H.R.4040 - Consumer Product Safety Modernization Act

To establish consumer product safety standards and other safety requirements for children's products and to reauthorize and modernize the Consumer Product Safety Commission. view all titles (10)

• Short: CPSC Reform Act as passed senate.
  • Short: Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Danny Keysar Child Product Safety Notification Act as enacted.
  • Short: Consumer Product Safety Modernization Act as reported to house.
  • Short: Danny Keysar Child Product Safety Notification Act as passed senate.
  • Short: Consumer Product Safety Modernization Act as introduced.
  • Short: Consumer Product Safety Modernization Act as passed house.
  • Short: Danny Keysar Child Product Safety Notification Act as passed house.
  • Official: To establish consumer product safety standards and other safety requirements for children's products and to reauthorize and modernize the Consumer Product Safety Commission. as introduced.
  • Short: Danny Keysar Child Product Safety Notification Act as reported to house.

Anonymous 02/19/2009 8:47am

The change will cause the poor will suffer for charities will stop donating clothes because the charity will not be able to afford the cost of testing. Charity resale shops will also lose revenue from selling used clothing, which is money used to fund other charity services.

Anonymous 01/08/2009 2:59pm

what about clothes. i work at a huge thrift store and we sell lots of kids clothes. does that count? to me it sounds like toys specifically. I dont mind getting rid of our toy department..lol..hurt my feelings..But i AM concerned about the clothes..That is at least half of the sales,,

Anonymous 01/07/2009 12:44pm

Which part specifically mentions clothing? Which part specifically mentions hand-me-downs from one mom to another?

Show me specifically or I will be forced to claim stupidity…the legalese gets in the way and with 3 small children, I don’t have time to wade through it with a fine tooth comb.

Anonymous 01/06/2009 7:16am

I own a business that sells a lot of kid’s toys among other things. Am I supposed to throw all my uncertified inventory away?

Anonymous 01/05/2009 3:15pm

I disagree also. I make childrens hair bows & outfits. I cannot afford the testing, so I will have to close. This is how we want to fix the economy?

awitz09 01/05/2009 7:54am

I disagree with this bill, as it is written. It will impact ever American family living on a modest income, let alone those living with little to no income. Gently used clothes are a great way to clothes our children. Who can afford only brand new clothes? Are we just supposed to throw away everything we have? I have been wearing clothes for decades and seem to be functioning just fine. I protect my children from every possible danger, and I don’t feel that the pants and shirt I put on them this morning is a danger. Let’s change the wording to affect clothing made after Feb 10th. Leave it up to manufacturers to supply clothing or material that is free of harmful chemicals.

Anonymous 12/27/2008 7:27am

This bill/law is too far reaching. It is putting many cottage industries out of business as we can not afford the expensive lead testing requirements. Something has to be changed. Thousands will be out of work come 2-10-09 and not due to layoffs. So many stay at home Moms who put food on the table with the work of their hands. Grandmas who sew booties at a festival to supplement their Social Security, Grandfathers who build wooden toys to have a small income, all affected.

mnconsumer 08/15/2008 10:59am

I would vote against the bill too.
Sec. 106. Study of preventable injuries and deaths in minority children related to consumer products3. Reauthorization.
What does this say about a certain group of people? That sentence alone would prompt me to vote against it. Minority children are NOT the only kids getting hurt. This bill reaks.

sagenhoney 02/07/2008 5:39am

Parents cannot make informed decisions when the government accepts/imports such toys repeatedly from places they know have health issues. Same goes with the subject of deciding whether or not they will label cloned meat.

alex 01/17/2008 11:16am
in reply to marknoble Jan 16, 2008 7:33pm

Parents and retailers? How are they to tell if a toy contains lead paint, or any other toxic substance for that matter. Relying on the free market to ensure people aren’t poisoning our children via their toys isn’t something I feel very comfortable with. I’d rather see more manufacturing come back here, but that won’t happen, and as a result I support the idea of some government oversight.

marknoble 01/16/2008 7:33pm

It is the responsibility of parents (consumers), retailers, and the toy industry – not government, to ensure the safety of childrens toys. Harm done to children by poorly designed toys is already covered under laws against negligence. Who better, for example, to monitor the safety of Chinese toys than the manufacturers of competing toys from other nations?