S.3314 - National Oceans Protection Act of 2008
A bill to protect the oceans and for other purposes. view all titles (4)
All Bill Titles
- Official: A bill to protect the oceans and for other purposes. as introduced.
- Short: National Oceans Protection Act of 2008 as introduced.
- Short: Ernest `Fritz' Hollings National Ocean Policy and Leadership Act as introduced.
- Short: Ernest "Fritz" Hollings National Ocean Policy and Leadership Act as introduced.
This Bill currently has no wiki content. If you would like to create a wiki entry for this bill, please Login, and then select the wiki tab to create it.
- Today: 7
- Past Seven Days: 52
- All-Time: 7,223
Official Summary7/23/2008--Introduced.National Oceans Protection Act of 2008 - Declares that the purpose of this Act is to secure for future U.S. generations a full range of benefits of healthy marine ecosystems.Specifies a national ocean policy and related principles. Requires each federal agency, as pos
National Oceans Protection Act of 2008 - Declares that the purpose of this Act is to secure for future U.S. generations a full range of benefits of healthy marine ecosystems.
Specifies a national ocean policy and related principles. Requires each federal agency, as possible and not inconsistent with other laws, to interpret and administer policies, regulations and laws in accordance with such policy. Ernest "Fritz" Hollings National Ocean Policy and Leadership Act - Reestablishes the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). States that:
(1) it shall be a civilian agency administered by an Administrator, who shall be appointed by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate; and
(2) there shall be transferred to the Administrator any authority that, before the date of the enactment of this Act, was vested in the Secretary of Commerce and pertains to the functions of NOAA. Establishes:
(1) a National Ocean Advisor and a Council on Ocean Stewardship in the Executive Office of the President; and
(2) a Presidential Panel of Advisers on Oceans and Climate.
Designates nine ocean regions to promote coordinated regional efforts to implement the national ocean policy. Requires the NOAA Administrator to establish or designate a Regional Ocean Partnership for each region and requires each Partnership to prepare a Regional Ocean Strategic Plan.
(1) the Committee on Ocean Science, Education, and Operations;
(2) a marine biodiversity research program;
(3) a network of regional Ocean Ecosystem Resource Information Systems;
(4) a national interagency ocean and coastal public education program;
(5) the National Ocean Science and Technology Scholarship Program;
(6) the NOAA Office of Education; and
(7) an educational partnership with minority-serving institutions.
Requires a national mass media campaign to increase public awareness of oceans.
Establishes the Ocean and Great Lakes Conservation Trust Fund.
Requires payments to coastal states for Regional Ocean Strategic Plan activities.
Requires the United States Postal Service (USPS) to print a special postage stamp to enable the public to help protect, maintain, and restore marine ecosystems.
...Read the Rest