OpenCongress Blog

Blog Feed Comments Feed More RSS Feeds

Announcing Our First-Ever Donation Drive

July 28, 2010 - by David Moore

OC donation drive

For the first time ever, we’re asking for your donation to keep OpenCongress up and running.

OpenCongress is a non-profit project leading the fight for open and accountable government. We provide OpenCongress as an independent public resource, 100% free and open-source.

If you believe in transparent government, please support our work with a tax-deductible donation. With your help, we’ll keep fixing what’s broken with Congress: donate now.

After all, it’s been a busy year for Congress — and for us. From health care reform to financial reform to unemployment benefits, we’ve brought you the real story behind what’s happening in Congress. It’s been a great success — actually, it’s been our busiest year ever, with more than one million people visiting OpenCongress every month, viewing almost three million web pages.

That’s pretty amazing. Clearly, there’s a huge appetite out there for user-friendly political information and an immense public need for free online tools like ours. Over the past three years, OpenCongress has grown to become the most-visited government transparency website in the U.S., and maybe in the world.

As our community has grown, we’ve held OpenCongress together with grants from our terrific founding supporter, the Sunlight Foundation, and a few micro-donations… but we’ve reached the limit of what we can do with our current resources. So today, we need your help ::

We’re the Participatory Politics Foundation, a 501c3 non-profit organization with a mission to increase civic engagement. We’re web-based, independent, and active in the open-source community. We’re dedicated to keeping OpenCongress strong as a non-commercial, free (as in speech), mission-driven project — no “this bill brought to you by” commercial sponsors, no awful advertisements, just public information for the public good.

We hold these principles because we believe they are the best possible foundation for building a trustworthy and effective public resource for our democracy. We’re working every day to build public knowledge about politics and liberate public data. All of which is to say: we’re supported by people like you.

• If you use OpenCongress to learn about bills in the news and follow the issues you care about, please support our educational public-mission work.
  • If you use OpenCongress to track and share the best info about your interests in Congress with your community, please support our non-profit work enabling peer-to-peer communication and collaborative watchdogging of our government.
  • If you use OpenCongress and want to see it grow into an even more powerful tool for transparency and accountability, with useful new data sources and innovative new features, please support our open-source development.

We’re leading the fight to fix Congress, but like you, we want to do more. For example, our massive database of government data alone costs thousands of dollars per month in web hosting costs, and we need additional server capacity to handle the web traffic we get every day.  And that’s just to maintain the site, not even to build it into the amazing open-source tool it can be. We’ve written more than 2,000 blog posts explaining the notoriously arcane legislative process in more accessible language, but there’s tons more work to do in making the bill-to-law process as widely intelligible as it can and should be for our democracy.

Make a tax-deductible donation to OpenCongress now, and please help us spread the word. With your support of OpenCongress, everyone can be an insider:

Like this post? Stay in touch by following us on Twitter, joining us on Facebook, or by Subscribing with RSS.

Comments

• Moderated Comment

• Moderated Comment

• Moderated Comment

• Moderated Comment

• Moderated Comment

• WeThePeopleFightBack2010 07/28/2010 4:36pm

I am a 99er. All I was able to find was a p/t job at minimum wage. Try living on that. So sorry I can not donate. When is America going to get its factories back??????

beenblue 07/28/2010 7:06pm

Dear 99, as i read your post my heart aches for you, and at the same time anger comes over me. I want to wake up from this nightmare, I want some good news, I want my life back, but most sincerely I want you to have another chance to have your life back. So I`me going to share with you a little saying that my father always told me in times of trouble," If you want a steady and reliable hand look at the end of your own arm." You need to believe in yourself, I`me telling you to dare to dream !! F&*&% a factory job, what do you dare to be?, pick your head up and believe in yourself and others will believe in you, after all we learn from our failures not from our triumphs in life. There is no way around this, except straight through it.

Abaratarrr 07/28/2010 11:13pm

“Forty states have fewer jobs now than five years ago”
    “Overall, the United States lost 4.51 million private-sector jobs from mid-2005 to mid-2010, it said. The study used U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data from the 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.”

when you add to that the fact that 150,000 jobs a month need to be created just to keep up with birthrates and legal immigrants you can see how we ended up in so much trouble. 150,000 jobs times 60 months(5 years) give us another 9 million more people then there are jobs to be had. and you add that to what 5ish% unemployment that already that existed in 2005.

Your Dads advice was great advice 20 years ago, but today there are know jobs to be had the government is sucking up all the excess resources from out economy, the government is sucking up the resources that people need to eat.

beenblue 07/29/2010 10:41am

The truth is timeless, numbers can be abstract and used as a tool the same as word-craft is used as a tool to CONvince us the fear`s were experiencing are tangible and external ideological threats to our fragile existence. I`m not disputing the job loss ratio you present, or that the pentagon and it`s contractors are fear mongering to keep the astronomical amount of money flowing in, instead of using it to enrich our existence through education, eradication of hunger, and a viable healthcare system for every American. The system we have is antiquated, and corrupt, and every problem we are facing leads to the steps of Washington. My point was we need to wake-up, believe by our own will that together, we can oust the enemies of our fate from Washington before it`s to late.

• beenblue 07/28/2010 5:45pm

WHEN I GET BACK ON MY FEET, THAT IS GET A JOB, I WOULD LOVE TO DONATE TO THIS SITE AS IT WAS A GREAT TOOL FOR INFORMATION AND VENTING,WHILE THE PARTY OF (NO) IN WASHINGTON CAPSIZED MY LIFE RAFT, AND BEAT ME DOWN WITH THEIR (NO) CONCERN FOR THE UNEMPLOYED IN AMERICA STICK, I FOUND THIS SITE TO BE A FINGER ON THE PULSE OF THE BROKEN HEARTED IN OUR REPUBLIC, AND I FOUND THAT IT WAS VERY TRANSPARENT REPORTING OF THE FACTS AS THEY WERE UNFOLDING. I DON`T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU COULD HAVE SHOWN THE REPUBLICANS IN A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE, AS THEY WERE UNEQUIVOCAL IN SHOWING ANY MERCY TO THE VICTIMS OF THEIR AGENDA. THE QUESTION I WOULD LIKE ANSWERED BY THE PEOPLE OF BOTH PARTY`S IS 1: WHERE WAS THE CONCERN FOR THE DEFICIT DURING THE 8 YEARS BUSH WAS IN OFFICE?. 2: AT WHAT TIME IN HISTORY EVER, DID A NATION ENTER INTO WAR AND NOT RAISE TAX`S TO PAY FOR IT?. AND AS A COUP DE GRAS TO THIS NATION, A WAR IN THE MIDDLE EAST WHERE FOR EVERY INNOCENT KILLED A TERRORIST IS BORN. TRANSPARENT ENOUGH ?

PolicyOgre 07/29/2010 5:54am

amen brother

• jenny2010 07/30/2010 3:53pm

I will definitely be donating as soon as i receive my next unemployment benefits check. You see, the recent retropayment went all to my past due mortgages. I even had to borrow a couple of hundred to pay the late fee and nsf fees i had accumulated during congress’s stall in passing this last extension. But I will donate what i can next pay period. It won’t be much but I’m sure if everyone donated $5 dollars it would be better than nothing! I’m forever grateful for this site and know it helped me better understand the legislative process and kept me up-to-date on latest news. Thanks a million.

• skrapper 07/31/2010 4:33am

End the WAR, and stop sending all our money over seas for what ever comes along.
    All you RICH Politicians that have your hands in someone else’s pockets should donate. You people with your pay raises, and earnings of $400,000.00 yearly.
    Should re stock the system. Take a pay cut! We have to beg, and hope, and pray that we can even get a unemployment check… Not to mention keep our home, and pay bills, and food on the table. Read this,,, and here are some solutions to your problems.

What about ours? It was on the news today that Detroit is at 30% unemployment, and it’s only going to get worst. What are you going to do???

• CANDY2011 02/19/2011 4:06pm

AIR MAX 87 http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-skyline-c-13.html
    AIR MAX Terra Niety http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-terra-niety-c-12.html
    AIR MAX Skyline http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-skyline-c-13.html
    AIR MAX BW http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-bw-c-14.html
    AIR MAX 95 http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-95-c-8.html
    AIR MAX 93 http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-93-c-7.html
    AIR MAX 92 http://www.airmaxrequin.com/air-max-92-c-6.html

Due to the archiving of this blog, comment posting has been disabled.