H.R.5749 - Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008

To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (5)

• Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as reported to house.
  • Official: To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as passed house.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 3:56am

“You’d Better think twice about voting for this MORON!!!”

Naw, you are the moron…you have no cred.

I’m fired up and ready to go for OBAMA 08. No more McWar, no more Clinton dramarama!

Ignorance is NOT bliss, get your facts straight. There is no place for the hatemongering you dwell in. Open your narrow mind.

Peace.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 4:12am

If President Bush passes the Unemployment Extension I will vote Republican in November.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 4:16am

DURHAM, N.C. – Sen. Edward M. Kennedy was set to undergo surgery Monday at Duke University Medical Center for his cancerous brain tumor and then faces chemotherapy and radiation treatment, his office said.

The 76-year-old senator was diagnosed last month with a malignant glioma, an especially lethal type of brain tumor. A statement from the Massachusetts Democrat’s office said the surgery would take place on Monday morning in Durham, N.C., by one of the nation’s top neurosurgeons, Dr. Allan Friedman, followed by chemotherapy and radiation.

Anthony Coley, a Kennedy spokesman, said the surgery is scheduled to begin around 9 a.m. and expected to last about six hours. He expects to remain at the North Carolina facility for one week to recuperate and then will begin further treatments at Massachusetts General Hospital and start chemotherapy.

“I am deeply grateful to the people of Massachusetts and to my friends, colleagues and so many others across the country and around the world who have expressed their support and good wishes as I tackle this new and unexpected health challenge,” Kennedy said in the statement. “I am humbled by the outpouring and am strengthened by your prayers and kindness.”

Kennedy said that over the past few days he and his wife, Vicki, “along with my outstanding team of doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital, have consulted with experts from around the country and have decided that the best course of action for my brain tumor is targeted surgery followed by chemotherapy and radiation.”

Kennedy said he selected a team of neuro-oncologists from Boston’s Massachusetts General Hospital and Duke University Medical Center.

The hospital at Duke is next on the north side of the campus of the elite private college in Durham, about 30 minutes west of the state capital in Raleigh. Aside from several television trucks parked outside, there was little sign that a notable patient was inside.

Friedman is “one of the thought leaders” and a giant in the field of neuro-oncology, said Dr. Otis Brawley, chief medical officer of the American Cancer Society, speaking from Chicago, where more than 30,000 cancer specialists are attending an American Society of Clinical Oncology conference.

Friedman is chief of the division of neurosurgery in the surgical department at Duke and also co-director of the neuro-oncology department there. His clinical interests are brain tumors, skull-based tumors, peripheral nerve surgery, pituitary tumors and cerebrovascular disaster, according to his resume on the medical center’s Web site.

After his treatment, Kennedy said, “I look forward to returning to the United States Senate and to doing everything I can to help elect Barack Obama as our next president.” Kennedy has endorsed Obama, the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Kennedy was hospitalized May 17 at Massachusetts General Hospital after undergoing a seizure at his home on Cape Cod. Doctors later announced that he had a malignant glioma in his left parietal lobe, a brain region that governs sensation but also plays some role in movement and language. A malignant glioma is the worst kind of brain cancer.

Malignant gliomas are diagnosed in about 9,000 Americans a year. In general, half of all patients die within a year. The brain tumor research center at Duke is conducting several clinical trials in malignant glioma.

Kennedy likely will receive the chemotherapy drug Temodar during and after radiation, said Brawley. The pivotal study showing the drug’s value for brain tumors was presented three years ago at the clinical oncology conference. Kennedy also may be treated with Avastin, a newer targeted drug to deprive the tumor of its blood supply, though this is still experimental at this stage of treatment.

When operating, “the surgeon usually does as much as possible within the bounds of safety. We do not want to do neurological damage in an effort to remove as much of the tumor as possible,” said Dr. Mark Gilbert, a brain tumor expert at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

Typical radiation treatment is five days a week for a month, using 3-D imaging techniques that narrowly deliver the beams to the tumor, affecting as little surrounding tissue as possible.

Kennedy has a history of seeking top medical care available for his family. He pulled daughter Kara out of Johns Hopkins and brought her to a Boston hospital when he was not satisfied with the initial course of treatment she was getting for lung cancer five years ago.

In addition to his congressional health insurance plan, which is often described as one of the most generous in the country, Kennedy’s wealth gives him the means to afford the best possible health care. The senator is known to reach into his own pocket and pay supplemental salary to staffers who otherwise might be tempted to leave his office for better paying jobs.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 4:17am

GOD BLESS TK!!!!!!

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 4:25am

Godspeed with your recovery Senator Kennedy!

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 4:32am

Anyone who votes for McWar, votes for 4 more years of desperation and misery. Taxpayer dollars will continue to pour into Iraq while we suffer at home! Get real. If The Chimp-in-Chief does not veto the bill, it is only s stop-gap measure to allow someone of us to hang in for another few weeks. If the economy does not improve, we will be in the same situation once our final bene’s are exhausted.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 4:44am

We want the racist muslim in office, if we can’t beat them we’ll put one in office! He has quit his own church because he doesn’t want the country to know who he really is, a vote for Obama will get McCain elected , you’ll see. he would rather hug on the Racist muslim dictator in Iraq than meet with the general and our troops, thats the real Obama

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 4:45am

IRAN

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 4:58am

To the nasty commenter calling our president a chimp etc, why don’t you help the ecomnomy and put down the weed and booze and go get a job useless,,..

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 5:04am

When it comes down to the November elections and I’m in the voting booth, who would I rather vote for, the guy that sat in a church for 20 years listening to a preacher scream “not god bless America, But god Dam America” or the war hero that spent 5 extra years in a prison camp because he didn’t want to leave his comrads,?? Come on now we know how the real America will end up voting…

Anonymous 06/02/2008 7:33pm

Don’t believe the Cain fairy tale.
    He has more toxic baggage than a 747.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 5:23am

I have a question. When (being positive) the Extension is approved and I receive the 13 additional weeks and should that end AFTER my one time / one year allowance of being able to collect, would I be able to collect again in a new benefit year if I was still unemployed?

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 5:27am

Obama purposely will not wear an American Flag on his chest and will not recite or sing our national anthem the Star Spangled Banner at public events.??????

I have a major problem with this elusive behavior!!!

I don’t trust as far as I can throw em’!!!!

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 5:28am

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 5:33am

Or will it show that I have no earnings for benefits?

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 5:36am

I agree with the above. Is it true, Obama will not salute the flag?

I think the Democrats are making a mistake. I keep hearing if Obama is running, people are not going to vote at all. They don"t want a Republican and can not vote of Obama

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 5:37am

I’m supposed to start a low paying job in a few weeks. The only offer I’ve had in nine months. As much as I want a job, this is my least favorite choice due to pay. I will be earning the same amount I did when I went back to work 8 years ago. I would like to see what happens with the extension first. Once you start working it is very hard to seek better employment and be available for interviews.
    Would you take the job or try to do better?

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 5:41am

ok, i took the week off from trying to keep track of where we all stand since Congress was on vacation for the week. anyone have any info when the House will be discussing/voting? what EXACTLY needs to be looked at and voted on in the bill? the latest unemployment numbers? the numbers should have come out at 10 this morning i would imagine

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 5:58am

I live in chicago, Obama has done some good things for my state. I am a catholic…My priest who married me, advised me, baptised my kids, was found to have molested boys!!Does that mean because he was my priest I take part in that activity? America should wake up it’s time for change!!!!
    white, female, 39, unemployed in chicago.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 6:13am

He sometimes wears it..when it is olitically expedient, perhaps.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 6:15am

politically, sorry

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 7:21am

he is wearing the flag Pin now, he has stated he may go to Iraq and meet with the general and the troops this summer, he is doing this for votes, he only decided this after mccain mentioned Obama would rather go make nicey with the Dictator in Iran than go to Iraq. This man has Muslim ties how else can he raise billions of dollars for his campaign?

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 7:23am

Trinity church is racist . Why do you think Oprah left? That Cathlic priest was nuts too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 7:28am

If there is an extension and you get 13 more weeks , that will be it, Then it will be time to get a real job. You can’t go back and get another extension , this one expires in March of 2009.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 7:45am

Well, after over 10,000 postings do we have any more we can do on here? What part of EMERGENCY doesn’t the law makers understand? This is only a perfect example of the go no where politics in D.C.. It’s so obvious it’s all about THERE AGENDAS. And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 7:58am

“There” agendas?

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 8:11am

The place of greed, and self interest. Toward the place they line up for themselves to receive all of the huge monetary perks for keeping big corporations’ best interests as priority.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 8:23am

Oh, you mean “their” agenda. How many resumes have been sent full of misused words, misspelled words and grammtical error?. These resumes are cast aside more often than not.

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 8:25am

There I go critiquing and then making a mistake.. Mine is a typo though.( grammatical)

• Anonymous 06/02/2008 8:29am
    I really am trying to stress the importance of having a well done, correctly written resume, not just finding fault.

I rejected so many in the past if the position required any written work.