H.R.1676 - PACT Act

To prevent tobacco smuggling, to ensure the collection of all tobacco taxes, and for other purposes. view all titles (7)

• Short: PACT Act as introduced.
  • Short: Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To prevent tobacco smuggling, to ensure the collection of all tobacco taxes, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: PACT Act as reported to house.
  • Short: Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 as reported to house.
  • Short: PACT Act as passed house.
  • Short: Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 as passed house.

• kbfreedom 03/27/2009 9:51am

Seriously? Our country is worried about tobacco “Smuggling”, so that they make sure it gets taxed?

• AlphaOmega 05/19/2009 11:31pm

They say that terrorists fake the burns and or stamps and then say that it is a TAX issue?? I’m not a smoker but this bill smells pretty funny to me. If you drive to some other state to save money you are probably a terrorist? I didn’t read that but I’ll bet if you go through the bill there is something like that. Most of the current bills are unconstitutional and communistic now so it would not surprise me. Heck the BATF&E is in no way constitutional.

• jml6m 05/21/2009 7:56pm

Unnecessarily meddling with the free market.

BenjaWiz 11/18/2009 6:26am

free market is already dead I don’t know if will ever see it again in the same form.

• Whackamole 05/26/2009 7:05am

I agree with jml6m with a “Ditto bigtime” – This is absolute control of and meddling with the free market and MY choice of who, and when and where I buy whatever it is I want whether it be foreign or domestic.

Did these folks not see the writing on the wall when they unfairly taxed cigarettes locally? Free Market is just that … you forced us to buy foreign. Now you are messing with the Indians, AGAIN! Remember Prohibition?

• Whackamole 05/26/2009 7:08am

The entire bill stinks. It wreaks worse than an ashtray! It begs the question what’s next? Tomorrow they will want to regulate and Tax our bowel movements. The overweight are being penalized, smokers are being unfairly taxed, both have no place in the proposed National Health care bill. Eugenics is no longer on the horizon, it is rearing it’s ugly head. There is no end to their supreme control.

All of this has been a well calculated maneuver stealthily executed and by some of the worst control freaks I have ever seen. Seems to me the inept running Washington are begging for an all out Revolution!

I truly did not think that I would live to see this day [these days] come to fruition. I sincerely fear for my kids, my grandchildren. “We The People” are being Terrorized and by our own government, etal.

• kerrie 06/21/2009 6:08am

i could give a thousand reasons why this bill should not be passed into law ~ over a thousand people in my small city work at a native owned mail order smoke shop, including me. other than smoke shops, there aren’t many job opppurtunities here. we will lose our jobs, health insurance, etc. additionally, there will be unspoken job losses ~ postal workers, truck drivers, etc. instead of contributing to our already weakened economy, we will become a burden. the cost of unemployment benefits cannot be justified in any way. mostly, this bill is just a back door for the states to hinder native american free trade agreements. the states think they will collect millions of dollars in tobacco taxes. they will tell you it’s an effort to stop us from smoking. they will tell you many things, but what they won’t tell you is the truth. this bill will cost billions of dollars to enforce. it’s time our representatives represented us… tell them to vote NO!

• kerrie 06/21/2009 6:10am

PS… i called my NY state senators to see where they stood on this bill. they acted like they didn’t know what i was talking about. funny, according to this website, BOTH of them are co-sponsors. :(

BenjaWiz 11/18/2009 6:29am

Kerrie they are going to sneakily pass it I bet keep your eyes wide open on this bill.

• Veganpunk 06/24/2009 8:28am

This blows. I just found Swed. Snus which is 98% less harmful then cigarettes, (I know it’s still not good for you, but it’s at least better) and I stumble unto this. This is just pure greed from the American tobacco companies. Snus has helped me quit smoking, but where I live, I have to get it in the mail. This is not preventing children from trying tobacco, it’s harming adults who are trying to quit. Ever since Camel has came out with Camel SNUS, a lot of smokers have researched it, and found out about Swedish snus, and have quit using American processed tobacco. You do the math.

• danarothrock 03/26/2010 8:44pm

The Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act of 2009 (“PACT Act”) (S.1147) passed the Senate with a unanimous vote on March 11, 2010. On March 17, 2010, it passed the House. President Obama will sign it into law very soon. After Pres. Obama signs the bill, we will have 90 days until the bill takes effect. This legislation contains a provision which will make ALL cigarettes, RYO, MYO and smokeless tobacco products nonmailable.
    This law means you will no longer be able to purchase these products by mail-order, telephone order, or on the Internet, because the United States Postal Service, along with UPS, Fed-Ex and all other carriers will be prohibited by law from delivering your orders to you.

• Daper 05/31/2010 3:23pm

Don’t our lawmakers have anything better to do than to order us around with this nonsense. This is the most ridiculous bill I ever heard of and I think it is an absolute shame that prohibiting delivery of cigarettes (especially for those who are shut-ins)is abhorrent. God help us.