H.R.3221 - Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008

A bill to provide needed housing reform and for other purposes. view all titles (84)

• Short: Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Expand and Preserve Home Ownership Through Counseling Act as passed house.
  • Short: Expanding American Homeownership Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: FHA Manufactured Housing Loan Modernization Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Federal Housing Finance Regulatory Reform Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: FHA Manufactured Housing Loan Modernization Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: FHA Modernization Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: HOPE for Homeowners Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Emergency Mortgage Loan Modification Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Building American Homeownership Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Housing Assistance Tax Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Housing Tax Credit Coordination Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Mortgage Disclosure Improvement Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: S.A.F.E. Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Small Public Housing Authorities Paperwork Reduction Act as enacted.
  • Official: A bill to provide needed housing reform and for other purposes. as amended by senate.
  • Short: Biomass Research and Development Act of 2000 as passed house.
  • Short: New Direction for Energy Independence, National Security, and Consumer Protection Act and the Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Tax Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Mortgage Disclosure Improvement Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: Green Jobs Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Royalty Relief for American Consumers Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Smart Grid Facilitation Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: National Carbon Dioxide Storage Capacity Assessment Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Tax Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Advanced Geothermal Energy Research and Development Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Biofuels Research and Development Enhancement Act as introduced.
  • Short: Biomass Research and Development Act of 2000 as introduced.
  • Short: Carbon-Neutral Government Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Department of Energy Carbon Capture and Storage Research, Development, and Demonstration Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Energy Efficiency Improvement Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Energy Policy Reform and Revitalization Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Federal Consistency Appeals Decision Refinement Act as introduced.
  • Short: Global Change Research and Data Management Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Global Warming Wildlife Survival Act as introduced.
  • Short: International Climate Cooperation Re-engagement Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Marine Renewable Energy Research and Development Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: National Carbon Dioxide Storage Capacity Assessment Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: National Integrated Coastal and Ocean Observation Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Small Energy Efficient Businesses Act as introduced.
  • Short: Smart Grid Facilitation Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Solar Energy Research and Advancement Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Sustainable Energy Institutional Infrastructure Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Transportation Energy Security and Climate Change Mitigation Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: United States-Israel Energy Cooperation Act as introduced.
  • Short: New Direction for Energy Independence, National Security, and Consumer Protection Act as passed house.
  • Short: Advanced Geothermal Energy Research and Development Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Biofuels Research and Development Enhancement Act as passed house.
  • Short: Carbon-Neutral Government Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Department of Energy Carbon Capture and Storage Research, Development, and Demonstration Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Energy Efficiency Improvement Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Energy Policy Reform and Revitalization Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Federal Consistency Appeals Decision Refinement Act as passed house.
  • Short: Global Change Research and Data Management Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Global Warming Wildlife Survival Act as passed house.
  • Short: Green Jobs Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: International Climate Cooperation Re-engagement Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Marine Renewable Energy Research and Development Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: National Integrated Coastal and Ocean Observation Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Royalty Relief for American Consumers Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Solar Energy Research and Advancement Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Sustainable Energy Institutional Infrastructure Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Telework Enhancement Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: Transportation Energy Security and Climate Change Mitigation Act of 2007 as passed house.
  • Short: United States-Israel Energy Cooperation Act as passed house.
  • Short: Building American Homeownership Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: Clean Energy Tax Stimulus Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: FHA Manufactured Housing Loan Modernization Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: FHA Modernization Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: REIT Investment Diversification and Empowerment Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Official: Moving the United States toward greater energy independence and security, developing innovative new technologies, reducing carbon emissions, creating green jobs, protecting consumers, increasing clean renewable energy production, and modernizing our energy infrastructure. as introduced.
  • Official: Moving the United States toward greater energy independence and security, developing innovative new technologies, reducing carbon emissions, creating green jobs, protecting consumers, increasing clean renewable energy production, and modernizing our energy infrastructure, and to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax incentives for the production of renewable energy and energy conservation. as amended by house.
  • Short: Small Energy Efficient Businesses Act as passed house.
  • Short: New Direction for Energy Independence, National Security, and Consumer Protection Act as introduced.
  • Short: Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Popular: American Housing Rescue and Foreclosure Prevention Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Housing Tax Credit Coordination Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: American Housing Rescue and Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: FHA Housing Stabilization and Homeownership Retention Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 as passed senate.

scared 01/29/2009 1:54pm

Hello, American people need the help!! It’s all of the CEO’s of these large companies that are taking taxpayers monies and becoming richer…It honest, hard working americans need the help and this can make a change in their families lives..Let’s get this past so american’s can continue living, have a fresh start and get america back on it’s feet….

Anonymous 09/19/2008 8:09am

I bought a house 3 yrs ago with my husband for $739,000. At the time we were both working and could afford the house pretty confortably. Last year my husband left me and my 2 boys. Before he left, he took out a loan against the house which brought my dept to $850,000. I was left with this high mortgage and only my income to cover it. At the time he took money out the property was worth about $910,000. I tried to keep it for as long as I could. Finaly I had to let it go. Before the foreclosure sale, the bank allowed me to keep the property under a program that will freeze the loan for 6 months. I have to make a small payment of $2000 per month to keep everything frozen. NO interest is accumulating, the money is just to hold off on the foreclosure sale. 6 months is coming to an end pretty soon and I will be back to square one because the house is now worth $650,000 so I can’t sell it. This new bill will help me keep my house. B4 this help came, I came to understand that losing my house is not the end of the world. But with this new law, I will be greatly relieved of my burden. I think it was GOD sent.

rpowers 09/09/2008 8:14am

It is the federal intervention in the housing and monetary markets which caused the terrible situation we are in in the first place…. the fix is less govt, not more.

rpowers 09/09/2008 8:11am

It is the federal intervention in the housing and monetary markets which caused the terrible situation we are in in the first place…. the fix is less gov’t, not mroe.

Anonymous 08/20/2008 12:49pm

you all are asses. seriously, grow up and think about things. sure, people who make 50k per year should not be given loans for houses that cost $500k or more… therefore it is their fault, them and the lender, that they are in the situation theyre in. but lets not loose sight of the fact that this economy, not to mention government, is raping the people who work for a living… the ones trying to make a good living and provide for their families. i bought a house last year, it was perfect for me (oh and fyi for the moron that said you shouldnt buy things if you cant afford em, what planet are you from cause i personally dont know many people with a couple hundred thousand dollars just sitting around, thats why you get loans) at the time, but now it has depreciated so much with the terrible economy that not only can i not sell or rent it but the high prices of everything around us are causing the mortgage payment to be more a more difficult to fulfill. and no, not cause i cant afford it, but because everything else that we need to survive has become harder to afford. i make plenty of money to afford a house that once was worth $200k but now that its worth $140k its almost useless. with property values so low everywhere, rent is being effected which means that now my mortgage is more than what most can rent a similar property for. so in order to get out of my house and not waste the rest of my life paying off a house that i may end up losing money on in the end anyway, this is an option for me. granted, as with anything the government does, it is designed with loop holes and any dipshit with half a brain could figure out how to swindle money out of this program undeservingly, but for those who are really in a bad situation by no fault of their own and are stuggling to make ends meet, they are the ones that need this. so i hate to break it to ya, while theyre are bad points to this (what has our government done that didnt have bad points… seriously, look at this country, not to mention the ones we have our hands in, theyre all going to hell right now), the sheer fact of the matter is that there are thousands of people out there that are just hard working people who had bad luck. while a large amount of the people benefitting from this will be the ones that bought houses that were further out of their price range than self funded space exploration, there are the select few, the ones that this is intended for, that really do need this cause right now times are just tough! so really, think before you speak, just because a large amount of this country is fucked doesnt mean everyone who owns a house got into it by buying things they couldnt afford or being irresponsible.

marissacalderon 07/29/2008 11:22am

This bill is ridiculous and nothing more than a bailout. If you cannot afford to live in your house the best thing is to SELL IT before it forecloses, or rent it out. But people have the nerve to sit in their homes and piss and moan and let the taxpayers fix their lives. This nation is too dependent on government programs.

I was born and raised in NY. I love NY, that will always be my home. But I wanted a house so I moved to KY. If you cannot afford to live somewhere you adapt and evolve, like nature. For a 3 bedroom home in NY I would be paying well over $1,000 a month for my mortgage. In KY I pay $600 a month. My mortgage, heating and water bills combined don’t even amount to how much I was paying for rent in NY. So if you got yourself into this mess, it was your own damn fault, so if you had any dignity left I suggest you get yourselves out of it.

Anonymous 07/27/2008 3:57pm

What an amazing resource. Keep up the great work!

zane 07/27/2008 3:50pm

Terrible blank check:
Ready your helicopters
Señor Bernanke.

Anonymous 07/26/2008 8:04pm

Wrong People….. There are many many people in the housing and mortgage industry who are loosing their homes and struggling even to put food on the table. These weren’t speculators but hard working men and women who found themselves in the wrong industry. I’ve worked with men at my office who worked as super intendants with 3 children loosing their homes because the company doesn’t have the money to pay them for 3 months now. So now they’re living in apartments of depending on other family members to help them survive. The government is going to take our tax money one way or another why not help the legitimate people in a crappy economy

JoeH 07/22/2008 4:23am

By the time this bill is passed I will have paid off my mortgage and won’t need a reverse mortgage.

Anonymous 07/21/2008 10:23am

amen. if you cant fu*&& affored it dont buy it. ditto for the rich how seem to be the ones geting the help! %$#*!

Anonymous 07/17/2008 12:56pm
in reply to Anonymous Jul 16, 2008 3:36pm

Yes, let’s fan the flames of consumerism and force this country into an even worse depression by putting this one off by a few more months. How long will it take Americans to learn that if you can’t afford something, don’t buy it! If the government wants to bail out the subprime market then I want my check for being smart enough not to buy until I could afford it.

Anonymous 07/16/2008 3:36pm

This bill must pass to help people out of this suprime mortgate.. i am proud of be a american, with this congress that having been starting stopping Bush and his administration of this road of destruction of America

gkdaw_usa 07/15/2008 2:56pm

I think if one or more of the senators have a vested interest in Oil or alterative energy, they should not be able to vote becouse they have a vested interest in one or the other and it will be the only way to get a real honest VOTE in Congress.

Anonymous 07/14/2008 4:53pm

Federal jobs. When the government screws up, hire more.

gkdaw_usa 07/13/2008 8:29am

Yes Pass it to help your Fellow Americans people, not the people that are Killing this Country Like The Princess of OIL you know your Boss the one that has the world in this mess, just look at it just think you helped make it this way are you a proud Republi=cannot’s are you a American or not? answer this then is your Boss telling the Truth! ?

What is the Idea of Independents ? Oil or America ? or for the king of Oil is in S.A. and you Live where ? THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA !

Happy Independents Day America!?
We have a longer way too go!
I think we are further from American Independents than ever Befor in History!, We where from the start !
It started out to be U.S. verses British Rule and now it is the United States of America Verses The rule of OIL but are we fighting to help the rule of Oil or are WE fighting to brake away from Oil it is all the to be looked at but we are on the wrong side at this time in history of true Independents we have the technologies to brake away from the RULER of Oil but our Leader in not for Independents he is for the Rule of OIL and the Rule of Oil is not IN this Country so the Ruler is not in this country and so the people of this country is too suffer the poor to suffer and most of all because the ruler of Oil has sent job’s away so the people would have more to complain about and still not really do a thing to fix this mess , the Rule has taken away all your Rights from are True INDEPENDENTS to try to replace it with the rule of Oil , and not to use the TECHNOLOGIES of yesterday to bring it to the Future, so by doing so we are not so Independent as WE should be. I can not stand it, I could be thronging names or Businesses names but most people know the truth and it is just a mater of time when the people of this country start dying for this U.S.A. country agian ! Here!
Electric could be are NEW INDEPENDENTS! FROM THE RULER OF OIL!

NISSAN | Super Motor, Thay Still do not know what I do , My Idea is better then this , There’s still needs a Battery’s or a gas motor to run it I am talking about running Big rigs as well as cars, trucks, SUV’s, Tractors, and small motors, but still I’m not getting the help I have asked for. I will need help to make it happen her in the USA!
Can you help me ! Please! 4 your Country!
call me at 1-269-236-5019 Ask for Glen to have a meeting gkdaw_usa@msn.com
Just becouse I am Disabled dose not mean I am not Bright.
or have I been BUSH-Wacked again
U.S.A. Or Not

What I would like to see is an address to the American People from are President that is talking To the American People not Iraq, not Afghanistan, not any thing But The People of The United States of America.
Just look back at the address’s in the Past and the History of real Presidents of this Country. He has not even been close to the People and your Party has been the same! just look at Hitler’s Party just one to follow and A real American is no guts no glory! so what is your Party ?
American OR not ?

gkdaw_usa 07/13/2008 8:15am

Just need some one in this field too look at this for real ! An Electric, Mechanical, Engineering
I would like to know if I could talk to some one about My Motor, A Real Concept I have and it is like but not from, NISSAN | Super Motor, and like the fuellesss Car Patent. I had to do a lot to find those to prove to my self it could work, NISSAN= Super Motor, like the fuelless Car Patent. and Still thay do not, do it the way that I would, My Idea is better than there’s, and Nissan’s still needs to Plug in to charge there Batteries or us a gas motor to run it., I am talking about running Big rigs as well as car’s, truck’s, SUV’s, Tractor’s, from the Biggest to the smallest just Mine is a replacement of all types of Gas Diesel motors just take out what is in your Vehicle and re-place with My Idea. , but I’m just not getting the help I will need to make it happen here in the USA! Can you help me ?! Please! 4 your Country! USA
call me at 1-269-236-5019 Ask for Glen White to have a meeting or gwhiteusa777@triton.net Just becouse I am Disabled dose not mean I am not Bright. Just give me a chance Please!?! We will not be taking a lot of time to make the First one becouse most parts are on shelf just two or there, miner parts will need to be maid ! Could you help Me? To Do this for are Country It is more than just another Idea! This is for real.
or should we just put rails on every road? Or just put a conveyors on are high ways and side roads. (Not) I really think I got it right with the first one! come and see for your self! just call I just need some TECH Help.!
I would like to Partner with my country but will it Partner with me!? OR ? What!

Janice 07/11/2008 6:33pm

Should not have passed.

Anonymous 07/08/2008 10:50am
in reply to Anonymous Jun 26, 2008 9:30am

How many congressioanl districts are you voting in?

Anonymous 06/26/2008 9:30am

I am sending an E-mail to all Washington congress members who voted Aye, that they have lost MY vote for them!

Anonymous 06/25/2008 12:18am
jqhycbkm [URL=http://vdltluor.com]wcnxepif[/URL] pfrldxan http://kkcdkjzm.com gussmysv pzukjost
blueyedmom34 06/23/2008 11:36am

reading this bill gave me a headache…lol. Anyone want to sum it up in 100 wds or less for me….lol.

Anonymous 06/20/2008 4:40pm

I agree bill should not pass. My neighbor took out an ARM and is now in trouble he now owes 10,000 more than he paid for home two years ago and is paying 9% int. However in the past year he has bought a Hummer,new Harley motorcycle,DR Brush Hog,$5000 espresso machine and who knows what else. Hard for me to feel sorry for him. Also the loan I took out in 1978 after a 30% down pymt was 9% and we paid that for 15 yrs. and were happy to get it.

Anonymous 06/20/2008 10:08am

This bill should not become law. 80% of the people being ‘bailed’ out are investors in California. They expected prices to keep increasing, but instead the market corrected itself in areas that were overpriced. This is how a free market works. US citizens should not be bailing out corporations and people who can’t afford the loan they took out. Period.

Anonymous 05/13/2008 8:21am

loans too long and too much. How about loans for compressed air cars?

Anonymous 05/12/2008 6:24pm

Sounds like a government bailout for irresponible home buyers to me.

JoeH 05/09/2008 1:50am

Well, It appears that congress has worked on this bill long enough to kill it. The hell with senior citizens.

Anonymous 04/24/2008 7:41am

Dont ask questions!

JoeH 04/22/2008 6:12am

I understand that this bill includes the FHA Modernization Act. If thats true I’m for it. It’s about time something got to the president.

Anonymous 04/08/2008 11:15am

The bill should have transportation alternatives like incentives for the car that runs on compressed air. They have them in France. They work fine.