OpenCongress Blog

Blog Feed Comments Feed More RSS Feeds

Reid Sets Tentative Unemployment Extension Vote for Tuesday

July 14, 2010 - by Donny Shaw

Politico reports:

Reid told reporters Wednesday that West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin has promised to name an interim replacement for the late Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.) this weekend. The new senator, combined with pledges from Republican Sens. Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine to support the revised unemployment bill, would give the majority leader the filibuster-proof 60 votes that he needs to begin moving it to President Barack Obama’s desk.

“If Governor Manchin does what he has indicated to me he will and we’ll have a new senator to replace Senator Byrd, then we’ll vote Tuesday morning sometime on the unemployment extension,” Reid said.

As I reported last night, Majority Leader Harry Reid [D, NV] could have pushed for this to happen faster. He could have rushed the swearing-in of Sen. Robert Byrd’s [D, WV] interim replacement and kept the Senate in session over the weekend to get this done. Instead, he’ll adjourn the Senate on Friday and maybe take up the bill on Tuesday.

Like this post? Stay in touch by following us on Twitter, joining us on Facebook, or by Subscribing with RSS.

Comments

• emd 07/14/2010 9:38am

Good news but long overdue. Thanks, Donny

bobbybixler 07/14/2010 10:35am

Well, let’s allow Reid to get his lobbyist money flowing too. These guys are all about exchanging favors, greasing the money well, etc. So not surprising they are going to wait a couple more days to get more ducks in their row. We keep thinking there is some moralistic challenge here. There is none, just power, money, and special interest and a bipolar government. These people get elected because of their personality and dedication to one-sided causes, not because of their independent intelligence. Plus they are not going to approve anything that goes beyond November so they can use this issue again to get their election causes voted through. I know we want all these people voted out, but Freshman Senators for the most part start out with good intentions and end up sucked in by the power and money—it’s the system—don’t expect it to change anytime soon.

enrico17 07/14/2010 11:50am

I agree with you that they are for their special interest and that the Freshman come in good then turn, but a few, even one, good years of good intentions is better than none. Senate should have two year re-election, and there should be time limits. Also, they should forgo their raises.

sas7394 07/14/2010 1:10pm

Dear icandootravel, I to am unemployed and have been for 6 months now regular
    unemployment ran out in the middle of June however, I don’t think that the Republicans are solely to blame here, if the amount of EXCESSIVE spending and adding to the deficit since Obama has taken office didn’t already TRIPLE in less than two years we wouldn’t have a battle over getting the unemployment extension paid for without adding to the deficit. I believe that they truly want it to get passed as they can see their Constiuents back home SUFFERING, they just know that it can be paid for by cutting out some of the other unneccasary spending. Soon there’s going to be more people applying for emergency food stamps, Medicaid etc all of which will still be paid by Taxpayers dollars in the long run. Congress, spend the weekend, burn the midnite oil, GET THIS BILL PASSED !!! before we starve and put up tents on the Whitehouse lawn beside the “Vegetable Garden” that we’ll be eating from.

general 07/14/2010 5:06pm

The Republicans are absolutley to blame their argument is totally unfounded cosnidering they caused this mess and then continue to support deficit spending on just about all issues except the UI extension open your eyes the hypocrisy here is unbelievable they must think we are all stupid they don’t even try to mask it its disgusting I can’t even wrap my brain around this bullshit lets not forget about the war bill for 80 billion Mr McConell calls an emergency he is the biggest hypocrit of them all. Why can’t an educated person such as yourself see this? No disrespect intended.

comments5647 07/15/2010 8:19am

Both Democrats and Republicans are using this to play politics with our livelihoods. As much as I would prefer a job, a real income, I am disappointed this congress has thrown us out in the street. This morning I spent two hours on the phone trying to figure out how to keep my electricity on. It is suppose to be 99 degrees tomorrow. If Harry Reid gets the vote for Tuesday morning that is still not early enough for me to keep my water on as it is past due also. They gave me on last extension on my electricity until the end of July I don’t know how I will keep the water running. I just want a job just a job…

tetonmoon61 07/15/2010 9:29am

Oh my god here is a way to cut spending, one I just got my state ballot book, hundreds of pages filled with over 38 senate representatives the pay for this job is obscene, an average of 174 K a year, vested in five for a life time pension of 67K a year and full benefits. Nothing will change until the laws allowing the flow of corrupt, corporate, special interest and lobbyist money is no longer allowed. But he is a link to sign a petition for lowering the pay of congress to a really nice 50 K a year, we need all the signatures and you need to facebook, email or what ever you have to. Read your ballot books, vote for as many liberals or independents as possible, it can’t get any worse, the two party system must be shut down now. Link is http://www.change.org/petitions/view/petition_to_reduce_the_wages_of_congress_men_and_women_from_174000_per_year_to_50000_per_year
    if problems go to Change.org, search right side for lower pay for congress and sign the petition.

KittenCat 07/15/2010 10:17am

I hear you! What they don’t realize is that we are talking about real people and real bills, utilties, food, payments, gas for peoples’ cars, a roof over peoples’ heads! This isn’t just happening to some lower class workers, it’s happening to every level of employment! All have taken cuts! Cuts in pay, cuts in salaries, cuts in benefits, cuts in Employment Compensation!

politica 07/14/2010 2:59pm

What you are trying to describe, these practices have gone on since 1776. Obviously, time has changed; habits and practices have also advanced. So, you operate within the parameters of the political scene, and exercise your right to vote.

What is sad, is watching grown men aggressively castigating one another because of party separation and difference. And actually, if you have ever seen video from some Asian Nations equivalent of Congress, they frequently break out into fist-fights.

Add to the castigation through the media, which was not the same in 1776, and we have vile mouthed news-channel-entertainers fueling hatred. That is just piss poor hypocrisy. Therefore, nothing has changed except the date and topics.

politica 07/14/2010 3:04pm

There is no way to gauge what we Americans think or how we interpret information received or viewed from the news distribution channels until you see reports of protests. We have a candidate for Senate in Nevada that really seems out of touch, and has called our unemployed lazy. I am sure that offends many unemployed.

I had experience with a Sue Lowden handler, begged them for a job on their strategy staff. I told them they were putting out a bad message, pre-chicken trading commercial days. They told me they only hire “professional political strategists” … That worked out very well for the Sue Lowden campaign. However, there is an even worse candidate. It seems the Republican party has no one for Nevada. Funny stuff.

Guys like The President, making claims, “I am gonna fix Washington” or “change” DC, is political line-writing 101. Everyone does it. No matter the party you support, there is always everyone in the cast you described, on both sides of the aisle.

Nice post bobby

BigCat 07/15/2010 4:41am

Politica, you hit the nail on the head with your last Obama comment. America got DUPED big time by this one. CHANGE? Never has a lie been so professionally executed.

Personally, I’m tired of career politicians, on both sides. I want business men and women in DC, not lawyers and so-called scholars. I want those who know how to balance a checkbook, make sound fiscal decisons, and those who will surround themselves with legal/diplomatic/military EXPERTS, not favor-owed incompetent cronies!

We got what we voted for in this current administration. History making HOLLYWOOD HYPE, no substance. Hopefully we all learned a painful lesson and do not repeat it going forward.

seanurse 07/15/2010 5:00am

let me guess big cat , you must be republican. well i believe the president is right we just need to change the senate and house. less pay will get the right kind of people in this office. rich people wouldnt do it for 100000 a year. been proven by some who refused to run again because they can make more on thier own. well here hoping we get our change today.

BigCat 07/15/2010 5:18am

sean, yes a proud Reagan republican. Also among the ranks of the unemployed. Laid off one week prior to Xmas last year from a formerly solvent large corporation. I’m not rich, instead I have lived always tried to live within my means (fiscal responsibility). So while I am hurting financially now, I am not destitute. I am confident I will find work, it may be tomorrow, it may be next week, but it will happen. It’s very tough out there, no one with any sense can dispute that (or else they have a job, for now). I just can’t wallow in pity as some on here do. Have to believe in myself.

I do not dislike Obama personally, I dislike his politics. On this we disagree, and probably always will. That’s one of the great things about being an American, we each get a vote!

seanurse 07/15/2010 5:29am

WELL BIG CAT IM GLAD YOU HAVE SOME BACKUP LEFT. WE SOON TO BE 99ERS HAVE ALREADY BEEN THRU THAT DONE THAT. IM NOT REP OR DEM. I WISH THEIR WAS A PARTY CALLED BABY BOOMERS RULE. KIND OF A COMBO OF BOTH PARTIES IDEAS BUT WITH SOME SMART IDEAS FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS AND RUN BY THE MIDDLE CLASS. MAYBE CALLED THE MIDDLE CLASS REVOLUTION FOR CHANGE. I KIND OF LIKE THE TITLE. MAYBE THIS IS GODS PLAN TO GET ANOTHER PARTY IN POLITICS THAT CAN BE FOR THE PEOPLE AND NOT SEPERATE THEM ON TWO SIDES.

skeetshooter50 07/15/2010 10:11am

Hi Seanurse, What do you mean by soon to be a 99er? Are you talking about UI benifits being extended to 99 weeks? I’ll be getting my last UI check next week at 74 weeks 25 weeks short of the 99 I was told I’m allowed, and just to make things worse I (after wrangling for months with a career counselor) started school for a career change 3 weeks ago. If to keep my schooling I have to work at a fastfood resturant or minimart type store to make ends meet I’ll do it. As a fellow “Baby Boomer” I think I’ve found the party you’re looking for their calling them selves the “Tea Party”, any legslators who are up for re-election need to pay close attention because their mantra is to get “new blood” that will be for the people in Washington,DC.

seanurse 07/15/2010 1:24pm

hi skeets, no i will be a99er after 18 weeks of eb if they ever pass the extension bill. and I disagree about the tea party they still are the rich and not what im talking about. I mean we should start a third party of middle class americans who wont be bought by corporations. but you still need money to get our voices out their as all news papers and stations are owned by rich politions. so catch 22 but I would love to be a senator. I think our baby boomers could make some great changes to the contry. we also need to set an age for senators to retire. and only 2 terms in office. can you imagine if there was three parties in senate and house??/ they wouldn’t be able to do what they are doing now.

BigCat 07/15/2010 1:38pm

Sean, we do agree on one thing, term limits are a MUST!I think the late Sen Byrd (D-WV) was a prime example. The guy had to die (at age 92) in order to lose his seat in the senate. How many lucid 92 year olds do we know, and for that matter want running our country?

Tea Partiers however, are not all rich, they are just associated with the republicans. At some point folks have to get past this ‘rich’ label. Not all repubs are wealthy-white-snobs. No more than all dems are unemployed-black-drop outs. Tea Partiers are Mom & Pop Americans Middle Americans fed up with politics as usual.

samanthacasey 07/14/2010 10:39am

wow this is crazy so what’s really going on in congress,another week are you serious,do no care about our fellow american,did our grandparents,fathers,uncles,brother and husband fight and lost their lives for this country for this nonsense

Prattler34 07/14/2010 10:51am

HAUGHTY HARRY!! WAY TO-GO!!! He has allowed the American people to continue to be mistreated with regard to ALL-IMPORTANT this matter!

And yet again pushing BLAME on someone else. What A JACK-ASS!! Oviously the nail biting that he allowed to go on throughout the 4th of July 10-days off vacation of the senate will continue. Leaving us unemployed with very little hope. It’s just unbearable at this point. EGREGIOUSNESS at the highest level. Evil wickedness from his high place!

comments5647 07/14/2010 11:42am

I couldn’t have said better myself!!!!

comments5647 07/14/2010 11:41am

For the most part they gave their lives for New World Order!!!

comments5647 07/14/2010 11:39am

In the world of politics it is a long way until Tuesday morning! I told you yesterday this Senate would take this weekend off! This the Senate that loves to vacation while Rome burns!!! They have no empathy what-so-ever. I would be very careful about considering this good news they have demonstrated only consideration for themselves while many in our country suffer NEEDLESSLY! I just hope those suffering remember come November.I knew they would take this weekend off and hope they will vote to extend but their track record says they will come up with another excuse. PINK SLIP the incumbents who could not find the money within the budget or who would not vote to extend come November if you have have lost your home,car,utilities or any in any other way been negatively impacted as a result of their misdeeds. I will write in my dog if I cannot find a replacement candidate who WILL fight for “We The People”!!!

bizzyazab 07/14/2010 5:13pm

Whew do I agree, myself I think most of them are still sufferring from jet lag, sunburn,and over eating on thier vacation, while the rest of us have a hard time figuring out what we are going to go without so we can have something on the table. Hit up another church, for tonights dinner…and Yeesssssss…it is that bad.Thank God alone that I have wonderful family willing to help me out and not charge me rent and provide food and shelter during this rough time. Its hard for them too and they are working, and me I sit here and hope the church tomorrow throws a little something extra in the bag/box .The entire last 5 years of collecting my pennies in the jug is even dwindling as I have rolled more penny rolls this past 6 months…whew …pennies are as dirty as the government we entrust our lives to.

hlwritz1 07/14/2010 2:32pm

This might be a stupid question but how do we really know that Byrd’s replacement is going to vote in favor of the extension? I have had my hopes up for going on the past 5 weeks, and I’m getting tired of the dissappointment and this getting dragged out, as well as the million of other unemployed who have been waiting.

jgpt777 07/14/2010 2:44pm

Because Donny Shaw..said it will pass..

Kerlynne 07/14/2010 3:31pm

we don’t…. that is the whole crux of this situation. I haven’t read one thing that says this replacement will vote like Senator Byrd would have. I am not sure how it works when this happens. I absolutly love the fact that Donny Shaw is keeping us up to date on the proceedings but still have no idea how some of this works. I still can’t get a few answers myself.

politica 07/14/2010 8:19pm

That is the word. Unfortunately, a person’s word is not always that trusted in Washington. Keep the faith. I hope your prayers are answered. It is unfortunate the right is playing politics with this bill.

tmc732 07/15/2010 6:11am

good news!!! it has been hard not having the unemployment comming in. I pray for a call on a job and then wonder if i will have the money to put in my gas tank to get to an interview or to pay for my internet sevices for further job searching.

• firestorm145 07/14/2010 9:43am

Senator Reid: We need the vote now or over the weekend. People are desperate. They are losing everything. Help the Americans!!

• bigbufordsdad 07/14/2010 9:47am

MAYBE tuesday? thats no better than any of the other MAYBES we’ve been hearing. when it doesnt happen and americans are at their lowest, MAYBE we wont shoot him first…..

Due to the archiving of this blog, comment posting has been disabled.