OpenCongress Blog

Blog Feed Comments Feed More RSS Feeds

What the Senate's Unemployment Deal Looks Like

October 12, 2009 - by Donny Shaw

As I reported last week, the Senate has finally come to a decision on how to move forward with extending unemployment benefits. Basically, they decided to change the House bill, which would have only extended benefits in states with jobless rates above 8.5 percent, to all states.

The new Senate deal exists in the form of an amendment, S. Amndt. 2668, to the House bill, H.R. 3548, which is itself an amendment to last year’s unemployment extension bill, which is buried inside of the gigantic 2008 supplemental appropriations bill, H.R. 2642. Needless to say, it’s a pretty convoluted law-making process.

Thankfully, intrepid OpenCongress user Nancym, whose work we’ve highlighted previously on this blog, has pieced the disparate pieces of legislative text together to create a document that shows what the new amendment is actually doing. It lives here on the OpenCongress Wiki.

Like this post? Stay in touch by following us on Twitter, joining us on Facebook, or by Subscribing with RSS.

Comments

• charlene75 10/12/2009 7:26pm

Thank you very much from all of us suffering so much. I have now been without compensation for 30 days, starting to cancel services and give up timed purchases that include washer and dryer and my bed by end of week. My rent is behind one month, and I’m trying to go to school to get a degree as well as seek work, now since February 2009. Just recently had to pay $600 for dental work without insurance, and need $1,000 more asap. Godspeed to the passing and signing of extended benefits that will give us all more time to get a job and rebuild our lives.

Anonymous 10/15/2009 12:32pm

What are they waiting for, I just saw on the news that in the State of Georgia we are still at 10.2% unemployment rate and there are 6 persons for every one job. Get it together on the hill and sign the extension people are suffering!

• BLACKBERRY 10/13/2009 12:56pm

IVE BEEN OUT OF WORK FOR OVER A YEAR NOW.. FAXED AND EMAILED RESUMES FOR OVER 50 DIFFERENT COMPANIES STILL LOOKING FOR WORK.. I RAN OUT OF EXTENDED BENEFITS AND CANT AFFORD TO PAY RENT.LIGHT BILL. PRAYING THAT EVERYTHING WILL WORKOUT ON TIME BEFORE I END UP LOSING EVERYTHING.. LETS PRAY AND HOPE FOR THE BEST GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY WHOS IN THE STRUGGLE..

Anonymous 10/14/2009 6:13am

I hear that it has passed the house. When is it up for vote with the senate?

Anonymous 10/14/2009 6:29am

I completely agree. I have been unemployed for over 18 months and I am still unable to find a job. My unemployment has run out and I don’t know how much longer we will be able to make it before we get kicked out of our apartment.

We have already lost our home and 1 vehicle!

Does anyone know when the senate is scheduled to vote on the bill?

• danijos 10/13/2009 4:35pm

lets get it done Tonight! should have been done last night this is more important than anything else right now , The People Come first! God Bless Everyone Hope all works out for all of us

• chubz 10/13/2009 7:04pm

they also need to pas HR3404 or this whole ordeal is going to hit again in december when EUC Tiers I and II expire on the 27th of december 2009. HR3404 extends these deadlines to december of 2010. Otherwise newly unemployed people still collecting on their initial state claims or Tier I benefits that end after teh cutoff date will not be eligible for anything, at all.

• Anonymous 10/14/2009 4:21am

Its about time the overpaid congress got their heads out of their butts.This bill needs signed and I mean NOW

• Anonymous 10/14/2009 6:34am

Anyone think they will take this up when this bill is passes

What im talking about is this bill originaly included:
    Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009
    The Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 (H.R. 3404) would continue most of the EUC provisions into 2010 and extend EUC payments through June 2011. Those provisions include:

•Extending eligibility period for EUC Tiers 1 and 2 into 2010 (currently set to expire on December 26, 2009)
    •Extending cutoff date for the 33 weeks of EUC payments to June 2011 (all EUC payments are set to cease after June 6, 2010)
    •Continuation of $25-per-week payment originally established by the 2009 stimulus bill
    •Continued 100-percent federal funding of the Extended Benefit Program (currently set to revert to a 50/50 state/federal split on January 1, 2010)

• Anonymous 10/14/2009 9:28am

I am done with my unemployment benefits and can’t find work and I am taking care of my mom who has Alzheimer and I don’t have a nest egg to fall back on. So when is the senate going to vote. thank you

• rjsanchez 10/14/2009 9:47am

As everyone who’s comments I have been reading, I to have run out of unemployment, my sister-in-law is in the same boat. We have both had to move in with family. I have been out of work since December 2007 and have sent out resumes and have been to interviews, sometimes I feel as though it is due to age, I am 50 years old and have actively been seeking employment. When will congress get the bill passed and sent to the president for signature. We can all only hope that it will be sooner than later. Good luck to all.

• Anonymous 10/14/2009 11:24am

all of my extenstions ran out at the end of July. i have been over 2 months without a check. i don’t know what the senate is waiting for they are a bunch of jerkoffs. i hate to be so negative but times are tough nowadays. we need help and these republican senators object to a bill that will not only help americans but also stimulate the economy without adding to the federal deficit. i am sick of these people they need to be shot.

• Anonymous 10/14/2009 6:18pm

I have been out of work of 26 months, and my unemployment expired in early September. All savings gone, all stocks gone, 401k gone. I will be going to a zero cash balance on November 30th. Credit cards nearly maxed out. I have been a firm believer in education to prevent such things. I have a Ph.D., have done postdoctoral research, have worked in the pharmaceutical industry for 13 years, and have placed two drugs into the clinic. I too believe my age (near 47) has been a factor in getting a job. I would much rather be working than worrying about living on the street and wondering what I will be doing for food. No family to fall back on. What is wrong with Congress? Do they believe we like collecting unemployment? We need it badly, however we don’t like having to collect it. We would much rather be working. Congress needs an enema, and the time is now!

• Anonymous 10/15/2009 11:06am

I’ve been waiting for this to pass for a while. I will beleive it when it happens. Here’s what I am going to start doing until it passes. I’m writing Pass H.R. 3548 Now! on all my money with a sharpe.

• NoWayz 10/15/2009 2:02pm

Maybe the newest amendment strapped to the UB extension bill, the home buyers credit bill, will expidite the crucial passage of the unemployment benefit extension. All they have to do is label the home buyer tax credit “CASH FOR CRIBS” and the bill should be on President Obama’s desk by Monday. Yay!

Oh no, I forgot Obama is not in favor of the home buyers credit and thus will probably send it back to congress, sigh.

I had been in favor of healthcare reform but after witnessing the circus on the hill live on CSPAN this week I think I will opt for home health care. With the help of WebMD and the government allowing me to purchase any medication that hospitals are allowed to purchase, I prefer to have my life in my own hands.

Government should not have been allowed to adopt such complicted means of doing business. I call for an overhaul of the entire system.

• Anonymous 10/15/2009 2:36pm

what about texas?

• Anonymous 10/15/2009 2:43pm

ANY THERE, WHAT ABOUT TEXAS

• Anonymous 10/15/2009 8:28pm

Incredible, that the senators whom we put our trust and faith in, when we elected them. Now are not doing what promises they’ve made. Just like them, we have families to support, bills to pay, food to buy and vehicles to drive, to look for work. I’ve been unemployed for over a year now and not sign of a jon in site. These extensions help millions of Americans survive!! Who the HELL do these people think they are,
    playing with peoples lives like this. I pray they act quickly.

• Anonymous 10/16/2009 5:33am

Senators need to remember we can vote them out. They didn’t think Obama would win. Think again Senators! America is watching and suffering while you guys look employed, refreshed, and well fed. Karma!

• Anonymous 10/16/2009 6:32am

Everyday, You see and hear what the senate is doing on the health care reform, WHO CARES! Right now, when we can not even afford food weather we have long term health care is a moot point! We couldnt afford to pay for it anyway! But then thats the point to them, keep us down, control our lives.

I for one will not vote for a single senator who does not take this issue up NOW and vote on it! Each week it is oh should have a vote next week, originally this was to help those who were going to loss the benifit at the end of sep. Well that has come and gone.

Enough already! VOTE on it NOW!

Dennis – Illinois

Anonymous 10/16/2009 10:41am

I think at this point we all need to contract the White House, our State Reps and Sentors. We should all do this on the same day and time to send at message, The American workers are the ones who have been most hurt. AIG, the banks and GM got their bail outs without much wait. Why should we the worker of America have to wait for our bailout for jobs that have been lost because of corp. greed. If the unemployed do not get this extention, which I believe should be for six more months not 13 weeks, everything else will fall.

I say we all contact the White House, our State Reps and Sentors on Monday Oct 19th at 12:00 EST (9:00 PST) Call or contact with email…..get the work out to everyone you know to do this. If they choose not to pass this by next week we all will vote everyone of them out of office

• Anonymous 10/16/2009 11:59am

I just don’t get it. We have all the money in the world when it comes to weapons and stuff like that but the fact that there is even an issue to take care of our own people is an outrage. It shouldn’t even be an issue it should just be done. Maybe when people start to steal things to live and the crime rate starts to go up then maybe something will be done. I wonder what really has to happen for it to be an issue. For any other bills to be put in front of the unemplyment bill is wrong. The people who do all the living,paying,working,and dieing in this country should come first but as usual the middle class will sit back and let them do whatever they want to us. So many people in this country walk around thinking that this is the best place to live in the world but as time goes by and more and more stuff continues to happen I see that other countries have it all over us. One more thing—- Maybe one day when the health companies take the hooks out of hillary’s back we can get it done

• Anonymous 10/16/2009 4:52pm

IT’S NOT THE ENTIRE SENATE HOLDING IT UP, THE REPUBLICANS KEEP SHOOTING IT DOWN OVER STUPID REASONS. IT’S DONE CAME UP FOR A VOTE TWICE… BUT I READ THEY DID TAKE TIME THIS WEEK TO VOTE TO GIVE THEMSELVES A RAISE…HOPE EVERYONE REMEMBERS THIS COME ELECTION TIME……SIGNED…HUNGRY AND SOON TO BE HOMELESS.

• Anonymous 10/16/2009 5:21pm

THE REPUBLICANS VOTED VERY QUICKLY TO GIVE THEIR RICH BUDDIES HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS TO HELP BAIL OUT THEIR COMPANIES SO THEY CAN CONTINUE TO RIDE IN LIMOS AND FLY ON PRIVATE JETS BUT THEY HOLD UP ON GIVING ONLY 2.5 BILLION TO HELP OUT THE REAL AMERICANS OF THIS COUNTRY WITH AN EXTENSION…I HAVE VOTED REPUBLICAN IN THE PAST, BUT I’LL NEVER VOTE FOR ANOTHER ONE AGAIN.

• Anonymous 10/18/2009 5:49am

I am a business analyst and have been unemployed since July 2008. I have sent my resume in response to literally hundreds of job postings – and only rarely get any kind of response at all. If I do receive a response, it is to tell me that my resume was received and will “be kept on file” and/or that I am essentially ‘overqualified’. I’ve sent my resume to companies located across the Denver metro and mountain areas (am willing to re-locate and take a huge cut pay along with job-related responsibilities).None of these efforts have done a bit of good as I still get zero responses. I don’t expect to earn what I used to earn, but can’t even find a $10-12/hr job. I am sickened by what our government is doing and am on board with mass emails/phone calls to congress.

• Anonymous 10/18/2009 6:03am

I agree with all comments posted here. I especially agree with the comment posted on 10/16 @ 2:41 (above) “I say we all contact the White House, our State Reps and Sentors on Monday Oct 19th at 12:00 EST (9:00 PST) Call or contact with email….”

Similarly, why don’t people realize how out of control and sickening the whole banking mess is. The banks are ripping us off in HUGE ways – with the blessing of congress and the White House. Why don’t people realize that we can stop this – PULL YOUR $$$ OUT of the big banks-NOW! Most of us don’t have any $$, let alone $100k- FDIC insured amount. Use your heads people! They can’t operate or do an of this if we move our checking & savings OUT of big banks!

• Anonymous 10/18/2009 7:15am

I have contacted the MD State Senators, and the White House. They were polite. The White House response was extremely generic “i.e. we are working on ways to..etc..etc..” MD Senatorial staff gave me some agencies that can give emergency rental, food, medical assistance. However, most programs are for people with children under age 18. That leaves me out. You also have to go to court, get a judgement against you for rent before they help. I too am over 50 and have had difficulties in getting responses to my applications for employment. MD State government advised me that I was eligible to be a “General Clerk” after working all my life in offices. My point is, we can write and call but there has to be something stronger that can be done to force their hand. I will forward this page link to my senators. I have urged them to “vote and pass it now.” Perhaps we need a miracle or an act of God for them to see that they are hurting their own people..

• Anonymous 10/18/2009 9:46am

the law finally pass

• MsDubya 10/18/2009 6:22pm

I’m ready to leave this Capitalistic cesspool. Where to go?

• Anonymous 10/18/2009 8:06pm

Too much stress from waiting on the senate to pass this bill….

Due to the archiving of this blog, comment posting has been disabled.