H.R.6867 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008

To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (6)

• Official: To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as enacted.

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/02/2009 9:02am

When Boston Globe ran it’s article about MA adding the TUR trigger and getting the 7 extra weeks, you should have seen the comments. My conclusion is that people with jobs are becoming jealous of the unemployed because they are getting more and more work piled on them and their benefits cut, etc. I think that a lot of them don’t realize that you only get half or less of what your paycheck used to be. I spoke with someone recently who said he was going to try to get laid off because he’d like to get his paycheck and stay home. I told him he would only get about half of what he was getting paid and he said something like…you’re kidding. Forget it. I couldn’t live on that.

nancym 08/02/2009 9:09am

I think you’re right. Add to that the frequent comments that clump UI benefits with welfare, even though by definition the latter only goes to people who have worked sufficiently to get them. And even though the employed are nervous about their jobs, unless they just got hired, they still never lived through a recession as bad as this one (unless they’re 90 or something), and so don’t understand why, even with all the jobless lines on tv, that it’s so hard to find work, even fast food type work.

FLarlene 08/02/2009 5:51pm

Hi Nancy, I was reading your comment regarding someone on “This Week” making a comment about unemployment benefits.

The woman’s name is Michele Malkin. She is a far Right Wing Conservative. Most Conservatives hate social programs, no matter what the reason.

nancym 08/03/2009 1:17am

Thanks, yes, I remember now. I caught only the end of the program. I had heard her name before, but never noticed her on a show. George obviously had her on that panel to create an impression of “fair and balanced” but to me she came off looking like a teenager stuck on some recently acquired dogma. I must be getting old, less patience with that kind of thing than ever.

There are plenty of fiscal conservatives out there, in both parties and in between, that I don’t have a problem with, even agree with in some areas. But mindless dogma spouting from a best seller seeker makes me glad we have at least minimal gun control, otherwise I’d be shooting up my tv every day.

bninfl 08/06/2009 1:38pm

YOU CALL UNEMPLOYMENT FOR THOSE WHO WERE LAID OFF A “SOCIAL PROGRAM”? UH WRONG BALLPARK… THE PROGRAMS THEY ARE MOSTLY AGAINST ARE THE WASTEFUL SPENDING YOU SEE HAPPENING BEFORE YOUR OWN EYES!!!! USELESS PROGRAMS THAT HAVE MONEY THROWN AT THEM ALL THE TIME… THERE’S NO TUR OR QUALIFICATIONS FOR MOST OF THE FRIVOLOUS “SOCIAL PROGRAMS” OUT THERE…. AND SOME OF THOSE PROGRAMS HAVE PEOPLE WHO ARE SCAMMING US OUT OF OUR OWN MONEY TO FUND THEIR GOOD FOR NOTHING PROGRAM. OR AT LEAST FIND FUNDING SOMEWHERE ELSE INSTEAD OF USING TAX PAYER MONEY. GOOD GRIEF.

• mike40 08/02/2009 9:09am

Notice this new upgraded opencongress site today looks better then old one..and yes with my IE8 no post button..Firefox as said is better to use has post button.

Well I just read that Congress and the president are working to extend unemployment for those running out of benefits soon…That’s good news.
    Story was on msnbc web site a hour ago.

• bl5 08/02/2009 9:39am

Officials to seek unemployment benefits extension

hour, 25 minutes ago

(AP:WASHINGTON) President Barack Obama’s top economic advisers say the administration will work with Congress to extend unemployment benefits for millions of Americans.

The head of the president’s Council of Economic Advisers, Christina Romer, said Sunday that the administration is already looking ahead at an extension of benefits as that money runs out.

Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel of New York says people who soon will lose their unemployment benefits deserve an extension. He says they are “the true victims” of the nation’s financial disaster.

Republican Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina says he also supports an extension of benefits.

Romer appeared Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union” while Rangel and DeMint spoke to “Fox News Sunday.”

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/02/2009 9:57am

Thanks. I think you answered the quesion I was asking on 3404.

abaratar 08/02/2009 10:00am

unfortunately they do not plan to begin looking at it till to year end and then only for states with a TUR of 9% or higher.

davidak 08/02/2009 5:16pm

you need to read the link you posted more carefully, it does not say they wont look at it till years end, it states no jobs progression untill then

abaratar 08/02/2009 6:49pm

“I think that is something that the administration and Congress are going to look very carefully at as we get closer to the end of this year,” Geithner said

• tx2step 08/02/2009 10:08am

Has anyone from TX. rec’d their letter re: EB?

• nancym 08/03/2009 2:31am

(Warning!— very long post)

I realize I may be labeled a Pollyanna for making this early morning declaration, but I’ll risk it anyway.

Here in Florida I just read in the Herald that the stimulus money is delayed in much red tape, while direct aid to consumers pumps money into the economy with the instant hit of the CFC program, something we all knew when we argued for more benefits that would help not only us as individuals, but also the overall economy. Unfortunately, the stimulus was not constructed with a larger balance of direct aid for immediate stimulus.

In spite of all that, there’s been a small perk up in property sales here, mainly to billionaires, and I’ll add something I’ve noticed personally. Since I work in areas related to promotion (graphics, web, etc.)—jobs in my area tend to be the last to leave and the first to come back in the private sector as companies gear up for business (or at the start of a downturn try desperately to bring in customers).

nancym 08/03/2009 2:32am

All winter I watched as job search keywords piled up ridiculously short and irrelevant lists of jobs not worth applying for. But in the last month or so I’ve seen a slight but encouraging difference, especially for this time of year. More relevant job openings, even if not all in Florida are showing up; I’ve had two interviews and one relevant recruiter solicitation in the last month, no job yet, but encouraging. At my age and particular skills niche, it still may be quite a while before I snag something, but at least I’m getting less depressed at reading the job ads than I was in the winter and spring.

nancym 08/03/2009 2:33am

I have no illusions that if the economy climbs out of this hole that we will all return to “normal,” since that norm was based on an illusion anyway (the series of bubbles that made so many rich but also so many downtrodden). I never spent big sums on credit for fancy stuff other than just survival and over-priced health insurance, and I never bought a house I couldn’t afford, or any of that. But I always made the assumption that I would continue with whatever level of lifestyle I had because I could always find a job. Even with a recovery, I think we all know it will be limited in many ways due to many types of jobs that will never come back, the effect of debt, both national and personal. The “new normal” may not be what we had or still want, but we can probably adapt more easily now to what much of the industrialized world has been living with for decades.

nancym 08/03/2009 2:33am

In spite of the incredible odiousness of it all, the mistakes made in the process in both Bush’s and Obama’s admins, I really do think, as much as I seriously despise many of the players involved, that stabilizing the banking system may have averted us all from a fate much worse (hard to imagine) than what we are in now. With that, private sector can at least have the possibility of coming back, even if not with as much gusto as before. I guess what I’m saying is my intuition and observation tell me that we’re not facing a total world economic meltdown for my later years, some “Thunderball” scenario, something I thought quite possible these past months.

nancym 08/03/2009 2:34am

This is mainly a gut feeling, based on little things, so I don’t really feel like debating it endlessly. But I will make another “declaration,” slightly symbolic I guess—I will keep reading this forum, but will refrain from posting here (unless I can’t help myself!) in favor of looking to the future and posting over on the new forum for 3404. (I’ll bet OC will be happy if they can retire this overloaded blog and move us over there to newer territory!) HR 3404 can use the attention, even though I really think the opposition to an extension will come mainly in the Senate, if anywhere.

Good-bye, 6867!

• jjfinect 08/03/2009 6:04am

I ran out of benefits. It is so scary not to have that check coming in.

Has anyone heard any new updates on CT? If not does anyone know when we will find out if we get the last part of the EB extension?

I updated to browser 8 so I can communicate with you guys again!

Thanks!

• jjfinect 08/03/2009 6:08am

If you are a single person without children 211 is of almost no use except for food stamps and medicaid, but to even qualify for those it will take up to 60 days of processing! What does a person do until then for money for food???

Why the heck does a state have to hit 9% to qualify for the extension congress is talking about. Lord knows if CT will hit that high. All I know is that we have hardly any jobs and so many people out of work.

Thanks!

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/03/2009 6:42am

Doesn’t CT have emergency assistance? During the break between extensions before, I went to the nearest MA welfare office, filled out forms, waited about 20 minutes, talked to someone, was given a card and had $176 dollars in foodstamps the next day and was approved for 3 months. You might want to call first to see what types of info you have to bring. I brought everything required which may be one reason I was processed so quickly.

Patriots 08/03/2009 1:40pm

No Hope. MA gives much more help than CT to their people. I learned that when I worked there.

Patriots 08/03/2009 1:41pm

Sorry, I had another poster on my mind NGOL, I had a really hard day.

dispaced2007 08/03/2009 8:26am

CT has this website listing help for “other adults”? (healthy single adults)

Patriots 08/03/2009 2:01pm

I think the last part of the quote from the site says a lot.

“Financial Assistance

The financial assistance programs provide income support to individuals and families to meet their basic needs while encouraging their maximum degree of independence. The programs are:

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
    See Also: Welfare Reform"

• jjfinect 08/03/2009 7:13am

I’m not sure. The first time I called the number that 211 gave me everytime I got through they kept hanging up the phone! I’m serious. I don’t know if that is what they think is cutting the budget. Then when I called this time they told me that I needed to apply down at their office and that it would take up to 60 days to process. We are in a budget crisis so maybe that is why? They were not that helpful.

• 2kgs4 08/03/2009 8:24am

Has anyone from TX. rec’d their letter re: EB?

I thought we didn’t get EB because Perry denied funds?

• johnj2010 08/03/2009 8:34am

JJFINECT

I hear you, I’m in the same boat.

We have to wait till August 20th to find out what is going to happen? If it stays at 8% or go’s higher (which it should due to more layoffs in the state) then we will get the additional 7 weeks – As Patriots mentioned , I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t starts until the 1st week in September?

What’s even more depressing is the fact if they don’t revise HR 3404 bill and take out the 9% We wont get the possible 13 weeks extension?

Here is the page for the new bill:

John

• PAGirl 08/03/2009 8:34am

Hello PA Friends,

I haven’t been able to post on the new site but I have been reading. I had to go elsewhere to make a post.

Has anyone heard any new updates on the additional 7 weeks? I am hoping to find out some details (I.e. when we can start to file again). I was searching and couldn’t find anything.

Thanks so much….
    I hope you are all well!

DannyDog 08/03/2009 9:37am

PENNSYLVANIA UPDATE …

An email from advocate attorney Sharon Dietrich sent at 1:30PM to me is pasted below.

In case you are interested in the politics abour HB 1770, the UC Extended Benefits bill, here you go.

I am told that the bill is expected to be on a House supplemental agenda for concurrence today. Concurrence was needed because of a technical amendment to make it retroactive to when people started to get cut off. The Governor’s Office will then try to get the Senate to sign it right away, so he can sign it and get it done.

Checks should be coming soon.

Sharon M. Dietrich
    Managing Attorney for Employment and Public Benefits
    Community Legal Services, Inc.
    1424 Chestnut Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    (direct) 215-981-3719
    (fax) 215-981-0434
    sdietrich@clsphila.org

DannyDog 08/03/2009 9:51am

PAGirl,

The bill will be retroactive to July 1st. So we should not miss any weeks.