S.2833 - Owyhee Public Land Management Act of 2008
A bill to provide for the management of certain public land in Owyhee County, Idaho, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)
All Bill Titles
- Short: Owyhee Public Land Management Act of 2008 as introduced.
- Official: A bill to provide for the management of certain public land in Owyhee County, Idaho, and for other purposes. as introduced.
- Short: Owyhee Public Land Management Act of 2008 as reported to senate.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 1
- Past Seven Days: 3
- All-Time: 3,447
Official Summary6/16/2008--Reported to Senate amended. Owyhee Public Land Management Act of 2008 - (Sec. 3) Directs the Secretary of the Interior to establish the Owyhee Science Review and Conservation Center in Owyhee County, Idaho, to conduct research projects that address natural resources management i
Official Summary6/16/2008--Reported to Senate amended. Owyhee Public Land Management Act of 2008 -
(Sec. 3)Directs the Secretary of the Interior to establish the Owyhee Science Review and Conservation Center in Owyhee County, Idaho, to conduct research projects that address natural resources management issues affecting public and private rangeland in the county.
(Sec. 4)Designates specified land in Idaho as wilderness areas and as components of the National Wilderness Preservation System. Releases public land in the county administered by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) from further study for designation as wilderness. Sets forth provisions regarding the administration of the areas designated as wilderness, including with respect to:
(2) donation of grazing permits and leases;
(3) acquisition of lands and interests;
(4) access to private property;
(5) fish and wildlife;
(6) wildfire, insect, and disease management; and
(6) water rights. Withdraws the federal land designated as wilderness by this Act from all forms of:
(1) entry, appropriation, or disposal under the public land laws;
(2) location, entry, and patent under the mining laws; and
(3) disposition under the mineral leasing, mineral materials, and geothermal leasing laws. Requires the Secretary to establish a trail plan that addresses hiking and equestrian trails on the land designated as wilderness by this Act.
(Sec. 5)Designates specified creek and river segments within the county as components of the national wild and scenic rivers system. Bars acquisition by the Secretary of any private land within the exterior boundary of a wild and scenic river corridor without the owner's consent.
(Sec. 6)Authorizes the Secretary to sell public land within the Boise District of the BLM that has been identified for disposal in appropriate resource management plans. Sets forth requirements for the use of proceeds from the sale of such land. Terminates the authority provided under this section on the earlier of the date that is ten years after enactment of this Act or the date on which a specified total amount from the account is expended. Requires that, any amounts remaining in the account upon termination of such authority, shall be:
(1) credited as sales of public land in Idaho; (2 transferred to the Federal Land Disposal Account established under the Federal Land Transaction Facilitation Act; and
(3) used in accordance with that Act.
(Sec. 7)Directs the Secretary to coordinate with the Shoshone-Paiute Tribes of the Duck Valley Indian Reservation in the implementation of the Shoshone-Paiute Cultural Resource Protection Plan. Instructs the Secretary to seek to enter into agreements with the Tribes to implement the Plan.
(Sec. 8)Directs the Secretary to prepare one or more travel management plans for motorized and mechanized off-highway vehicle recreation for the land managed by BLM in the county. Requires the Secretary to conduct resource and route inventories of the area covered by the plan. Limits the use of such recreational vehicles to a system of designated roads and trails established by the plan, with the exception of snowmobiles. Expresses the intent of Congress that the Secretary complete:
(1) a transportation plan for the Owyhee Front by no later than one year after enactment of this Act; and
(2) a transportation plan for BLM land in the county outside the Owyhee Front by no later than three years after enactment of this Act.
(Sec. 9)Authorizes appropriations.
...Read the Rest