H.R.5749 - Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008

To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (5)

• Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as reported to house.
  • Official: To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as passed house.

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 6:13pm

with that…anon trolls unite!

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 6:15pm

I THINK YOU MEAN IGNITE! LOL

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 6:31pm

There is an incredible film that sums up what has happened in this country: “The Assassination of Richard Nixon”. Sean Penn plays a mentally unhinged man who takes on a Black as a business partner so that anytime something goes wrong he can say that his business is failing because people are racist against Blacks. When the SBA refuses him a loan because his idea is not very sound he spews a bunch of nonsense about how his loan was rejected because his partner was Black. This sums up everything going wrong in Detroit. Kilpatrick pulls the old “people are racist against Blacks” hustle to hide his criminal activities. McCain gets red faced with anger because he hides behind the idea that people are racist against Mexicans when all they really want to do is stop the murders and job stealing that has destroyed so many thousands of American lives. Hillary, Obama, Bush, Reid all pull the “race hustle” to hide their failures. That is why this country melts down more each day…

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 6:53pm

All races of Americans need to join together to save this country.

We are facing the prospect of millions losing their homes, their jobs, their retirement savings, their health insurance, and their livelihoods.

This serious economic situation greatly raises the stakes of the 2008 election. What will the government do to help the victims of economic mismanagement, to provide health insurance, and to restart the economy? Is it really more important to spend billions each week on the occupation of Iraq?

So far the government hasn’t done much. The stimulus package now taking effect, at about one percent of GDP and much of it likely to be saved, is quite small. The major legislation that Congress is considering for the housing crisis would mainly bail out lenders and investors while doing little for most underwater homeowners.

The voice of the people has yet to be heard on these questions in the halls of power. It had better get a lot louder, soon.

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 6:53pm

Everyone, Keep your heads up. Times will get better. Lets hope this unemployment extension passes so we can feed our families.

Besides hoping we need to keep calling the House Reps day and night and let them know if they don’t pass this they will lose their jobs in November and join us in this broken economy!!!

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 7:45pm

keep calling the House Reps

My Reps in Ct, all voted for us 2 dem 1 Rep – Keep calling!!! We need the house votes veto proof

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 7:46pm

The house is off till Tuesday correct?

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 7:47pm

Who knows? They have it made-out more than there in

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 8:51pm

I have worked for many corporations. I have always believed in music. I started to play the violin in the second grade. From there I played the saxophone, trumpet and trombone. I graduated 1979. I remember in recent years there was a huge campaign about music. I remember in many companies I was the best producer and I had my earphones on, and management frowned upon this. That was fifteen years ago. All of a sudden management started to say music was good, for production. Republican management frowned on music. Doesn’t make a buck.- – Off the ignorant man. Hey I got a good one. - Look up song—- Gino Vanelli — Summers of my Life.

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 9:04pm

I stated the above, because I haven’t listened to music in about four months. I haven’t felt alive in four months. Did not want to do much of anything in the last four months. These days I am trying to find a reason. What did I actuallly accomplish in life.

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 10:01pm

I graduated in 1979. At 17. Have worked since I was 12. Have had taxes deducted since 1976. Have the social security records to prove it.

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 10:16pm

Man, I loved going to school, I loved learning, I loved sports. I loved reading, History. I held a record for not missing a day all year at school a couple of times. I have had teeth filled and showed up for P.E. to play baseball, basketball that same day.— Will the REPUBLICANS NOW CALL ME LAZY AND A LOSER??

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 10:25pm

So tell me, How do you serve your country?? From the beginning. How do you become useful to your country. How can one serve. Since the age of twelve. How to contribute. Since the age of twelve. How to turn a blind eye since the age of twelve. There are the Rich. HOW??

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 10:34pm

My first job was for a counsilman who eventually became mayor.

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 10:46pm

During the summer I asked the Counselman for a job at his corner store in the year of 1974, I stocked his refreigerators, which were icy cold with cold bottles of all drinks and milk and ice cream and dairy products. Back then they used alot of cartons- paper for milk- half gallons and quarts. Glass also. I would also sweep the store. I was able to buy my own clothes since then.

• Anonymous 05/30/2008 11:15pm

The hardest part of that job was breaking down the boxes which the goods came in. At the age of 12, I broke down all manner of boxes

• Anonymous 05/31/2008 1:45am

I got a solution to all the cry babies on this site that control every blog, get a job ……..

• Anonymous 05/31/2008 3:07am

for those that come here saying get a job – you are nothing more than a worthless air breathing piece of shit even the flys wouldn’t land on and a true dumb ass!

• gramps779g 05/31/2008 3:33am

Why don’t you allot some time to learn to spell, learn correct usage of words, eg. their, there, they’re and basic sentence structure. I can just see the rejected resumes based on the unacceptable grammatical and spelling errors.
    I don’t mean to sound uncaring but as one who has discarded many resumes, this is important. We learned this in school but it got lost along the way for some.

• Anonymous 05/31/2008 6:45am

The problem today, lies in the fact that the American public is so polarized in our beliefs and methodology. As a nation, have forgotten what made us great, the strength of a great diversity and the ability of everyone to be heard with the overall goal to effectively communicate and achieve a logical consensus.

DIVIDED WE WILL FALL!!!

• Anonymous 05/31/2008 7:20am

Heard on the news last night that Ford Motor company is taking its manufacturing of the Fiesta over to Mexico after they had shut down numerous plants here in the United States. And people wonder why the job market is so competitive. I was laid off in Mar 2007 and since then have almost completed my Masters in Accounting so I would not hopefully be in this situation. But you cannot collect unemployment attending school full time so I went part time. I live in a rural community and drive 90 miles to school due to family obligations. My unemployment ran out in Nov of 2007 so I attended school full time and now its summer break…still no job…and I am praying for unemployment extension to pass immediately. I have worked my ass off to advance in my education since I have been laid off and only need a little help to get by until I can find a job or get back to school. I just hope they see we are not all lazy and really do need help fast.

• Anonymous 05/31/2008 8:20am

SAX players rule!!!!!!!!!!!

• brandy148 05/31/2008 9:54am

From drhousingbubble.com :

May 30th, 2008

The Sham of our Current Unemployment Rate Numbers: Lessons from the Great Depression: Part X. Data Mining.

When you look at the current unemployment rate of 5 percent, you would think that our economy would be humming along. Yet the way that they calculate the official unemployment rate is such a joke, you are almost left guessing how many people are really out of work. Are you looking for work and simply can’t find a job and gave up? Consider yourself not counted in the numbers. Are you working part-time although you want full-time employment? Guess what? You are not counted either! It is patently absurd and frustrating to see what kind of gimmicks the government uses to massage the unemployment data.

Mish over at Global Economic Trend analysis on a monthly basis has to dig into the data to point out the stupidity of the unemployment numbers:

It is such an utter disturbance that people are quoting 5 percent as the unemployment rate when 9.2 percent of our population is either underemployed, working part-time, or flat out given up and not working. Also, what about all the people in finance, construction, lending, or any fields associated to the credit bubble that are now receiving a lot less simply because they are commissioned based or depend on their being easy credit? These people are still hanging on by a thread with a massively reduced income yet they are still counted as fully employed. That is the issue with our current unemployment rate. So if our current rate is closer to 10 percent, wouldn’t that change the perception of our current economy?

• Anonymous 05/31/2008 1:15pm

Ok who Farted??

• CaliDeb 05/31/2008 2:28pm

It wasn’t me.

• UEinRI 05/31/2008 2:46pm

Man it seems like it has been a month waiting for Tuesday to come.

• Anonymous 05/31/2008 3:06pm

I spent a long weekend in RI one night.

• Anonymous 05/31/2008 3:16pm

Democratic Party officials agreed Saturday to seat Michigan and Florida delegates with half-votes, ruling on a long-running dispute that has threatened the party’s chances in November and maintaining Barack Obama’s front-runner status as he moves closer to the nomination.

The decision was a blow to Hillary Rodham Clinton as she was on the verge of watching Obama make history as the first black Democratic presidential nominee. It prompted an irate reaction from boisterous Clinton supporters in the audience and her chief delegate counter, Harold Ickes.

Ickes angrily informed the party’s Rules Committee that Clinton had instructed him to reserve her right to appeal the matter to the Democrats’ credentials committee, which could potentially drag the matter to the party’s convention in August.

“There’s been a lot of talk about party unity — let’s all come together, and put our arms around each other,” said Ickes, who is also a member of the Rules Committee that approved the deal. “I submit to you ladies and gentlemen, hijacking four delegates … is not a good way to start down the path of party unity.”

The resolution increased the number of delegates needed to clinch the nomination to 2,118, leaving Obama 66 delegates short but still within striking distance after the three final primaries are held in the next three days.

The deal was reached after committee members met privately for more than three hours, trying to hammer out a deal, and announced in a raucous hearing that reflected deep divisions within the party.

“How can you call yourselves Democrats if you don’t count the vote?” one male troll in the audience shouted before being escorted out by security. “This is not the Democratic Party!”

The sticking point was Michigan, where Obama’s name was not on the ballot.

Clinton’s camp insisted Obama shouldn’t get any pledged delegates in Michigan since he chose not to put his name on the ballot, and she should get 73 pledged delegates with 55 uncommitted. Obama’s team insisted the only fair solution was to split the pledged delegates in half between the two campaigns, with 64 each.

The committee agreed on a compromise offered by the Michigan Democratic Party that would split the difference, allowing Clinton to take 69 delegates and Obama 59. Each delegate would get half a vote at the convention in Denver this summer, according to the deal.

The deal passed 19-8. Thirteen members of the committee supported Clinton, so she wasn’t even able to keep her supporters together.

The committee also unanimously agreed to seat the Florida delegation based on the outcome of the January primary, with 105 pledged delegates for Clinton and 67 for Obama, but with each delegate getting half a vote as a penalty.

Proponents of full seating continuously interrupted the committee members as they explained their support of the compromise, then supporters of the deal shouted back.

“Shut up!” one female troll shouted at another.

“You shut up!” the second female troll shouted back.

Jim Roosevelt, co-chair of the committee, tried repeatedly to gavel it to order. “You are dishonoring your candidate when you disrupt the speakers,” he scolded.

Obama picked up a total of 32 delegates in Michigan, including superdelegates who have already committed, and 36 in Florida. Clinton picked up 38 in Michigan, including superdelegates, and 56.5 in Florida.

Obama’s total increased to 2,052, and Clinton had 1,877.5.

A proposal favored by Clinton that would have fully seated the Florida delegation fully in accordance with the January primary went down with 12 votes in support and 15 against.

Tina Flournoy, who led Clinton’s efforts to seat both states’ delegations with full voting power, said she was disappointed by the outcome but knew the Clinton position had “no chance” of passing the committee.

“I understand the rules. … I can tell you one thing that has driven these rules was being a party of inclusion,” Flournoy said. “I wish my colleagues will vote differently.”

Alice Huffman, a Clinton supporter on the committee, explained that the compromise giving delegates half votes was the next best thing to full seating.

“We will leave here more united than we came,” she said.

Some audience members heckled her in response. “Lipstick on a pig!” one troll shouted.

“We just blew the election!” a female troll in the audience shouted. The crowd was divided between cheering Obama supporters and booing Clinton supporters.

“This isn’t unity! Count all the votes!” another troll yelled.

• Anonymous 05/31/2008 4:03pm

One solution-Clinton/Obama ticket in November. who cares who is the President elect? Congress runs the country?

• Anonymous 05/31/2008 4:05pm

we need one party to run the show

DIVIDED WE FAIL