The easiest way to email your members of CongressDonate Now
H.R.6633 - Employee Verification Amendment Act of 2008
To evaluate and extend the basic pilot program for employment eligibility confirmation and to ensure the protection of Social Security beneficiaries.
|Version||Word Count||Changes From Previous Version||Percent Change|
|Introduced in House||1,288||n/a||n/a|
|Engrossed in House||1,209||3||12%|
|Referred in Senate||1,200||5 Show Changes Hide Changes||4%|
Key: changed or removed text inserted or modified text
Loading Bill Text
Rollover any line of text to comment and/or link to it.
August 1, 2008CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
SEC. 2. EXTENSION OF PROGRAMS.
Section 401(b) of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (
SEC. 3. PROTECTION OF SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION PROGRAMS.
(a) Funding Under Agreement- Effective for fiscal years beginning on or after October 1, 2008, the Commissioner of Social Security and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall enter into and maintain an agreement which shall--CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(1) provide funds to the Commissioner for the full costs of the responsibilities of the Commissioner under section 404 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (
(A) acquiring, installing, and maintaining technological equipment and systems necessary for the fulfillment of the responsibilities of the Commissioner under such section 404, but only that portion of such costs that are attributable exclusively to such responsibilities; andCommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(2) provide such funds quarterly in advance of the applicable quarter based on estimating methodology agreed to by the Commissioner and the Secretary (except in such instances where the delayed enactment of an annual appropriation may preclude such quarterly payments); andCommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(3) require an annual accounting and reconciliation of the actual costs incurred and the funds provided under the agreement, which shall be reviewed by the Office of Inspector General of the Social Security Administration and the Department of Homeland Security.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(b) Continuation of Employment Verification in Absence of Timely Agreement- In any case in which the agreement required under subsection (a) for any fiscal year beginning on or after October 1, 2008, has not been reached as of October 1 of such fiscal year, the latest agreement between the Commissioner and the Secretary of Homeland Security providing for funding to cover the costs of the responsibilities of the Commissioner under section 404 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (
SEC. 4. GAO STUDY OF BASIC PILOT CONFIRMATION SYSTEM.
(a) In General- As soon as practicable after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Comptroller General of the United States shall conduct a study regarding erroneous tentative nonconfirmations under the basic pilot confirmation system established under section 404(a) of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (
(c) Report- Not later than 2 years after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Comptroller General shall submit the results of the study required under subsection (a) to the Committee on Ways and Means and the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Finance and the Committee on the Judiciary of the Senate.CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
SEC. 5. GAO STUDY OF EFFECTS OF BASIC PILOT PROGRAM ON SMALL ENTITIES.
(a) In General- Not later than 2 years after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Comptroller General of the United States shall submit to the Committees on the Judiciary of the United States House of Representatives and the Senate a report containing the Comptroller General’s analysis of the effects of the basic pilot program described in section 403(a) of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (
(4) factors that impact small entities’ enrollment and participation in such program, including access to appropriate technology, geography, entity size, and class of entity; andCommentsClose CommentsPermalink
(b) Direct and Indirect Effects- The report shall cover, and treat separately, direct effects (such as wages, time, and fees spent on compliance) and indirect effects (such as the effect on cash flow, sales, and competitiveness).CommentsClose CommentsPermalink
Vote on This Bill
OC Blog Articles Related To This Bill
- Videos from Personal Democracy Forum Conference 2012 Jun 13, 2012
- Will Government Employees Publicly Oppose #FreeTHOMAS? Jun 05, 2012
- Yes, let's stride towards an open VCS for legislation (or, GitHub for laws on OC) May 23, 2012
- With SOPA Shelved, Congress Readies its Next Attack on the Internet Feb 13, 2012
- Anti-Web Censorship Bill Protest from Our Perspective at OC Feb 08, 2012