OpenCongress Blog

Blog Feed Comments Feed More RSS Feeds

Coburn Now Using Arcane Procedure to Stall Unemployment Bill

June 17, 2010 - by Donny Shaw

The Senate is already weeks behind schedule on passing the unemployment insurance and tax extenders bill and it’s not clear that any of the pending compromises will bring them to the 60 votes they need. To make things worse, Sen. Tom Coburn [R, OK] is now using an infamous dilatory procedure known as a “clay pigeon” to force votes on dozens of amendments. Roll Call ($) reports:

Sen. Tom Coburn used parliamentary tactics Thursday to try to trip up Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s (D-Nev.) plans to pass a tax and unemployment extension bill this week.

The Oklahoma Republican, using a procedure known as a clay pigeon, split his pending amendment to fully pay for the extenders bill into 20 separate pieces, which means that in theory the chamber could be forced to vote 20 times on various aspects of his proposal.

Coburn has used similar tactics in the past, but he and Reid have usually been able to negotiate an agreement to pare down the number of amendments the chamber ultimately votes on.

Besides slowing things down, this clay pigeon move has the potential to introduce poison pills to the bill that could threaten what support it does have.

Like this post? Stay in touch by following us on Twitter, joining us on Facebook, or by Subscribing with RSS.

Comments

• Manstein16 06/17/2010 11:50am

This is the epitome of political foolhardiness. Not only is it completely unnecessary as the bill is already stalled, but it’s a slap in the face of the 400,000 unemployed Americans who are no longer receiving benefits because it is stalled. What’s Coburn’s endgame, pork? Does Oklahoma State’s football program need more money now that the conference apocalypse has been averted?

romeoclown 06/18/2010 1:52am

Baukus says 99 is enough can this moron count the first 26 weeks is paid by us and employers.

Chris51 07/01/2010 9:47am

Corporations have increased their cash reserves to $1.84 TRILLION, THE HIGHEST FIGURE IN HISTORY! Big business and the banks, after an unprecedented bailout by the public treasury, are hoarding the funds (Americans pay this back on their IRS tax bill). BIG CORPORATIONS EXECUTIVES ARE MAKING BIG BONUSES AND GETTING SALARY INCREASES FOR SHOWING HUGE PROFITS. The cash reserves of major corporations have jumped 26 percent in one year, the largest percentage increase in nearly 60 years. The cash reserves of working people, and particularly the unemployed, have not been so fortunate.

REPUBLICANS bloc, the SENATE vote and defeat sevaral proposed extension of unemployment benefits for unemployed workers. Many of these same Senators rushed through a $700 BILLION bailout of Wall Street in 2008 in a matter of days, cannot bring itself to support even the most meager subsistence for the unemployed workers who are the victims, not the perpetrators, of the economic crisis.
    WWW.CHANGE.ORG

Chris51 07/08/2010 7:27pm

GOP are determined to bloc everything the President is trying to do for the USA right now. He has a vested interest, and seems to take pride in doing the best job he can while in office.
    We are in trouble as long as Republican politicians continue favoring their special interest.
    How can any CEO or Owner of business get anything done if half of his managers or executives stand in his way just to be defiant.

President Obama speech on CSPAN today, while in Kansas City, MO to support a future candidate. Was right on.
    If you are an unemployed American, and are thinking no one understands the difficulties of being jobless. Obama speech articulated the financial and emotional struggles well. Hat’s off to the President for saying what needed to be said.

Chris51 07/08/2010 7:27pm

Senator’s excuse for not passing is a false statement.
    The funding argument is even harder to swallow. I’d be more sympathetic with these new converts to fiscal responsibility if they were as enthusiastic about paying for extending $32 billion worth of special interest tax breaks as they are about funding the unemployment extension. If I understand correctly, these lawmakers insist that Congress fund every dime of added jobless aid, which nearly all analysts agree will help boost the economy. But they feel no need to pay for continuing these special interest tax breaks, which will not.
    Full Story:

• XvxRAINxvX 06/17/2010 11:51am

So basically what you are saying Mr. Shaw is that we are screwed. This is just very disheartening to read. So do you think these guys will come to an agreement anytime soon that would just pass the unemployment extension you know the part that most every unemployment exhaustee is worried about?

Manstein16 06/17/2010 12:18pm

I’m not Mr. Shaw, but it seems unlikely. The Democrats promised the AMA that they’d reverse the Medicare cuts contained in the HCR legislation in exchange for its support; they’re already behind on that particular debt (technically the cuts have already gone into effect, although they’ve yet to occur in practice). If they disconnect the “doc fix” from the unemployment legislation then they’ll need to find a separate piece of politically popular legislation to hogtie it to, a move that would take weeks or even months. Needless to say, the AMA is already upset that the doc fix is two weeks late; you can imagine how they’ll react if it’s months late.

No, the fate of the unemployment bill will be the fate of the doc fix, and vice versa.

• wes00 06/17/2010 12:00pm

I really CANNOT believe this is happening. I have been unemployed since Nov. 2008,and it still isn’t getting easier out there. WE STILL NEED HELP!! and for them to keep stalling something as important as this , only to have thousands of unemployment Americans hanging in limbo is really the “epitome of political foolhardiness”.

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

• DeviantD 06/17/2010 12:08pm

This is utterly ridiculous…I’d like to see them try and deal with not being able to pay their bills let alone put food on the table. I’m on my last dime and had to work out agreements with my utilities, let alone borrow money from friends and family just to survive!!! Let’s not forget where this money comes from. IT’S OUR MONEY, THE MONEY WE PAID INTO THIS SYSTEM FOR DECADES, at least for me. And anyone that is dumb enough to make a comment about this being the new form of welfare needs to realize that this is MY taxpayer dollars for all the year I HAVE WORKED!!! Don’t think it’s YOUR dollars paying for ME! It’s my dollars that have been put into the system for years now. NOW IS WHEN WE NEED THE HELP! When unemployment is at a normal rate then I can understand not doling out extensions but we’re STILL flirting with double digits..Enough is enough Congress, wake up and smell the coffee!

• tweetybird499 06/17/2010 12:23pm

Not to mention the fact that once this bills is put into law it will take the unemployment offices weeks to process everyone’s applications. So once we all lose our houses or electric is shut off or cars are reposessed then we will get our money.

• ladias 06/17/2010 12:27pm

I made minimum wage as a waitress and loved my job. But when my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 brain, and lung cancer, I quit to take care of her. When she passed away I started receiving unemployment benefits. I have been searching for a job for a year and six months now, and still nothing. The unemployment I receive gets me buy month to month, and without it I don’t know what I am going to do. I believe congress should make a decision now!!! Help us already!!

• enrico17 06/17/2010 12:38pm

I am very much in support of this bill and all you the unemployed. I just contacted Dr.Coburn’s office to ask why is he not supporting the bill. I was told that he does but he just wants it paid for and his representative said to me “do you want your tax dollars to pay for it”. I was livid. I,of course, said yes, and that all the people who are unemployed also paid taxes, and paid into unemployment insurance. Interesting he is up for election in Nov. and wants to look as if he is concerned about the deficit. Be concerned elsewhere, this is an emergency even though most Reps do not want to say it, and it should not be pay as you go. Either the Reps or Dems have to step back and let this through. Oklahoma remember this in Nov.

• tiredofbeingtired 06/17/2010 12:43pm

That’s the world we live in. This system of doing things is terrible and the more we rely on it, the more it will let us down. It is true what the bible says, “Men really cannot direct their own steps”. Only God can. It is clear that these people do not have the best interest of the people they are supposed to help. They don’t care and honestly they never will. They are simply there to get their paycheck, and they’ll lie in November to try to get a term so they can get more paychecks…all from the hardworking (few left) taxpayers.

• SBRULO 06/17/2010 2:20pm

Are they going to vote tonight or what? I need to know if I can pay my bills. No one answers at Coburn’s offices in Oklahoma or Washington DC. Are they going to vote? If not when?

• DeviantD 06/17/2010 2:33pm

Last I heard is about a vote possibly happening tomorrow. Then IF it passes it will have to go back to the House to be voted on by them again…so best case scenario, no check next week but maybe the week after. Worst case, well, I think we’re already there.

• SBRULO 06/17/2010 2:41pm

thank you. They are now voting to limit debate on Baucus amendment. Unreal as we all sit and wait.

• SDeMunn 06/17/2010 2:55pm

I don’t know what stalling the bill is going to do besides hurt the people including myself. I have been on unemployment since July of last year. I am now waiting to see if I can afford my bill.. The wonderful government.

• jgpt777 06/17/2010 3:00pm

SENATOR tom coburn FROM OK, YOU NEED TO GO HOME BACK TO OKLAHOMA AND SCREW YOUR SELF, BECAUSE YOU JUST KEEP SCREWING OVER THE AMERICANS WHO PUT YOU IN OFFICE. YOU ARE A SELFISH GREEDY LITTLE MAN, THAT IS WHY I TYPED YOUR NAME IN SMALL TYPE.

Coburn Now Using Arcane Procedure to Stall Unemployment Bill
    June 17, 2010 – by Donny Shaw

• matador5150 06/17/2010 3:15pm

GREEDY REPUBLICANS NEED TO STOP HURTING AMERICA’S REPUTATION…FIRST, F**K SENATOR COBURN…HE IS A F***KING SELFISH FOOL…IN FACT, F**K ALL REPUBLICANS…MANY PEOPLE ARE DEPENDING ON UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSIONS IN ORDER TO SURVIVE…WE ARE NOT ALL RICH LIKE COBURN AND HIS COPORATE BUDDIES…PLUS, THERE ARE NO JOBS OUT THERE…AND, F**K BP…WE OWE THEM NO APOLOGIES AND THE FINE SHOULD BE WAY MORE THAN 20 BILLION…F**K REPUBLICANS!!!

• SBRULO 06/17/2010 3:24pm

well there you have it—-a vote to hurt the people

• catsat43 06/17/2010 5:37pm

Senator George Voinovich, Republican – Ohio ….Thank you for always giving the NEY vote for unemployment extentions. You have nothing to worry about your reputation in Ohio in the fall for reelection cause you are not going to run. How lovely for you as you will receive a check and healthcare the rest of your life. Will you be able to sleep well in your confortable bed as many of us will at best be under a bridge for shelter. If you can’t give us unemployment than damn it give us jobs… Just for curious sakes, what kind of car do you drive,cause my late 90’s chevy was just repoed. Could I borrow yours to continue looking for work?

Chris51 06/30/2010 10:55pm

The Senate needs to be held accountable for their incompetence and lack of integrity. Shame on them for not coming up with a 100% solution for all Americans who are forced to survive on their UI.

President Obama can’t sign a bill, if Congress doesn’t get it to him. President Obama’s discussed the economy, and the need to help the displaced unemployed with UI Extentions on Monday and Tuesday. CSPAN.ORG

As of today, we have 9.7% unemployed, 55% of the workforce have taken reduced work hours, pay-cuts, unpaid leave, forced to switch to part-time, and BP Oil Corporation’s IRRESPONSIBLENESS is adding to LOST JOBS and LOST LIVES.
    1.2 million who will lose their Unemployment Insurance if Republicans get their way.

The GOP have no vested interest in hearing or helping jobless people. The only communication Republicans hear is $$$$$. That’s why they listen to and only support Oil Companies, Insurance Companies, Banks, Big Corporations, and Wall Street

• jgpt777 06/17/2010 5:39pm

I THOUGHT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE FROM OKLAHOMA WERE GOOD GOD FEARING DOWN TO EARTH PEOPLE, I KNOW THERE IS ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY, THAT A GOOD AREA.

BUT WHO IN HELL VOTED IN THIS GUY, TOM COBURN? HE IS SCREWING OVER ALL THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ON UNEMPLOYMENT AND MAKING OKLAHOMA PEOPLE LOOK GREEDY AND NASTY.

HEY HIS NAME SUITES HIM WELL: TOM CO BURN

HE IS A UNCLE TOM THAT SUPPORTS THE CO. AND HE IS BURNING US ALL.

SCREW YOU SENATOR BURN

• Liberal4Change 06/17/2010 6:28pm

Well, hold onto your hats folks! We are heading for a double dip recession. My one bright spot is that the amount of “weekly as you go taxes” I pay to the government is down 66%. We will get most of tht back. My husband still has a job, but I was the top bread winner in the family. Now if so many of us are paying less taxes what will that do to the deficit? And of course today some idiot chief economist declared the worst ot the recession is over? I wonder if you can vote if you live in a tent city?

• nolongeraproudamerican 06/17/2010 10:50pm

Hey Washington! Why don’t you get off of your fat overpaid self serving asses and do right by the American People for a change instead of causing more grief,frustration,depression and worry for hard working taxpayers that are out of work thanks to the mismanagement and greed of the people that you politicians really support.You spend so much time and energy on issues that don’t address the main problems that are occurring today……Continued

• J9007 06/18/2010 3:35am

Why can’t the unemployment bill be just unemployment? Remove the amendments that keep the bill from passing. Seems simple to me but I am not a politician.

• general 06/18/2010 3:54am

Thanks coburn for for jumping on the screw the unemployed band wagon where would we be without you I hope we find out come election time!

• general 06/18/2010 4:20am

O yeah I hear your worried about how to pay for the bill are you worried about how to pay for the two wars you have us in why not because your buddies at Halabourton and Black Water are making billions not mention the dozens of other war profitiers making money while our guys fight and die.The Americian people are not as ignorant as you think.So tell me how are we paying for this and why can’t you people seem to find the money to help the unemployed people who are only unemployed because of you and your party and the years of supporting the rich who ultimately brought this Depression Upon We The People

• general 06/18/2010 5:36am

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,71 that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it.

Due to the archiving of this blog, comment posting has been disabled.