OpenCongress Blog

Blog Feed Comments Feed More RSS Feeds

Unemployment Bill Jumps Through Final Procedural Hoop

November 4, 2009 - by Donny Shaw

From The Hill, the latest on H.R. 3548, the unemployment benefits, homebuyer tax credits and carry-back relief extension bill:

Senate Democrats succeeded on Wednesday at ending debate on a bill that would extend most Americans’ jobless benefits by at least 14 weeks.

The 97-1 cloture vote concludes a four-week standoff between the majority party and GOP leaders over the extension, a version of which passed the House in September.

Democrats now expect a final vote on the substance of the bill to take place late Thursday.

The lone “no” vote on today’s cloture vote was Sen. Jim DeMint [R, SC].

The final vote on passage will require a simple majority of 51 votes to be approved. After that it goes back to the House of Representatives, which is expected to agree to the Senate’s changes and send it to President Obama for his signature quickly.

Like this post? Stay in touch by following us on Twitter, joining us on Facebook, or by Subscribing with RSS.

Comments

• mcbrazius 11/04/2009 7:42am

please pass people are starving and almost losing homes. I am a single mother and need money desperately, my unemployment ran out Oct 5. Please help us.

• onemudstud 11/04/2009 12:10pm

I have a questions to anyone that may know the answere to. Are these benefits going to be retro?, paid out in a lump sum if a person has been filing after the first benefits were used up ( my case 9 weeks) or is it going to be pais out from this week forward??

dartcanyon 11/04/2009 1:28pm

Nothing has been said yet about retro. The bill itself will have that wording. I don’t think it will be the case tho’. but we should be thankful we got this. It passed with no NAY votes SENATUS states so what in hell were the Republicans doing all this time?? Just being their usual Asshole selves. I can’t believe that so many Independents are going over to the GOP. They must have bumped their heads. I hope we all have holidays as expected…we deserve it for sure.

MrG 11/04/2009 9:36pm

I doubt if its even this week forward, here in Pennsylvaina have to wait for a letter of determination from dept. of labor&industry to determine elgilabilty then its 2 weeks befor any money arrives but a lump sum never when did unemployment ever pay a lump sum ammount

krasdcher1 11/05/2009 5:26am

The only time I ever got a lump sum from unemployment was when there was something wrong with their computer system and I didn’t get paid for six weeks. So, the money was there but a technical problem was blocking me from getting paid. When they figured it out, i got paid for all six weeks at once. But they said we will not receive retro for this extension

dartcanyon 11/05/2009 9:11am

House just passed bill 403-12! Now on to Obama. If the states want to it doesn’t take that long to get the checks out especially for those of us who have the most recent ending benefits. ALl our information is in the system and all they need to do is press the buttons to update and disperse.

krasdcher1 11/05/2009 5:23am

I read all of the details of the bill and also I watched the first senate vote on the 27th and no the benefits will not be retro. I wish I had better news but as I understand it, whenever you receive the letter from unemployment about the extension with your call-in day, you certify and will be paid for only those two weeks. But, keep your spirits up because you will have at least 14 weeks. I don’t know what state you are in but I live in Illinois and last time I checked we were at 10.5% jobless rate so we should get 20 weeks. :)

dartcanyon 11/05/2009 8:53am

Again, they are discussing a bunch of can wait issues today but on the MSNBC Internet site there is a great article by John W. Schoen, Senior Producer, about the unemployment dilemma. It is a great, straight forward article that tells it like it is. He is the first media person I have seen to take our side and really understand where we are at. If possible read this. It lets us know that there is at least 1 person out there who cares and understands. Jobless claims down it says this morning?? He and everyone else calls it BS. Just another tactic by politicians to not do the right thing for this country’s citizens.

• jmfirs 11/04/2009 2:07pm

Well they finally did it. The Senate, after numerous cloture votes, passed their version of H R 3548 today (11/4/2009). Now it’s back to the House which is expected to accept it and then on to President Obama. This is none too soon. Many of us have run out of unemployment benefits, including myself. I figure it may be another two weeks before EDD here in California gets this rolling. The other states may or may not take longer to get the benefits to their people. As for being retroactive payments, I think each state will decide that.

• uesinglemom75 11/04/2009 3:32pm

Sorry but everything I have read thus far since October states that this bill will not be retro active but will be going forward. We will get some back pay from the day the new extension is made law but none before it. I am really concerned about the eligibility time lines with this new bill. All the people whos benefits end in January will not be eligible for this newest extension and that puts a lot of people out in the could so to speak. Ky UI offices have been telling people that it will more than likely be mid-December before they can get the first check to people! I need money now I am being threatend with eviction in my rental and I’ve already lost my house and had to give up my dogs because the rental rules do not allow pets. I couldn’t aford to feed them either. I don’t know how much more I can take!

• Activist77 11/04/2009 3:43pm

i do believe hr3548 is a done deal 98 aye,

• mkail666 11/04/2009 6:54pm

Why are they rushing to extend unemployment benefits again when the stimulus bill is creating so many jobs?

• MrG 11/04/2009 9:30pm

mkai666,how many jobs have been created by the stimulus bill and where are they there are none here in Pennsylvaina I even applied for a part time job for a clerk at our local convient store 1 job 137 people applied hard to believe that I know but thats the way it is and not just here there are no jobs out there

• missvicki 11/06/2009 2:21pm

It passed.But there won’t be a turkey on my Thanksgiving table. Going to take time for letters to get out. Then your call in date and distribution of check. I’d say another 3-5 weeks.Not retro all new ball game.
    Maybe a Christmas.

dartcanyon 11/07/2009 1:05am

On Friday, November 6, 2009, President Obama signed new federal legislation making further unemployment extension benefits available. The first eligible week for the new benefits is the week starting Sunday, November 8, 2009. Any time spent unemployed and without benefits before then is not covered by the new federal legislation.

Although the new extensions do provide the potential for up to 20 additional weeks of benefits for higher unemployment states, including California, it’s likely six weeks of those benefits won’t be available due to pending federal filing deadlines at the end of the year.

dartcanyon 11/07/2009 1:06am

Continued from previous.

The new extensions set new records for benefit weeks available in a federal extension program and will require complex programming to implement. EDD is working around the clock to ensure payments can be made as quickly as possible. It’s currently estimated that will take several weeks.

In the meantime, there is no need to contact EDD. We will be contacting potentially eligible claimants and notifying them of developments. Once programming is in place, we will follow up with further instructions and automatically file the extensions for as many of our clients as possible. We may also need to contact some clients at that time and request further information. Please watch this Web site for further updates.

dartcanyon 11/07/2009 1:06am

We need to find out what this “it’s likely six weeks of those benefits won’t be available due to pending federal filing deadlines at the end of the year” is about. Federal filing dates should not screw anyone out of a cent. That is something else that is not our fault. I’ll be writing politicians about this nonsense.

dartcanyon 11/17/2009 1:45pm

Does everyone know that the extra 6 weeks the high unemployment states are supposed to get may not happen?? It has to be approved by Congress regardless of what Obama signed. Something to do with year end federal filing guidelines. Still trying to stick it to us. CA hasn’t even started contacting people or anything. Lame excuses all the way around. We’ll be lucky to see anything before 2010.

Due to the archiving of this blog, comment posting has been disabled.