H.R.1913 - Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009

To provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosecute hate crimes, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosecute hate crimes, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 as reported to house.
  • Short: Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 as passed house.

• thedish01 04/29/2009 7:04am

I don’t see this bill as taking away our right to speech. What does concern me is the lack of defining ‘sexual orientation’. No one has the right to harm another irregardless of the reason. Can this bill be twisted by attorneys to say that pedophilia is legal? Incest? Would it be easier in the future to pass a bill that would make these legal? Think about it, not long ago if you were gay or lesbian you would have never let anyone know. I would like to see a clear definition included.

• motes 04/29/2009 7:42am

This is legalizing the persecution of thought not action.

• Wolfglar 04/29/2009 7:46am
    I don’t believe this bill takes away freedom of speech itself. But could possibly be interpreted as anyone talking about any issue and that could be perceived as a threat and then a hate crime without someone(s) doing any actual crime. We all have freedom of speech and equal protection under the law now, but with this bill there will be special protection to certain groups and that is not right, God made us all equal, and he gave us freedom of choice as to how we live our lives, but there is consequences for our actions we take whether it be murder or stealing, etc…
  • wilstevecat 04/29/2009 9:47am

Hate Crimes? Do we have Love Crimes? A crime is a crime. One should get the same punshiment for attacking a person no matter what the driving force was. This bill could become another tool for useless lawsuits.

• OMGDallas 04/29/2009 10:46am

This bill does NOTHING to limit the preaching in church. Preaching is not a violent crime happening out of hate. And as far as people being prosecuted the same no matter what the target, that’s true— in a way. It’s not the TARGET that matters so much as the intent. I could be a white male, but if I strategically murder white males because I hate them so much, then that is a hate crime, and worthy of further punishment. If I just kill everyone without discrimination, then that’s not a hate crime. Passing this bill imposes on no ones rights. It simply discourages people from following the urges of their hatred.

roadlesstraveled 04/30/2009 10:01am

But, you are not seeing something. If you kill everyone w/o discrimination, who determines you killed w/o discrimination? What happens if someone you kill w/o discrimination is “protected” in the bill, but you had no idea? its federal court for you. See what I am saying? Not only will the courts/law enforcement have to determine that a crime was committed, now they have to peir in your mind to determine you acted on these “protected” persons on purpose, so more time in court for the hate crimes, more tax payer time/money. A crime is a crime and should be left to the local, state law entities, not broken down by “what special group” the crime was committed against.

innocent people could be caught up in this…I don’t want to be blogging one day and be in a federal prison the next because the federal government determined what I was thinking at the time of my post and what the person reading my post was thinking.

• rugerdon 04/29/2009 11:27am

The problem with hate crime legislation is that it is used, or is threatened to be used, against right wingers who are not being politically correct. IF, hypothetically, Eric Holder (supposedly non-political) were going to bring hate crime charges against a preacher (which supposedly “isn’t going to happen”), would they more likely be brought against Pat Robertson or Jeremiah Wright? You know the answer to that question…if you don’t you are living on Mars.

• krystaltgirl 04/29/2009 11:44am

I have read this bill 8 times now and have not found any language in this bill that would limit ones freedom to speech or protection for pediphiles. I think one only needs to look at the events of civil rights in the southern states post civil war to realize why we passed federal civil rights laws. We had laws on the books then and the constitution was in effect then as well yet we had a major failure of states to protect the rights of people (blacks) under the laws of the times. It’s a well known fact that until federal intervention in the south during the 1960’s prosecution for violent crimes directed at blacks was all but absent. I am a transgendered female living at one time in Kentucky and I was violently raped by four males who did not know me but knew of my existance in their community.

• krystaltgirl 04/29/2009 11:45am
    I was attacked by them “as stated by them during the attack” for being gay and this is what gay people deserve. By the way no investigation was ever carried out despite two of the individuals being know. Had a federal hate crimes bill been in place the good old boy local police dept would have been forced to at least provide me with equal due process under the law just like was done in the south during the 1960’s. Note we are not asking for special rights, just the same rights that would have been granted to a socker mom in my same situation. If you think rural american police depts provide equal investigative efforts for all citizens then you need to come out of the cave you dwell in.
    roadlesstraveled 04/30/2009 10:08am

Then your law enforcement needs to be convicted of a crime, but you do not deserve better “representation” than my straight daughter that this very same thing could have happened to.

How do you think women around our country would feel if they were raped as well but you got the special attention of the federal government and law enforcement?
    What message would that send to rape victims who are not “special enough” to get their crime prosecuted in federal court?

No one should have these crimes committed against them, no one! But if it does, why am I going to be tossed aside (by the fed) because I am a steriotypical hetro white woman? Why do I and my perpetrator not deserve federal attention?

• rugerdon 04/29/2009 12:18pm

OK, So do you think this bill would be used to prosecute members of a Pro-Gay Marriage Vigilante Group who attacked a Roman Catholic Priest in San Francisco, and the City refused to take action? If so, fair enough; but with Eric Holder at the helm as Attorney General, I don’t think so.

• MissKiff 04/29/2009 2:10pm

The language of the bill is far too vague, leaving it open to an interpretation to be in violation of the Constitution. We should rely on current laws; a crime is a crime, regardless of victim.

• HellfirePreacherman 04/30/2009 10:58am

This bill is not only unconstitutional, it has nothing to do with congress’s duties. This bill would give the federal government more control over the states allowing it to further violate the 9th and 10th ammendment. Besides that, I have never really understood the term ‘hate crime’ or why people seem so upset about it. Lets face it, the victim of a murder is just as dead if the murderer loved them as he would have been if the murderer hated him.

• henhousefox 04/30/2009 2:16pm

There are already enough laws on the books to prosecute any type of criminal behavior, including hate crimes. Just implement the laws we already have; make no exceptions for any specific race, color, creed, or religion; and, use the sentencing structure already in place for each specific crime. Don’t muddy the waters any more than they alreay are.

• Alphawavetrack9 04/30/2009 3:04pm

This is what I’ve heard and responded to my Rep.:
    -Hello, my name is -Selv. (Sir Eindhoven Lion Vortex) (Mr. Vortex). I am replying to tell you not to vote for HR 1913 about the hate crimes inso passing such a bill as this would inevitable legalize just about any sexual orientation including incest of all things! And will threaten freedom of religion making the two laws or freedoms mutually exclusive. You would have a major confrontation from those holding to the freedom of religion with those now protected by law. That if the one protected is confronted by or confronts himself a person holding to the freedom of religion and is told of the second that their choice of lifestyle is sin or wrong that expression of freedom of religion will land that individual in jail because he comitted an offense against federal law. The controversy is no more than this

The Law of God or the laws of men.
    Your friend********************************_______-Selv.

• While I agree with most on this. I have to stand back and wonder what abuse will come from this ? If in the act of a crime, let’s say robbery, a slur comes out. The victim now says hate crime and you are convicted of it and sentenced to 10 years. We need to make sure that “special” rights aren’t created with this. I see this piece of “paper” as an open door right now. Soon we will have protection rights and that is a dangerous road to travel down. I would like to see the lobbyist on this one though. Would make for an interesting debate.

• krystaltgirl 04/30/2009 8:37pm

I agree with you (roadlesstraveled) that a sexual assault on your daughter is a crime and the individual responsible for the act should be prosecuted to the same extent as those who attacked me. I wish this were a perfect world, but all one needs to do is read some of the responses here to realize how many people out there dislike people like me simply because of who I am and feel that they have some moral obligation to go out of there way to make me aware of the fact that they don’y agree with my life. I find it very hard to believe that you or your daughter have had to deal with the number of self rightous ass wipes that myself and other transgendered people have had to deal with on a regular daily basis. I’m a fairly passable transsexual yet I still deal with them daily given my voice. (it gives me away).

• krystaltgirl 04/30/2009 8:38pm

just look at the remark from alphawavetrack9, he hasn’t even read the bill obviously and also feels that he has the moral obligation to force his religous views on those of us who don’t subscribe to his bible bullshit. He may want to read the book he claims to support and try to find one place in the new testament where jesus wasted even one second harrashing gay people, and don’t you think if god was so upset with gay humans he would have included it in the ten commandments. Oh and not to mention the he who is without sin cast the first stone. In no way do I expect everyone to agree with my life style and they should be granted the right to preach and believe how ever they want, i’m not stopping them, nor is this bill.

bbs 05/03/2009 4:09pm

No one is trying to force religious views on you. Why are you trying to force yours on others?

• krystaltgirl 04/30/2009 8:43pm
    You can stand before your congregation and those in a public forum and preach your beliefs till the cows come home…what you do in your churches is totally up to you and this bill has no limits on that. Now I know some of you will say that if my preacher motivates someone to attack a gay person he could be put up on trial as a hate crime. To begin with thats not the intent of this bill and they know it, secondly would you also then condone a preacher to urge his congregation to go out and attack woman because they are second class citizens in your bible….if you do you might want to get help. however, self rightous christian extremist feel it is there moral duty to preach hatred towards gays.
  • krystaltgirl 04/30/2009 8:44pm

I must add that the blood of the two eleven year olds who hung themselves within the past two weeks (one in new jersey, one in georgia) from being teased at school for maybe being gay is on your christian hands, where do you think these kids who bully others get there cues from, adult so called christians. By the way I was raised by very christian parents and on a cattle farm in western KY, and I made every attempt at being a christian, until I finally came to realize how hatefull organized religion actually is, just like now over issues like this. We all know that this bill would not protect pediphilla as a sexual orientation, (thats currently a felony in all 50 states)..yet the christian extremists continue to pour that crap out knowing that they can play on the fears of the mindless sheep who wait to be spoon fed what to think. Oh ya and incest is also a felony in all 50 states.

• krystaltgirl 04/30/2009 8:45pm

I have said it before and I will say it again this bill does not bring special treatment it just evens the playing field. Yes there are laws that provide justice for violent crimes…the problem stems from those who don’t feel I have the same worth as them (given that I’m damned to hell and all for simply being transgendered and gay) and then aren’t willing to apply those laws. As I said before just simply read all the comments here and on christian web sites to know how hated we are!!!!! (I have been quoted many times before as saying I will GLADLY walk through the gates of hell if heaven is full of all the hypocritical christians, thankfully I know that my judgement will not come from them.)

bbs 05/03/2009 4:08pm

The playing field is even under the 14th Ammendment. Are you sure you don’t want special treatment?

• krystaltgirl 05/01/2009 5:04am

These quotes are taken directly off of the traditional values coalition a group of christian lobbyist supported by 43,000 christian churches..meaning many of you have donated to their cause in your sunday collections.

April 29, 2009 –Andrea Lafferty, Executive Director of the Traditional Values Coalition released the following statement today after the U.S. House of Representatives passed the so-called hate crimes bill, H.R. 1913, the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act Of 2009. The vote was 249-175.

• krystaltgirl 05/01/2009 5:04am

“The Anti-Christian Caucus of the U.S. House of Representativeshas acted today to lay the legal foundation and framework to investigate, prosecute and persecute pastors, youth pastors, Bible teachers, and anyone else whose Bible speech and thought is based upon and reflects the truths found in the Bible.

“A pastor’s sermon could be considered ‘hate speech’ under this legislation if heard by an individual who then acts aggressively against persons based on ‘sexual orientation.’ The pastor could be prosecuted for “conspiracy to commit a hate crime.”

• krystaltgirl 05/01/2009 5:05am

“H.R. 1913 is the crown jewel of the LGBT lobby because it makes ‘sexual orientation,’ and ‘gender identity’ into federally protected classes under civil rights laws. These terms were not defined in the legislation – despite Republican efforts to get Democrats to define them in the bill.

“This Democrat-controlled Congress has now elevated pedophiles and other bizarre sexual orientations, as well as drag queens, transgenders, lesbians and gay men to the level of protection of that already given to African Americans, Hispanics and other minorities in the law.” Here are the facts:

• krystaltgirl 05/01/2009 5:06am

Provides federal protection for “sexual orientation,” and “gender identity,” either “actual” or “perceived.” None of these terms are defined in the legislation.

Sexual orientation is defined by the American Psychiatric Association (APA). The APA definition includes 30 mostly bizarre sexual behaviors—including pedophilia.

• krystaltgirl 05/01/2009 5:07am

Ensures that crimes against a transgender, drag queen, gay man or lesbian are treated more harshly than a sexual assault on a child. Under this measure, pedophiles are a protected class. As a result, if a parent assaults a pedophile for molesting a child, the parent can be convicted of a hate crime and receive an enhanced sentence.

Don’t you just love the traditional methods of spreading good christian values here…playing on ignorance and stereotypical fears….sounds christian to me.

• deborahg6 05/01/2009 5:31pm

“To provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosecute hate crimes, and for other purposes.” Just what are “other purposes”?!?!

Regardless of your religious affiliation, sexual orientation, or race…does anyone else see an alarming pattern here? The tentacles of the Federal government are reaching into our hard fought for freedoms folks, while we sit here arguing about “parties” and “orientations”. The Feds are not reaching out here to help us, they’re taking more and more authority while we marvel at our new President’s first 100 days and glorious speeches. I’m marveling too, at just how many people are willing to hand over their liberties.

• mpaone 05/03/2009 10:27am

Hi Deborah,

Curious, what act would you want to do that this effort would prevent you from doing?