OpenCongress Blog

Blog Feed Comments Feed More RSS Feeds

Update on Tuesday's Unemployment Vote

July 16, 2010 - by Donny Shaw

As some of you have noted in the comments, in my post last night on what’s been going on with the unemployment bill, I came to the wrong conclusion about which bill — H.R. 4213 or H.R. 5618 — would be getting a vote on Tuesday. Because, as I explained, Senate Democrats had been setting up the procedure for bringing H.R. 5618 to the Senate floor directly (skipping the committee process), I figured that was the bill they were planning to move forward with. However, shortly after publishing the post, new information was posted on the Senate calendar that indicated H.R. 4213 would actually be the bill getting a vote.

Here’s what it in the Congressional Record Daily Digest for Thursday about Tuesday’s vote:

A unanimous-consent agreement was reached providing that at 2:30 p.m., on Tuesday, July 20, 2010, Senate resume consideration of the amendment of the House of Representatives to the amendment of the Senate to H.R. 4213, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to extend certain expiring provisions; that the motion to reconsider be agreed to, and Senate vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the motion to concur in the House amendment to the Senate amendment to the bill with Reid Amendment No. 4425 (to the amendment of the House to the amendment of the Senate to the bill), in the nature of a substitute.

This is the same exact motion and the same exact amendment that the Senate voted on on June 30. It was effectively filibustered then by a vote of 58-38, but, remember, Majority Leader Sen. Harry Reid [D, NV] only voted “nay” in order to preserve his right under Senate rules to bring the bill back up for another vote. If another senator had voted “aye,” Reid would have switched his vote to an “aye” in order to secure the 60 votes that are needed to break a filibuster. On Tuesday, after Carte Goodwin (Byrd’s replacement) is sworn in, the Democrats will have 60 votes to break the Republican-led filibuster and pass the cloture motion.

Once cloture passes, the Senate will then have to vote on passage of the “motion to concur in the House amendment to the Senate amendment to the bill with Reid Amendment No. 4425” within 30 hours. The Republicans could choose to keep the debate open for the full 30 hours, or they could let the Democrats proceed within the final vote sooner. It’s customary for the minority party to let the final vote happen shortly after cloture is invoked since passage only takes 51 votes and it has just been shown that the majority has at least 60, but the Republicans do stand to benefit by using up as much of the Democrats’ time as they can, so we’ll see.

Once final passage is secured in the Senate, the bill will have to go back to the House for a vote on a concurring to Senate amendment.

On May 28, the House passed a version of this bill that contained the unemployment insurance extension and several controversial tax provisions by a vote of 215-204. On July 1, the House passed a stand-alone unemployment extension bill (H.R. 5618) by an overwhelming 270-152. Given their ability to pass both a stand-alone UI bill and one that includes a bunch of unrelated tax items, they should have no problem passing the Reid Amendment. Besides the UI extension, it contains an extension of the closing date for the first-time homebuyer tax credit, which is fully offset by three non-controversial revenue items, details of which can be found here.

As soon as the House votes favorably on concurring with the Senate amendment, the bill can be sent to President Obama to be signed into law.

Now let me throw in this important disclaimer: This is all at the discretion of Majority Leader Reid and it is subject to change. As we know, Reid has been working simultaneously to have H.R. 5618 ready for a vote as well, and just because the calendar says H.R. 4213 right now doesn’t mean that is definitely what will happen on Tuesday. No matter what, it looks right now like there should be no problem with getting the unemployment extension signed into law by the end of next week. Keep checking this blog or subscribe to the RSS feed for updates.

Like this post? Stay in touch by following us on Twitter, joining us on Facebook, or by Subscribing with RSS.

Comments

• rufusjuice 07/16/2010 11:46am

Thank you for clearing that up, Mr. Shaw. The debate was getting fiesty on here. We need to continue to contact Senators Snowe and Collins, lest they change their vote. Other Senators as well. I am afraid if the pressure slacks up at all, someone will jump ship.

AmericanMe1 07/17/2010 9:18am

Vote for Mr. Donny Shaw for our next President.

• Lookup 07/16/2010 12:03pm

I am happy that President Obama went to Maine for vacation. I was thinking when he said come to the gulf spend some money, how I would much rather go to Maine because of the two senators that support unemployment extension. In fact I have also been thinking that if this bill gets passed I will be making a small donation to the state to show my gratitude. I visited the state once and fell in love with Maine. They gave me a visitor’s map and on the front it said “Maine the way life ought to be.” I would like to thank Maine for trying to help us hard working Americans going through this crisis.

• lilmamma 07/16/2010 12:19pm

I hope this link will give you hope. It is basically confirmation that the new W.V. Senator Goodwin will vote in favor of the bill. I am in the same boat as many of you. I have been laid off since January of 09. I was laid off while I was on maternity leave with my daughter who is now 18 months. I have been searching high and low for work and have found nothing, so I am hoping this extension will buy me a little bit more time. I have been without benefits for just about one month now and am behind on my bills this month. I know it could be worse but I guess the reality of it is that this is bad for all of us on different levels. I really hope this passes this time. Im so tired of being let down.

bobbybixler 07/16/2010 3:00pm

Good day for us; sad day for politics. Goodwin is the state’s attorney for Manchin. Does that look like political stooging or what? Oh well, Blago didn’t get away with it, but Manchin will. I suppose it’s good for us unemployed, but good politics takes another blow. Manchin is essentially going to run that seat until the November election.

• comments5647 07/16/2010 12:19pm

So once again “the checks in the mail” well we shall see. “They” have used this unemployment issue as their political football and seem to be “enjoying” their football game immensely at the expense of the suffering American people. I don’t expect congress to help and anyone who does truly needs their head examined. The Senate WENT ON VACATION AGAIN out for this weekend! I think the Republicans will try to filibuster again the entire 30 hours just because they get some sick enjoyment out of stealing our nations prosperity first all and second of all then watching us all squirm in pain. I hope they all lose their jobs in November and their families suffer as ours have, immensely, like we have from this economic disaster they brought on this nation!!! I am so ashamed of this congress particularly the Republicans!!! They could have found the money to fund the extension a month ago without borrowing if they had just spent five minutes looking!!!!

peterr 07/17/2010 4:31am

I’ll remember in November…If my choice is between THA Devil and a Republican, I’ll vote for tha Devil….

Kate212 07/17/2010 4:48am

I live in NYC, and its just confusing, i thought i read the article and they said that you will not be able to move btwn tiers? Ugh – i get so confused I have to say again I am very grateful for this site.
    I wish they would not have had to trade that 25.00 but – they don’t feel it.

• comments5647 07/16/2010 12:23pm

I hope congress goes to church on this their vacation weekend and repents for being so lazy while the nation suffers many of whom don’t know where their next meal is coming from!!! You were elected to serve especially in a time of CRISIS. God help us all should we be attacked again as you all in congress would GO ON VACATION!!!

icandootravel 07/16/2010 1:21pm

I agree, and I wish they would see all of the peoples prayers. Praying for our senators’ and their families souls for eternity. There are far to many terrified families out there that do not have the basic food, medical and nutrition due to the inability of congress to act. They are clearly very detached from the reality of average americans. Our prayers go out to all those in need.

• pammyz01 07/16/2010 12:24pm

Now, Im worried again. felt better about 5618 passing.

• starvinmarvininCA 07/16/2010 12:29pm

All of the damn foot dragging is beyond me-JUST GET IT DONE ALREADY-and if they think for one minute that any of us who have suffered through endless weeks without money and no prospects for a job are going to forget all about this IF AND WHEN we finally do get our money they are out of their minds-I FOR ONE AM CERTAINLY NOT GOING TO. November is our time to show them what it’s like to be out in the cold-don’t miss your opportunity to show these fine representatives of the people-LOL what we think of them. VOTE THEM ALL OUT AND LET’S START FRESH!!

icandootravel 07/16/2010 1:14pm

I went from a food stamps provider to a food stamp recipient today
    due to the exhaustian of my regular unemployment benefits. After only
    6 months of benefits, I have gone from slightly above the poverty line
    as a a full time, State of Hawaii employee, responsible for over 250
    families every day to a “client” and first time Food Stamp recipient
    living well below the poverty line.
    Very sad that this is so beyond pathetic in the heartlessness of it
    all. So many children and families are terrified and hungry Now, right
    Now, over this issue.
    My question is, what do the 1 million or so republicans waiting for an
    unemployment extension think about what is going on? How can you vote for them if your electricity is getting cut off and your applying for food stamps? Because you have already borrowed from everyone you can, and Maxed out your credit cards? Really, let me hear the logic or moral rightousness…please REPUBLICANS in need, let me hear what you think..

• Moderated Comment

Kerlynne 07/16/2010 1:57pm

WHOA!!! ABARATARRR!!… teach don’t diminish. There are so many of us that are hurting and loosing parts of our lives. We each have our stories and opinions.

comments5647 07/16/2010 3:43pm

@Icandootravel please refer to my above post to starvinmarvininCA I will be voting for a Constitutionalist like Ron Paul or whoever runs on the Constitutionalist ticket. I like the Tea Party’s platform (which is not a formal party)but I would not vote for Sarah Palin because I believe the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars are wars to support foreign banksters not to defend us from terrorism. Again, Ron Paul would have made a good president policy wise. Check out the Constitutionalist Party or Libertarian Party. If the Republicans want to run a true Constitutionalist like Ron Paul so be it I would vote for them. Shoot I would vote for a good Democrat at this point if they were pro life and a true fiscal conservative (Constitutionalist) I want my job, rights, freedom, and prosperity back thank you very much!

comments5647 07/16/2010 3:36pm

@starvinmarvininCA I just hope when people go to vote they remember this is NOT about Democrats or Republicans. We need congressman who are true public servants who WILL UPHOLD THE CONSTITUTION and do away with the Federal Reserve Bank!!! That will mean voting for parties like the Constitutionalist Party or the Libertarian Party or the Tea Party if anyone ever forms it. Point is we need the kind of government our Constitution laid for us which is a “small government” that supports “We The People” not “them the foreign bankers!”. Personally, I like Ron Paul’s views, but hate the way “The Republican Party” has thrown all of us unemployed under the bus not to mention how they seem to be more interested in supporting the wars that support the interest of the foreign banksters!

• starvinmarvininCA 07/16/2010 12:32pm

oh yeah and why is it they have a three day weekend this time?? Is there some special holiday the rest of us are not aware of or is it just to afford them more foot dragging time? Does anyone on here know why they are off today?

comments5647 07/16/2010 3:45pm

More foot dragging time…certainly not to serve as good public servants!

• proudtobehiswife 07/16/2010 12:32pm

I thought that republicans filibustered 4213 3 times already, and Snowe and Collins only agreed to vote for 5618 because it was a stand-alone bill? Doesn’t this essentially mean that they will lose Snowe and Collins when they vote on 4213 on Tuesday, allowing the Republicans to filibuster the bill for the 4th time? Correct me if I’m wrong. I just thought Snowe and Collins only agreed to vote for 5618 because it was a stand-alone bill.

Abaratarrr 07/16/2010 12:47pm

snowe said she will vote on 4213 as long as the cuts to social security benefts and the retroactive business tax are cut from the bill, that was not the case the last time they voted no on the bill, somone on the 5618 page posted that ried has again taken those provisions out of 4213 which would mean that Snowe and (hopefully)Collins would vote for 4213.

But before you get to exited reid had agreed to take those provision out of the bill before but then added them back to the bill prior to the june 24th vote causing the bill to fail.

• Kerlynne 07/16/2010 12:35pm

THEY STILL ARE TAKING AWAY THE $25 A WEEK STIMULUS MONEY….Why couldn’t they just have left it alone? and just passed it the way it was? Now they are playing this way and that way with games that affect all of our lives.
    I was just turned down for a job I had to drive 100 mile round trip too, had a 15 minute interview with, because I just didn’t fit the job requirements??? They saw my resume!!! It is like they are having cattle calls,"sorry you are too fat, too ugly too old!! I gave up food money to buy gas money for a company that is prejudice with someone that is 50+. The governement needs to give job credits to companies that hire 55+ or give it to us! I am so angry about this!! OH plus they paid peanuts!! But I was going to take it…cry

Hope06 07/16/2010 1:01pm

@ Kerlynne: I know exactly how you feel. I did the same last week (200 + miles to another state because I have family there). I’ve been told I’m over qualified, under qualified, they will keep my resume for 6 months, etc. 50+ women are not getting the jobs, period. It is discrimination, employers knowing they cannot discriminate state other factors instead. Please see my rant at Hope06. We are too young for some government assistance, and/or too old for same. Baby Boomers are screwed in this economy. I wish you the best.

Kerlynne 07/16/2010 1:51pm

as I do you….. ;o)

Hope06 07/16/2010 3:54pm

I wonder why there can’t be a “moratorium” against debt collectors or auto insurance during this crisis. Anytime during a natural disaster, it is against the law to price gouge, such as with water, gasoline, food, etc. This part refers to auto insurance, one of my biggest thorns in my side. I have an excellent driving record. I have always had auto insurance without any claims. Up until I became unemployed, I had low rates. My rates should not be affected by my credit. It is the law that I have this mandated insurance, and it seems auto insurance companies are taking advantage of this “Federal Emergency”. As to the creditors, once told there is no money left, (after years of making payments on time), they should be held off until either a job is secured, or some monies come in.

Kerlynne 07/16/2010 4:02pm

HOPE06>>> AMEN!! and why can people that own homes get breaks but not people that are buying cars?? I begged and begged my loan company to work with me willing to give up food money etc and they wouldn’t even begin to work with me. Just give us the money or the car!! I gave up insurance a long time ago, a friend hid the car and now it needs tabs. I hate this!! I don’t like being this way. I swear if I loose my home I am going underground and be like those people you see in the movies about what it will be like after an alien invasion or something. aaaarrrggghhhh

Hope06 07/16/2010 5:47pm

Kerlynne: I know, I know! I paid 3 full years on my car without missing a payment. I had 1 year left! They call several times a day, and ask the most absurd questions! “Can you pay from a credit card?” “Can you get money from your family?” “Can you sell something?” Oh, and two of my all time favorites: “Perhaps you could cut down on your grocery bill.” and “If you can make two full payments today, we may be able to work out a modification for you.” If I could have done any of that, I would not have gotten behind on the damn payment! This is just the beginning regarding insurance. Like you and I, many will not be able to pay, will drive w/o insurance, get ticketed/fined, have to serve time because they can’t pay fine, lose their license, ticketed/fined for no license, serve time, etc… These types of episodes really show there are 2 classes in USA. Wealthy (or just plain lucky,) and the rest of us. I’ll meet you at Area 51.

fifi4 07/17/2010 6:53pm

Oh well I got from my car company, “can you cancel your cable?”, Ok and than shall I send my cranky 3 yr old over to you? I have also heard " can you ask family"
    The worst I ever got was, after 9/11 I lost my job. I was behind on a credit card. I was living with my parents at the time. My dad was very ill. He was a double amputee. They call me and ask for payment. I say I cannot do the minumum. The guy goes off on me telling me then sell the house. I said I have a sick dad with no legs, where would you like I should sell and go to. OK get ready…he says, sell your fathers scooter. I went nutso!!!

KittenCat 07/17/2010 10:54am

I had to let my insurance with Geico lapse last week due to all these delays, just to get the dang bill passed to honor a new extension date.
    I beleive that if a person can’t find a job, they ought to be allowed to continue thru whatever extensions are available! Not by deadline dates!
    Meaning if a person has a tier and EB left, they have access to these funds as long as they qualify.No delays, no surprize cut-offs!

Kerlynne 07/17/2010 1:05pm

YES… I agree wholeheartedly!!!!

Due to the archiving of this blog, comment posting has been disabled.