OpenCongress Blog

Blog Feed Comments Feed More RSS Feeds

Congress Links + Unemployment Benefits

July 21, 2010 - by David Moore

The major unemployment bill (H.R. 4213) is of course our most-commented and most-tracked bill by users over the past month. For all the best info: peruse its latest news and blog coverage from around the Web, see the highest-rated user comments, visit our community-generated Benefit Wiki project to better understand how it affects your state, read our helpful past coverage of the bill’s long journey, and send us your questions: writeus at opencongress dot org.

Today’s Congress Links ::

• Republicans delay the vote to extend unemployment benefits for those who have been out work.(Reuters)
  • Gail Russell Chaddock discusses why extending unemployment has been so difficult this time around.(Christian Science Monitor)
  • Sens. Charles Schumer, (D-NY) and Tom Harkin, (D-IA) are urging the Federal Reserve for more credit card protection. (AP)
  • The Senate Judiciary Committee approves Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan.(LA Times)
  • House and Senate Democrats fight over the delay of the food safety bill. (Washington Post)
  • The Senate Democrats overcome a threat of a filibuster to pass unemployment extension benefits.  More coverage of this is on our blog. (NY Times)
  • With the passage of unemployment benefits extensions, Republicans say that the US cannot spend more money than it has. (ABC News)
  • Senate Democrats have said the House Democrats may cut education money in order to pass a war speding bill. (CNN)
  • Senate Democrats may not get enough votes to pass environmental legislation. (Washington Post)
  • President Obama urges Congress to pass equal pay legislation. (USA Today)
  • Sponsoring 137 bills, Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) is rated the most active member of Congress. (US News)

Today’s helpful bundle of Links come from OC Research Assistants Jason Rhee and Hilary Worden. Image of Sen. Schumer (who we must resist calling Chuck, as we esteem the U.S. gov’t and don’t [yet] know him personally, although Senator, holler at us, some of us are your constituents in NYC yo!) via our data- and talent-rich news partners Daylife.

Like this post? Stay in touch by following us on Twitter, joining us on Facebook, or by Subscribing with RSS.

Comments

• brokeflgirl333 07/21/2010 9:48am

I live in Florida the unemployment rate is 11.04.I recived my last check June 25th for one week 163 dollars.That was the end of my tier2 benifits.I’ve living on 163 dollars for a month now and don’t think I will get a tier three

matt24mo2010 07/21/2010 12:06pm

Dose this bill give us our payback from June 2 till current?

• charulata 07/21/2010 10:22am

To brokefigirl you will receive all four of your tiers. God Bless You.

• brokeflgirl333 07/21/2010 10:41am

Look at this!

• eavina30 07/21/2010 10:46am

They call us Socialist, when really it’s humanitarian……What are Republicans when they go into other people soil and try to covert them to christians

• BullWinkle 07/21/2010 10:48am

i read it you will be fine this is federal and i think they are saying that they could of had 290 mil but wont get it due to the unemployment and it was going towards the economy.( i may be wrong someone can correct me if so but that is what im getting from it) you will be fine BUT FINE IS ONLY UNTIL NOVEMBER 30 2010
    THEN THE PROBLEM STATS ALL OVER FOR UNEMPLOYED AMERICANS!! STAY STRONG AND VOTE OUT ALL REPUBLICANS EXCEPT THE 2 THAT STOOD UP FOR US!!

• BullWinkle 07/21/2010 10:49am

STARTS

• BullWinkle 07/21/2010 10:55am

BEING THA THIS IS FEDERAL I THINK I WOULD STICK TO THIS SITE INSTEAD OF THE SUNSHINE STATE NEWS….

• justjess1 07/21/2010 10:59am

THE REPUBLICANS HAVE NO HEART THE BILL WAS PASSED BY THE SENATE NOW THE FUCKIN REPUBLICANS WANT TO MAKE US WAIT WHAT TILL NEXT WEEK TO GIVE IT TO THE PRESIDENT TO SIGN. I WISH THAT THE PEOPLE COULD MAKE A VOTE ON HOW MUCH THE REPUBLICANS GET PAID PER YEAR MAKE THEM LIVE OFF OF 8.00 OR 9.00 AN HOUR AND TAKE THEIR BOATS AND BIG HOUSES AWAY AND THEN LET THEM SEE WHAT IT IS LIKE TO STRUGGLE. IAM TYPING IN CAPS BECAUSE I DO THAT WHEN IAM MAD AND WANT TO MAKE MY POINT ACROSS.

Abaratarrr 07/21/2010 12:47pm

you have gotten some bad information , the republicans agreed to vote today , they could have made them wait the whole 30 hours and only count hours while the senate was in session they could have pushed it out to next week but didn’t.

so now that you know you were given bad info you can quit being mad?

redcrd99 07/21/2010 1:41pm

Ummm we are only 3 hours away from the 30 hour mark………so I beleive that would make her/him justified to be mad lol!!!! Not bad info I’ve been watching CSPAN all day and there is still no vote.

Abaratarrr 07/21/2010 3:08pm

if you had been watching cspan you would have heard reid make a motion to vote after the amendments and you would have heard that there were no objections,

you people are awful one person tells a lie and the rest of you repeat the lie over and over then nobody admits they were not telling the truth.

They already voted for the bill it passed the republicans did not make them wait 30 hours,

unemployedrepublican22 07/21/2010 5:36pm

Truth is, many people do not actually watch or listen to what’s going on in congress first hand….they listen to other people who have “heard” what’s going on. That’s what I did up until this past year when I got laid off. I’ve been watching CSPAN—all day—and BOTH sides go on and on about a whole lot of nothing. People really shouldn’t speak unless they have all the facts. And people will never admit that they don’t know what they’re talking about…as I can see you’ve noticed from your posts :) They just spew more propaganda (on both sides of the isle) instead of actual facts. PS…I can’t find anything anywhere where the vote passed…can you direct me to a link? I stopped watching CSPAN2 today @7pm EST and no vote had occured (other than votes on cloture and ammendments)

unemployedrepublican22 07/21/2010 5:41pm

I should say “I have CSPAN ‘ON’” all day vs. I am “watching it” all day. :) Don’t want anyone saying I’m not looking for work :) But while I AM looking for work, I’m listening to BOTH SIDES lie, point fingers, name call etc., and spend ONE HOUR talking about a guy who died TWENTY FIVE years ago! Anyone else catch THAT ONE?!

unemployedrepublican22 07/21/2010 5:45pm

I wasn’t referring to you when I said " People really shouldn’t speak unless they have all the facts. And people will never admit that they don’t know what they’re talking about…as I can see you’ve noticed from your posts :)" I was pointing out that you have noticed the same thing as I. Also I just heard on the news that the House is scheduled to vote on the ammended bill tomorrow. So yay, one step closer. All this could’ve been avoided tho if they’d just voted on 5618…

Abaratarrr 07/21/2010 5:42pm

gretr33 07/21/2010 5:42pm

it passed 59 to 39 goes to house tomorrow

• eavina30 07/21/2010 11:04am

Democrats new slogan is come November we will Remember!!!!

• Jonapoo4u 07/21/2010 11:04am

it just passed houses first vote 233 yay 183 nay they have to revote after the senate tonight or tommorrow

• Jonapoo4u 07/21/2010 11:14am

cspan 2 they are going to vote on the UI i think after some debate

• gerryd 07/21/2010 11:17am

I AM SO SICK OF IT ALL – CSPAN COVERAGE OF IDIOTS LYING THROUGH THEIR TEETH OR RATHER THEIR CAPS/VENEERS. I JUST SPENT AN HOUR WATCHING THE FINANCIAL CHANNEL AND THE DOW NASDAQ AND S&P DROP BUT I SUPPOSE THAT WON’T EFFECT TOO MANY OF US. THAT’S ONE PROBLEM WE DON’T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT!!! WE HAVE BASICALLY LOST WHATEVER WE HAVE TO DATE. I KNOW I HAVE!!!! INCLUDING MY SELF-ESTEEM, MY INTEGRITY, MY SOCIAL OUTLETS, SUCH AS MY SO-CALLED FRIENDS WHO DO WORK BUT DO NOT WANT TO BE WITH A “DOOM AND GLOOM” TYPE OF PERSON, EVEN MY ONCE GOOD HEALTH!!! JUST ANOTHER SLEEPLESS NIGHT WONDERING WHAT TOMORROW WILL BRING!!

comments5647 07/21/2010 12:43pm

@gerryd Please remember most of are in this like yourself when I say the following: tomorrow the sun rises to give us another chance to start again. That is the beauty of daily sunrises. This will pass you will have a good tomorrows unless you give up. Try to keep you chin up there are those who have it much worse than you do and having walked this path you will be able to encourage others forced to walk the same path. I put my trust in the Lord and my self esteem? Let’s just say I know my value, my worth, and have been tried in the fire of life. Try to keep your chin up and when you can’t come back here and vent… :)

• Kerlynne 07/21/2010 11:17am

AHHHHH!!! Okay I get it already.. the Republicans want us to pay for it with out using the “credit card”… okay you waited to long!! Do it AFTER we get the bill passed. I still want my $100 bucks you took away as well!!!

Abaratarrr 07/21/2010 12:49pm

reid took out the extra $25 a week not the republicans, the republicans proposed to keep the $25 and still pay for the health insurance that Reid took out of the bill.

unemployedrepublican22 07/21/2010 5:38pm

again, nice fact finding :)

• Kerlynne 07/21/2010 11:22am

what are these motions they are asking for and get on a list of pending???

Abaratarrr 07/21/2010 12:50pm

reid proposed that 4 amendment be voted on if the republicans would agree to vote on 4213 immidialty without waiting the whole 30 hours, there was no objection

• Spam Comment

Abaratarrr 07/21/2010 12:51pm

yes 4213 extends EB

• Leary1980 07/21/2010 11:35am

Down with the GOP and hail all the Dems who have compassion and realize that bad things do happen to good people. I think PUBLIC SERVANTS of both parties should make NO MORE than $40K a year. That would give them some perspective on how it is to be a real American…and I doubt if 40K is even the avg salary, it’s probably a little on the high side but they do have a tough job. I just don’t see how one American can do this to another American. Shame on whoever yelled NAY for this bill. I hope the Dems really pound this point home in November so that in the future we will have REAL people in the Senate instead of a bunch of old people out of touch with reality. I mean come on…NO BENEFITS for the unemployed!?!?! LOL What do they think is going to happen to the economy, the homeless rate, the poverty line, the morale, the housing market, families, etc? The answer….THEY DON’T CARE.

Due to the archiving of this blog, comment posting has been disabled.