H.R.6867 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008

To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (6)

• Official: To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as enacted.

outoftime 09/12/2008 9:05pm

CS, I think you will win, because when the employer does not contest it, you almost always win the case. That is how it works here anyways.

Good luck CS.

• Anonymous 09/12/2008 6:52pm

Hi everyone, here we go again? I sure hope this bill passes faster than the last one did, especially do to state of the economy. Rising gasoline cost,( it just jumped up an other 22 cents from yesterday), food costs, natural gas & the electric bill is going up again………………Not Good?

• Anonymous 09/12/2008 7:41pm

Hi all, I feel your pain. Gasoline jumped up about 65 cents where I am. Has anyone had any trouble receiving the remainder of the extended benefits after your claim year ended? I had to file a new claim, which I did and was told it could take three weeks. This is ridiciulous. I am fighting 2 fights, one to continue the old and one for a new extension.

• Anonymous 09/13/2008 3:33am

I’m all for an extension, but 7 weeks? Because of the election? And in answer to the above question: my extended benefits were stopped because I had to file for a new benefit year (which I knew I was not eligible for.) I called the other day (good thing I did). I was GOING to get a letter telling me I needed a phone interview on the 23rd because of a question on my form (regarding a temp job I had). The 23rd!! Hold up my extension til the 23rd??? Fortunately, I straightened it out on the phone and she put me back on the extension. I hope to have that check today. So, yes, you have to file for a new claim if your year ran out and unless you worked and met the criteria, you will be denied the new claim and get put back on the extension. Waste of time, but as they say, “it is what it is.”

• Anonymous 09/13/2008 3:38am

I hope the lawmakers realize that when we read about thousands being laid off here and there, those people won’t be filing for new claims until after they’ve left, and after they’ve expired their vacation, bonus, buyout. In NJ, I know we’ll get hit when the pharmaceutical cos. really start laying off big-time. But as I mentioned, there will be a big delay until it hits the “new claims” figures.

• Anonymous 09/13/2008 4:47am

Nj here, my extension was also stopped without notice due to my benefit year ending that was two weeks ago, still have not heard and can not get through on telephone. So depressing, I am not up to another roller coaster ride. Hope this extension passes has an emergency and we do not have to wait months like the last time.

Anyone from NJ who extended benefits was stopped and have to reapplied and what was the outcome????

Thanks

CS_ Good Luck to you

• Anonymous 09/13/2008 4:52am

• Anonymous 09/13/2008 4:53am

opps sorry Mich. Here

GM CEO looks to build support for loan program
    By KEN THOMAS

Under Armour’s Footwear Foray

Story Tools
    order a reprint
    digg this
    save to del.icio.us
    WASHINGTON

General Motors Corp. Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner says a comprehensive energy strategy will require a “massive investment in new technologies.”

Wagoner is to speak Friday at a Senate energy summit where he’s expected to try to build support for up to $50 billion in loans to the auto industry. Automakers want to use the money to help modernize plants and build fuel-efficient vehicles.

Wagoner says in prepared remarks that the auto industry has an opportunity to move away from an overwhelming reliance upon oil and develop biofuels, batteries and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says he’s hoping to secure funding for the loan program this year

• Anonymous 09/13/2008 5:40am

auto companies should go get their loans from mexico and china i dont want my tax monies being used for their bonuses when they lose billions

• Anonymous 09/13/2008 6:49am

I think Nancy Pelosi could have explained her point with out running down the president and every other republican. The extension is about us no matter who they think caused this and who’s responsible. All she does is clam them up. She could have used the numbers etc would have been more productive.

• Anonymous 09/13/2008 6:52am

The government could have just closed down Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac they are shitty loans anyway. They give money to people that have been refused by everyone else, it doesn’t make sense. This is gonna cost us trillions . I’d rather give the auto industry loans than fannie and freddie. This would at least save a few jobs.

• outoftime 09/13/2008 9:38am

There is a lot of good information here, in the testimonies at the Ways and Means hearing.

I’m not going to be able to help much more with the fight this time, for this bill, because I decided to “hit the road” before winter gets here. There is no jobs anywhere around here. You can’t even go into a store or fast food place without seeing numerous people filling out job applications. I asked Walmart if they were hiring yesterday, and they said “no” and “we have over a hundred people a day wanting to apply for a job”. Hopefully I can find something out there before my money runs out. If I don’t it can’t be much worse than if I was here. Hopefully it will be some place warmer.

I am selling everything I can from what I have left and packing up my truck and going somewhere.

I have a friend that already wants to buy my computer, but she doesn’t have the money yet. By sometime next week I will be “offline”.

Keep up the fight.

I wish you all the best of luck.

• Anonymous 09/13/2008 11:45am

To my fellow NJ friend: Keep dialing the number over and over, you will eventually get through. And even if they say the waiting time is 20 mins, it won’t be that long. Get it straightened over the phone with them and they’ll also process your weekly claim at the same time. Today I got all kinds of mail from U/E (just like from day 1) including my “denial” for the new benefit claim and my next claim date on the rest of the extension. Good Luck. I don’t think I even worked this hard when I had a job! (Only kidding).

• Anonymous 09/13/2008 12:00pm

Nj – my benefit year ended ,today I received word, I am entitled to a new claim, since the original claim was based on 3 quarters from 2006. Now I can collect 6 months again without the extension.