S.3483 - National Innovation Education Act
A bill to improve national competitiveness through enhanced education initiatives. view all titles (4)
All Bill Titles
- Short: National Innovation Education Act as introduced.
- Short: College Pathway Act of 2006 as introduced.
- Short: Teacher Professional Development Institutes Act as introduced.
- Official: A bill to improve national competitiveness through enhanced education initiatives. as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 1
- Past Seven Days: 3
- All-Time: 451
Official Summary6/8/2006--Introduced.National Innovation Education Act - College Pathway Act of 2006 - Directs the Secretary of Education to award competitive grants to states to establish preschool through postsecondary (P-16) education stewardship commissions or systems consisting of such commissions an
National Innovation Education Act - College Pathway Act of 2006 - Directs the Secretary of Education to award competitive grants to states to establish preschool through postsecondary (P-16) education stewardship commissions or systems consisting of such commissions and P-16 education data systems.
Tasks each commission with reaching a consensus among statewide education stakeholders on the skills, knowledge, and patterns of coursework needed to successfully transition to and complete postsecondary education.
Requires that state-level longitudinal P-16 data systems track the academic performance of each student so that the factors which correlate with such success may be identified and publicized.
Authorizes the National Science Foundation (NSF) to award competitive grants to local educational agencies (LEAs) for the development or improvement of magnet school programs which focus on science, mathematics, and technology education. Directs the NSF to award grants to LEAs to enable implementation of innovation-based experiential learning.
Directs the Secretary to award competitive grants to institutions of higher education for integrated courses in mathematics, science, or engineering and teacher education, that lead to undergraduate degrees in such fields with concurrent teacher certification. Requires grantees to work with LEAs to support new teachers.
Teachers Professional Development Institutes Act - Authorizes the Secretary to award competitive grants to partnerships, or joint ventures between institutions of higher education and LEAs serving a significant low-income population, for the conduct of collaborative seminars designed to enhance the subject matter and pedagogical resources of seminar participants.
Requires the NSF to:
(1) expand the Graduate Research Fellowship Program and the Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship Program;
(2) establish a clearinghouse for sharing program elements used in successful professional science master's degree programs;
(3) award grants for pilot programs to four-year institutions of higher education to facilitate the creation or improvement of such programs;
(4) submit a multiyear plan that describes how the funds authorized by this Act for doubling research funding shall be used; and
(5) study how the federal government should support the new discipline of service science.
Authorizes appropriations for the NSF Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology Talent Expansion Program.
...Read the Rest