H.R.1106 - Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009

To prevent mortgage foreclosures and enhance mortgage credit availability. view all titles (5)

• Official: To prevent mortgage foreclosures and enhance mortgage credit availability. as introduced.
  • Popular: Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Nationwide Mortgage Fraud Task Force Act of 2009 as passed house.

• snydes45 04/20/2009 3:34pm

Am I to be punished for reading the terms of my loan and checking it out for myself? No one wants to be held accountable. Everyone wants to blame it on Fannie or Freddie or the Banks but it is the people. An equal share needs to be put on each side in the contract. The government shouldn’t get involved in the contract period.

• NanaG 04/25/2009 9:17am

I feel sorry for the people that are losing their homes. However, forcing the banks to take a write-down of the principle balance is ridiculous! If the interest rates are userious than yes…have them renegotiate and make it easier to refi..without all the $$$ added to it for their time – make the loan fees reasonable…. I have worked hard all my life to get my house paid for and don’t feel I should have to subsidize someone else’s mortgage.

• myfam 04/25/2009 9:37pm

Don’t you realize this bill will help both of you?
    Right now you have already been punished, and have already subsidized the actions of others…
    You are already paying for it with the loss of value in your investments, and you are about to loose another chunk, unless this bill passes and the foreclosures are stopped. The bill will not cost taxpayers a cent, it only avoids the stupid lenders and servicers from choosing to foreclose instead of modify the the loan, The loss has occured already, but with the foreclosure it brings down the neighborhood value, with the cramdown the value stops falling, Are you bright enough to get this?

• katherinewatterson 04/27/2009 11:58pm

The people of this country need to be fiscally responsible as does the government. If people would have paid their debts as promised, our country wouldn’t be in the econimic mess its in.

• myfam 04/28/2009 8:23am

It is hypocrisy to allow banks to get bailed out and then demmand fiscall responsability from consumers that fell victims of the banks.

• henhousefox 04/30/2009 1:46pm

Congress: Just stop spending money we do not have!!!

• Erwi31 06/01/2009 6:11am

What is really interesting is that Obama indicated on one of the sunday talk shows that the “united states is out of money”. So why do we continue to print it? Why are we spending something we do not have? I see a huge bankruptcy down the line, like that back in the 1930’s
    My question to you all is? What is defined as a recession and what is defined as a Depression? And if we believe that congress or our government should make that call, why?; they are the ones who put us into this mess in the first place.

• nsbishop74 02/13/2010 4:17am

They are offering modifications! The bank offered to add 16 years to my mortgage. What a deal! How is putting me into more debt helping? They also said they could possibly lower my interest rate too! But only after giving me a 40 yr. mortgage and they wouldn’t tell me what that rate would be. I already have a 5 3/8% rate. And when I asked, I was told that they didn’t do "the hope for homewoner’s program.’ I was not irresponsible. I had excellent credit my whole life. I put 20% down on a conventional mortgage on a home I had planned to raise my family in. Even after a divorce and taking out a second mortgage to buy the ex out of his share of the equity(when the house still had positive equity!)I didnt mind working the ot every weekend and working midnights to work towards a future for my children and myself. I was working towards something! Now what? What am I working towards? My neighbor just payed half of what I paid for my home. And he got a credit!