H.R.1409 - Employee Free Choice Act of 2009

To amend the National Labor Relations Act to establish an efficient system to enable employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to provide for mandatory injunctions for unfair labor practices during organizing efforts, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Employee Free Choice Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To amend the National Labor Relations Act to establish an efficient system to enable employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to provide for mandatory injunctions for unfair labor practices during organizing efforts, and for other purposes. as introduced.

flemingtonteaparty 05/02/2009 2:45am
in reply to heatherrm Apr 02, 2009 8:33pm

Uh, yes. I once worked for the AP, and was a member of The Newspaper Guild. When I first started there, I was badgered each and every day by at least 2, sometimes more, various employees, telling me that I should join the union. It was never a “free choice”. It was clear to me that that was the way it was, and if I wanted to “get along” in that workplace I had better join, so I did. And all I got for it was dues taken out of my paycheck.
And you have GOT to be kidding when you say that dues are not used for campaign contributions!

Filtered Comment [ show ]

mitchpamf 04/07/2009 4:45pm

More Orwellian “Newspeak.” Secret ballots provide workers with a choice to vote out unions. If you had been successful in passing this abomination against American liberty, your “Employee Free Choice Act” would bring terrorism to any and all who oppose the adoption of unionized heavy-handed tactics.
Thank God for the responsible legislators that still believe in Freedom and real-Choice in America.

callagan 04/08/2009 6:28am

Calling this a “Free Choice Act” is something out of George Orwell 1984..this is not FREE CHOICE at all, and if truth in labelling were in effect should be called the “Employee Intimidation by Union Act”

NanaG 04/25/2009 11:31am

I personally think the time for unions is past. We have enough laws on the books where people are paid fairly. Unions are what has bankrupted the car companies. This will just give them more opportunity to pressure the workers into joining. Takes away their right to privacey in their vote.

callagan 04/08/2009 6:41am
in reply to sinout044 Mar 15, 2009 4:16pm

you mean “power to the union”?

flemingtonteaparty 05/02/2009 2:49am
in reply to Autotech64 Apr 30, 2009 5:22pm

Well, actually, none of the things you listed are “rights”. You have the right to find a better job if you don’t like the one you have now, since you have the right to determine your own destiny. But no one has a “right” to fair wages, benefits, a safe environment, and job security. These are things you have to earn for yourself.

deborahg6 03/31/2009 6:30am

Good grief! If there ever was a bill that proved the Democrats court the Union and their votes….here it is. Just look at the sponsors. There is absolutley nothing good about this bill.

adamchristiaan 04/03/2009 7:49am
in reply to sinout044 Mar 15, 2009 4:16pm

They already have the power to form a union. All this does is open up a majority to the harassment of a 30% minority.

snydes45 04/03/2009 8:39am

I see everyone talking about what the employee is concerned with. But if I have a lot of money and I want to open a factory do I really care about them? NO! And I shouldn’t aside from their ability to get me where I want to be. I pay them to provide the labor that I need. That means that I am in control not them. If I get out of hand and offer to low of salaries then my competitor will pay more and get my most talented employees. The fact that unions exist is laziness. People don’t want to earn their keep. If there was such an advantage to being union then private schools wouldn’t be better than public, foreign autos not better than domestic, and so on.

justanothervoice 04/15/2009 6:40am
in reply to jayneedshelp Apr 10, 2009 2:41pm

Jay, why is it assumed that every job should pay enough for a family to live well? Are you assigned that job by the government or do you have a choice to go and find a job with better pay and conditions?

I admit it would be simpler for everyone if every job paid the same and no one needed to take responsibility for their own fate.

But for me, I think I would rather make the choices myself.

justanothervoice 04/08/2009 11:27am
in reply to heatherrm Apr 02, 2009 8:33pm

If all things worked as they should, a union would in fact represent the “worker”. And if all things worked as they should, an employer should do the same.

Yet the world is far from the way it should be. The union organizer has one goal, that is to generate membership. the history of union intergrity and and corporate integrity are the same, and that is many are very good, and many are exceptionally self serving.

But one important question. When voting for union leaders, do you require that 30% of your membership request a secret ballot, or is it your right to cast a secret ballot?

Filtered Comment [ show ]