OpenCongress Blog

Blog Feed Comments Feed More RSS Feeds

Dems Give Up on GOP, Deal With K Street Instead on Extenders Bill

June 23, 2010 - by Donny Shaw

As I’ve been writing about on this blog for weeks, Senate Democrats are trying to pass a bill (H.R. 4213) combining an unemployment insurance extension, stimulative tax credits, state aid for Medicaid, and tax hikes on hedge funds and oil companies. They need at least two Republican votes in order to break a filibuster, but, so far, no Republicans are going along with them.

CongressDaily ($) reports this morning that the Dems are changing up their strategy. Rather than trying to strike a deal with the GOP, they are going to work directly with the infamous fourth branch of government — corporate lobbyists:

Senate Finance Democratic staff have called a meeting later today with K Street officials to talk about the stalled “extender” package that includes tax break renewals important to the business community. According to lobbyists, Finance Democrats want to know what it will take to get companies on board with securing the last couple of GOP votes to pass tax breaks such as the R&D credit, active financing exemption for overseas lending, and other items. K Street wants those provisions passed but cannot stomach the revenue-raisers, including those impacting their international operations.

The stalemate has left Medicare physician payments in limbo, as the House will not take those up without movement on the broader extender bill. With the prospect of physicians dropping Medicare patients before the November elections, Democrats know it is “do or die time” on the extender bill, one industry official said.

The idea, I guess, is that the Republicans will vote however the lobbyists want them to.

Like this post? Stay in touch by following us on Twitter, joining us on Facebook, or by Subscribing with RSS.

Comments

• PattiForestFalls 06/23/2010 7:43am

This whole situation seems so unfair. While I am thankful to have been able to collect benefits for the past several months, 8 of that was spent in school being retrained in the healthcare field to better myself. Now that I am out of school I still can’t find a job and now benefits have been cut off. Can’t even apply for food stamps because no notification has been received stating I am no longer receiving benefits. There is something terribly wrong with the way this is being handled. Please fix it soon.

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

jgpt777 06/23/2010 8:21am

HEY,

PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE OTHERS WHO WERE LAID OFF BECAUSE OF THE BAD ECONOMY, IF PATTIFORESTFALLS GOT SOME TRAINING DURING THE TIME SHE WAS SEEKING EMPLOYMENT, THAT GREAT!!
    IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ACCEPTED A SEASONAL JOB, COMPARED TO OTHERS, WHO USUALLY WORK FULL TIME ALL YEAR AROUND. SO WE ALL GET WHAT WE PUT INTO UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE. REMEMBER ITS NOT WELFARE..IT IS INSURANCE.

sldhouston 06/23/2010 8:40am

Carrie… so are you really blaming us for trying to better ourselves? I mean, we have sit at home spent countless hours trying to find work. IT ISN’T THERE! So rather than to sit in idle, we chose to get an education while in the process and I’M PROUD TO HAVE GONE BACK TO COLLEGE! It’s better for us to collect the unemployment, go to school and DO SOMETHING w/our time rather than to get unemployment and goof off the day. Seems to me your frustration is geared towards the unemployed for trying to get ahead while YOU make better wages… you have to remember that many of us in college again, will eventually find work and we’ll have to balance work and school. You don’t just quit school once you get a job. I’m sorry that you seem to be a little jealous that you’re not one of us… but you seriously should check yourself before you judge us.

sldhouston 06/23/2010 8:44am

I guess we should just starve, lose our homes, cars, etc all b/c Carrie is mad @ us and cannot go back to school while we worry from day to day how we’re going to SURVIVE… Sorry Carrie, your statement was heartless. Seriously… I hope you are in our shoes soon! I’m sick of you people attacking us acting like you know it all, what it’s like and how it is.

Chris51 06/30/2010 7:08am

• It’s the Republican party who is busy watching out for Wall Street/Corporations.
    Shame on Congress for not coming up with a solution for ALL its’ displaced hard working Americans.
    • 9.7% unemployed = 1.2 million Americans, and 55% of the workforce have taken reduced work hours, pay-cuts, unpaid leave, forced to switch to part-time. The BP Oil Corporation’s irresponsibleness is adding to lost jobs and lost lives.

Yesterday, President Obama’s discussed what was happening with corporations, the economy, and the need to help the displaced unemployed. Watch his entire interview on CSPAN. He gets it.

CNN and FOX only report on self-interested, with their main story and topics cycling 24 hours. Go to CSPAN
    CSPAN: http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Media/2010/06/29/HP/A/34826/Pres+Obama+Remarks+on+the+Economy.aspx

wwww.change.

Chris51 06/30/2010 10:45pm

The Senate needs to be held accountable for their incompetence and lack of integrity. Shame on them for not coming up with a 100% solution for all Americans who are forced to survive on their UI.

President Obama can’t sign a bill, if Congress doesn’t get it to him. President Obama’s discussed the economy, and the need to help the displaced unemployed with UI Extentions on Monday and Tuesday. CSPAN.ORG

As of today, we have 9.7% unemployed, 55% of the workforce have taken reduced work hours, pay-cuts, unpaid leave, forced to switch to part-time, and BP Oil Corporation’s IRRESPONSIBLENESS is adding to LOST JOBS and LOST LIVES.
    1.2 million who will lose their Unemployment Insurance if Republicans get their way.

The GOP have no vested interest in hearing or helping jobless people. The only communication Republicans hear is $$$$$. That’s why they listen to and only support Oil Companies, Insurance Companies, Banks, Big Corporations, and Wall Street

Chris51 07/08/2010 7:21pm

GOP are determined to bloc everything the President is trying to do for the USA right now. He has a vested interest, and seems to take pride in doing the best job he can while in office.
    We are in trouble as long as Republican politicians continue favoring their special interest.
    How can any CEO or Owner of business get anything done if half of his managers or executives stand in his way just to be defiant.

President Obama speech on CSPAN today, while in Kansas City, MO to support a future candidate. Was right on.
    If you are an unemployed American, and are thinking no one understands the difficulties of being jobless. Obama speech articulated the financial and emotional struggles well. Hat’s off to the President for saying what needed to be said.

Chris51 07/08/2010 7:21pm

Senator’s excuse for not passing is a false statement.
    The funding argument is even harder to swallow. I’d be more sympathetic with these new converts to fiscal responsibility if they were as enthusiastic about paying for extending $32 billion worth of special interest tax breaks as they are about funding the unemployment extension. If I understand correctly, these lawmakers insist that Congress fund every dime of added jobless aid, which nearly all analysts agree will help boost the economy. But they feel no need to pay for continuing these special interest tax breaks, which will not.
    Full Story:

Chris51 07/01/2010 9:06am

Corporations have increased their cash reserves to $1.84 TRILLION, THE HIGHEST FIGURE IN HISTORY! Big business and the banks, after an unprecedented bailout by the public treasury, are hoarding the funds (Americans pay this back on their IRS tax bill). BIG CORPORATIONS EXECUTIVES ARE MAKING BIG BONUSES AND GETTING SALARY INCREASES FOR SHOWING HUGE PROFITS. The cash reserves of major corporations have jumped 26 percent in one year, the largest percentage increase in nearly 60 years. The cash reserves of working people, and particularly the unemployed, have not been so fortunate.

REPUBLICANS bloc, the SENATE vote and defeat sevaral proposed extension of unemployment benefits for unemployed workers. Many of these same Senators rushed through a $700 BILLION bailout of Wall Street in 2008 in a matter of days, cannot bring itself to support even the most meager subsistence for the unemployed workers who are the victims, not the perpetrators, of the economic crisis.
    WWW.CHANGE.ORG

laidbackjt 06/23/2010 8:54am

There is nothing comfortable about receiving unemployment checks. I’m a highly educated and well experienced person that cant even get a job at Walmart or a gas station right now. Comfort, for me, comes with security. There is no personal security for me or my family while I receive unemployment checks. There is only temporary means of barley getting by. Thank god we dont have debt or silly unneeded bills. Before you start to point fingers perhaps you should look at your self. Let me ask why it should be fair that the American people pay for you to take time off of your “seasonal job”. Shouldn’t it be your responsibility to find temporary work during your off season? Teachers do it every year, why cant you?

laidbackjt 06/23/2010 8:54am

I, and many other over qualified unemployed Americans, need this money to survive. That is all. My family doesnt spend money on recreation right now, our social life has ended for the moment and we have cut all the extras out of our lives. People will abuse the system and that will always be the case. Its human nature. I find it hard to believe that the majority of the 900,000 people are abusing the system right now. Your near sided comments only make the situation worse.

chelly 06/23/2010 9:11am

How dare you criticize someone for going back to school to get a better job! You should be ashamed of yourself especially since you are in the same situation that she is in! She never once said that she was not looking for a job while she was in school. Sorry for your situation, but don’t down someone else because of it! That’s like saying to you"maybe you should find a different job where you are not laid off twice a year"

sldhouston 06/23/2010 9:29am

oh and Carrie.. btw at least in 3 months you have a job to look forward to… some of us who’ve been out of work a month to two years or more cannot even look forward to going back to work in 3 months! Sounds to me your problem is with your company you work for, not us.

skrapper 06/23/2010 9:39am

I lost my job to Mexico, and was placed on TRA by our Government.
    I went to school in the Medical Field, and graduated with a 3.9 GPA.Let me tell you what! I busted my ass!!! You have stipulations you must meet in order to stay in school, or your dropped.
    I did all of this only to find out there is no job, because now you must have experience. The whole thing is a FRAUD! The schools are ripping the Government off big time. Talk about miss managed funds! So no money left.. That’s not my problem! I’m entitled to be paid or give me a decent job that will buy a house or car, not minimum wage. That doesn’t get money flowing threw the Banks. “We Need That!” Abolish NAFTA so we all get a chance to go back to work. I pd. into the system for years, they sent my job to a foreign country, and put me on the street. Lost my house, everything I had.. As far as I’m concerned, they put me in this situation, then they can get me out of it. Or pay me till they do get me out of this Depression.

cralford 06/23/2010 9:52am

I do sympathize with your situation Carrie. No one enjoys being without a paycheck they were expecting but would you really like to change places with any of us? I am pretty sure I would trade places with you in a heart beat.

I am assuming you used to get unemployment while you were temporarily out of work.

I worked steadily since 1969 and have never drawn a dollar from unemployment before losing my job last July. I am unable to get a job in my prior field of experience because of my age. I know age discrimination doe not exist but in the last 26 years I spent with my previous employer I never saw them hire an engineer over 40. When I apply for the low paying jobs they look at my experience and pass. I guess they think I will leave as soon as a better paying job opens up.

I am trying to just hang on without becoming homeless like the majority of people currently unemployed. Try not throwing stones! It doesn’t really sound like you are the least bit sympathetic.

tweetybird499 06/23/2010 10:39am

Let me get this strait CarrieSMills You collect umemployment for 3 months and do nothing, go back to work then take another 3 months off and DO NOTHING. First off you are only getting 4 weeks because you have only paid in for so many weeks. Basically “Work more, Get paid more”. Second you did nothing during the time you were off except sit back and collect because you knew you had a job to go back too. Most people don’t have that luxury so they are taking the time to go to school to better themselves hoping that will ensure them a job when time comes. Going to school IS NOT sitting back and collecting like you did. I swear some people are so ignorant and just spew crap out of there mouths without thinking. Maybe you should become a congressman.

onecent301 06/23/2010 11:02am

You start your argument with “while I sympathize with those who can’t find jobs” and before you finish your sentence, your become very unsympathetic. In the sentences that follow, you continue to berate and judge people you don’t even know. I am a teacher and was a victim of the reduction in force. I applaud these people who decided to return to college and even those who have not. I don’t know their situations but I know mine and that’s enough for me. I have a masters degree in education so believe me, you are way out of line. If it’s one thing my education taught me, it was to never judge or assume anything about someone unless you have had the opportunity to pull up a chair and watch them live 24 hours a day for the past few years. It doesn’t matter whether a person decides to continue their education or keep pursuing jobs in the same field, the bottom line is we are unemployed and need the money right now to merely survive. Shame on you Carrie!

GABE1004 06/23/2010 12:02pm

I agree with you “onecent301” on the point of getting education no matter what age you are. That is how you get a little ahead. Some one will be on Carrie’s
    back side soon enough and then she will be the one judged.

As for, I have a Bachelors in Bus. and am also looking for a job. Been almost
    a year for me, but even if you look outside your city, there are the same amount of people looking for a job.

GABE

PattiForestFalls 06/23/2010 5:46pm

I’m not going to hide my comment

PattiForestFalls 06/23/2010 5:52pm

Let me tell you a little more. I worked for car dealership that was closed down. I then sold newspaper advertising to auto dealers. Another flop. Please do not judge me for going to school. I was eligible because I came out of an industry that was failing rapidly and going into one that was supposedly growing. I in no way “sat back comfortably” and “took a few courses”. I now have $8500 in student loans that I have to start paying in less than 6 months and no job prospects in site. I am into my first month with NO pay so looks like I’m catching up with you. Please don’t judge until you know the circumstances.

• enrico17 06/23/2010 8:11am

This is DISGUSTING POLITICS AT IT’S WORST.

• enrico17 06/23/2010 8:11am

This is DISGUSTING POLITICS AT IT’S WORST.

• enrico17 06/23/2010 8:19am

Carrie, perhaps you should get a job that is not seasonal. Out of work is out of work and there are those who are taking advantage of this time to improve themselves. Have you ever heard of working and taking classes on line at night, maybe that is what these people are doing. You are as small minded as our representatives to think living on unemployment is wonderful, wow so much money to buy expensive cars and lavish vacation. These people just about have enough to put a roof over their heads and buy food. So ignorant!

Now the unemployed are not only at the mercy of our representatives but also the lobbyista. Who is running this country?

• Drewbot78 06/23/2010 8:25am

The culling is coming very soon now.

• general 06/23/2010 9:12am

All the senators that are starving the American people need to be voted out as soon as possible.And if Obama dosen’t step in and do something he needs to go too.

• queencarrie 06/23/2010 9:38am

i am 50 years old been unemployed since july last year i have never been unemployed for more than a week since i was 16 and now because i am unemployed and my age i am a new minority that will soon join the homeless. i am not a drug addict or lazy i go to college online, look for jobs, and my spare time is reading all i can about this bill they will not pass to extend my unemployment. something these senators need to remember is that for every unemployed person they have a family of at least 4 people and all these people vote so take the unemployment numbers and multiply them by 4 that is the amount of votes you will not get. hope that numbers scares you. you wanna find the funds take a pay cut from all senators to fund it. or maybe the homeless need to find your address and pitch tents on your yard til you see the real world problem.i am going to graduate with my assoc degree in aug this year but doubt it will help me. so i will go into more debt by staying in college for bach degree

• planet855 06/23/2010 9:46am

People say “get a job” find a way to make a living. I have done this for forty years and even with this economy I have managed to keep my bills paid. I was laid off a year ago and have found that there are no jobs, so I mowed yards and did what ever I could to get by without food stamps, etc. My shop was broken into and all the tools are gone. Seems like the looting has already started. Good job congress! Go line your pockets some more.

• genner 06/23/2010 9:48am

So dumb that carrie and people like her, think those of us on unemployment are happy getting the big bucks. News flash I’d rather work cause UI only pays me 1/3 of what I use to make in a week !

• tiredofbeingtired 06/23/2010 9:49am

Are you kidding me?! This is insane…it is clear that Congress could care less about the American people. It’s all about playing games and we are on the loosing side….they think the market is bad now, just wait until all of our houses go in foreclosure, because we just can’t, not because we’re not trying, but because jobs and insurance is just not there..it is sad…just plain sad that this cannot come to a resolution. It speaks volumes about the importance of the American people.

Due to the archiving of this blog, comment posting has been disabled.