H.R.1913 - Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009

To provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosecute hate crimes, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosecute hate crimes, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 as reported to house.
  • Short: Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 as passed house.

• AntonGolovin 05/05/2009 9:11am

The problem with this bill is that a state-mandated framework for eventually persecuting Christians is being silently put in place. If you do not begin to actively stand up now, your pastor, who recites the Holy Bible, and you, who listens to it and believes in it, will possibly end up in jail for inciting “hate”.

Notice the abstract nature of this word – “hate”. Sounds like someone really hates Christians – with real hate – and wants us persecuted, just like during the times of the Soviet Union or the ten persecutions of the Roman Empire.

Wake up now!!!

• dozermdc 05/06/2009 3:56am

This bill is ridicules!!! According to it’s language a person goes to a church service and hears that the bible teaches against homosexuality. This same person then goes out and performs an ‘act of violence’ against a homosexual then the pastor can be arrested for inciting acts of violence. Since when are we holding innocent people accountable for the crimes of the criminals. THIS IS A DANGEROUS PRECEDENT FOR AMERICA. What’s next, are we going to hold parents responsible for the crimes of their grown children; hold teachers responsible for the crimes of their students. Where do we draw the line. It is high time for America to start advocating responsibility for one’s own actions.

• milehifreedom 05/06/2009 4:31am

Think of this scenario…You come home and walk in on someone assaulting a family member in your home. In attempt to save the life of your family member IN YOUR HOME, you grab something and hit the guy (or gal) over the head. In you anger you also call them an unkind, even hateful name. Are you now guilty of a hate crime? I would say yes if this bill passes.

• DavidAmir 05/06/2009 7:35am

What are the definitions of sexual orientation? Does a pedofile who is sexually oriented towards children get protection? So if I attack someone who is attacking my 4-year old daughter he will be protected because he is sexually oriented towards children, but I will go to jail for committing a “hate crime”? Is this legislation a joke?! This is a very dangerous piece of legislation.

• dozermdc 05/06/2009 9:31am

This bill is ridiculous!!! According to it’s language a person goes to a church service and hears that the bible teaches against homosexuality. This same person then goes out and performs an ‘act of violence’ against a homosexual then the pastor can be arrested for inciting acts of violence. Since when are we holding innocent people accountable for the crimes of the criminals. THIS IS A DANGEROUS PRECEDENT FOR AMERICA. What’s next, are we going to hold parents responsible for the crimes of their grown children; hold teachers responsible for the crimes of their students. Where do we draw the line. It is high time for America to start advocating responsibility for one’s own actions.

• jybravo70 05/07/2009 3:37pm

This bill is redundent, too open for interpretation, and will cost too much tax payer dollars to hunt down ghosts of people’s minds. Reminds me a lot of the precieved sexual discrimination sunami in the 1990’s after the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings. Women were precieving sexual harassment everywhere. This bill is flawed in many ways and instead of flapping our gums or fingers we need to be writing our representatives and getting all our friends to do the same to oppose the radical left’s attempt to legislate morality on the masses, that is what church and core values are susposed to do – NOT government.

• DianaAmerican 05/10/2009 9:08am

The Delaration of Independence, July 4, 1776:
    “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they ARE ENDOWED by THEIR CREATOR with certain Unalienable RIGHTS, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness”.

Why is the government always trying to separate us by classes, when we are all Created Equal. It is simply to divide “we the people”, and it is abominal. Ask yourself why are they doing this?

• CuriousGuy 05/10/2009 3:39pm

We really need this law to be passed in our country because currently, gay and lesbian people continue to be targeted by homophobic people, who disregard the law. It’s important to pass this bill because only then will there be greater deterrants against homophobia-based violence. We must strive towards greater equality in this world, and this bill will help us to move in that direction. I encourage you all to support this important and productive bill.

• aharris 05/12/2009 3:52am

The Consitution gives us the right to free speech. It does no give us the right to be free from being offended. When speech becomes action it then becomes a crime. Trying to define what is or is not in someone’s mind simply by virture of the words spoken is folly, and it further closes down the avenues by which honest debate can be had. Besides, I would rather know someone hates me because they freely say so, than spend all my time wondering because they have to lie to avoid some trumped up legal charges. People need to get thicker skin. God knows, we Conservatives have had to.

• Buckskin1 05/12/2009 7:20pm

SEC. 8. RULE OF CONSTRUCTION.

Nothing in this Act, or the amendments made by this Act, shall be construed to prohibit any expressive conduct protected from legal prohibition by, or any activities protected by, the Constitution. DUH, isn’t free speech protected under the Constitution?

• Buckskin1 05/12/2009 7:34pm

© is motivated by prejudice based on the actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability of the victim, or is a violation of the State, local, or tribal hate crime laws.
    Now is this saying that one only has to perceive in order to be charged with the hate crime? Heck they can lock us all up for perceiving.

• Buckskin1 05/12/2009 7:40pm

I know we all were raised in different cultures and now it seems that the present administration is trying to make us all fit the same mold. Whether one is straight, gay, lesbian or whatever, we all sin according to the word of God. Now many of us may think we don’t but I have to disagree with those. It has been made very clear that it is not only the Christians posting comments that expressed perceived “hate”. I personally don’t care what ones sexual preferences are as long as they do it in their bedroom and not my living room as on TV. Each one of us will have to answer to our Maker for what we have done. If we are living in sin according to His word, it is living in sin.

• Buckskin1 05/12/2009 8:05pm

• Buckskin1 05/12/2009 8:06pm

Although I disapprove of “alternative” lifestyles, I dislike the sin, not the sinner. I feel I have the preserved Constitutional right to speak of this subject freely, even if those taking it personal think I hate them. The christian faith that founded this country meant for this country to be a nation of believers that fear God’s wrath. We have sort of let that not happen. Of course it has been the federal government intervening in states rights that has caused the demise of this christian nation. And just think. This has all been done to gain a few votes for the politicians, not to really better the nation as a whole.It is strange what some people will jeopardize in order to satisfy their own personal needs while overlooking the big picture as to what is best for preserving our Constitution and Bill of Rights. So sad yet so true.

• Buckskin1 05/12/2009 8:06pm

• Buckskin1 05/12/2009 8:06pm

And just think. This has all been done to gain a few votes for the politicians, not to really better the nation as a whole.It is strange what some people will jeopardize in order to satisfy their own personal needs while overlooking the big picture as to what is best for preserving our Constitution and Bill of Rights. So sad yet so true.If one thinks they don’t have any rights now, just wait another 100 days. Especially if things move as fast as they did the first 100 days. Sometimes it is difficult to peer past the end of our noses in order to see clearly what is happening to our rights, freedoms and nation. Better wake up people and quit wanting for ourselves and start helping protect our Constitution and Bill of Rights. No, I am not a preacher, just someone who love his God and his country and the people who live here that are true Americans, not just someone living here in order to assist the demise of our way of life. What ever happened when one pledged their loyalty?????

• Buckskin1 05/12/2009 8:16pm

I apologize for the confusion with the multiple or partial duplications. There was a delay in posting and normally that doesn’t occur so I thought I had too much text to post and, well, you see what happened and I couldn’t figure out how to edit or delete. Just read it the best you can if my comments strike a nerve or whatever.

• krystaltgirl 05/12/2009 9:28pm

This is in response to buckskin… As I have said before I am a transgendered female and I support this bill 100%. I would like to know from you how being gay is anti american? Did you serve your country in combat? I served three years in the special forces and recieved two combat medalsin Iraq. So you are saying that my putting my life on the line is only worthy of protecting christian americans and their rights?

• krystaltgirl 05/12/2009 9:36pm

I will have you know that gay americans have fought for this country since the revolutionary war and continue to fight in the US armed forces today and its ashame and a disgrace that people in this country aren’t willing to grant them the same rights granted to you so called christians who so often claim sole ownership of america. Besides you might want to do an advanced study on the founding fathers of this country and come to find that many of them were free masons and went out of there way to prevent a state religion! You are free to believe what ever you want and you can pray daily that I burn in hell… I couldn’t care less because I know that my number to hell is mixed right in there will all the self rightous christians…we can chat in line!

• krystaltgirl 05/12/2009 9:44pm

Oh, and once again I will say that this bill never says anything about limiting freedom of speech it provides for assistance to local law enforcement agencies in investigating VIOLENT crimes. The stuff about limiting freedom sppeech of preachers, protecting pedaphiles, and prosicuting people for there beliefs is all apart of the christian conservatives propaganda to bring mindless sheep to the table to demand a end to this bill. I know why don’t you tell everyone gay people are really canibals who prey on young children. I hate to tell you this but Jesus never once bashed on gay people, but he preached alot about the self rightous false prophets.

• bullshit 05/13/2009 8:30pm

People will think what they want to. You cann’t stop them. It’s impossiable. Yes, this bill will, unintentionally or not, prevent religion from preaching bible versus down the road. Once something is acceptable it is easy to twist.

Please stop any bill that trys to impose thought patrol/control. Next, if someone senses you are thinking bad thoughts it will be illigeal.

This is a rediculas bill at best.

my opinions

• krystaltgirl 05/13/2009 9:29pm

“Once something is acceptable its easy to twist” so you are saying that once we prosecute people for violent hate crimes that that is easy to twist. So you then now would be argueing that it is morally right to attack someone then because they are gay? Cool I wish some self rightous christian would attack me then, I sent everything that moved to its maker in Iraq…what’s one more… I’m going to hell anyway right!

• Buckskin1 05/15/2009 7:05pm

This is just a test to see if posting comments are working. I tried two times and zilch.

• Buckskin1 05/15/2009 7:07pm

In response to Krystaltgirl…..
    1. I didn’t mention anything about gays being anti-American.
    2. This nation was founded based upon the Christian faith, not that all were or would be Christians.
    3. This bill will lead to restrictions of free speech, whether it states it or not.
    4. By having the word “ perception” in it should be enough for one to vote against it.
    5. Read jybravo70’s post for an example of perception.
    6. As DianaAmerican commented, ask yourself why they are doing this?

BelovedEmpress 07/27/2010 9:44pm

NO – THIS COUNTRY WAS NOT FOUNDED ON THE CHRISTIAN FAITH REGARDLESS OF HOW CHRISTIAN THE FOUNDERS MAY HAVE CLAIMED TO BE.

“The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion.”
    ~~ Joel Barlow, in the Treaty of Tripoli, signed by President John Adams (1796)

DAMN – NOW WHAT WILL WE ARGUE ABOUT?

RepubliCAN2010 08/05/2010 11:47am

ok wow, if u ACTUALLY READ THE TREATY it was an OPINIONATED statement that was written BY Joel Barlow and signed by Adams…but if u would have done your history, he was NOT THE PRESIDENT until 1797…which u have incorrectly stated 1796…also i would like to add that Adams got only 1 TERM!!!! …Thomas Jefferson got 2 terms. Why?..because he was a much more knowlegable and capable leader than adams and he was against the treaty..in fact he BROKE IT!!!(1801). And just because one man signs a bill he does not speak for the people or the other founding fathers he only speaks for himself. By signing the treaty Adams was giving his agreement to the treaty by endorsment (whether he actually read it is another story…kinda like this healthcare crap nobody bothered to read).

• Buckskin1 05/15/2009 7:08pm

7. This isn’t for my good or your good. It is simply to divide us and conquer us.
    8. The best I recall, Jesus did not bash gays or any other sinners. If you read Leviticus 18:22, 20:13, Romans 1:24-28 and Jude 1:7, you will get an idea of His thinking on the subject. He didn’t like their lifestyles and even gave them an opportunity to escape his wrath. They did not listen.
    9. You see, I am not a Christian, I am a sinner saved by the grace of God. You can be saved too. All you have to do is ask God. I still do not approve of your lifestyle but that doesn’t mean I hate you.
    10. I want you to know that I will be praying for you but not that you burn in Hell. If you served in Afghanistan, I have already been praying for you. I am also thankful for your service.

• Buckskin1 05/15/2009 7:08pm

11. Now a part I know you won’t like. I have had the pleasure of knowing a lot of veterans. WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Only a few of the greatest generation remain and the ones I know are heroes. Several I knew have already died but ever since I knew them, I had no idea they were heroes until they died. They never mentioned they were in the service and their children, who are my friends, never talked about it. Some were at Normandy on D-Day. One in particular was a medic and he was awarded several medals for doing his job tending to wounded soldiers without even thinking about the bullets and bombs around him. Both of these heroes were awarded Bronze Stars, Silver Stars and both earned multiple Purple Hearts. So based upon what I knew about these men and the Vietnam veterans I know, speaking from experience, I am not sure I believe everything you are saying. I think you have done all veterans an injustice by your post.

• Buckskin1 05/15/2009 7:09pm

12. By the way, I am neither a false prophet nor a prophet, much less a mindless sheep.
    13. I did serve my country. It was in a place called Vietnam. Remember it? If you don’t then don’t despair. You are not alone. Many have forgotten WWI, WWII, Korea, Grenada, and Somalia as they will soon forget Iraq and Afghanistan, including those who served. Most people have already forgotten the World Trade Centers. We have become complacent and have been brain washed to forget our history. You are a living example of those times and I shoulder my fair share of the blame for that happening.
    14. Now if you will excuse me I need to send some emails to my congresspersons. I know many reading this blog think all this is irrelevant and they are probably right.

• krystaltgirl 05/16/2009 11:40am

Buckskin….could you elaborate on how I have done the veterens of this country an injustice by my post… I believe you are failing to understand how many members of the service are a part of the glbt community. Or maybe you mean that I bring disgrace to the other members for not being heterosexual like yourself. Then you make the comment that you don’t believe the accuracy of my service account… why is that, is it because you can’t believe that a transgendered female could have served her country with honor and done as good a job as a straight male. Honey I will have you know that I would feel far more secure being defended by transgendered people in the service than any straight male I know…why these people have proven courage… they face a hostile world everyday.