H.R.1826 - Fair Elections Now Act

To reform the financing of House elections, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: To reform the financing of House elections, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Fair Elections Now Act as introduced.

• missliberty 01/29/2010 8:18am

More than 20 years ago, President Carter warned that the flow of money into washington and the resulting influence of special interests would destroy our democracy. I believe it has already happened.

I hope I live to see the day when Congress is eliminated completely and every vote is a direct vote from the PEOPLE of the United States. I think at least there should be a very LARGE visual at each senators desk showing how the people he is supposedly respesenting would vote. I think this might be a lot harder to ignore when our PUBLIC SERVANTS are voting on bills before congress. We have the technology to do this. If I can pay my credit card bill on line, from funds from my checking account why the hell can’t I use my computer to cast a vote?

Now is the time for our Public Servants to be held more accountable for their actions. I want to know where they are, and who they are meeting with and what money is changing hands.

• missliberty 01/29/2010 8:20am

Do you know where your Congressman is?

Would you let your secretary just wander out the door when ever she wanted and without any explanation as to where she was going or when she was going to be back?

• nmeagent 01/31/2010 1:57pm

The problem we have is individuals with lots of capital paying politicians to use government to benefit them and skew the playing field. If the government is not able to do so in the first place, you’ve eliminated much of the problem. Likely there would still be some way of skewing the system, of course, but at this point perhaps the courts could actually be given a chance to work. Justice would be on a much better footing with a less corruptible system.

nmeagent 01/31/2010 1:58pm

Whoops, this is supposed to be part 2 of a response to spender down there.

• spender 02/04/2010 6:25pm

I would disagree that the only purpose of government is to protect the people’s liberties. I also disagree that only the “vast majority of power” belongs to the people. I would say that all the power belongs to the people, and that government is (or should be) the people’s tool to wield power for democratically directed goals.

I don’t want power to be wielded solely by individuals who have no obligation to consider what effects their actions may have on others. Being subjected to the power of others, without having the ability to seek redress for any wrongs, is authoritarian; it’s the definition of the law of the jungle.

Besides securing basic liberties, government must allow the people to manage society democratically. If government becomes a power unto itself, it will manage society dictatorially. But if properly democratic, it’s far better than the capriciousness of 300 million individual authoritarian powers.

But I’m a socialist, you’re a libertarian, so we argue. C’est la vie.

spender 02/04/2010 6:30pm

Oops. This comment was supposed to be a reply on the next page. Could one of the mods delete it? I had it in the regular comment box to check the character count and hit “post” by mistake.

Sorry.

• ACDoty 02/09/2010 10:51pm

The major defect I see is that candidates have a choice to opt out of this system of campaign finance.

• mkail666 03/03/2010 9:40pm

If a candidate opts into this system are they automatically less corrupt? If a candidate can raise the same amount of money with fewer donations does that make their corruption easier to detect? We blame the politicians for taking so much corporate money and favoring their needs over the people’s needs, yet we still vote them back into power.

Why mess with these paltry compromises? We can just have someone take our money, give it to the best candidates, and have them campaign to an independent commission that will do all of our research and vote for us.

• kombatandfw 04/23/2010 12:06pm

I see almost no bipartisan support on this. I have to ask why that is. I am wondering if the current climate means the party supporting this feels they are going to be lacking funds?

• Warno000 05/26/2010 7:38pm

This bill gets nothing done except to give the government a little more financial and regulatory control over how elections are conducted. I agree that the corruption of elections by corporations and special interest needs to be remedied. I can’t support this bill, however, because it doesn’t propose a real solution. If you want to truely even the playing field, than you a)need to make this system mandatory; b)completely rule out private contribution to specific campaigns by either making all private contribution go into the same “Fund” pot, or completely eliminating private contribution totally by making it illegal, and actually enforcing it (a thing our gov’t seems unable to do in many cases).

For me, its not enough to go a step in the right direction, because it does nothing but give the government added control without accomplishing the objective of making elections more fair. Again, I agree with the notion, but can’t support this method of accomplishing it.

• moionfire 09/17/2010 8:36am

I support this bill but it should cover the senate also !! All of congress should have public money sufficient to cover radio and tv ads plus direct mail. This would get rid of the time they waste kissing corporate behind.

• MadamSalahElDin 12/02/2011 9:50am

I wonder if this website needs to be updated. The Fair Elections Now bills currently in Congress, as I understand it, are HR1404 and S750, not HR1826. Perhaps someone can give me a fill on the history of these numbers and how it works. HR 1826 now seems to relate to Indian affairs.

Thanks