Obama's 'American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan'January 3, 2009 - by Donny Shaw
In his weekly radio and video address this morning, President-elect Obama gave the most detailed description yet of his economic stimulus proposal:
Here are the five things he says the stimulus will do:
- double renewable energy production and renovate public buildings to make them more energy efficient;
- engage contractors across the nation to create jobs rebuilding our crumbling roads, bridges, and schools;
- update and computerize our health care system to cut red tape, prevent medical mistakes, and help reduce health care costs by billions of dollars each year;
- build 21st century classrooms, labs, and libraries;
- provide direct tax relief to 95 percent of American workers.
Obama will meet with Democrat and Republican congressional leaders on Monday to negotiate the size and scope of the stimulus package, and on Wednesday the House Steering and Policy Committee will hold the first hearing of the 111th Congress to discuss the proposal.