S.2433 - Global Poverty Act of 2007

A bill to require the President to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to further the United States foreign policy objective of promoting the reduction of global poverty, the elimination of extreme global poverty, and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal of reducing by one-half the proportion of people worldwide, between 1990 and 2015, who live on less than $1 per day. view all titles (3)

• Short: Global Poverty Act of 2007 as introduced.
  • Short: Global Poverty Act of 2007 as reported to senate.
  • Official: A bill to require the President to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to further the United States foreign policy objective of promoting the reduction of global poverty, the elimination of extreme global poverty, and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal of reducing by one-half the proportion of people worldwide, between 1990 and 2015, who live on less than $1 per day. as introduced.

Anonymous 05/06/2008 5:09pm

There are plenty of poor people here. We should take care of them first. We need this strategy for Americans.

Anonymous 05/06/2008 7:26am

GO AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!! ELECT HIM FOR PRESIDENT AND SEE WHAT ELSE HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous 05/05/2008 5:19am

The poverty levels in the countries of the world seem never to affect the leaders of those countries. Saddam Hussein didn’t seem to feel the pinch with all his palaces, Mexican politico’s don’t seem to be destitute nor do any other leaders who have populace’s suffering tremendous poverty. Why don’t these people be held accountable and perhaps replaced with leadership who will lead their people to self-sufficiency and out of the grips of poverty? It’s obvious the U. N. is either clueless or rueful of fulfilling this premise so maybe a new world agency needs to be developed that will address the real causes of world poverty.

pgboyajian 05/04/2008 12:04pm

America is the richest country in the world. We can promote peace by helping poor and very poor people in the world. We could pay for it easily if we stop the war in Iraq and use some of those funds to reduce poverty.

Moderated Comment

Moderated Comment

mcgovernsj46 04/10/2008 1:46pm
in reply to Anonymous Feb 15, 2008 12:11pm

You are wrong here. Please read the bill carefully and do not disseminate false or misleading information. The bill is good for America because it helps reduce extreme poverty in the developing world which lifts all boats, economically speaking. Your 7% figure is grossly exaggerated. The actually figure is .7 percent of the GNP which is a figure that the United States and the rest of the developed world pledged to provide in Official Development Assistance over 30 years ago, and we have never even approached aid at those levels. We are far behind most other developed countries in helping other less advantaged people around the world. Most of our so-called foreign aid goes for military aid for just two countries: Israel and Egypt. In absolute numbers our humanitarian aid seems generous, but in percentage of GNP it is far below what smaller developed countries like Norway and Sweden and Denmark provide. We give less in humanitarian aid because our defense budget requires so much, trillions and trillions of dollars. Now we have to protect the rest of the world that has cut their military exprenditures in favor of domestic spending on such necessities as universal health care coverage and good schools. We have lousy schools and a lousy health insurance coverage.

Lets downsize military expenditures and use the money for national health care and better schools.

Anonymous 04/08/2008 5:31pm
in reply to Anonymous Feb 14, 2008 11:54am

where are you guys getting the 845b from? i don’t see amount in bill

Anonymous 03/28/2008 1:45pm

Well… the United Nations did so well, with the poor in DARFUR … what is so wrong with sending into the World Bank another 65 billion a year.. Somebody help me?..isn’t the UN the same people that helped in the ‘oil for food program?’, and on and on… you really think the tax would end in 13 years?… ya.
“Get ‘U.S.’ out of the U.N.- now!”

Anonymous 03/27/2008 12:12pm
Totalitarianism comes in suppository form only. Let us take stock. U.N. control… Money(phonie) going out the door faster than it’s coming in… NO CONFIDENCE in either Dems or Repubs(same DNA)… 300 million poeple in this country and junk in the bailout/ ballot box… RFID chip tech.in our everyhting, dogs, cats, pets of all kinds, kids, horses(go ahead laugh you’ll need them when gas hits $8.00) our foreheads and our shorts… NO WEAPONS We have U.N. troops,and BACKWATER PUKES coming through our front doors. Going payday to payday feeding polititains. I don’t know wheather to stand up, lie done,bend over(again) or just pick the gold out of my own teeth and report to the furnaces. I/we hired these poeple to skipper my Ship of State, and they run her (on pourpose) on the rocks!! WE either have to stand up or go lay down. Where is Mr Jefferson? Mr. Pane? Will Rogers?
ABNU 03/18/2008 11:20pm
in reply to Ike Feb 22, 2008 11:50am

Ike, you start by saying no money will be spent, then you admit to 27 billion.

Not spent for reparations for Blacks, not spent to rebuild ghettos, not spent here for any reason.

“Just when I thought this nation couldn’t be dumbed down any more…”

Well, you for one could be a little better at math… 27 billion divided by 300 million Americans is not $27! Here’s a clue, it’s at least a million dollars each because, I’m fairly sure, 27 billion is bigger than 300 million.

…and if you give me my share directly, I promise I will hop on a plane and adopt 10 families, personally (as long as they like me—I will not adopt haters)*.

In any case, making pointless ‘feel good’ bills costs money. The people in Washington (duh, I think you smart people call them legislators) are not volunteers, so yes, this nonsense does cost money.

Again, you admit to 27 billion (with a ‘b’) dollars already being spent, so, I’m not sure where you get off calling anyone dumb. Being suspicious of government is never dumb.

I doesn’t matter that the bill is not the last step in actually spending the money. The bill that says the government can tap your phone without a warrant doesn’t actually target you in particular by listing your name and phone number on the bill, but you’re against that aren’t you? Now who’s wearing the tin foil hat?

As if the government doesn’t have better things to do than to listen your conversations. What’s that? Oh, it’s the principle of the matter? I’d like to agree with you brother, except:

“(because it doesn’t mandate spending a dime and it makes us feel good)”

See, that’s the problem, it doesn’t make me feel good at all. It scares me. So, if you support me in not threatening to take my money, I’ll support you in keeping your phone line, private.

I said it once, I’ll say it a million times, if you believe in foreign aid, use your money and go over there.

*Don’t force me to be a Christian, don’t force me to turn the other cheek and support people who hate me instead of Bush or the CEO’s of large corporations or their own leaders who live in luxury while the people starve. You keep talking about poor as if being in The States means I’m somehow immune from being poor. You’re not debating with the upper class here—we’re your neighbors—are you sure you want to break us? Because if you do, the only people left to help you are the upper class and something tells me you two don’t get along.

“he is a right wing hack funded by…”

Yes, we know both sides are forcing globalism on us. Clinton signed NAFTA.

“He targets the tinfoil hat crowd.”

You seem to know a lot about that crowd. I saw a movie where it took one to know one.

ABNU 03/18/2008 11:19pm
in reply to Ike Feb 22, 2008 11:50am

Ike, you start by saying no money will be spent, then you admit to 27 billion.

“Just when I thought this nation couldn’t be dumbed down any more…”

“(because it doesn’t mandate spending a dime and it makes us feel good)”

“he is a right wing hack funded by…”

Yes, we know both sides are forcing globalism on us. Clinton signed NAFTA.

“He targets the tinfoil hat crowd.”

ABNU 03/18/2008 10:26pm
in reply to Anonymous Feb 28, 2008 3:09am

“The US has oppressed peoples from all over the world, and has promoted slave labor and sweatshops so you freaks can buy crap at Walmart.”

Funny, we all seem to be against globalism. Didn’t I hear you rail against the buy American campaign because you wanted jobs for foreign workers?

“Poverty is real.”

See cat, see cat run. You’ve made daddy proud!

“And its now hitting us here in the US because big corporations want our US labor force to be slaves again.”

…still not sure how taking more of my money is a solution, but thanks for playing.

“Shut up. Idiots”

…a direct command from the king of idiots.

Anonymous 03/18/2008 3:13pm

America is being sold out by our politicians. Obama and all the others on the left are leading us into socialism and next communism. They want us dependant on them…that makes us helpless. As much as I dislike our so called conservatives we cannot let the dems take control. We at least have a chance with republicans.

Ike 03/18/2008 6:19am

Truly disappointing. When so many folks lack the basic skills to actually read the simple bill mentioned above and will believe anything they read in a blog…

Anonymous 03/17/2008 12:30pm
in reply to rburciar Feb 26, 2008 10:51am

dogman here. Rburciar – please explain to me why I am responsible for the citizens in New Orleans?

CVAZMOM 03/15/2008 1:50pm

This bill is not constitutional. America can only “fix” the world by example. Right now, we need a hellofa lot of fixin ourselves!

Anonymous 03/13/2008 3:49pm

The citizens of the U.S. need to elect Senators and Reps. who will address the problems of America and quit devoting all this time, money and energy to the other countries of the World. We cannot afford to support the entire world. We need to take care of America first and if we have anything left over then we can share it with our neighbor. Our elected officials can never figure out how to reduce taxation – their solution is always to apply more taxes to fix the problem. Maybe another TEA Party is in order.

Anonymous 03/13/2008 5:54am

This will be discussed in an upcoming book, “The World: A Foremost Quandary and its Abominable Domestic Affairs”© by Daniel Stanic III. It shall be good. oh yes.

Moderated Comment

Anonymous 03/11/2008 7:59am

The giving should be more American and less tax dollars going overseas. Iraq is winding down and the Congressmen who want to control foreign policy think that is done with US tax dollars going overseas. We need to keep the tax dollars in the US to help the homeless and poor.

heavensmagiclao 03/09/2008 7:18am

It is very disappointing to Heaven’s Miraculous Angelic Giving Inspirational Child, Inc., that our government spends 42 million dollars on letters about a tax refund, billions in Iraq, and yet the G.I.V.E. Act struggles for acceptance.

Heaven’s Miraculous Angelic Giving Inspirational Child, Inc. would thrive in a country that embraces the G.I.V.E. Act.

Service-Learning has immeasurable value!!

Check out “The U.T.O.P.I.A. Project” and discover the power of Service-Learning for yourself.

Pay close attention to the U.T.O.P.I.A. System and please listen to the beginning message.

If they don’t pass the G.I.V.E. Act, “We the People” will have to GIVE more of our tax money for prisons, GIVE more of our tax money for drug and alcohol abuse, GIVE more of our tax money for teenage pregnancy, and GIVE more of our tax money for welfare.

The G.I.V.E. Act and a proactive approach seems so much more logical, supportive, and responsible.

A vote for Service-Learning and support for Service-Learning will enrich this country, its youth, and its educators. It will also keep more money in your wallet in the long run.

When you realize how valuable Service-Learning is, please call your representatives and persuade them to pass the G.I.V.E. Act.

God Bless all who support the G.I.V.E. Act!

Sincerely,
Laura Ann Osterman
Founder and President
Heaven’s Miraculous Angelic Giving Inspirational Child, Inc.

Anonymous 03/05/2008 6:15am
in reply to kbone3 Mar 05, 2008 4:31am

kbone3: I’m not saying things aren’t bad here. I just don’t think helping foreign countries is at odds with helping ourselves. We can make things better here, and be good global citizens.

What you say is correct that other countries do not help us with our poverty problem. This is because we are lucky enough not to have the kind of poverty that this bill is seeking to address. (Other countries do, however, “help us.” The economic stimulus package that we have just voted to approve is going to be funded by loans from China. )

Moreover, we are not talking about helping other countries out when their citizens are losing their homes—which is what your comment seems to imply. We are talking about helping out people who don’t have enough to eat, let alone spent any money whatsoever on shelter of any kind (forget renting in even the most meager circumstances). These people are living in fields of reinforced cardboard boxes. To compare your circumstances (losing your home) to theirs (working all day and still not being able to feed your kid, let alone provide shelter for your family) is ludicrous and insulting to these people.

We will vote the Democrats into office, and things will get better here. But they will still be the same elsewhere in the world.

kbone3 03/05/2008 4:31am

To the person who commented above. When you lose your home because you are trying to help another country build theirs, who do you think is going to help you??? Don’t count on other countries to help you!

Anonymous 03/04/2008 10:09am

Reading the comments above makes me sad to be American. I am for a version of America that cares about the rest of the world. To the person who said, “But not before we fix our own house.” Should you really be fixing your house when other people don’t have one? Justice is not something that extends only to our own borders.

bigaxon 03/04/2008 3:15am

“I swear—by my life and my love of it—that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”

Now is the time… as ever….

lerichards 03/03/2008 5:10am

Dear Sir: The following is a very important concern of mine and others that are having the same experience as myself. I would like it know that this country or any other country cannot survive with such outrageous tactics. Spying, doing harm to Citizens of this great nation is most dangerous to the ongoing of civil liberties. It is most urgent that the Congress of this country take action against such activities. Sincerely, L E Richards
Harm done to U S Citizens

Satellites used by the U S Government for national security is being use for surveillance and harming U S Citizens
The Federal Government has placed in space, for national security reasons Space Stations to observe areas along the coast and throughout the country, thinking that we my be attacked by our enemies. Of course, some individuals in the Government, citizens too, believes that any and all means are necessary to protect and defend the citizens of this Great Nation, and I agree. The thing is, these Satellites can and are being used for seeking out and disrupting individuals from their normal everyday activities. Satellite technology is a dastardly thing to citizens in any country when that technology becomes a controlling factor to those citizens living “the pursuit of happiness’ dream.
I’m not crying out for myself alone. I am convinced others are being affected by the government, being spied upon and done harm. These satellites are affecting many of this country’s citizens, people who have no intention of disrupting the government. People I know and love, are being attacked and penetrated in a harmful way; and, I’m thinking, these citizens are unawares of what’s happening to them, not realizing their infirmity could and are being created by the U S Government Satellites program and their coordinators. I am personally dumbfounded at how many people I know, or had known, have illnesses that could very well be the result of harmful vibrations that originate from satellites.
I’m hoping you aren’t thinking “what an imagination, satellites doing harm to a United States citizen”? Naturally, not having any real proof on my part, I could refer to the News Media, where reports have come out that Satellites are capable of impeding citizens from their normal existence. I’m sure the people of this great nation would like to know if they said something, whether meaningful or off the cuff, with no intention of changing the society in which they live, that they could easily be tormented. Even government employees and elected office members could be under surveillance and done harm, without them even knowing it. Individuals can be located and monitored, in the home, driving a car, even grocery shopping; and, unless the individual becomes concealed and/or are no longer identified, they can be harmed by the U S Government Satellites Program. The End
lawrence Richards law_richards@yahoo.com
7272 landsdale st.
brooksville, fl.
352-585-5466

Anonymous 02/29/2008 3:43pm

He probably would like this law on the books so if he becomes President, it will give him a legitimate basis to start doling out our money to other countries … that is, more than we already are doling! How could anyone vote for someone who cares so little for the people of this country who are striving every day to get by? And, he is one that will push amnesty for the illegal aliens so we can have even more in poverty within our country.

cooley28 02/29/2008 6:27am

no no no! Don’t we have enough debt as a nation and no I wil not pay more tax. It is the responsibility of the other nations leaders to take care of their people. Instead of sticking the money in their pockets figure out a stimulas package that will bring agricultural or manufacturing business for their own wealth. why are we to be punished because our nations fore fathers fought to create an environment where men and women use their God given gifts to create wealth. Every nation has that ability but will not think of the people first. It is not our responsibility to be a baby sitter for the world..

jredd2 02/29/2008 5:05am

I have read the bill and believe that it is NOT the responsibility of the US to support the world. We have enough problems just feeding the people who need it in our own country. If this is the kind of person that wants to be president, we have a serious problem!

Send Your Senator a Letter