H.R.6867 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008

To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (6)

• Official: To provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed house.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as passed senate.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as enacted.

johnj2010 07/31/2009 10:34am

New extension Bill

I was glad to hear congress is doing something for the long-term unemployed. The only problem is many states (CT) like mine will be left out of the extensions if they want a 9% average?

Already we got screwed out of 7 weeks of EB or atleast have to wait till middle of August?

I’m hoping they revise the bill like the last one & 13 weeks for all states while states with a rate of 9% will receive an additional 13 weeks?

Were all in the same boat as far as finding jobs, For every job there’s 300-400 applicants.

John

unemployed2007 07/31/2009 10:31am
in reply to abaratar Jul 31, 2009 10:08am

I’ll be posting on 3404 as soon as it’s updated to rank it up. I think we should ask our congress to add an amendment. Ask your state reps. That’s MO. I’m also emailing Snowe and McHugh to move forward their tax suspension bills.

dispaced2007 07/31/2009 10:30am
in reply to bl5 Jul 31, 2009 9:21am

I know how you feel, its frustrating to find a new job in this economy.

MIbumer 07/31/2009 10:27am

bl5, I would tell them you no longer require their services, that you’ve gotten a placement through another service. They (temp agency’s) don’t have that kind of control over you.

This is a temp agency like Manpower, right?

I don’t recall where I got this information….but, I believe I read somewhere that while on U/E & collecting benefits, you are not obligated to take a job that pays less than what you get in U/E benefits.

I will try to locate. Or you can.

abaratar 07/31/2009 10:08am

BRAINSTORMING tomorrow we should see 3404 on opencongress, which I see and I think many others should use as a call to action.

I plan to start caling and writing house reps on Monday, and plan to use 3404 to provide updates on that effort it would be nice if other would do this same.

? do you thank asking state reps to add an amendment to the bill to make it incluive of all or more states before voting on this bill would help or hurt?

?Should we just ask people to vote for it the way it is and hope it is ammended?

what is you strategy?

We have accomplished a lot in the past working to gather

bl5 07/31/2009 9:21am

They said I still have to come in a fill out the paperwork all over again and bring in 2 forms of ID…They then let me know that I need to answer their calls because I am on their UC list and must accept positions offered to me. Up until now, there has only been a 3 day stint and a one day stint both positions filled with people other than myself. I didn’t get back to them in enough time. I don’t know if I am just being a nervous nellie or they are going to try and make it that I don’t receive UC when I am not on an assignment through them. I don’t know if I am even making sense in the way I am presenting this. I just want a permanent job!! Sorry, just needed to air things out. It is very hard to talk to friends and family sometimes.

bl5 07/31/2009 9:21am

I am a nervous wreck. The last position I had was through a staffing agency. Since being laid off, I have been able to get work here and there this past year through this staffing agency. Well, I have an appointment Monday that may lead to a 3 month position through that agency. When I called the agency today for an update, they stated that they have tried calling several times and were not able to contact me. This is how I found out that my answering machine went kaput. When I figured out why I didn’t know they had called when I was out and about looking into work leads and I let them know. They just told me that they will update me when I come in on Monday to update my information. The funny thing is, and I let them know, the last time I worked was through them and I haven’t found employment since.

need2know 07/31/2009 9:20am

So, in retrospect, the “cash for clunkers” program is overriding long-term unemployment issues, and all of us who are over 50, continuing to be denied job offers, are having to try managing without unemployment provision.

dispaced2007 07/31/2009 9:03am
in reply to bl5 Jul 31, 2009 8:54am

There always seems to be something that crops up that they race to take care of while they back burner the long term unemployment situation.

Selling cars is supposed to stimulate the economy and keep the car manufactures a float, but the ripple effect will materialize into jobs for us before UI extensions run out.

bl5 07/31/2009 8:54am

Gee whiz, forget about the long term unemployed…people need cash for clunkers. An additional 2 billion has been approved for the program:

WASHINGTON – The House has voted to rush an additional $2 billion into the popular but financially strapped “cash for clunkers” car purchase program.

DannyDog 07/31/2009 1:44am

I’m guessing that we shouldn’t be looking for any notification in the mail for about two or three weeks. I think that we will then be able to claim three or four weeks of “retroactive” payments online and then revert to mail claims for the remainder of the seven weeks. Job search will not be required for “retro” weeks. None of this will be happening quickly guys.

DannyDog 07/31/2009 1:35am

Pennsylvania notes …..

Comments from Senator Bob Robbins on Wednesday July 29th on HB 1770:

HB 1770 returns to the House for concurrence on Senate amendments. In addition to enactment of the bill, Pennsylvania’s unemployment rate must be certified by the Federal government before the additional benefits can be released. The process is expected to be completed in about two weeks.

HopefromCA 07/30/2009 7:29pm

Jans1116,
I just wish there was laws to help the unemployed when the chips are down. I just got a letter saying that because the company is filing bankruptcy our Cobra is being canceled. Individual Health Insurance is very expensive and I don’t know if I am going to find any medical insurance reasonable.

Jans1116 07/30/2009 7:26pm

Oh yeah, nice job on the site changes!

Jans1116 07/30/2009 7:25pm

I agree. I think things will improve. I noticed the people really out of work still are those 45 and older. I am sure the younger unemployed are having a tough time too. I can answer where mine went two times, INDIA. I do worry the youth will have it tough. Education with the new world order will be key. I wish they worked more on jobs.

MIbumer 07/30/2009 6:46pm

night

Patriots 07/30/2009 6:30pm
in reply to Patriots Jul 30, 2009 6:27pm

PS, that’s a 2channel emoticon from Japan, lol :)

Patriots 07/30/2009 6:27pm

We will talk later.

Good night,

お(^o^)や(^O^)す(^。^)みぃ(^-^)ノ゙

MIbumer 07/30/2009 6:25pm

EXCELLENT

MIbumer 07/30/2009 6:21pm

Patriots, you want some employment war stories?

I have been working for 40 years. I have lived in & worked in several states of the US. Of all those places, never have I seen worse employers then I see where I bought a house. People here go to work fearful of losing their jobs every single day. The companies have the upper hand, it’s do the job or we find someone else. I’m sure you know Patriots, that people would rather be asked,not told, or at least told nicely to do something. Companies here use the temp services like Manpower & they work people up until a few days before hire-in & end the work assignment. 1 guy I know worked for 5 years before the company hired him in. Another place here, dosen’t even consider their temps for hire-in positions, someone off the street has a better chance of a full time job rather than the temp worker.

Thanks for the links, I will check them out

Patriots 07/30/2009 6:19pm

(-.-)Zzz

PS, that means I’m going to bed now (^_~)

Patriots 07/30/2009 6:14pm
in reply to MIbumer Jul 30, 2009 5:56pm

(o.O)

v(^_^)v

(-.-)Zzz

Patriots 07/30/2009 6:10pm
in reply to Patriots Jul 30, 2009 6:07pm

I have many more…….but I already depressed myself too much :(

Patriots 07/30/2009 6:07pm
in reply to Patriots Jul 30, 2009 6:03pm

Prepare for more foreclosures … many more

And this one scares me a little!

Washington learns to treat China with care

DannyDog 07/30/2009 6:05pm
in reply to nancym Jul 30, 2009 5:36pm

Pennsylvania uses mail claims for Extended Benefits. Job searches must be entered on the forms. We send in a claim week each. It sounds low tech but works fine. I can always check progress of the claim online. I wonder how many states use mail claims and how many use online filings?

Patriots 07/30/2009 6:04pm
in reply to MIbumer Jul 30, 2009 5:56pm

OK ;)

Patriots 07/30/2009 6:03pm

OK, you want some “Doom and Gloom”, here you go.

Sea of troubles
The recession is buffeting the world of shipping—with even rougher waters ahead

The collapse in commercial property
Towers of debt

Overqualified and underpaid workers
Workers are downgrading their job prospects, but employers get to cherry pick the best talent for less pay.

MIbumer 07/30/2009 5:56pm

Patriots, I may be a dinosaur, but I’m not a fossil…..k means ok? ok?

lol (you need some help with lol also?)

just kiddin’, no smilies here. no nuthin’ but straight ariel font.

YIKES

tough crowd!

MIbumer 07/30/2009 5:52pm

These proposals clearly show that some political leaders just don’t get it. That’s why we are working to defeat such initiatives on your behalf. We need to count you as one of our many supporters as we battle those who seek to make doing business in Michigan more costly and more difficult. Join our fight today!

ISN’T IT JUST TERRIBLE TO ASK FOR MEDICAL COVERAGE< A DECENT, LIVABLE WAGE & WHEN TIMES ARE TOUGH A WEE BIT MORE TO COVER THE EVER INCREASING COST OF HOME HEATING, ELECTRIC, WATER….ect?

But wait, only High School kids earn minimum wage……right?

MIbumer 07/30/2009 5:51pm

Here’s a little tidbit:

SBAM

Mark Brewer, chair of the Michigan Democratic Party, is proposing several new ballot initiatives that will increase the cost of running your business. Increasing the cost to employ people = higher number of unemployed people in Michigan.

• Mandating all employers to provide health care for their employees and dependents or pay a penalty.
  • Increase unemployment benefits by $100/week, making all workers eligible and adding six months to the time someone can receive benefits.
  • Raise the minimum wage from $7.40 to $10.00/hour and cover all workers with no exceptions.

And, when asked by a reporter how cash-strapped businesses would be expected to pay the cost of the various proposals, Brewer answered: “That’s not my problem.” (MIRS Newsletter 7/22/2009).