H.R.6867 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008

To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (6)

• Official: To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as enacted.

• Patriots 08/05/2009 1:11pm

I’ll post this here too.

I just came from my local gas station. There was a woman with two kids sitting on the hood of her car crying in the 90 degree sun. One of the kids was holding a sign saying “Broke…out of gas…anything will help”

They lost their apartment when unemployment ran out. They are living in their car now.

I filled their gas tank and called a friend. His wife came and got them. At least they have a safe place to park and a meal tonight.

Something better be done soon to help people out here.

• Patriots 08/05/2009 1:18pm

Fallout Running Out of Options
    For Many Americans, Nowhere to Go but Down

MIDDLEBURY, Ind. — He sinks into the couch, foot jiggling, his gaze traveling from his wife to the television to the darkness outside, broken now and then by the distant glow of passing headlights.

His mind settles into another round of “What if?”

As in: What if we don’t have cash to buy milk, eggs, bread or diapers? What if our unemployment benefits run out? What if we never find jobs?

And then Scott Nichols thinks of the words he doesn’t want to say, what for him, a 39-year-old husband and father of two, is the option he has hoped to avoid since being laid off nine months earlier.

Patriots 08/05/2009 1:19pm

They already took free food from a church pantry, cardboard boxes filled with Corn Flakes and bologna and saltines, his wife, Kelly, walking in, head down, while he stayed in the car, ashen. They pawned his wedding ring, sold part of her Silver Eagle coin collection and had help from the Salvation Army paying their electric bill.

Now another cliff approaches: the loss of the home they rent.

• Robbi314 08/05/2009 4:05pm

I read a story like that (about that family) and can’t help wonder where the conscience of our illustrious “change will come” president is when I hear he and his family are taking what I beleve is a $25 or 50,000 a week vacation. It sickens me. How can anyone do that?? President or not?? I gues “mr. change” has already forgotten where he came from. Not surprised.

• NoGoodOnesLeft 08/05/2009 8:53pm

Danny Dog, you might want to send in your other forms just in case. I am not a lawyer and I could be wrong about the retro weeks. I would feel lousy if I screwed up your claim.

DannyDog 08/06/2009 2:27am

Thanks for your information.

• JohnB 08/07/2009 2:20pm

Another Hurdle for the Jobless: Credit Inquiries

Digging out of debt keeps getting harder for the unemployed as more companies use detailed credit checks to screen job prospects.
    Out of work since December, Juan Ochoa was delighted when a staffing firm recently responded to his posting on Hotjobs.com with an opening for a data entry clerk. Before he could do much more, though, the firm checked his credit history.

The interest vanished. There were too many collections claims against him, the firm said.

• Patriots 08/08/2009 4:15pm

I hope everyone that reads this will help NELP with this one. We are.

“-We need people to volunteer to tell their stories to the press. Please sign up as a media spokesperson at http://www.unemployedworkers.org/page/s/uistories

-We need you to contact your member of Congress and Senator when they are home for the August recess. Please visit http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/FederalExtension to find an action alert you can send to your member of Congress. If you are able to reach someone in your Congressperson’s office please let us know what they say at unemployedworkers.org@gmail.com."

Patriots 08/08/2009 4:15pm

“-We need you to forward this your friends, the more letters sent to Congress, the better! The link is http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/FederalExtension

We’ll be coming up with new ideas and features to push this campaign forward. We are happy to introduce Tiphany Lee, who has joined NELP’s team to spruce up our unemployedworkers.org website and to help on this campaign. You’ll be hearing from her in the not too distant future.

Best,

Andy, Tiphany, Christine, Debbie, Maurice, Judy and Rick

The National Employment Law Project’s Unemployed Workers team"

need2know 08/10/2009 10:45pm

Patriots, thank you so much for providing this information! I am utilizing it right now, and pray that something will materialize post haste. God bless you!

• jelee 08/09/2009 4:09am

Hi everybody, just thought I would let any Ohioians know that I have spoke to in the past here on OC in reference of HR 6867 that as I might drop back here
    to this site to check things out once in awhile, I will now be mainly on the
    H.R.3404 blog commenting until it either pass’es or clashes and burns. thanks for all your help Blog H.R.6867.

• PAGirl 08/09/2009 4:57am

Good morning DannyDog and PA folks….

I hope you are having a good weekend. I was just checking in to see if anyone has spoken to a UC rep lately and if you have found out any new information. Also, has anyone received their forms in the mail (they told me they were all mailed on Tuesday the 4th). I have received any forms but will be getting the one ready that I have for the 8th. I plan to wait for the mail tomorrow and then mail it out (if the new forms don’t arrive).

• DannyDog 08/09/2009 7:49am

PAGirl and PA friends,

Absolutely nothing new here. I haven’t received anything in the mail yet, so I will mail the claim form that I already have completed after my mail arrives on Monday at about 10AM … unless I get other directions or information in the mail to the contrary. I won’t wait past noon on Monday. If I messed up by mailing it in, then I will call UC to fix it later.

At about 1 PM on Sunday, no updates to the UC site

• DannyDog 08/09/2009 7:52am

I guess we can check the UC site on Monday for updates before mailing the claim for the week ending August 8th.

• DannyDog 08/10/2009 3:28am

PAGirl and Pennsylvania friends,
    If you have a mail claim for the week ending August 8th, mail it immediately. From the UC website, updated on Thursday …

The Pennsylvania UC Law was recently amended to increase the maximum amount of EB a claimant may receive if Pennsylvania enters a “high unemployment period,” or HUP. A HUP occurs when Pennsylvania’s total unemployment rate reaches 8 percent. The Commonwealth’s total unemployment rate has risen to the level necessary to create a HUP.
    As a result of the HUP, if you were financially eligible for 13 weeks of regular EB, your financial eligibility is increased to 20 weeks. If you were financially eligible for 8 weeks of regular EB, your financial eligibility is increased to 12.8 weeks.

• DannyDog 08/10/2009 3:29am

Continued

This increased amount of EB, called HUP EB, applies only to weeks within the HUP. The first week for which HUP EB may be paid is the week ending August 8, 2009, and the last week for which HUP EB may be paid is the week ending January 2, 2010. As of January 2, 2010, any remaining unused balance of HUP EB financial eligibility expires.
    Claims for HUP EB are filed in the same way as claims for regular EB.

• PAGirl 08/10/2009 3:46am

Good morning DannyDog,

I read that as well and have been sitting here deciding whether or not to head to the post office to mail this form. One rep said mail it and the other said don’t because the scanner across the top “could” be different. I think I am going to finish filling it out and head to the post office.

Thanks!

• DannyDog 08/10/2009 3:51am

PAGirl,
    Thanks for the tip. I’ll check the bar code etc. to see if there is a difference in the forms. If I don’t get the forms in today’s mail, then I will send in the form that I have.

dlh 08/10/2009 4:23am

DannyDog & PAGirl…

I can’t find the “notice” below. Do either of you have the link?

I guess, I too, will wait for the mail today to see if I get any new forms, otherwise, like you, I will be mailing the one I have in.

Thanks for the updates!!

• DannyDog 08/10/2009 5:23am

dlh,

Here’s the link to the UC page. Scroll down and look for “HUP” section.

dlh 08/10/2009 5:35am

Found it, Thanks DannyDog…

One question… it states…..The first week for which HUP EB “may be paid” is the week ending August 8, 2009. Do you interpret that as we “may not” be paid being week ending 8/8/09?

DannyDog 08/10/2009 9:57am

I fully expect to be paid for the week ending August 8th. The law went in to effect on Tuesday the 4th. I think the “may” is just the usual legalese wording to protect them from exceptional situations.

• DannyDog 08/10/2009 5:34am

PAGirl and Pennsylvania friends,

I received four mail claims in today’s mail. Weeks ending 8/8, 8/15, 8/22 and 8/29. The information inside says that once the third claim has been received, then another set of four is prepared for mailing.

The new forms were absolutely identical to the ones I had. I checked for bar code numbers on both etc. They were identical in every way, so I mailed my old completed one this morning. I expect to have some payment info on Thursday or Friday or I may call them on Friday.

dlh 08/10/2009 5:43am

THANKS PAGirl!

So I can get it out now, guess I’ll use the old one, as well! That way I don’t have to wait until 2:30 for the mail which I may or may not receive the new forms!

Thanks again!

• PAGirl 08/10/2009 8:09am

Hi all,

I received my forms in the mail today as well and just got back from the post office mailing my claim form for last week. If I don’t see any updates by Friday I am going to call them to make sure that they have recieved the funding. As of last week, all of the accounts were still showing a zero balance because the funds hadn’t been given yet. She said they should be there at the beginning of this week so we don’t have a delay. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that she was correct.

• DannyDog 08/10/2009 10:03am

I think that that is a pretty good time-line. I don’t expect to see a payment date before Friday or Saturday, since I just mailed the claim at 11AM this morning. I’ll keep checking my account balance frequently to see how that’s going. I hope the rep is right about the updated balance early in the week.

• 2kgs4 08/10/2009 10:08am

Tx here: today I received my letter for EB benefits with a 800 number to call. god bless

• need2know 08/10/2009 10:46pm

Patriots, thank you so much for providing the information to use to contact Congress with! I am utilizing it right now, and pray that something will materialize post haste. God bless you!

• PAGirl 08/12/2009 3:19am

Good morning DannyDog and PA Friends,

I just wanted to update you all. I call the UC today and was told that all of our accounts are updated and the balances have been replenished so we should see no delay in our claims being processed. I was relieved to hear that!

I hope everyone is doing well…

dlh 08/12/2009 5:55am

Thanks PAGirl. They told me the same thing when I called. Thanks for all the updates PA Friends!

FYI… We should keep an eye out for the “new” so-called extensions when congress returns in the fall. Hopefully the market will turn around soon and we can stop depending on the government and all of us can actually find work soon!

Good Luck.

The new bill’s web site: