H.R.5140 - Recovery Rebates and Economic Stimulus for the American People Act of 2008

To provide economic stimulus through recovery rebates to individuals, incentives for business investment, and an increase in conforming and FHA loan limits. view all titles (5)

• Short: Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 as enacted.
  • Short: Recovery Rebates and Economic Stimulus for the American People Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Recovery Rebates and Economic Stimulus for the American People Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Official: To provide economic stimulus through recovery rebates to individuals, incentives for business investment, and an increase in conforming and FHA loan limits. as introduced.

Anonymous 01/28/2009 5:49am
in reply to Anonymous Feb 12, 2008 6:21am

Maybe it’s time to get out of the mortgage business.

Anonymous 04/21/2008 8:01am

America needs an unemployment extension before this bee sting of a bonus check.

Anonymous 04/14/2008 10:00am

OH Wow!! This is only going to help all the unemployed pay their bills!! What is Bush thinking??? No-one is going to go out shopping to boost the economy – they are fooling them- selves if they think this is going to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous 04/02/2008 10:25am

Ok, does anyone know anything about the “FHA Modernization Bill S. 2338”, it has been sitting and I can’t get a simple answer to what is happening? We are good inacent people who are getting screwed because of the subprime problems that happened. If anyone has any information please tell us.

Anonymous 04/02/2008 10:07am
in reply to Anonymous Mar 18, 2008 12:20pm

Hey narrow minded A$$HOLE! Not all women who are single mothers are single mothers by choice! There ARE some of us who’s partner or husband are deceased!!! SO SHUT YOUR EFFIN PIE HOLE!!!!

Anonymous 03/28/2008 9:13pm

I dont think they should have made the stimulus package if they cant help all low income families thats not right.

Anonymous 03/28/2008 9:03pm

I dont think its fair sounds like they are discriminating against us because we are disabled we didnt ask for this.i would love to work but i am permanently disabled.living on a 643.oo check a month wow enough to pay my rent and buy a few groceries.i thoght this was to help all the low income families but i guess we dont matter.

Anonymous 03/27/2008 10:20am

When is the FHA Modernization Bill S. 2338 going to the President, we are sinking every day and it is scarying the hell out of me. I have sent numerous letters and still no one can answer that simple questioned.

Anonymous 03/26/2008 6:55pm

Where is the government getting this money from?

Anonymous 03/18/2008 12:20pm
in reply to Anonymous Feb 05, 2008 6:46am

It’s your fault for becoming a single mother of 3 kids is it not? Exactly. But anyways, from my understanding you receive $300 per child if they comply with the Child Tax portion. So you think opposite. This act helps the parents that have children…

donnyshaw 03/18/2008 11:20am

When to Expect Your Stimulus Check:

Anonymous 03/12/2008 11:29am

I think it will be very effective in terms of target audience perception, but to most of those who will get the rebates, while on the one hand, certainly anything is better than nothing, the fact is that for anyone struggling, running up credit card bills in order to stay in housing, it is more likely to function as a sort of false hope, a shiny bandaid on a sucking chest wound.

$1200 is not going to change the fact that someone simply does not earn enough money to afford housing and/or medical care, and as has been pointed out, if the money is used to pay back money owed, if the money were given directly to the credit card companies, it could be increased by the amount of administrative costs that will be incurred by having it pass through the hands of the cardholders!

heavensmagiclao 03/09/2008 7:14am

It is very disappointing to Heaven’s Miraculous Angelic Giving Inspirational Child, Inc., that our government spends 42 million dollars on letters about a tax refund, billions in Iraq, and yet the G.I.V.E. Act struggles for acceptance.

Heaven’s Miraculous Angelic Giving Inspirational Child, Inc. would thrive in a country that embraces the G.I.V.E. Act.

Service-Learning has immeasurable value!!

Check out “The U.T.O.P.I.A. Project” and discover the power of Service-Learning for yourself.

Pay close attention to the U.T.O.P.I.A. System and please listen to the beginning message.

If they don’t pass the G.I.V.E. Act, “We the People” will have to GIVE more of our tax money for prisons, GIVE more of our tax money for drug and alcohol abuse, GIVE more of our tax money for teenage pregnancy, and GIVE more of our tax money for welfare.

The G.I.V.E. Act and a proactive approach seems so much more logical, supportive, and responsible.

A vote for Service-Learning and support for Service-Learning will enrich this country, its youth, and its educators. It will also keep more money in your wallet in the long run.

When you realize how valuable Service-Learning is, please call your representatives and persuade them to pass the G.I.V.E. Act.

God Bless all who support the G.I.V.E. Act!

Sincerely,
Laura Ann Osterman
Founder and President
Heaven’s Miraculous Angelic Giving Inspirational Child, Inc.

jallen_007 03/03/2008 4:30pm
in reply to Anonymous Feb 29, 2008 2:14pm

Possibly July, hopefully in time to celebrate America’s Independence on the 4th…

jallen_007 03/03/2008 4:28pm
in reply to wipinitboss Feb 16, 2008 4:16am

Or you could become a drug dealer and not worry about what government programs to reap your rewards….unless you were kidding…Because sooner or later there gonna seize it all anyways…

jallen_007 03/03/2008 4:26pm
in reply to Anonymous Feb 16, 2008 3:09pm

I think it goes along with earned in come from wages, because I know their not figuring in my unemployment for earned income…

jallen_007 03/03/2008 4:23pm
in reply to heftyjake Feb 15, 2008 10:42am

You know it’s really hard to have confidence of the American people when the majority of those people were opposed to George bush being the president….The fact he choose dick chenny as a vice president and all the lies and corruption those two have indulged this country with and still he thinks we are proud to call them commander and chief and be grateful…Don’t make me puke!!!!

jallen_007 03/03/2008 4:06pm
in reply to Anonymous Feb 07, 2008 4:49pm

Yhea actually you got it right if your income puts you below poverty level at poverty level, you can pretty much guarantee there are bills not being paid….

If the rich want to get richer trust it won’t be on my account….and quite frankly….

I read the article on line titled,
SENATE PROPOSAL TO ADD UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE BENEFITS
IMPROVES EFFECTIVENESS OF STIMULUS BILL
By Chad Stone, Sharon Parrott and Martha Coven

So this all makes sense except the fact that an extension for UI was not included on the stimulus bill that passed in mid February, 2008.
My question is what is the likely hood of an extension being added as an amendment??? I personally have been interviewing for several different jobs…One job actually called one my references, turns out he was sick for two weeks and by time he called them back, they had already given the job to someone else. I have also run it to the problem of my previous employers and direct supervisor are no longer with the company I worked for 10 – 15 years ago….So I can concur with Alan Greenspan it’s not for the lack of wanting to work….I have a Bachelors degree, up until September 2007 worked for a non-profit organization making between 20,000.00 & 22,000.00 yearly. I didn’t realize just how underpaid I was until reading an article in the local newspaper stating that the average earnings potential for a person with an Bachelors degree was 32,00.00-35,000.00 yearly A high school graduate was at 22,000.00 – 25,000.00 yearly and a high school dropout could earn about 19,000.00 -21,000.00 yearly….. Well it’s no damn wonder I can’t pay my student loans…..I went to school because most jobs that pay a living wage needs a college education….Now that I’m done with school I have friends and family who were dropouts and they make between 5,000.00 – 7,000.00 a year more than I….Until September that is…. when the budgets were cut from the State via the Federal Government, that trickled down to the County level which cut our funding….bye, bye program bye, bye income.

So I am writing to see what the likely hood of an extension being enacted???

Anonymous 03/01/2008 1:52pm

i think we are going pass recession straight into the biggest depression known to mankind and no end to cause of the money ungry oil maggits

Anonymous 03/01/2008 1:31pm

does people on total disbility get a part of the is package

Anonymous 02/29/2008 2:15pm

When are the checks going to be sent out????

Anonymous 02/29/2008 2:14pm

Well what I want to know is: When do you get the checks? How long till we receive them? Anytime soon????

Middletown 02/29/2008 5:43am

Its a bribe by Bush. plain and simple.

moifrey 02/28/2008 3:37pm
in reply to Anonymous Feb 07, 2008 1:40pm

My understanding is that earmarks are not published in the text of a bill. Rather, they are added to the bill just before it’s voted on.

Tracing earmarks is a difficult enterprise, but the Seattle Times investigative news team did it for one important bill, which took them weeks and weeks of mind-numbing research effort. But it paid off, because now they have an earmark database. Check it out at http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/favorfactory/.

Look for more communities to follow their lead. Eventually, that information could make its way into sites like OpenCongress, but even when it does, it will be after-the-fact to the bill’s passage. Unless things change, that is, and access to the information could just make that happen.

moifrey 02/28/2008 3:30pm
in reply to Anonymous Feb 07, 2008 9:20am

Anonymous, your attack on mhkid is unwarranted. You’re reading WAY too much into his comment.

Hiding behind anonymity and hurling insults won’t convince anyone to agree with you, it’s just cowardly and nasty.

Anonymous 02/20/2008 4:26pm

On the rebates: Rebates will certainly stimulate business, and to the extent it will help fend off a recesssion, if help is really needed. And I can imagine there are a good number of Americans living paycheck to paycheck who will indeed spend the rebate instead of paying down the credit cards. However it is unlikely to do enough in itself to grow the economy in those sectors impacted by the credit market problems. It will still be a recession to those folks. Just like the old joke, the difference between a depression and a recession: If your neighbor is out of work it’s a recession. If you’re out of work it’s a depression.

Anonymous 02/19/2008 6:44am

I (Chad Roby) think this plan is so good.

Anonymous 02/17/2008 5:37am

If you are currently in a chapter 13 bankruptcy will you still receive a check?

Anonymous 02/16/2008 3:09pm

can someone explain to me how in the hell cogress can say ssi is not a qualifying income when those on ssi have to show the ssi statement as proof of income for 1- a fha loan and 2- food stamps and any other finanial functioning body that requires the proof of income regardless of what it is i know i am one of those individuals that is on ssi and getting the shaft from congress on down and we hear them selling this disability reform thing that does not even make those who are on disability feel like they do not count for nothing now they will not let us get a 300 dollar one time check how petty this is supposed to help the low income well i guess not thanks washington d.c. for screwing the poor again

wipinitboss 02/16/2008 4:16am

This bill as explained by the Tax Committee includes the income earned by us military in the combat zone. The text of the law as signed by the President does not. It does not have any provision for those of us who put it on the line. Well, I guess I should just go on welfare and sign up for “disability” with SSI and feign drug addiction or something to “qualify”!