Congress LinksMay 5, 2009 - by Donny Shaw
- Rep. Chris Van Hollen suggests a direct rebate to taxpayers will make a cap-and-trade bill feasible.
- Obama meets with House Dems and suddenly Rep. Henry Waxman [D, CA-30] says his committee will be ready to mark up cap-and-trade legislation sometime in the next three weeks.
- A new ABC/Washington Post poll shows a surge in public support for giving illegal immigrants currently in the U.S. a path to citizenship. Could this be the year Congress passes comprehensive immigration reform legislation?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education has an article (free to non-subscribers for a few days only) on prospects for the DREAM Act passing this session of Congress.
- WaPo: Rep. Murtha’s (D-PA) nephew got $4 million in defense contracts, all of it without competition.
- Seven senators send a letter to the Committee on Rules and, voila, Senate votes are now available in XML.
- Schumer to Bernanke: “I believe the Federal Reserve’s failure to protect consumers from these outrageous rate increases is unconscionable.”
- via Reuters, Bernanke’s full prepared remarked before the Joint Economic Committee today.
- After they finish with foreclosures this week, the Senate will shift their attention to weapon systems acquisition reform. (h/t/ Senatus).
- H. Res. 230 – The U.S. House of Representative’s way of saying “Happy Cinco De Mayo!”
Have a link to share? Send it to us here.