S.2307 - Competitive and Fair Agricultural Markets Act of 2006
A bill to enhance fair and open competition in the production and sale of agricultural commodities. view all titles (2)
All Bill Titles
- Short: Competitive and Fair Agricultural Markets Act of 2006 as introduced.
- Official: A bill to enhance fair and open competition in the production and sale of agricultural commodities. as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 1
- Past Seven Days: 1
- All-Time: 418
Official Summary2/16/2006--Introduced.Competitive and Fair Agricultural Markets Act of 2006 - Amends the Agricultural Fair Practices Act of 1967 to define specified terms.Establishes within the Department of Agriculture the Office of Special Counsel for Competition Matters, which shall be headed by a Spec
Competitive and Fair Agricultural Markets Act of 2006 - Amends the Agricultural Fair Practices Act of 1967 to define specified terms.
Establishes within the Department of Agriculture the Office of Special Counsel for Competition Matters, which shall be headed by a Special Counsel for Competition Matters. States that the Office shall:
(1) investigate and prosecute violations of this Act, the Packers and Stockyards Act, 1921, and any other Act that the Secretary of Agriculture determines appropriate;
(2) serve as a liaison between the Department and the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) with respect to competition and trade practices in the food and agricultural sector; and
(3) maintain a staff of attorneys and other appropriate professionals. Requires a dealer, handler, contractor, processor, or commission merchant with annual sales in excess of $100 million to file an annual corporate structure report with the Secretary. Prohibits unfair or deceptive acts or practices:
(1) in agricultural commerce;
(2) concerning producer associations; and
(3) in agricultural contracts.
Sets forth agricultural and production contract and enforcement provisions.
Amends the Packers and Stockyards Act, 1921 to eliminate the "slaughter" requirement from the definitions of "poultry grower," "poultry growing arrangement," and "live poultry dealer."
(1) administrative enforcement authority to live poultry dealers; and
(2) temporary injunction or restraining order authority to instances of poultry care.
(1) it shall be an unlawful practice to engage in an unfair or discriminatory practice or device regardless of whether the practice or device causes a competitive injury or otherwise adversely effects competition; and
(2) a person affected by specified unfair practices shall not be required to prove predatory intent, competitive injury, or likelihood of injury.
...Read the Rest