H.R.6867 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008

To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (6)

• Official: To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as enacted.

• bl5 07/31/2009 8:54am

Gee whiz, forget about the long term unemployed…people need cash for clunkers. An additional 2 billion has been approved for the program:

WASHINGTON – The House has voted to rush an additional $2 billion into the popular but financially strapped “cash for clunkers” car purchase program.

dispaced2007 07/31/2009 9:03am

There always seems to be something that crops up that they race to take care of while they back burner the long term unemployment situation.

Selling cars is supposed to stimulate the economy and keep the car manufactures a float, but the ripple effect will materialize into jobs for us before UI extensions run out.

• need2know 07/31/2009 9:20am

So, in retrospect, the “cash for clunkers” program is overriding long-term unemployment issues, and all of us who are over 50, continuing to be denied job offers, are having to try managing without unemployment provision.

• bl5 07/31/2009 9:21am

I am a nervous wreck. The last position I had was through a staffing agency. Since being laid off, I have been able to get work here and there this past year through this staffing agency. Well, I have an appointment Monday that may lead to a 3 month position through that agency. When I called the agency today for an update, they stated that they have tried calling several times and were not able to contact me. This is how I found out that my answering machine went kaput. When I figured out why I didn’t know they had called when I was out and about looking into work leads and I let them know. They just told me that they will update me when I come in on Monday to update my information. The funny thing is, and I let them know, the last time I worked was through them and I haven’t found employment since.

• bl5 07/31/2009 9:21am

They said I still have to come in a fill out the paperwork all over again and bring in 2 forms of ID…They then let me know that I need to answer their calls because I am on their UC list and must accept positions offered to me. Up until now, there has only been a 3 day stint and a one day stint both positions filled with people other than myself. I didn’t get back to them in enough time. I don’t know if I am just being a nervous nellie or they are going to try and make it that I don’t receive UC when I am not on an assignment through them. I don’t know if I am even making sense in the way I am presenting this. I just want a permanent job!! Sorry, just needed to air things out. It is very hard to talk to friends and family sometimes.

dispaced2007 07/31/2009 10:30am

I know how you feel, its frustrating to find a new job in this economy.

nancym 07/31/2009 12:28pm

Is this staffing agency in living in the 2oth century? They are incapable of using email???

• abaratar 07/31/2009 10:08am

BRAINSTORMING tomorrow we should see 3404 on opencongress, which I see and I think many others should use as a call to action.

I plan to start caling and writing house reps on Monday, and plan to use 3404 to provide updates on that effort it would be nice if other would do this same.

? do you thank asking state reps to add an amendment to the bill to make it incluive of all or more states before voting on this bill would help or hurt?

?Should we just ask people to vote for it the way it is and hope it is ammended?

what is you strategy?

We have accomplished a lot in the past working to gather

unemployed2007 07/31/2009 10:31am

I’ll be posting on 3404 as soon as it’s updated to rank it up. I think we should ask our congress to add an amendment. Ask your state reps. That’s MO. I’m also emailing Snowe and McHugh to move forward their tax suspension bills.

dispaced2007 07/31/2009 12:00pm

Whining to the reps that they should include states with a lower UI rate is called “adding pork”, when you add pork then more people debate they don’t like the pork\changes, then the bill is a source of debate and long delays, meanwhile those states with 9% or higher UI rates roll off EB.

Its my belief we should support the bill as it was introduced, it targets the states that need the most help, which is the focus of EB.

nancym 07/31/2009 12:53pm

This will probably happen anyway (states trying to add theirs), but unfortunately you’re probably right. The states that seem to me to be in the saddest shape as far as no help at all for long term are Maryland and West Virginia, where the individuals with no jobs haven’t even had the TUR to help out. Maryland is at 7.1 and WV is at 8.4. Most of the remaining states either have relatively low unemployment compared to the rest of the country, or else have had at least some extensions with either IUR or TUR.

Connecticut is the odd duck at 7.9, hovering over the rest of its TUR extension. But if things continue at this rate, it’s quite possible that not only would their extra 7 weeks kick in (although late), but before the proposed extension program of 13 weeks is up, they MIGHT even make eligibility for that by hitting 9%.

BTW, I got these figures from the new doleta new rates that just came out for Aug 2.

nancym 07/31/2009 12:54pm

Nice cat, BTW.

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/01/2009 5:28am

I don’t consider help for unemployed people “pork”. Pork is things like tax breaks for the movie industry to buy film and money allocated for buying wooden arrows for children. That was obviously helping someone’s friend whose company makes wooden arrows. Helping taxpayers survive and pay for food and housing is most definitely not pork.

nancym 08/01/2009 8:00am

I agree, helping the long term unemployed anywhere is not a “pet project.” I thought the main point of dispaced2007’s first post was that whenever there is a lot of argument about changing a bill by states wanting something for their own constituents that bills can get bogged down in argument. Even if it’s not labeled “pork” (a lot of stuff is labeled that in Congress these days), chances are that if the 9% limit is raised there will be opposition on the grounds that it will have an indeterminate cost, since so many other states then might qualify if the recession goes on longer than even the experts expect.

nancym 08/01/2009 8:00am

Personally, I think they should have the law set up for individuals; this part about state levels is a bit artificial, since the unemployment often has more to do with industry sectors, age, and other factors rather than location in whichever state. That’s especially true for commuter states like Connecticut and others. But the political reality would never allow for anything so fair.

• MIbumer 07/31/2009 10:27am

bl5, I would tell them you no longer require their services, that you’ve gotten a placement through another service. They (temp agency’s) don’t have that kind of control over you.

This is a temp agency like Manpower, right?

I don’t recall where I got this information….but, I believe I read somewhere that while on U/E & collecting benefits, you are not obligated to take a job that pays less than what you get in U/E benefits.

I will try to locate. Or you can.

• johnj2010 07/31/2009 10:34am

New extension Bill

I was glad to hear congress is doing something for the long-term unemployed. The only problem is many states (CT) like mine will be left out of the extensions if they want a 9% average?

Already we got screwed out of 7 weeks of EB or atleast have to wait till middle of August?

I’m hoping they revise the bill like the last one & 13 weeks for all states while states with a rate of 9% will receive an additional 13 weeks?

Were all in the same boat as far as finding jobs, For every job there’s 300-400 applicants.

John

bl5 07/31/2009 10:56am

MIbumer ~ Spherion Staffing. I feel like they are holding me over a barrel and I am afraid to say anything. I will get out my handbook and double check the information you stated. Thanks! Sometimes I wish I never went to a staffing agency. They have me on pins and needles! I do want the position that may last 3 months. I will see how it goes Monday.

• chittywoma 07/31/2009 10:39am

From CA: 7/31/09

new 13 wks extension:

HR3404, introduced today, will move the deadline for EUC and EB benefits through 2010, and include a 13 week EUC extension for those in states with a 3 month unemployment average of 9%.

States that now meet the required trigger for additional weeks of benefits include AL, CA, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MI, MS, NV, NC, OH, OR, PA, PR, RI, SC, TN, WA, & WI. Additionally, a number of other States are within one percentage point of this standard and may meet it within the coming months, including AK, AZ, DE, ME, MA, MO, NJ, NY & WV. States with lower unemployment rates may still trigger additional weeks under the current EUC and EB programs if unemployment rates rise.

This bill is suppose to get fast tracked when congress comes back from recess in Sept.

Thank God!

need2know 07/31/2009 11:08am

I’m happy for the states that will be recognized. But what is wrong with MD? No jobs are being made available, no matter what is being shown, and for someone my age, there is nothing promising. I have tried repeatedly to contact the representatives, supplying email messages, as well, but nothing is being mentioned for the unemployed. Lord, we need help!

• MIbumer 07/31/2009 11:55am

bl5, I haven’t been able to locate where I read what I told you yet

• nancym 07/31/2009 1:13pm

House Ways and Means
    House Transportation and Infrastructure

These are the two committees that HR 3404 is sitting in. That means that besides calling our reps now and later during their recess in their home states, we can also call and bug the committees and committee staff (who stay during recess if I’m not mistaken) to push the bill.

And does anyone know of anyone in the Senate who is coming up with a companion bill?

nancym 07/31/2009 1:24pm

P.S. And ESPECIALLY call your reps if they are on either of those two committees!

unemployed2007 07/31/2009 1:25pm

Hi Nancy,

I know that Sen. Debbie Stabenow of MI is working on the senate bill per the Detroit News. I sent her an email today. She is from my state.

I also saw those committees listed. Just curious, why would house trans and infrastructure be included?

I understand the pork issue too. And your points above are good.

BTW, Displaced2007 – I like the cat too :)

nancym 07/31/2009 2:11pm

“why would house trans and infrastructure be included?”

That’s a really good question—don’t know, maybe it’s just some kind of formality? If I find out I’ll post, anybody else know?

nancym 07/31/2009 2:27pm

Checking further, House Transportation and Infrastructure has a Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management. I don’t know if this is the reason for the bill going to the larger committee, but it would seem that 1.5 million or so citizens in danger of foreclosure, homelessness, no heat in the winter, no money for medicine, etc., etc., all at once this fall would have to be seen as an emergency.

• nancym 07/31/2009 1:21pm

I gave some feedback to OC about how I hate the graphics (oh, those stars!) and some of the layout for this new site, and reported a bad link I found, but complimented them on some of the great new features they have, and hey, it’s free, so I can’t complain too much. And they’ve certainly been a huge help to us all.

Don’t know how many of you noticed, but you can input your +4 zipcode in your profile now and it automatically will link you to the Congressman for your House district. Pretty handy.

And if anyone new is reading this, note that for upcoming phone campaign resources you can save all kinds of stuff in “My Political Notebook” in your profile, so the info doesn’t have to be repeated over and over in the comments section. (This feature is not new.)

• nancym 07/31/2009 2:48pm

If anyone doesn’t want to wait for OC to post Jim McDermott’s bill, he has posted the PDF on his website:

It’s only 9 pages, and remember it’s not a final bill. But if it survives somewhat intact, you all might note that there’s a provision, if I understand it correctly, that specifically states that payments will be made only for weeks of unemployment that occur after the bill becomes law. So anyone thinking there will be retroactive payments should probably not expect that, unless the bill is changed. And that also makes the bill all the more urgent in some ways.

• davidak 07/31/2009 5:14pm

we need to march to washington and send all those criminals in government home with no benefits

• Patriots 07/31/2009 5:23pm

It’s been another (among many) rough day here in Ct. A brief scan of the conversation here says that there is a new bill to fight for. I don’t have the energy to get too involved with that anymore. Even the fight for Ct. drained me more than I planned on. What to do now? I’m not really sure.

Here are a few videos that helped me recharge a little today. Maybe some a little esoteric…..but……

THE MOST PROFOUND QUESTION

A Lesson in Fortitude

Hero

Have a good weekend everyone.