H.R.5749 - Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008

To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (5)

• Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as reported to house.
  • Official: To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as passed house.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 10:58am

TO ALL THE UNEMPLOYED READING THIS.DON’T GIVE UP. WE HAVE TO FIGHT FOR WHAT WE RIGHTLY DESERVE. THERE ARE SEVERAL ORGANIZATIONS FIGHTING FOR US. UNEMPLOYEDWORKERS.ORG AND NELP.ORG AS WELL AS AFLCIO.ORG. CONTACT THEM AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT. EVERYONE SHOULD BE CONTACTING THEIR SENATORS AND CONGRESSMEN TO LET THEM KNOW ABOUT OUR SITUATION. ALL REPUBLICANS SHOULD CONTACT JOHN MCCAIN’S CAMPAIGN AND LET THEM KNOW THAT WE WILL NOT VOTE FOR HIM IF HE CONTINUES TO NOT SUPPORT AN UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION. WE HAVE TO USE THE POWER OF THE INTERNET TO MAKE SURE WE ARE HEARD. DON’T JUST POST HERE BUT DO IT EVERYWHERE THAT YOU CAN FIND. WE SHOULD BE POSTING ON WASHINGTONWATCH.COM ALSO. WE CAN’T WORK RIGHT NOW SO LETS USE THAT TIME TO FIGHT FOR THIS. LET THE REPUBLICANS KNOW THAT WE WILL NOT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!!!. WE ALL HAVE THE INTERNET AT LEAST FOR NOW, LETS USE IT TO MAKE OUR VOICE HEARD AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

• Synesthesia 04/18/2008 11:05am

What do they mean “not looking for work”
    Do they have any idea how cold it’s been? I’ve been out in 18 degree weather going to an interview only to have the interviewer tell the person who set it up that I had my coat on the whole time.
    i did not, and even if I did, does it matter when I was making direct eye contact and asking intelligent questions?
    I’ve joined tons of temp places who all say, it’s slowed down.
    Since I don’t have a car, I haven’t been able to take jobs offered in places that are too hard to get to. It would cost a ton of money to get to such places.
    These expensive suit-wearing making six figure salaries have the nerve to say that I’M NOT TRYING TO FIND A JOB?
    It’s getting discouraging because sometimes they are so PICKY.
    Like you don’t have access experience, you can’t get the job. You don’t have 5 years of experience, no job. It’s stupid and illogical the way this system is!

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 11:11am

I’ve moved here from the s2544 board, too. Let’s hope that nasty little troll doesn’t follow!

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 11:14am

I wonder if typing this link in to google search will and going to it often, will it bring it to the top of google search. I tried to find it in google unemployment ext (various ways) and 2544 came up on top. Wonder if it will make a difference and make it easier to find people by getting more hits as a top google search. Just a thought.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 11:14am

I’m wondering when the vote will occur in the House? Think they’ll get it done Monday? Then how long until it moves to the Senate???

I know they have a target date of June 1 for this bill, I just don’t know what that means. That it’s passed by then? Or that the actual disbursements will start then??? I actually hope that it takes effect much sooner!

• Synesthesia 04/18/2008 11:16am

June 1st?
    Dood, landladies, banks, credit card companies and various other folks are only patient for so long.
    We needed this YESTERDAY!
    Last month. This problem should have been directly faced back when it first started!
    Do they really want another great depression?
    I don’t!
    So they need to take some action and not delay!

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 11:18am

None of us know, that’s why we all monitor, media, websites, senate/congress calendars,etc. it’s frustrating. So, let’s all keep each other posted on what news we find.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 11:49am

Yeah, I know I needed it a few months ago. I’m broke, staying with a friend now, might have a temp job for 8-10 weeks lined up, think it pays minimum wage, though. Better than nothing, especially if this bill passes it will help even if I’m working for peanuts.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 11:54am

Unemployed in OR – was a mortgage underwriter.  There are just not any jobs out there unless you know someone, and it gets filled before it even becomes common knowledge.  The problem with the credit mess is that there are a lot of middle income workers out there who are highly skilled in lending – but cannot get a job in the same or similar field.  Many potential employers I have spoken to are very concerned about being over or under qualified for a different field, and the biggest concern being that as soon as the market turns around, that we will abandon them and go back to mortgages.  This is a real issue – I can’t even get Fred Meyer’s to call me back (a regional food store).  So, instead of extended benefits, I will be applying for food stamps and welfare soon.  So, instead of pulling money out a trust that my state already has set up, I will be pulling funds from a budgeted and very slim public assistance program that was NOT anticipating all of this when the program budget was being discussed for this year.  Granted, I am in Oregon where the unemployment is currently at 5.7% so I would barely miss being eligible, but it still the principle of the matter.  However, unemployment in our state is also region wide, and Portland is having a growing unemployed population – more so than the outlying areas.  How is that fair? I know they have to draw the line in the sand somewhere, but why not make it according to county and not state figures?  This would solve the issues in say Illinois or other states where the overall might be 5.1% but some cities are at double digits.  Very soon the government (fed, state and local) will be inundated with homeless people.  Please Congressperson – please help.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 11:55am

Jobless in Washington state here
    Back in Feb. I found this web site through washingtonwatch.com
    I just looked at it HR 5749 is on the home page. Let’s all write in there also, it hasn’t been getting a lot of activity. Now that we the people won’t be able to pay our taxes (Hand outs to the Republicans)maybe if we ever luck out and find a job or get back on our feet, we should just buy GARBAGE from a land fill it would be money better spent then shelling out any more cash to the republicans.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 12:00pm

I am just utterly stunned that Bush said he will immediately veto this bill.  What of the financial mess HE has gotten this country into?  Now if I give my children bad advise, and it turns out to their demise, I have been known to foot the bill – really.  It happens.  We all make mistake.  So step up to the plate Mr.President and realize what the war in Iraq is costing those of us back here at home who make this engine work.  Did anyone see the absurd numbers spent, and left to spend, on our Iraq embassey?  Dear Lord, help us now.  Bush has been given an open wallet, and he intends to spend it on another country.

• WashingtonGirl 04/18/2008 12:15pm

Wow, is Bush really that cruel and short-sighted that he would turn his back on unemployed Americans? Why is there such a disconnect with this character? He is a man without compassion, conscience or brains.

There has been more job layoff news today, and it ain’t pretty.

AT&T to cut some 4,600 in reshuffle
    Citigroup posts big loss, to cut 9,000 jobs

Today gas hit $3.75 in my part of Washington. My neighbors are talking about digging up their yards to plant food. I may have a potential job at $11 per hour (will know next week). That is less than half of what I made. I cannot pay for rent and food with that kind of salary. Washington State is an expensive place to live. LOL, we have refineries near us & the highest gas prices in the state—comparable to California.

This is worse than the Great Depression! Back then the country did have a leader in Franklin D. Roosevelt. He took action.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, elected in 1932, primarily blamed the excesses of big business for causing an unstable bubble-like economy. Democrats believed the problem was that business had too much power, and the New Deal was intended as a remedy, by empowering labor unions and farmers and by raising taxes on corporate profits. Regulation of the economy was a favorite remedy. Some New Deal regulation (the NRA and AAA) was declared unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court. Most New Deal regulations were abolished or scaled back in the 1970s and 1980s in a bipartisan wave of deregulation.21 However the Securities and Exchange Commission, Federal Reserve, and Social Security won widespread support.

Washington Girl

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 12:24pm

KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE?KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE? KING GEORGE?KING GEORGE?
    What are you doing today King George?
    watching your grapes get pealed?

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 12:28pm

Washington Girl – love your posts.  I realize that there is a lot behind the scenes that happens and we do not understand why certain actions are taken (or not).  I had no idea with Bush going into office that he was this bamboozeled with corporate America.  Look folks – stock have rallied again on the Google and Meryl Lynch news…tell me – does this make sense to you?  Meryl Lynch had a substantial loss, but it was lower than what the market thought, so now they are rejoicing?  Oil at this moment $117 – Citi laying off another 9,000 and AT&T at 4,000 – Soros predicting a commodity bubble – gold is dropping, and yet, the market is up?  This is what I think is happening, as what I think happened the last time gas prices soared….we American’s get desensitized to the issue.  So many of us believe there is nothing we can do about it anyways, so why not just put up with it.  The fact that Meryl wrote down 5.1 BILLION is something to rejoice about? What part of a 5.1 BILLION writedown did they miss? So it was a bit under forecast – whooppee. All these numbers are in the billions these days, and we are just getting used to those numbers. Wake up people – government – mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, friends…..

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 12:37pm

Thanks for the compliment Anonymous. What state do you live in? I agree. The stock market news baffles! A rally based on Google?! Hedge funders rule the market & corporate America is investing heavily in 3rd world future markets such as China and India. Screwing American workers. It means low wages overseas (no unions, no worker protections in place) and big, big profits for corporate heads.

Washington Girl

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 12:48pm

WA Girl – unemployed underwriter in Portland, OR – your neighbor.
    In response to “King George” post – I think you are on the right page, but check out Wikipedia’s French Revolution “causes”…it hits the nail on the head to where America is right now. History does repeat itself. Are the classics not required reading for those in authority over our lives?

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 1:20pm

Everyone here needs to check out lifeaftertheoilcrash.net if you want to know what is really going on. Look at the breaking news section but be warned you may not be able to get much sleep tonight. GOD HELP US.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 1:35pm

Somebody on here asked to post where the info came from that said bush has already stated he would veto any bill. I don’t doubt that he said that. But nobody has provided a link to read that info.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 1:44pm

Desperate Michigan here…. I have also moved over.. good idea… You all have been a huge support to me through this time. Thank You!!!

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 1:47pm

This may be where the veto info comes from http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2008/04/10/bush_vows_to_block_iraq_add_ons/ It seems the Democrats want to add the unemployment extension into the war funding bill.

Anonymous 04/18/2008 1:53pm

Tnank you!!! hhhmm, for being the Boston Globe, the beginning of the article was worded as if it were a right wing rag. Load up, jam funding through with the war funding. Just a observance. Kinda wierd. But anyway, thanks again.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 2:09pm

I do remember reading somewhere that the President said he would veto the first stimulus package if it included the unemployment extensions. Not about this new bill though.

Anonymous 04/18/2008 2:16pm

The article mentioned above is from April 10, 2008 and it does state that the jack ass said he would veto it.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 2:42pm

Something that is plaguing me…..When the unemployment numbers come out and they say “those not looking for work”…where do they come up with those figures?  My benefits have exhausted, and I am still looking for work.  Nobody has called me to ask if I am still looking for work.  Without looking for work, that means that someone is either on welfare, beng taken care of by someone else or homeless.  Does anyone know how they determine these numbers?

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 2:51pm

If you’re claim hasn’t expired (usually 1 year from original filing date) then you’re still counted as unemployed with an active claim. After that, yes, you would be out of the count and they have the audacity to say you’re not looking, or given up looking for work. It’s the most ludicrous thing I’ve ever heard. That’s why there’s been a lot of comments lately about the underemployed (part timers who want to work full time) and the #’ of people who have fallen out of the system. That’s also why there are different numbers for unemployed.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 3:10pm

(CNN) — John McCain made nearly $420,000 in taxable and non-taxable income in 2007, according to the Arizona senator’s tax returns just released by his presidential campaign.

McCain’s 2007 income includes his approximately $162,000 Senate salary, over $176,000 in book royalties, $23,000 in Social Security income, and over $58,000 from his Navy pension. (View McCain’s tax returns [PDF])

The filing does not include his wife Cindy’s much larger income — the two have long filed separate tax returns. An heiress to a beer distributing company, Cindy McCain is estimated to be worth approximately $100 million. But since those assets are in his wife’s name, McCain is unable to tap into them for his presidential bid.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 3:19pm

I guess the Republicans don’t believe this,http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/16/AR2008041603513.html. Can’t you see that there is no need for a unemployment extension?

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 3:32pm

Maybe McCain thinks that we are not looking hard enough for work and should stand on the side of the road with a sign saying WILL WORK FOR FOOD.

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 3:55pm

McCain takes social security? Yikes!
    FYI- “King George the first” was born in Milton, MA.
    Prince George? Yet to be determined!

• Anonymous 04/18/2008 4:28pm