H.R.670 - Dependence Reduction through Innovation in Vehicles and Energy Act
To promote the national security and stability of the United States economy by reducing the dependence of the United States on foreign oil through the use of alternative fuels and new vehicle technologies, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)
All Bill Titles
- Short: Dependence Reduction through Innovation in Vehicles and Energy Act as introduced.
- Short: DRIVE Act as introduced.
- Official: To promote the national security and stability of the United States economy by reducing the dependence of the United States on foreign oil through the use of alternative fuels and new vehicle technologies, and for other purposes. as introduced.
- Today: 2
- Past Seven Days: 4
- All-Time: 6,644
Official Summary1/24/2007--Introduced.Dependence Reduction through Innovation in Vehicles and Energy Act or DRIVE Act - Directs the Director of the Office of Management and Budget to publish in the Federal Register an oil savings target and action plan for specified calendar years. Directs the Secretary o
Dependence Reduction through Innovation in Vehicles and Energy Act or DRIVE Act - Directs the Director of the Office of Management and Budget to publish in the Federal Register an oil savings target and action plan for specified calendar years. Directs the Secretary of Energy to conduct a national media campaign to decrease oil consumption in the United States over the next decade. Directs the Secretary of Transportation to develop:
(1) a fuel efficiency program for passenger car and light truck tires;
(2) a program to designate Transit-Oriented Development Corridors; and
(3) pilot projects to save oil by reducing vehicle miles traveled. Directs the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency to:
(1) develop a testing and assessment program to determine the fuel economy of heavy duty vehicles;
(2) establish a near-term electric transportation deployment program; and
(3) implement a fuel and technology neutral program to reduce tailpipe emissions. Directs the Secretary of Transportation to prescribe average heavy duty vehicle fuel economy standards. Amends the Energy Policy Act of 2005 to direct the Secretary of Energy to make loan guarantees for eligible projects to improve hybrid technologies or to encourage production of efficient hybrid and advanced diesel vehicles. Requires a specified graduated percentage of passenger cars manufactured by light-duty motor vehicles manufacturers to be fuel choice enabling motor vehicles or alternative fuel automobiles. Amends the Internal Revenue Code to:
(1) allow an advanced technology motor vehicles manufacturing tax credit;
(2) allow a flexible fuel vehicle tax credit;
(3) extend the alternative vehicle tax credit for new qualified hybrid motor vehicles;
(4) allow a fuel-efficient tax credit for private fleets;
(5) subject heavy vehicles to the depreciation limitation for certain luxury automobiles;
(6) increase the alternative fuel vehicle refueling property tax credit;
(7) provide a graduated tax credit for plug-in hybrid electric passenger and light truck vehicles; and
(8) allow an idling reduction tax credit for heavy-duty diesel-powered on-highway vehicles. Establishes the Alternative Fueling Infrastructure Trust Fund. Authorizes the Secretary of Energy to obligate sums from the Fund for the Clean Cities grant program to increase the availability to consumers of ethanol, biodiesel, and other alternative fuels. Amends the Clean Air Act to prescribe minimum annual quantities of renewable fuel from cellulosic biomass. Directs the Secretary of Energy to:
(1) require at least a 20% reduction in the federal fleets' petroleum consumption (including that at least 30% of federal vehicles required to be alternative fuel vehicles be flexible fuel hybrid or flexible fuel plug-in hybrid vehicles);
(2) submit to Congress an action plan calling for a specified graduated percentage of the nation's ground fuel demand to be supplied by fuels derived from sources other than oil; and
(3) carry out a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle prize program.
...Read the Rest