H.R.5749 - Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008

To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (5)

• Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as reported to house.
  • Official: To provide for a program of emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Extended Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 as passed house.

flexy633 05/23/2008 10:57am

Well, guys, I got a job offer today! I start on June 9. It isn’t the greatest pay (about $5,000 less than I was making before), but it is much better than nothing. My unemployment was going to run out the middle of June, so I’m glad I got this offer.

We will get this bill passed, and even though I found a job, I plan to keep fighting for us!

Anonymous 05/23/2008 11:05am

Brandy148,

You should report the employee at the u/e office who spoke to you in that manner. That is totally out of line and unprofessional. He/she knows as much as you or I about the extension. When the bill passes it passes, the state workers have no inside track on the results. Especially at that level.

Pay no mind.

Anonymous 05/22/2008 6:15am

SEN. BYRD… OUR BIGGEST SUPPORTER! I LOVE THIS GUY!!!!

CaliDeb 05/23/2008 12:01pm

Here’s the part of the bill that states the effective date:

APPLICABILITY
20 SEC. 5007. (a) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in
21 subsection (b), an agreement entered into under this title
22 shall apply to weeks of unemployment—
23 (1) beginning after the date on which such agree24
ment is entered into; and
25 (2) ending on or before March 31, 2009.

CaliDeb 05/24/2008 9:03am

effaiciously…hmmm…before you come on this comment forum with your elitist attitude you might want to spend a little of YOUR time studying the english language. While you’re at it, you might want to look up in the dictionary the word INSURANCE as in Unemployment insurance. The people on this board are highly educated. If you can’t keep up with us then I suggest you refrain from contributing anymore elementary commentary.

Anonymous 05/24/2008 8:06pm

I’m going to email Donny Shaw, one of the writers for the website and ask him to identify the troll’s IP address. Those long posts were ridiculous and a waste of website space. Every entry made by troll shows an IP address. Troll is also switching tactics and posting as if an anonymous supporter of the unemployment extension. I’ve watched the antics of the sick poster for months. My situation, like others here, is very serious. I don’t like the troll’s mockery racism, and bigotry. It’s time for it all to end.

Anonymous 06/05/2008 10:57am

What is JEC Ill?

Anonymous 05/25/2008 7:47pm

Again, lets try to enjoy this weekend the best that we can. The battle over the bill is a ways off for now. Thinking positive/good/light is what we need to do.

Happy Memorial day everyone.

Anonymous 05/25/2008 6:01pm

This could take until July

Good Point, thats what I heard, now White House is saying they have enough funds until July? But don’t forget the pentagon would have to lay off some people by JUNE 15- Another thing to keep in Mind President Bush is going on a summit on June 6th-10th (Pope visitalso) So expect the House to work on a bill together so Bush can sign. Hopefully, Our U/E Extension will still be part of it?
My fear is the numbers for May will be out & you know how the labor board “Finagels” the numbers? So it still can be a rollercoaster as usual.

Anonymous 05/25/2008 6:41pm

Come on. What the hell do you think those huge posts accomplish? NOTHING

CaliDeb 05/25/2008 4:28pm

Hi RI…it seems this juvenile is also a stalker. I’m in the Sacramento area.

Anonymous 05/27/2008 8:04pm

Without a little worry – you may become complacent

Anonymous 06/08/2008 5:44pm

members sign off and return to the site as a non member to cause problems and make rude remarks just like that comment above

Moderated Comment

Anonymous 06/05/2008 5:57am

Calm down, it’s the same newspaper reporting this, isn’t that odd? the washington post doesn’t know if we don’t ,who’s leaking the information? Nobody!!! just scare tactics at our expense, they think, I believe this is BS like last time. Scroll back a month or so You’ll see.

Anonymous 06/05/2008 7:18am

Here is the contact information for msnbc.for anyone who wants to start hitting up the cable news channels viewerservices@msnbc.com
2. letters@msnbc.com
3. countdown@msnbc.com
4. KOlbermann@msnbc.com
5. dabrams@msnbc.com (Dan Abrams is now MSNBC’s general manager)"

Anonymous 05/15/2008 5:39pm

Tehran, Iran
Tehran is the capital of Iran
Current Time Friday, May 16, 2008 at 7:07:09 AM

Hmmmm………

Anonymous 05/15/2008 5:29pm
in reply to Anonymous May 15, 2008 5:27pm

Ya, his lack of knowledge and his temper!!! Just wait for the one on one debates! No self control, whatsoever.

Anonymous 05/15/2008 11:11pm

I guess it’s just something for him to do. I am really disappointed when I come to this site and find all kinds of distasteful comments and links to information I am not interested in. I really wish we could stay focused on what most agree to come here to support.

Anonymous 05/21/2008 3:36am

I live in Michigan and have been looking for work since July, 2007. My unemployment ran out in April 2008. I don’t even have money for the high gas prices to look for a job. I am on the verge of losing everything. Please pass this bill as soon as possible.

CaliDeb 06/08/2008 8:53am

This is outrageous “The department will have to close down a vital program that is getting potential insurgents off the streets and into jobs.” How about a little help at home to get the unemployed off the streets and into jobs?

Anonymous 04/24/2008 8:46am

I think the admin. which is The Sunlight Foundation [good people] are aware. The whole site has had many problems such as servers going down

outoftime 06/04/2008 3:03pm

Information from that report would be good to use in emails and phone calls because it shows the benefit of an extension for the whole country, not just us unemployed.

reddragon 04/19/2008 7:15pm

I know one thing, even Wal-Mart isnt hiring right now! Good people who have no job through no fault of their own cant afford to pay their utilities, buy gas, or even put food on the table!!! It is absolutely insane that we have to beg for passage of this bill! PASS THE GODDAMNED BILL!!!! We have had it up to here with these political games! WE NEED HELP NOW!!!! Not next month. NOW!!!

Anonymous 04/20/2008 3:20am

President Bush could not stop outsoucing that has been going on since 1997 and Our dollar is shrinking in value thats why the oil prices are sky rocketing, oil is priced in dollar value, to bad huh? Even our repairs on our air planes repairs are out sourced, 4,500.00 a year..

MBArry47 04/20/2008 6:28am

Is there any news of when this will come up for a vote again?

Anonymous 05/16/2008 9:58pm

Where do we stand with the Extensions , anyone have a serious answer. Are we looking at a Target bill again?

dwightfrye 06/06/2008 12:35pm

like i said thought. wishful thinking. that would almost be like asking Congress to actually put in a full week of work

Anonymous 04/16/2008 2:14pm

All of the unemployed need this bill to pass as quickly as is possible and to bring it to the attention of the American public! This is as important as the tax rebates!

Patriots 04/20/2008 4:41am

I used most of my savings just to get through the winter because unemployment wasn’t enough to live on. What little is left wont last long.