OpenCongress Blog

Blog Feed Comments Feed More RSS Feeds

Bailout Politics Now Delaying Unemployment Benefits Bill

October 29, 2009 - by Donny Shaw

Miek Lillis at the Washington Independent has the latest on the Senate Republicans’ tactics for delaying passage of the unemployment benefits extension bill (H.R. 3548):

Moments ago, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) shot down a motion by Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to proceed to legislation extending federal unemployment insurance by up to 20 weeks in the states hit hardest by the recession. It marks the fourth time in three weeks that GOP leaders have prevented the bill from advancing, though the reasons behind the stalemate have changed.

Specifically, GOP leaders have dropped their insistence that the Senate consider amendments related to ACORN and immigration. Instead, they’re now demanding a vote on a provision to fund the unemployment insurance extension with stimulus funds, and another to move up the expiration date for the Troubled Asset Relief Program, which enable federal bailouts of Wall Street firms — both non-starters with Democrats.

The bill has already been approved by the House and Senate Democrats want to keep it clean so that it can be moved forward in the legislative process without being bogged down by unrelated, highly-contentious political issues.

Like this post? Stay in touch by following us on Twitter, joining us on Facebook, or by Subscribing with RSS.

Comments

• Anonymous 10/29/2009 1:29pm

I don’t think anyone can comment… with our jaws dropped to the floor over this blatant vindictive conniving political wrangling by Repukelicans while we are being evicted from our homes!!!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH OF THIS … Can anyone suggest anything to do about this travesty? I’ve been out of work for 1 1/2 yrs and out of benefits for over a month. Still not even one job interview… I heard the lies Kyl was spewing yesterday and couldn’t watch any longer. He actually ignored the fact that millions ARE ALREADY OUT OF BENEFITS and suggested that they (the Senate) had till the end of the year… IS HE SERIOUS OR JUST PLAIN STUPID? I’m sorry for this rant but am seriously infuriated and hurt they there is so much disregard for THE PEOPLE.

• Anonymous 10/29/2009 2:06pm

The Democrats want it to move along without any incumbrances??? You have to be kidding. Now the Democrats are ven trying to screw us. Pass the damn bill no matter what is included in it. All that can be corrected after the bill is passed and sign. Now Obama really needs to step in and I bet he won’t.

• dartcanyon 10/29/2009 2:18pm

This is absolutely out of line. We have given this damn government tax money for many, many years and every unemployment dollar is still taxed so the idiots get all their money back. How can you have faith in this Washington BS when they are doing nothing but lying and driving the unemployed Americans into the ground. But….they have sent billions to Afghanistan and other countries this week, spent 10 million on a damn rocket and the idiot beat goes on. They can give the friggin’ Taliban money and not the critically unemployed Americans?? OMG….we have lost our country folks. The only ones who are going to survive are the crooks, liars, con people and all that. Watch the crime rate keep climbing because the only way people will be able to survive will be by robbing stores, banks and selling drugs and OUR country is driving us to it. Washington already does all that anyway but they have their cloak of rich darkness to protect them. March on Washington!!!!!

• Anonymous 10/29/2009 3:05pm

Why didn’t Reid accept McConnell’s challenge to bring it to the floor and vote on it this afternoon? I turned cspan on right when McConnel told Reid," You have sixty votes,just vote the admendments down."

• Debbie52 10/29/2009 3:17pm

Please pass this bill. Ask the senator if they can put their hands in their pocket and pull out a $10.00…while the unemployed can’t. Are you putting your kids to bed tonight hungry…well the unemployed are…stop this please!

• asunemployeddad 10/29/2009 5:26pm

well, most of you know my thoughts. I have been out of work for close to two years now and don’t have a path to go unless it is to go to school and learn a new trade. Electrician … and seems that things should be “Okay” but you know it isn’t. Unemployed/go to school. . . how do you pay for it, school that is? Then there is the start a new career at 58 – 60 years old. I doubt that and if so, what field? I agree, we need new openings in the job market but as long as I go to the store and my only choice for merchandise of any sort says “Made in China” or anywhere else other than USA, those jobs won’t exist. We do need this bill to pass, but also we need a cure for the problem, we need manufacturing to be broght back to the USA. We need big business to make a profit/yes, but allow the American citizen to be able to live and support their families. We need our country to support itself, not other countries and their people

• Anonymous 10/29/2009 6:12pm

I watched McConnell challenge Reid.
    My impression was…lets call it to a vote.
    And watch it fail.
    McConnell seemed too sure his “boys” would back him up.
    Unfortunately…those we have elected, are not working for us.
    They work for their own agenda…nothing else.
    They will never have to worry about keeping their lights on, or
    feeding their kids.
    Why? Because THEY voted to let YOU support them FOREVER with
    retirement benefits after just a few years of service?

Anonymous 10/30/2009 4:07am

How could it fail. Dems have sixty votes?

• Anonymous 10/30/2009 5:33am

PASS THE VOTE ALREADY NOW IT WILL BE ANOTHER 2 MONTHS!!! WE WILL SEE NOTHNG BEFORE THE NEW YEAR

• Anonymous 10/30/2009 7:24am

Great,nothing till monday at 5:00. Hope they enjoy their weekend.

• Anonymous 10/30/2009 8:10am

so now on monday, do you think they’ll agree on something to pass it or are they going to drag this on

• Anonymous 10/30/2009 9:59am

WOW.. I can not believe the bull crap….please pass this.

• humdinger 10/30/2009 1:42pm

To all members of the Senate (both Republican AND Democrat), please pass the bill NOW…

• Anonymous 10/30/2009 4:33pm

I can not believe that we are going in the same circle again This unemployment bill needs to have already passed. I have been out of work for 1 1/2 years. no luck on finding a job. I have been out of benefits for 6 weeks. I think those senators and the representatives need to wear our shoes for awhile and let the unemployed wear their shoes for awhile. This bill needs to past and we need to get back pay. They need to take care of the people who put them in office. the bill needed to pass several weeks ago. There needs to be a way to pass this bill without all BS and be able to get our payment to us real quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous 10/31/2009 3:50am

MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN OUT OF WORK FOR 1 YEAR AND WE ARE LOSING EVERYTHING WE EVER WORKED FOR. WE NEED HELP, I SPEND COUNTLESS HOURS FILLING OUT APPS WITH HIM AND NO INTERVIEWS, I AM BEGGING WE NEED HELP! PLEASE PASS THIS BILL!! WE CAN NOT HELP THERE ARE NO JOBS, WE NEVER PLANNED FOR THIS, WE THOUGHT WE WERE SAFE WE LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES, I HAVE HAD TO GO TO FOOD BANKS FOR FOOD, BORROW MONEY FROM FAMILY, WE NEED HELP I AM BEGGING PLEASE, KANSAS CITY KANSAS NEEDS HELP AS WELL AS ALL OTHER STATES!!

• Anonymous 10/31/2009 3:24pm

Now is not the time to say “please pass the bill” (stop the begging.) IT IS TIME TO GET INDIGNANT AND ANGRY!
    We, the unemployed, have put up with enough. While the politicians play games, the unemployed suffer.
    TIME TO CALL THE OBSTRUCTIONISTS OUT. Poliical philosophies do not put food on the table.
    CALL YOUR LOCAL NEWSPAPERS AND MEDIA STATIONS, AND DEMAND TO KNOW WHY THERE ISN’T MORE COVERAGE (NATIONAL AND LOCAL) ON THE STATUS OF THE UNEMPLOYMENT ISSUE. Politicians do not like reporters and calls from constituents demanding answers. IF THEY ARE INNUNDATED WITH CALLS, ACTION WILL RESULT.

• Lynette1015 11/01/2009 12:35pm

My heart goes out to everyone who has written in to respond….. I am 60 years old and have been unemployed for 1 1/2 years!!!!! I live in Colorado and I sit here at my computer and read all of this and tears roll down my face. We (my husband) and myself have lost everything, I can’t borrow from my kids anymore, we are 1 week from losing our home (rental) and people I want to scream!!!!!!!! My Goverment has let me down…. How does a couple of 60 years old start all over? I can’t buy a job even if I had money, I am almost out of my medications and I guarantee those in Washington are not suffering at all… HELL even the White House had a party yesterday!!!! I have written several notes on here and I fear that NO-ONE other than you guys read it. I’m soooooo tired and have nowhere to go. PLEASE HELP.. I have no other place to turn. I need my unemployment NOW

• sansdollar 11/01/2009 12:35pm

This is truly obsurd, part of their strategy to throw us under the bus to gain some kind of crap we can’t even care about ’cause we are losing everything we worked 45 years for.

This intangible ‘saved/created’ jobs BS is so ludicris…who is the idiot who came up w/that insulting concept?

Repubs are impotent to pass anything, this is the only power they can exert, don’t jack around with our families like this.

• sansdollar 11/01/2009 12:36pm

We don’t want the benefit, but, political actions have made it mandatory. Otherwise, we can’t pay our bills, mortgage/rent, utilities, food and take care of our health/dental needs. Even if we file bankruptcy we still need food, rent and a way to get to a possible interview.

This is the thanks I get for raising a son who would give his LIFE for this country and YOUR JOB????

Pass this until you have created an environment where employers know they’ll need us to rebuild this great country!

Storming DC?..as if…like we could afford that! All we can do is innundate with feedback, as if they cared. Those w/decades in Congress should lose it all…we won’t forget this!

• sansdollar 11/01/2009 12:49pm

And another thing, troops won’t come home…there are no jobs!

Using the reserves and rewriting bankruptcy laws tells me this was in the works a long time ago to lead us down a path of dependence, not independence.

A plan to shake the foundation of a large segment of the population and to take away everything we built our lives and our future on…change the rules after the fact. We played by the rules and this is where we end up? It takes a smart person to take care of the masses and create an environment of security… aparently we have none of that now, only politicians with agendas who take advantage of people who trusted them! I know they think we are a bunch of fools. Shame on us/US. Thanks for listening to my rant, given in total frustration.

• sansdollar 11/02/2009 5:10pm

You guys are not going to believe this…we just received a blue envelope from the Republicans…marked PAST DUE in red!!!!!! WHAAAAAAT????

That’s all I need…another past due envelope.

It is OBSURD that such a fundraising envelope from Michael Steele, RNC is used to try to get us to donate money. ARE YOU FREAKIN’ KIDDIN ME? PAST DUE????

No, we did not promise them money (when they call once a week) and not pay! Every time they call (day and night), they get an ear full. Esp focused on how we have no money, thank you very much, no hope of a job and no unemployment benefits. Thanks again for listening, I am just beside myself. The gall…the nerve.

Due to the archiving of this blog, comment posting has been disabled.