H.R.5749 - Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008

To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (5)

• Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as reported to house.
  • Official: To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as passed house.

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 5:55pm

its funny…. but we all respect everyone here

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 5:55pm

Late craze in sacramento- You seem to be a poet. You have a way with words – Anonymous mindblogger, I bet you must argue with yourself and lose.

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 5:57pm

YUP I think I have this one pegged

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 5:57pm

ok its time to dim the lights, and let the lesbian posters have a gogo!

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 5:58pm

Does anyone know if this bill is on the schedule for Thursday or Friday?

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 5:58pm

I know what member is camaflauged as a anon troll

• outoftime 06/04/2008 5:59pm

I don’t think red dragon ever left. I have been here long enough to recognize his posts if it was logged in or not.

• CaliDeb 06/04/2008 6:00pm

To the best of my knowledge it’s not on the schedule yet. Last I heard was that the House may take it up this week or next.

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:00pm

Me too

• CaliDeb 06/04/2008 6:01pm

I agree with you outoftime. I recognize things also. I’ve been here since s2544 in late January!

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:04pm

UEinRI

• outoftime 06/04/2008 6:04pm

I didn’t get here until the very start of 5749 when I found out my job wasn’t calling me back from layoff this spring.

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:04pm

you got it

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:04pm

This site is full of really useful information. I just wish we could stay on track and use it to plan strategy without the unnessary and irrelevant postings. We have a job to do let’s stay focused! UE in NJ

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:05pm

Deb I agree lets hammer out some details

• CaliDeb 06/04/2008 6:08pm

The strategy for today was to call and email or fax your congressman/woman. To that extent most of us have accomplished all that we can do for tonight. What remains to be done this evening is to keep alert for any media indication of what may occur in congress in the upcoming days. Thanks for reminding us to stay on task.

• outoftime 06/04/2008 6:12pm

Deb, what do you think about trying to use the info that DonnyShaw gave us earlier?

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:12pm

You’re welcome CaliDeb and thanks for always responding to my questions in such a timely and considerate way. I appreciate all your expertise. It seems a shame that someone like you is still unemployed! Have a good night all!

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:14pm

They are now supposedly concerned with the GI Bill. The Republicans now seem for it. They want to add to it. They are saying Bush might just take a look at it now. The question now is how will they fund it.?

• outoftime 06/04/2008 6:25pm

How can they say we don’t need an extension when the benefits to the economy would be huge.

The extension is crucial during the current economic downturn, both for the long-term jobless and for the economy.

• Currently, more than 1 million workers have exhausted their 26 weeks of regular UI benefits and remain unemployed. By next year, that number is likely to grow by an additional 3 million. Thus, the extension would help ease an enormous strain for more than 4 million jobless workers and their families who are most hurt by the economic downturn.1
    • Unemployment Insurance is excellent economic stimulus. The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that, once up and running, a national UI extension would put more than $1 billion per month in the hands of jobless workers and their families. Furthermore, Mark Zandi of Economy.com estimates that every dollar spent on unemployment insurance boosts the economy by $1.73.2 UI stimulus is effective because the long-term unemployed, who are likely to have depleted their savings, tend to quickly spend every dollar they receive on necessities. Thus, extending UI benefits will give the sagging economy a more than $1.7 billion boost per month.

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:30pm

vote each and every blue dog bastard out, the no good bums .why can`t they sit back ,collect a nice check , enjoy their nice vacations ,and stop breaking balls . i hate them all .

• CaliDeb 06/04/2008 6:32pm

Well, what I found interesting was an article I read earlier today that stated the latest protest from Bush/White House against the current Senate version of this bill did not reference the unemployment extensions. They did make reference to some other domestic items but left out any protest against the unemployment. Generally the White House is very precise and careful with the words they use. I took this as a hint that possibly this was their strategic way of notifying congress that they are willing to relent on the extensions. i could be wrong though.

Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:39pm

I read it the same way.

• CaliDeb 06/04/2008 6:36pm

I missed the Donnyshaw post. Let me go look for it.

• CaliDeb 06/04/2008 6:41pm

outoftime..regarding the donnyshaw post, I’ve seen numerous articles postulating that same analysis of the economic stimulus of unemployment benefits. I’m sure congress is well aware of this same analysis yet it certainly wouldn’t hurt to include a reminder of these points when contacting congress.

• outoftime 06/04/2008 6:52pm

It seems to me if we try to push the point of the economic benefits of the extension it may make Congress people think more that it is really worth voting for.

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:53pm

this is all about the price of oil. if americans are broke they will cut back on fuel. which will bring down the price oil. on till oil comes back down the will not help no one. my some other country.

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:54pm

this is all about the price of oil. if americans are broke they will cut back on fuel. which will bring down the price oil. on till oil comes back down the will not help no one. maybe some other country.

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:55pm

RED WINGS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!

• Anonymous 06/04/2008 6:58pm

they are willing to hurt the economy to get oil under control.