S.2433 - Global Poverty Act of 2007

A bill to require the President to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to further the United States foreign policy objective of promoting the reduction of global poverty, the elimination of extreme global poverty, and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal of reducing by one-half the proportion of people worldwide, between 1990 and 2015, who live on less than $1 per day. view all titles (3)

• Short: Global Poverty Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Global Poverty Act of 2007 as reported to senate.
  • Official: A bill to require the President to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to further the United States foreign policy objective of promoting the reduction of global poverty, the elimination of extreme global poverty, and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal of reducing by one-half the proportion of people worldwide, between 1990 and 2015, who live on less than $1 per day. as introduced.

Moderated Comment

Moderated Comment

Anonymous 11/30/2008 5:11pm

GUYS/GIRLS go to youtube and listen to clips by Max Keiser, Jim Rogers and Peter Schiff they will tell you what is really going down with the economic crisis. listen to all their clips. http://www.maxkeiser.com has an interview with Alex Jones that tells a LOT about the wall street crimes and who the NWO perps are that are in charge of this meltdown. (Goldman Sachs) also listen to pAT kILEY at http://www.patkiley.com his radio show is on Monday nights live for 1 hour. heard about this there. his shows are archived on his site, free signup and free archives. on the 11-17 show he covered how the govt ownership in banks will lead to demands that you as the mortgagee of a now govt. OWNED home or resident in a govt. OWNED mortgaged apartment complex will require you take a flu shot and/or not be allowed to own a firearm. you can guess that “not being able to buy” without the mark is not much farther down that road. also that show or the previous week he covered
the fact that the meltdown is intended to crash the dollar so the NAU can be implemented by 2010. North American Union. expect bank runs by Feb. i got a flyer 4 years ago from http://www.sovereignsociety.com
they predicted this crash in detail. they say they can offshore your money entirelly legally. pat kiley says the big boys make their from foreign currency deals. he offers similar deal. if you have a 401k you will lose it. if i had one, i would take it out as a loan right nopw and buy gold silver. regarding the NAU, EU, APEC, AFRICAN UNION, this quote from Joseph Stalin should clarify why they want these “unions”.

“Divide the world into regional groups as a transitional stage to world government. Populations will more readily abandon their national loyalties to a vague regional loyalty than they will for a world authority. Later the regions can be brought all the way into a single world dictatorship.”
- Joseph Stalin, Marxism and the National Question, 1942

now you know why Obama wouldn’t salute the flag for the Nation Anthem (search ‘obama explains’ on youtube, red background)

he wants the UN flag
think: why all the Will Smith as hero movies? preparation for a black leader?
think: Clinton bombed/invaded Yugoslavia from 1993 off & on til 1999.
EU ws formed in 1993, Euro dollar introduced 1999 (electronic version) then as paper coins in 2002.
now: we bombed/invaded Iraq since 2003, now there is talk of the Amero
being introduced. deadline for the NAU is 2010. you figure it out…

Pat Kiley and Glenn Beck, Alex Jones ect cover the NAU/UN takeover all the time.

i know a Bosnian girl. I told her we are in a deliberate financial crash to warn her. guess what, she already understood. she said they did the same thing to Bosnia (ect.) just before the war(s) there started.

meaning Goldman Sachs and friends probably cleaned the region out financially before they had Clinton and NATO sack and pillage it.

ABNU 02/19/2008 9:19am

Response to:
“The bill does not say how the US will do this and it certainly does not place any tax or other mandate on the Gov’t.”

unless the president is going to work on his own time, in a donated office using donated funds, it’s tax money. the government is not a charity, it takes your money and spends it on whatever it does. It owns nothing but debt, which is always passed along to us and ours.

So again, if you want to help people in other countries, go there and “fix” them. Be their leader, boil their water, show them how to find food and build shoe factories, bring condoms. Keep a list of all the poor souls you’ve helped and you may be able to get it deducted from your taxes, or it may get you into heaven—either way you won’t know til you try. Lead by example.

ABNU (anonymous but not unknown)

PS The only people who should even think about supporting this are people who have already spent years as an “in-country” volunteer for a foreign aid charity. To support it otherwise makes you a lazy hypocrite IMHO.

Anonymous 09/15/2008 12:56pm
in reply to Anonymous Feb 16, 2008 7:18pm

But I thought H.R.1302 mandates this. Looks like you missed something.

Anonymous 12/06/2008 11:07pm

PUT GODILY PRINCIPALS FIRST CHRIST JESUS THE FATHER GOD IN HEAVEN PLANS ALWAYS WORK, BUT MAN’S PLANS TWISTED LAWS AND MANIPULATION BY THE SPIRIT OF THIS WORLD ALWAYS CREAT FEARS AND THEIR WAYS LEAD TO DESTRUCTIONS CAUSE LACK OF GODILY WISDOM. TO MUCH KNOWLEDGE FROM THE ENEMY SATAN FRIUTS LYING CUNNING, DECEIVING,SELFISH, MURDERE AND DESTROYER, PRAY ITS OK TO GIVE TO THE POOR, FEED, CLOTH EDUCATE ALSO,THEN LAW OF GOD THE PRINCIPLE OF GOD IS THE LAW OF UNIVERSE, NOT FACIST, MARSCIST, NOT SOCIALIST, DEMOCRATE LIBERAL OR REPUBLIC,FALSERELIGIONS, EVEN THOUGH GOD IS A GOOD JUDGE AND JUST, HE LOVES US WE ARE HIS CREATIONS BUT HE WILL BE ALWAYS THE CREATORAND MAN HE KNOWS WHO TO BLESS, HE KNOWS THERE 885 MILLIONS PEOPLE LIVE LESS AND A US $ BUT HE KNOWS ALSO ABOUT EUROPE DOLLARS, THERE ARE GODILY PRINCIPALS IN LIVES WITH,PURITY,GOOD MORALES AND GIVING,HELPING, SOWING, LABOURING HARVESTING THANKSGIVING AND FEASTING, AND THERE IS A TIME FOR PRUNNIG FOR MUCH FRIUTS GOOD, FROM GOOD SEEDS NOT LABOURING ITSELF BUT GOOD SEEDS THAT COME FORM ONE TREE OF LIFE THAT CHRIST JESUS OUR SAVIOR, COUNSELLOR EMMANUEL, PRINCE OF PEACE, HEALER AND DELIVERER BUT WHEN YOU TAKE HIM OUT OF SCHOOLS, AND HIGH PLACES LIKE GOVERNMENT YOU SETTING YOURSELVES UP FOR THE ANTICHRIST MERGING ,COMPRIMISING WITH UNEQUALY YORK, WORDER WHY. FIRST YOU BEGAN TO BLAME AS SATAN WOULD, WITH FEAR AND PRIDE THEN GO WITH THE SELFISH MANIPULATION WAYS,THEN WHAT THE SEEDS IS CORREPTED FTROM THE VERY BEGINING WITH ITS OWN LIES FROM THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE. MAN WITH GOD IS DEAD AND HELL. THANK GOD FOR THE FOREFATHERS OF THIS NATIONS WAS GOD FEARING MEN, AND WE KNOW THAT THEY WERE PERFECT BUT ONE THINGS IS SUSTAINING US ARE THEIR PRAYERS OF MERCY THAT IN GOD CONVENANT IS A PROMISE A LIVING HOPE.DEAD HOPE IS DEAD HOPE IS NOT A LIVING HOPE LIKE PUNNING TIME OR A TRIUMPH OVER A TRIALS JUST CHRIST DID ON THE CROSS. ITS THE REAL DEAL HERE. NOT FANTASY HOLYWOOD, FASHION OF THE WORLD ITS TRUE PEOPLE OF GOD TRUE UNITY OF THE BODY OF CHRIST IN MANY NATION AND RACES AND COLOR IF YOU DON’T BELEIVE ITS BAD NEWS FOR YOU, JUDGEMENT IS ALREADY DONE WE BELEIVERS SHOULD LIVE AS COMMUNITY OF LOVE AND PURE, HEART, KIND IN COMMUNION WITH CHRIST NOT,PRAY FOR THE WISE, INTELLECT,PHILOSOPHERS,SCENTIST UNBELEIVERS UNGODILY POLITICAINS, LEADERS,AND INCLUDING RELIGIOUS LEADERS TRUE, PRAY FOR ISRAEL. AMEN. PROPHECIES ARE WARNING = BE PREPARE= AN IMPORTANT MESSAGESO WHERE THERE IS HUMBLENESS, KINDNESS LEAD TO REPENTANCE, PRAYERS THERE IS A LIVING LOVING GOD ONLY ONE TRUE LIVING FATHER GOD YAHEWBJEHOVAH GOD WE NEED TO PRAISE HIM HE SAID LOVE IS MORE POWERFUL THAN PROPHEC.BECAUSE WHEN WE WERE STILL SINNERS BUT YET CHRIST SAVED US WE ARE IN THE LAST DAYS BUT THE TRANSFER OF WEALTH OF THE WICKED WILL BE FOR THE JUST. 1PETER 1:1-9.PSALM33. PSALM 149.PROVERB13:13-25.MATHEW5:2-25.MATHEW24.(GENESIS1,2,3.) if don’t know the bible or The lord saythis prayer and mean it Dear Jesus Christ I CONFESS THAT AM ASINNER THAT FELL SHORT BEFORE OF THE GLORY OF GOD,SO LORD REPENT AND ACCEPTING THE FORGIVENESS FOR WHAT YOU GAVE AT THE CROSS I BELEIVES THAT YOU DIED AND ROSE AGAIN ON THE THIRD DAY SO I FORGIVE MYSELF AND OTHERS WHO DID WRONG AND TOSE WHOD DID ME FREELY FORGIVE LORD RIGHT NOW LORD JESUS COME TO MY HERAT FILL ME WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT BE THE GOVERNOE OF MY SOULAND SPIRIT THANK YOU FATHER GOD IN JESUS NAME AMEN NOW YOU ARE A CHILD OF THE TRUE GOD.

Anonymous 12/01/2008 2:30pm
“Below denmark and sweden provide” well I sure feel bad about that; Don’t want to come in second or third we’ll all “feel” better; if we give up more power.

And hence we have the divide in America which will bring about bloodshed… the liberal canon “What’s yours is mine because I think I know the best way to use it”. Get a clue and stay outta our lives.. Just start this socialist crap, and piss on the constitution. and we’ll give you “change”. We are free Americans not bound to any u.n. covenant. No fat cat politician can give our sovereignty away. The people won’t allow it. Fauning Libby’s Want to help Africa? get rid of the meddling oppressive dictators and let democratic capitalism rule so they can make their own economy.most of our relief food aid gets hijacked by the govt soldiers before it gets to the starving villagers.

Anonymous 12/06/2008 7:00am
in reply to Anonymous Dec 03, 2008 7:55am

“Hoo Hum?” If your life is so full, why are you trolling the blogs?

ABNU 03/18/2008 11:19pm
in reply to Ike Feb 22, 2008 11:50am

Ike, you start by saying no money will be spent, then you admit to 27 billion.

Not spent for reparations for Blacks, not spent to rebuild ghettos, not spent here for any reason.

“Just when I thought this nation couldn’t be dumbed down any more…”

Well, you for one could be a little better at math… 27 billion divided by 300 million Americans is not $27! Here’s a clue, it’s at least a million dollars each because, I’m fairly sure, 27 billion is bigger than 300 million.

…and if you give me my share directly, I promise I will hop on a plane and adopt 10 families, personally (as long as they like me—I will not adopt haters)*.

In any case, making pointless ‘feel good’ bills costs money. The people in Washington (duh, I think you smart people call them legislators) are not volunteers, so yes, this nonsense does cost money.

Again, you admit to 27 billion (with a ‘b’) dollars already being spent, so, I’m not sure where you get off calling anyone dumb. Being suspicious of government is never dumb.

I doesn’t matter that the bill is not the last step in actually spending the money. The bill that says the government can tap your phone without a warrant doesn’t actually target you in particular by listing your name and phone number on the bill, but you’re against that aren’t you? Now who’s wearing the tin foil hat?

As if the government doesn’t have better things to do than to listen your conversations. What’s that? Oh, it’s the principle of the matter? I’d like to agree with you brother, except:

“(because it doesn’t mandate spending a dime and it makes us feel good)”

See, that’s the problem, it doesn’t make me feel good at all. It scares me. So, if you support me in not threatening to take my money, I’ll support you in keeping your phone line, private.

I said it once, I’ll say it a million times, if you believe in foreign aid, use your money and go over there.

*Don’t force me to be a Christian, don’t force me to turn the other cheek and support people who hate me instead of Bush or the CEO’s of large corporations or their own leaders who live in luxury while the people starve. You keep talking about poor as if being in The States means I’m somehow immune from being poor. You’re not debating with the upper class here—we’re your neighbors—are you sure you want to break us? Because if you do, the only people left to help you are the upper class and something tells me you two don’t get along.

“he is a right wing hack funded by…”

Yes, we know both sides are forcing globalism on us. Clinton signed NAFTA.

“He targets the tinfoil hat crowd.”

You seem to know a lot about that crowd. I saw a movie where it took one to know one.

Anonymous 12/03/2008 7:55am

Hoo Hum….another blog sight….more hatred, more cursing one another, instead of rational discussion. You people REALLY need to get a life !

Anonymous 06/05/2008 4:41pm

Pay African farmers. The government gets our cash and pays their farmers. Right.

Most of these countries can pay their own farmers fine.

aindilis 09/20/2008 9:01pm

I vote against this bill, but not for the reasons you might think. I believe that the poor should be helped, but it seems to me that the United States would be incapable of helping them. The US is increasingly dominated by corporations, and it seems to me that these corporations are looking for laborers. Therefore they wish to mold these foreign poor into Americans – bent on mindless consumption, filled with corporate propaganda from the corporate Hollywood, and so forth. I think that these countries should be allowed to develop according to their own traditions. What the United States should do is pursue better economic and foreign policies. Look for instance at the extremely negative effect the US invasion of Iraq has had on their people. The Iraqi’s are a dispossed people, robbed of their natural resources by an unjust faction of militants who have seized control of the United States government. The true colors are shown here, and this gives away the intention that the United States has in this bill. Furthermore, the United States should not fight socialism at every turn. Socialism seeks to provide a better distribution of wealth in society. Capitalism does not. So the United States fighting socialism belies its intentions to help the poor. Look at what Chavez has done by investing his nations oil wealth in the poor. I write this article, not to be mean to the United States, but to accurately present what I believe would help the poor the most. I find that the United States seems to tailor its policy according to what benefits the rich more than the poor. If I am in error, I apologize.

ibrian 07/31/2008 11:37am

This bill is not necessary. Although, helping out the world is nice, but I think that we have more things to worry about in our own country.

nowosad 01/26/2009 7:14am
in reply to Anonymous Nov 25, 2008 6:13am

I find it interesting that kyou accuse others of being “dingbats” from the protection of anonymity.

Anonymous 12/12/2008 5:17pm
in reply to Anonymous Dec 05, 2008 2:35am

Um, he’s Mormon, not Christian.

aiwiron 11/13/2008 8:55am

I say no to funding the rest of the world and no more aid to any country.

Anonymous 07/03/2008 2:58pm

Currently, U.S. global development policies and programs are scattered across 12 departments, 25 different agencies, and almost 60 government offices. Increased coordination is sorely needed to be effective.

The Global Poverty Act, S.2433, is an authorizing piece of legislation which sets a directive for those departments under the Secretary of State to create a plan to address the first United Nations Millennium Development Goal.

This bill is NOT an appropriating piece of legislation that would direct any new funds (or global taxes) to United States foreign assistance. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that this legislation would cost less than $1 million to implement.

S.2433 does not prejudge what the strategy should be, only that a strategy should be created.

The Global Poverty Act does not subjugate the United States to the will of the United Nations. The strategy would apply only to those programs administered by the United States and the strategy would have complete Congressional oversight.

For more information on the myths related to this bill, please visit: http://www.bread.org/take-action…-fact- sheet.pdf.

For more information, you can easily read this bill at: http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/qu…emp/ ~c110vneZOT

Anonymous 12/07/2008 8:02am

I do not uderstans, I have read all of the bill i can find, and can’t find where it states that any thing but a report is what is requried.

cooley28 02/29/2008 6:27am

no no no! Don’t we have enough debt as a nation and no I wil not pay more tax. It is the responsibility of the other nations leaders to take care of their people. Instead of sticking the money in their pockets figure out a stimulas package that will bring agricultural or manufacturing business for their own wealth. why are we to be punished because our nations fore fathers fought to create an environment where men and women use their God given gifts to create wealth. Every nation has that ability but will not think of the people first. It is not our responsibility to be a baby sitter for the world..

Anonymous 03/11/2008 7:59am

The giving should be more American and less tax dollars going overseas. Iraq is winding down and the Congressmen who want to control foreign policy think that is done with US tax dollars going overseas. We need to keep the tax dollars in the US to help the homeless and poor.

Toolbox003 09/23/2008 7:22pm

If this bill passes the US will have to agree to the UN’s Millenium Declaration which has connotations all of their own. This would require the US to rewrite many of the laws that we hold near & dear to our hearts such as the 2nd amendment. The US would also have to agree to the Convention of the Rights of the Child, which was proposed in 1989 and the US is one of the last members of the UN that is refusing to sign this, and for good some very valid reasons. If this bill passes it will allow the UN to have more power over the US than it needs or should ever have. And on the poverty issue, the US needs to take care of the poverty stricken here at home before sending any more money oversea’s.

Anonymous 12/09/2008 12:18pm

I believe in helping others. However, I believe they should help themselves. The old addage, “Give a man a fish……” I believe if you WORK hard, and in an HONEST way, then you should be able to keep what you have earned. I do believe there are too many CEOs making far too much money for the amount of work they do. I also believe that some of the big unions are pricing jobs out of America. We should have a strong military to assure our freedoms, and we should be able to protect ourselves individually (and I’m speaking from personal experience). We need to have our choice of doctors, procedures, and insurance and should be able to afford our insurance. I don’t think insurance companies should be able to pick what you cover. If you have health insurance, it should cover your body…not one for the eyes, one for your teeth, etc. It is all part of your body. If you have home insurance, then your home insurance should cover you whether your house is damaged by fire, flood, tornado, etc. Back to health insurance….I have lived in countries which had “universal health care” and I could hardly wait to get back to the USA. The care was sub par in those other countries. The doctors didn’t care how you felt. They were going to get paid regardless of how well they did. They didn’t give anesthesia for a root canal because they weren’t paid any more for it. (Again personal experience). And you had to wait an eternity to have an appointment. I have also taught in a communist country (well, actually communism officially ended the year I got there but the mindset of the people and the governments hadn’t changed. The most difficult part of the job was to teach the children how to think on their own, to be creative. People being creative and being allowed to succeed (and FAIL)and individuals and companies competing for your attention are what create new vaccines, inventions, and better ways to live. We, as a nation, need to quit creating Victims of everyone. Help people, yes, but making them dependent on the government or you in not helping. It is destroying their ego, mindset, and enthusiasm for life.

gregn1 11/29/2008 1:10pm

To-“anonymous” Nov. 25 2008. I have no clue what definition you are using to determine these racists. People of many colors are against this bill. When the U.S. is in a position to supply prosperity to the rest of the world, fine. However, currently we cannot pay back the loans we have outstanding with other countries let alone fix the entire worlds financial problems. It has absolutely nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with the fact we are broke. If you add up all the taxes we pay it’s closing in on half of what we make. How much more of your hard earned money are you willing to give to the government to solve all the worlds problems when they can’t even solve some of the most basic ones here? We still have hunger, poverty, sickness. Hasn’t our government already pledged to eliminate all of these things? Obviously, you are not one of the people who is contributing to the money involved. Could it be that you are just one of the way too many holding out your hand to get “your piece of the pie”, and not struggling to get by like the rest of us. Why does the U.S. have to take the role of savior of the world.

Anonymous 11/30/2008 3:41am

Until we take care of the United States of America, how in the hell are we expected to continue to hand out money to help all these other countries. We are on a fast track to becoming one of these Third World countries that the Liberals are all in favor of saving? Who do you think is going to come to our aid when we become a Third World country? That’s right, nobody! As stated in posts before this one, there are many, many people in other countries that are looking forward to the demise of the United States. This Bill will do nothing but insure of demise takes the fast track. God Bless America, because we certainly need it!

Anonymous 11/30/2008 5:50am

When will we learn that morality cannot be legislated??!!

Wordsmith1218 11/30/2008 7:27am

S.2433 is simply good international policy; defining the U.S. commitment to a strategic global community and making a stronger effort toward a better informed people worldwide. Only through education and the lessening of poverty can we – as a free world – defeat the ignornace of terrorism and dictatorial hegemony. Creating wealth creates and promotes freedom and once this wealth is either denied or threatened will those rise against the dominance of an oppressive nation or society. S2433 was agreed upon nearly nine years ago, a US and UN supported statement that would work toward the end of global poverty by the year 2015 – America must honor the integrity of these commitments and demonstrate genuine leadership in this world.

kenj0418 02/11/2009 5:23pm
in reply to siliconcalley Dec 15, 2008 10:11pm

Well, in fairness, the lawn at the White House is really well-kept. I mean, like Hank Hill well-kept.

Anonymous 12/28/2008 3:38am
in reply to Anonymous Dec 26, 2008 2:46pm

Brigitte Bardot, Sushi, and a VERY strong millitary!

Anonymous 01/22/2009 1:24pm

Stop the madness! We have to stop this bill! The USA has it’s own poverty and economic issues that need to be addresses prior to massive additional global expenditures.

gaymac 11/28/2008 11:53am

I agree charity should begin at home, Would these people care about us ?
Most of these starving over populated countries just need birth control, Sterlization and abortion, that would slow down the over population, and help them take care of their selves. Our government needs to first care for the country threy were elected to protect

Send Your Senator a Letter