OpenCongress Blog

Blog Feed Comments Feed More RSS Feeds

Right Now: Vigorous Organizing on the Unemployment Bill

March 9, 2008 - by Donny Shaw

UPDATE: The conversation and organizing has moved to a different unemployment extension bill, H.R.5749.

Original Post:

As the job market continues to worsen, people from across the country are organizing on OpenCongress to get the Senate to pass an extension of unemployment insurance benefits. The comments section for the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 has become a meeting place for people to push the bill into the media’s attention and to get the Senate to act on it.

This bill hasn’t had a mention in the media — people are sending it to each other and finding it on their own through web searches. A call has been put out on the page to get comments from people in every state. Others are suggesting that people email the bill page, complete with all the comments, to their senators as a petition. And some are using all the buzz there to try to grab the attention of the media.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next with this!

Like this post? Stay in touch by following us on Twitter, joining us on Facebook, or by Subscribing with RSS.

Comments

• Anonymous 03/10/2008 6:51am

Respectfully, Mr. President, when was the last time you felt the pain of a job loss? Based on news reports, if indeed 450,000 people have given up looking for work, let’s factor them in. Wouldn’t the unemployment rate exceed 5.7% or 6.0% or 6.5%? This is the week my unemployment ends and you want me to spend my rebate check on consumer products? Your economic stimulus plan won’t cover my house payment, utilities, gas, groceries, or anything extraneous in my family’s life. And to think, that inadequate rebate check might or might not arrive in May. (in North Carolina)

• Anonymous 03/10/2008 7:02am

Oh, I’m sorry, it’s 644,000 not 450,000, my bad . . . (in North Carolina)

• Anonymous 03/10/2008 1:27pm

Wake up America…

• Anonymous 03/10/2008 3:12pm

Mr. President, My husbands unemployment ran out 2 weeks ago. He has not been able to find a job, how are we suppose to pay our mortgage, bills buy food, feed our children? With this tax rebate check? $1200.00 will not even cover 1 month in our household. Maybe we should lose our home like the rest of America. Until our economy gets better we need this bill passed ASAP!!!! For the record we will not spend a dime of our rebate check on any consumer products.

• Anonymous 03/11/2008 11:09am

i have been living on my retirement savings for over 2 month after my 26 weeks were up and not from the lack of looking for work. i send out 100 resume a week.o sure 10.00 an hour jobs are out there the jobs left from illegals.if i were to take a 10.00 job in 6 month i would louse my home. we dont live 15 deep in a house. i have work as a sheet met. worker (tin knocker) for 15 years . this is were hard got me. pass s.2544 now!if you think we have foreclose problem now you have not seen the tip of the ice- Burg

• XOCMIT 03/11/2008 4:05pm

My unemployment ran out on Dec.8th of 07 and since then I have robbed peter to pay paul well now Peter and Paul have gotten together and I just can not make it any more so I will go peacefuly and loose all that I have worked all my life to own and let the bank have it!!!!!goodbye to the things I loved and I hope that so rich man who is counting the money he made for taking my home chocks on his dinner and dies!!!!!!

• XOCMIT 03/11/2008 4:07pm

My unemployment ran out on Dec.8th of 07 and since then I have robbed peter to pay paul well now Peter and Paul have gotten together and I just can not make it any more so I will go peacefuly and loose all that I have worked all my life to own and let the bank have it!!!!!goodbye to the things I loved and I hope that some rich man who is counting the money he made for taking my home chocks on his dinner and dies!!!!!!

• Anonymous 03/11/2008 7:36pm

I hate to admit it but I am a Republican and I am feeling the pain that all of you are feeling. In the past, I would get every job I went on an interviewed for. These days I have only gotten 2 interviews in 4 1/2 months and no one calls me back! I only have 6 weeks left of unemployment!!! Thank god my husband still has his job, although he lost his job too when Macy’s took over Marshall Fields in 2007. He was one of the lucky one’s to find another job, although it was a big paycut. At the begining of 2007 we made 83,000 a year… now all we bring in is 40,000!!! Good thing we built a new home in 2005! Now everyday we struggle to pay a mortgage, utilities, 2 car payments, food and HIGH gas prices. Good thing we got a low fixed rate on our home loan or we would probably be in foreclosure by now. I have resorted to selling everything and anything on ebay… that’s my employment. I have 20 years of experience as an admin asst, 38 years old and I can’t find a stinkin job! I feel for people who have less experience and who are older! All jobs in the paper now want experience!! Even $8.00 jobs. Well I never worked as a waitress, a cashier, etc. and without experience I can’t even do that!!! WE NEED AN EXTENSION IN MICHIGAN!!!! We don’t need foreclosure relief….these homes are foreclosing because people are unemployed, can’t find a job and their employment has run out! Give us extensions and maybe we might be able to pool enough money together so we can keep our homes out of foreclosure! With no extensions or additional help for the unemployed in Michigan, there is little chance of keeping our homes!!!!!

• Anonymous 03/12/2008 7:45am

CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME !!!!!

• Anonymous 03/21/2008 7:45am

My unemployment ran out the first week of March 2008. I cannot get a job as an administrative assistant, even though I have a B.S. in Business and 15 years of high level experience. I too was a Republican, but not any longer. I have never had trouble finding a job and now I am sending out 100s of resumes and still nothing.

• Anonymous 04/03/2008 8:22am

My husbands unemployment ran out 3 weeks ago. He is in the construction industry and because of the horrible winter weather in Northern Illinois, things have been very slow to pick up. Its a shame that we send so much of our tax dollars overseas and neglect to take care of our own American families. I watch tv and see ads collecting donations for other countrys. Why isn’t any organization doing something like that for the USA?
    The rebate checks won’t be out in time to help those who need it now. Lets get this extension for unemployment pushed through and take care of all the hard working Americans that need it now. GOD BLESS the USA! VOTE DEMOCRAT!!

• PoorFolk 04/03/2008 8:35am

Unemployment is at an all time high and is expected to rise. What does it take to get our goverment to see that an extension is needed? The sad thing is that the numbers are reflecting those that are currently getting benefits and not the thousands that have all ready ran out of unemployment. Where is my congressman and senator? Why aren’t they taking care of all the people that they were entrusted to do the right thing for? Both my husband and I have exhausted our benefits and will most likely lose our home. Lets pass this bill!

• Anonymous 04/14/2008 1:04pm

Dear Senator,
    Please help us! Time is of the essence since we, the unemployed, have
    exhaused all of our unemployment benefits and we further exhausting all of our savings to make our house payments. This is a time when boomers need to actually be saving more money. Extension of unemployment benefits
    needs to be approved now before we lose our homes and security through no
    fault of our own.

We are trying to weather this economic storm and we need the help of our
    government. I’m not talking about problems associated with subprime, bad
    mistake home loans – just a regualar, responsible folks trying to make their fixed payment for thirty years and for those of us trying to gain re-employment.
    Don’t let our homes disappear right from under us because the government
    won’t move quickly in taking correct action – like what happended to housing
    in the Katrina Storm disaster. Our country is already in the midst of
    housing disaster right now. Please don’t add to the problem.

Over the last three months, the US economy has shed 232,000 jobs. And
    just last month, the number of unemployed Americans increased by 434,000.

Furthermore, the deteriorating job market is happening as long-term
    unemployment is already at very high levels. 1.3 million workers have
    been unemployed for more than six months. Americans want Congress to act
    swifty and on a bi-partisan basis to enact legislation that would:

Immediately provide up to 13 weeks of extended unemployment benefits in
    every State.

Provide an additional 13 weeks (for a total of 26) in States with high
    unemployment (six percent or higher)

Be financed by the federal unemployment trust funds, which now have more
    than enough reserves to cover the cost.

• gorodskoy 04/30/2008 3:03pm

astroved.ru
    [url=http://astroved.ru/]astroved.ru[/url]

• pjlatombo 11/09/2011 6:13am

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy reading your story. chronic yeast infection

• pjlatombo 11/14/2011 6:42am

I appreciate your speculation as it attracts more people to discuss. systemic yeast infection

• paulfulton 11/15/2011 6:50am

The inspecting all of the websites they are interested in, and instead subscribe to websites such that all new content is pushed onto their browsers when it becomes available.Thanks for sharing the informative post. Regards. candidiasis treatment

• Spam Comment

• becauseican 02/08/2012 12:22pm

Thank you for the posts. I found the information to be informative and useful.
    roof repair brentwood

• Spam Comment

• Spam Comment

Due to the archiving of this blog, comment posting has been disabled.