S.3507 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008

A bill to provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. view all titles (3)

• Official: A bill to provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation. as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2008 as introduced.

• Anonymous 10/03/2008 11:13am

According to The New York Times, the House passed the bill, but the Senate has adjourned until 2009. Billions for Wall Street; nothing for Main Street.

Anonymous 10/03/2008 11:30pm

The Senate adjourned until Monday, they are meeting @ 3PM, we need to call, faxx, e-mail, whatever to get them to vote on the UIE Bill.

• Anonymous 10/08/2008 6:25am

Here we go again, reprieved by the June passage of the unemployment extension bill. I did not know that I would still need another in October of 2008. I have been out of work since December 07, I have used up my savings, my 401k is almost depleated because of the economy, I am 58 years old and the way it looks right now I may just lose everything I have worked for if we don’t get some relief. Maybe less committees and more working on helping us out of work with few options left.

hotcitykitty2 10/08/2008 11:05am

-—————————————————-
    yep, i am with ya …

Anonymous 10/14/2008 7:02am

I agree with the less committes needed. But ALSO less BILLS needed. Why in the heck can’t Obama get the 2544 bill that he cosponsored that was introduced in January through????
    Why is he introducing ANOTHER one just to glorify himself??
    We’re the PAWNS in the Democrat/Republican war!!!!!

I’m SICK of this. Don’t they realize that they’re ASSURING nearly a MILLION MORE mortgages being foreclosed by not extending our benefits??

• Anonymous 10/09/2008 3:43am

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous 10/14/2008 7:04am

This is RIDICULOUS – they’re bailing out corporations and banks.
    Why not an AMNESTY on 50% of OUR mortgages and credit cards?

• Anonymous 10/14/2008 1:02pm

Unemployment rates are rising, 8000,000 have exhausted benefits. We need extended unemployment benefits for those who have exhausted all benefits, for another 13 weeks and an increase in the amount of unemployment…benefit amounts have not increased in over 5 years…

We need help for the unemployed so they don’t end up homeless, and unable to pay mortgages and bills until they have new jobs..

• Anonymous 10/14/2008 1:03pm

Congress needs to pass unemployment extensions now not after nov. 4…

• Anonymous 10/14/2008 9:28pm

Congress needs to stop dwelling on the corporate bail-out and concentrate on the out-of-work middle class who are in dire need right now. The benefits will be running out soon…we need this emergency extension passed any way they can do it. Come on, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Debbie Stabenow & Sander Levin…WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW!!!!! We are desperate and don’t have time to waste…we still have bills to pay…expedite this…PLEASE HELP US!!!!!

• Anonymous 10/14/2008 9:30pm

Congress needs to stop dwelling on the corporate bail-out and concentrate on the out-of-work middle class who are in dire need right now. The benefits will be running out soon…we need this emergency extension passed any way they can do it. Come on, Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid AND Debbie Stabenow & Sander Levin in Michigan…WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW!!!!! We are desperate and don’t have time to waste…we still have bills to pay…expedite this…PLEASE HELP US!!!!!

• Anonymous 10/15/2008 2:47pm

SWEET LITTLE BUCKEYE MOONPIE,

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING?

ALWAYS FAITHFUL TO THE CAUSE,

YOUR ONE & ONLY

SILLY BOY

• Anonymous 10/15/2008 2:57pm

Companies around the US continue to downsize and cut jobs.

Today the Dow is down 700 points.

Bushy Boy and his Congressional Cronnies spend $700 billion on a Bailout that continues to fail miserably. The Greedy Wallstreet Executives win out and go cowardly on their way

Now, the burden to repay the $700 Billion so called failed “Bailout” will rests on the shoulder’s of Mainstreet Americans who during this terrible economy may or may not even have a job.

The $700 billion equates to over $5,000+ owed by every man, woman, and child in the United States.

There are so many more important issues we could be using this money for to better the world we live in.

Additionally, there is absolutely no guarentee in anyone’s mind that this $700 Billion used for the “Bailout” will even solve the problem!

Just another cluster @#%^ incident that Bushy Boy and his Republican Cronies continue to perpetuate "Working Harder, Not Smarter and screwing over the middle class!

And where has Bush been over the past week…

Bush needs to show some balls and act like a leader instead of hiding behind closed doors in the White House!

Bush needs to appologize to the American People for this debacle on National TV and address the concerns and problems he and the Republican Jack @!%’s caused with their so called

“Wild,Wild,West Trickle Down Economic Plan of Disaster!!!”

Thanks for nothing Bushy Boy…

By the time it’s all over we just may consider you a terrorist!!!!

And Dick Cheny’s irregular heart beat is only his irregular concious finally catching up with his corrupt ass!

• Anonymous 10/22/2008 4:40am

So when (after the election) is the Senate vote expected to be? Sounds like Bush will sign right away.

• Anonymous 10/24/2008 9:31am

what the hell is going on? i have been out of work since aug 07,my 401k, savinging are gone,i live in michigan close to detroit,i get an interview,and there are 10 to 15 people there for that one hour slot!im really close to losing my house,my wife only makes 9,25 an hour,we cant live on that,and forget about any kind of state aid,i have tryed,she makes too much money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i an sitting here looking at the tailpipe of my car,wondering if i can afford to buy a hose to hook up to it,,I WILL NOT BE HOMELESS!i have worked and paid taxs for 34 yrs, now when i need help theres nothing anyone can do.wtf is wrong with bush saying we need to find jobs? there arnt any,i think i can make it another month,then its all over for me.

• Anonymous 10/27/2008 7:47am

SC has the 3rd highest unemployment rate in the US, yet our senators voted nay (the one who showed up). We are also near the bottom of the list for education and near the top for cancer rates, obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Looks like our politicians need to remember that they are supposed to serve the public, not the other way around!

• Anonymous 10/27/2008 7:51am

Try being an unemployed single mom ,MR. Bush! Every politician should have to live my life for a month before running for office. Might give them a different perspective!

• Anonymous 10/27/2008 7:52am

And I’ve survived late stage cancer, yet have no health insurance

• Anonymous 10/30/2008 6:07pm

Oct 30 LIVE TV News said that extending unemployment compensation was in emergency stance and being addressed. Where’s it at NOW? Why would Congress bail out (criminals are bailed out) Wall Street, executives of banks getting bonuses and golden parachutes in bankruptcies BUT Congress not giving $10 Billion to Main Street (us unemployed needing extension of unemployment compensation NOW). The CAUSE of the USA economic crisis in real estate and stock market is offshore and outsourcing of USA jobs. SOLUTION is to give USA jobs back to USA Americans. Congress should ASAP pass Bill to make offshore/outsourcing, H1-B/Visa immigrants taking jobs in lower pay rates and illegal immigrants(Mexicans) taking all labor jobs in highway and bridge construction as well banned and criminal actions. Enforce the Bill (corporate fines & arrests) and STOP cheap labor foreigners(India & China & Mexico) from taking our jobs. The Columbia Trade Agreement is another NO NO like NAFTA. Where are we USA Americans at? The greed of a handful of wealthiest USA Americans is destroying the USA.

• Anonymous 11/05/2008 8:04am

Ok, the election has ended. Now how fast can we the people be heard. We need the unemployment extension now not in January or whenever. This bill must be passed. these economic nightmare times have now got to be addressed and we need help immediately along with a long term approach.

• Anonymous 11/10/2008 6:54am

Unbelievable (lol) these fat rich bastards sitting in their mansions really have the nerve to take their sweet time and not even consider PASSING the SECOND economic bill, before X-MAS. We need these 13 more weeks, we NEED HELP. Stop helping the rich and extend your help down to us. Its easy for them since they dont have to worry about being presents for their kids, they have all the money in the world. ITS GOING TO BE A SAD SAD holiday.

• Anonymous 11/10/2008 6:55am

buying presents***

• Anonymous 11/10/2008 7:04am

YOU GUYS HAVE it bad? Try living in RI the WORST DAMM state in the WHOLE USA 50/50. The highest unemployment rate of almost 9.0%. Finding a job here is pretty much like winning the LOTTO. They can hand out 40 billion dollors to AIG ontop of whatever they gave them before.

Pass a 700 billion dollar bailout bill in less than a week, and NOW considering BAILING OUT THE auto MAKERS yeah, yet they cant pass another 13 weeks to the unemployed people needing help especially for this horrible holiday months.

F3%cking Bush he cares about no one but himself and the rich everyone is garbage. The AMERICAN AUTOMAKERS are dying becuase no one wants their cars, maybe if they start making reliable cars they wont be where they are, stop BAILING OUT THIS COMPANIES and help the PEOPLE.

• Anonymous 11/11/2008 5:41pm

I have had to borrow money from my children…. dang it from my kids. I need that unemployment extension, I have no more 401k, no more savings, I can’t pay my rent this month. By Christmas I will be living in my car. I need help now!

desperate in Washington State

• Anonymous 11/13/2008 5:29pm

The funny thing is that this is nothing but a domino effect on the bail outs for the Big 3 when the financial company was going under the Big 3’s financing was failing as well so they was going to need Bail Out on some level but I think that the automakers though that once the financial industy was back on the right track they would help the auto industry get one their feet but that wasn’t the issut and that was because they are so busy helping Bush and his crew get a kick back from the back jus like with the oil company’s

Bush created and his cronies created this big mess if you weren’t a oil company you didn’t make money in the last 8 years. Now all these people are jobless but his stupid press secretary is telling people they need to get back to work because the abundance of jobs out there. I hate having to depend on unemployment but I am not going to live in my car because Bush feels that “people need to get back to work” I have been on 20 interview for jobs that I would let a teen work and it has been at least 60 people applying and interviewing for those jobs let me think should we let the Big 3 fail just because Bush isn’t getting anything out of it. This extension needs to pass asap because I see people not having a good holiday this year.

• Anonymous 11/13/2008 5:36pm

The funny thing is that this is nothing but a domino effect on the bail outs for the Big 3 when the financial company was going under the Big 3’s financing was failing as well so they were going to need a Bail Out on some level but I think that the automakers thought that once the financial industy was back on the right track they would help the auto industry get one their feet but that wasn’t the issue and that was because they are so busy helping Bush and his crew get a kick back from the financial industry just like he got with the oil company’s

Bush and his cronies created this big mess if you weren’t a oil company you didn’t make money in the last 8 years. Now all these people are jobless but his stupid press secretary is telling people they need to get back to work because the abundance of jobs out there yeah that is the way to go get back to work america. I hate having to depend on unemployment but I am not going to live in my car because Bush feels that “people need to get back to work” I have been on 20 interview for jobs that I would let a teen work and it has been at least 60 people applying and interviewing for those jobs let me think should we let the Big 3 fail just because Bush isn’t getting anything out of it. This extension needs to pass asap because I see people not having a good holiday this year.

• Anonymous 11/16/2008 3:46am

I have a challenge for you! You can TYPE about it here.

COPY & PASTE <“http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-s2544/show
    navtab=comments&comment_sort=newest”>

Or you can TALK about it here.

COPY & PASTE <“http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-s2544/show
    navtab=comments&comment_sort=newest”>

Or You Can Do Something About It Here! Now! Today! Immediately!

COPY & PASTE >>> http://www.Incomeupgrader.com <<<

After review PLEASE RETURN AND REPLY TO:

>>> http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-s2544/show

navtab=comments&comment_sort=newest <<<

OR site >>> http://www.Incomeupgrader.com <<<

Your choice, .50 full or .50 empty.

• Anonymous 11/18/2008 8:22am

Our family is facing fore closer on a house that has lost 30% of its value from when we bought it 2 years ago. We put all our savings into it at 6% 30 year loan and now we cant sell it even at a huge loss. Without an extension of unemployment benefits we cant support our home with one income. Im so stressed out. We have no money left. We have gone though all our raining day savings. What will Christmas be like for our children?
    What happens now?
    All those years we saved for a house. Keeping up perfect credit. Thinking we would be live the American dream. Now were will we end up? Homeless, broke and bad credit.
    What do we do?

• Anonymous 11/18/2008 6:05pm

very simply if this bill is not passed by Thursday and if Bush vetoes it, I am lost. I will be evicted from my apartment. I have tried to sell furniture, but my checking account is depleted, my social security check is inadequate to the area I live in and I have been out of work since January 15. I exhausted the 39 weeks in late October. All the charitable organzations have been exhausted and though I am looking for a decent job possibly with the new administration (I am very learned and have Fed gov experience), I cannot wait for Obama to become president. The whole world seems to be waiting for him. Anonymous And this too is a pity; that in America, poverty is so despised that we all have to be anonymous to comment on the Senate bill.

• Anonymous 11/18/2008 6:09pm

if this bill does not go through, since my benefits stopped in late October, I will be evicted and I am 71 and sick. I lost my job in early January 2008 and my social security check is inadequate for the area in which I live, as is the weekly unemployment check, but together they allowed me to live. now I dont know.

Send Your Senator a Letter