H.R.1913 - Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009

To provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosecute hate crimes, and for other purposes. view all titles (4)

• Official: To provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosecute hate crimes, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 as reported to house.
  • Short: Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 as passed house.

Gene9223 05/30/2009 1:49pm

As for how many members are in the military that are GLBTI. When compared to the civilian populace the number of GLBTI are acutally a bit higher. Some fathers dump their ‘queer’ sons into the military trying to make a man of them. Or their daughters as well. Some are kicked out of the home too early and need someplace to finish growing up. We talk all of them in and give them the chance their own family didn’t.

In one command we had 4 female to male and 2 male to female transpeople, over 20 lesbians and 3 gay service members all of whom were kicked out all at once. The event also led to 2 suicide attempts. 29 personnel discharged all at once. That was not fun, we lost an entire division over that witch hunt and the command enviroment suffered.

• krystaltgirl 05/16/2009 11:45am

Secondly I have yet to read or hear one comment from anyone on the web going after Native Americans (they are also mentioned in this bill amoung others). This alone is a huge statement regarding the amount of hate the GLBT community faces daily, and no I don’t care to hear about your bible or religous beliefs.. Keep them to yourselves in your churches were they belong. I have every right to not have to constantly hear about the religous rights bashing of my community. I can promise you I won’t be in your church, ever!

• krystaltgirl 05/16/2009 11:56am

By the way I don’t mean this to be a personal attack on you.. so don’t take it that way. I respect all for their rights..I served for that reason. But in serving I have earned my rights. I would agree that if current laws were inforced there would be no reason to pass laws like this…but you cannot be niave enough to believe that they are being enforced…once again just look at how much attention the GLBT community is getting over this while the other groups are not being mentioned at all….It should speak volumes to the motives of others..

Gene9223 05/17/2009 3:49am

I’m with Krystal on this all the way.
    I grew up in the south in the 60’s and at the time my dad was a police officer. So I’ve seen hatred up close.
    I defended the country and served 20 years in the Navy. I’m also IS/TG so :P. (psst…hey Krystal, this fight has moved to the Senate. HR.1913 is now S.909. Support for S.909 is now needed.:x )

bear54 05/24/2009 6:27pm

Bravo!!!! Gene, you are great

• Buckskin1 05/16/2009 6:15pm

Krystaltgirl, what I was referring to was your comment about killing Iraqis and sending them to hell. I have yet met a veteran that bragged about what they did in service, especially when it involved combat situations. You are the first for me. Most WWII and Vietnam vets will not discuss it no matter how hard one might try to get them to. The Iraqi vets I know are the same. They just want to get on with their lives as I did when I returned home. That is how I felt that you disgraced all veterans. This may be a southern thing but I don’t think so.

Gene9223 05/30/2009 1:47pm

Hum… no one from the military brags about what they’ve done? Geeze, pour a beer in one down at the VFW and you can’t shut them up.

Some do talk about their exploits, some don’t. I have PTSD (my PTSD is not from military service) and I try not to talk about the not so nice bits of my military service.…. Which is funny, if you have PTSD you should talk about the underlying issues. But my PTSD isn’t from the military. So I don’t talk about it.

Many of the vets of the Iraqi and Afgani conflicts are extremely young. The ones Ive been around do ‘talk shop’ when they’re around us retired vets. They are very graphic when they talk. To me its obvious that some day I’ll run into one or two in the waiting room waiting to talk to the doc at the VA or some such.

• Buckskin1 05/16/2009 6:17pm

Concerning religion, have you ever thought that you are placing me and other Christians in the same boat you are in when you talk about what we can do with our religion? That you don’t want to hear it? That you want us to keep it in the church? Maybe we want you to keep your lifestyle indoors because you might be a threat to the existence of religion. You see Christians as a threat to your lifestyle and Christians see you as a threat to their lifestyles. The bill included religion also. Now we both will have to walk a thin line if the bill becomes law.

2100km 05/23/2009 10:00pm

“You see Christians as a threat to your lifestyle and Christians see you as a threat to their lifestyles.”

Excellent point. It is completely PC for someone to demand that a Christian hide anything religious lest their belief offend someone. And the ACLU will sue the pants off of anyone displaying a religious symbol in a public place… unless it’s soaking in urine.

• Buckskin1 05/16/2009 6:31pm

I do appreciate the conversation we have had but I wouldn’t want it to end on a sour note. As stated earlier, I don’t hate you, I hate the sin. What you do is your choice and really none of my business. I do appreciate your service and I respect your views. I am just thankful we live in a country where we can discuss our differences without fear. I too respect the rights of others although I may not agree with certain items. Disagreeing is a long way from hate though. I guess no matter how long we live there will always be disagreements, hatred and discrimination, regardless of how hard one works at getting rid of them.

• Buckskin1 05/16/2009 6:46pm

I know you feel as supportive of this bill as I feel the opposite. Personally I dislike the government getting too involved with our lives all together. As I read different opinions on the internet, I wonder how can anyone hate this country and way of life we have been blessed with. I just feel as if all the parties have sold the people of this great nation down the tube and are wanting to go global. I think the bill will pass congress and be signed into law. Then again this may be an appeasement bill to temporarily satisfy certain people until the global issue comes into play. That is when you will need to be concerned about your rights Krystaltgirl. Here’s my handshake to you just to show there are no hard feelings on my part. I hope you feel likewise. Later.

• LilSuter 05/18/2009 2:48pm

To the World:

Transgenders have rights too! It is now an everyday occurence where transgenders get killed for who they are…You do not see this with people today who worship in the house of God fighting over your this or your that…Jesus was different and the people still put him to a death sentence. Just because you are different does not mean that you cause harm or even kill them…I guess that those that follow religion are threaten maybe even to go as far to say that they have to re-think their own sexuality. My challenge to the world is this:“Place your differences aside and work together or there will be no one left on this world to enjoy it…”

• Sandyfishgirl 05/19/2009 1:37pm

Isn’t ALL crime hate related? I don’t think we need more laws. We could improve on the punishment – make more harsh – of our current laws.

• calvininsf 05/20/2009 3:39pm

I am absolutely pro gay rights. But the only problem with hate crimes is that they are more excusable than murder. If you murder someone, that means life in prison or the death penalty. If it is a hate crime, sentencing is much lower than that. So while hate crimes have good intentions, they end up doing the opposite of what they intend to do.

• krystaltgirl 05/20/2009 8:24pm

Mr Walrus you are absolutely correct the phrase Separation of church and state" does not appear any where in the US constitution. However the implied effect of both the Establishment clause and the Free Exercise clause of the first amendment create the notion of this…. Don’t take this from me take it from Thomas Jefferson himself (you have heard of him haven’t you) Here is a direct quote from his letter to the Danbury Baptist Church regarding this issue….

• krystaltgirl 05/20/2009 8:25pm

Thomas Jefferson:
    Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their “legislature” should “make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,” thus building a wall of separation between church and State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

• Moderated Comment

• brainscrubber 05/21/2009 6:22am

This bill is so vague in its present form, it looks like something a high school civics class would put to together and turn in for a grade. There is a section that guarantees that the freedom of speech will not be violated, but the very nature of the bill indicates otherwise. We are all lumped together in ‘The List’ of protected sexual preferences: heterosexual, homosexual, trans, bi, pedophiles, necrophiliacs, fecophiles, you-name-it-phile. So don’t try to beat to a bloody pulp the pedophile you catch molesting your little girl…you could get a felony with prison time and he gets probation. The fact that this is a bill based on ‘perceived’ orientations and ‘perceived’ prejudices lends it to all kind of interpretations, plus it gives the federal government power to come in and prosecute when states have already got laws in place. That can be bad or good. But the new firearm possession bill should help you defend yourself, whatever your ‘perceived or actual’ orientation.

• krystaltgirl 05/21/2009 2:01pm

My o my o my how many times do the supporters of this bill have to point out the same facts over and over to the mindless conservatives that to begin with this bill clearly states that this bill only addresses violent felony behavior and does not provide any protections to individuals for a sexual preference that would be classified as a felony behavior like pediphilia and incest. Being gay is not illegal but molesting a child is… you might want to have a conversation with clergy members about that one…. hmmm

• 2100km 05/23/2009 9:46pm

Look at the way this bill was voted on in the house compared to its reception by the people here on this page. Can you say “out of touch” Washington? It’s time to impeach the national government.

• bear54 05/24/2009 6:25pm

This bill does not limit free speech. Read the bill. There are already hate crime laws that protect religion, race, etc. The newest addition is sexual orientation. If you want to get rid of hate crime laws, then get rid of all of them. The bill IS needed because people are attacked simply for appearing to be part of a minority group. The bill speaks to our values and morals as Americans.

• Avelino_Maestas 05/25/2009 7:39pm

Hello everybody, my name is Avelino Maestas and I’m the community manager for OpenCongress. I just wanted to take a moment to ask everybody expressing their views on this legislation to step back and refrain from personal attacks.

I understand this legislation can lead to heightened tension, but we’re all capable of discussing the bill with civility. Thanks.

• clevbucki 05/28/2009 12:15pm

I’m having with a problem with making the motivation the crime when the acts are already a crime and when the perpetrators are already being prosecuted. What problem is this fixing? Also gender identity and sexual orientation to me don’t belong in the list with the others.

• stevemanusa 06/09/2009 3:19pm

Dr. Joe Harrop: “Wars and rumors of wars” article is a bit naive as to the political gay activist intentions of shutting the mouths of Christians who are concerned about homosexuality being sin. The intent has already been made clear to make it hate speech. Perhaps Dr. Joe needed to watch the news surrounding Prop 8 outrage and what the desire and intent is among the gay populus. I know, I lived as a gay man for 8 years. You really do have to be naive to believe the motive is some how to protect from “hateful” crimes. BTW, there are already laws protecting everyone from “hateful” crimes. This bill seeks to make homosexuals a protected class and will finally make homosexuality at the same legal status as gender and race. This will cause a legal quagmire that the Democrats and political gay activists are hoping for in this bill.

jaysays 06/09/2009 4:31pm

It’s intriguing to me that the focus on this bill is on sexual orientation and gay activism – particularly considering hate crimes motivated by sexual orientation in 2007 came in 3rd place. The first, race, with African Americans leading the pack. 2nd place goes to religion, with Jewish people getting the worst of it.

Yet, again, it’s being made to be a “gay” bill in order to use religious bias, misinterpretation and the “God said so and you can’t argue with God” argument to strike down this very important legislation.

The idea that this bill is intended to give Federal recognition to gays and lesbians as a suspect class is completely uninformed. Such is already recognized in many state supreme court cases AND numerous other bills will accomplish the same thing, including the Employer Non-Discrimination Act.

Remember, religion promoted racism too until the opinion became unpopular – see “The Curse of Ham.”

• Blessed88008 06/12/2009 2:53pm

I am against hate crimes of any kind, yet I am suspicious when the first line of the bill reads, “to enhance federal enforcement of hate crimes, AND OTHER PURPOSES”. What other purposes would that be? In leiu of the barrage of bills threatening our rights and constitution, it doesn’t take much of an imagination to come to some frightening conclusions. We have plenty of law enforcement officers and laws against violent crimes. Just another excuse to control the people.

• carigis 06/16/2009 2:08pm

I really hope the senate is smart enough to kill this stupid law.. a crime is a crime… we don’t need to break down WHY people do it.. the original hate crime law is silly and this is 10 times as silly.

• carigis 06/16/2009 2:10pm

I would go as far as to say we should REPEAL current hate crime laws

BettyeinTexas 06/21/2009 4:23am

I agree. Repeal all Hate Crime laws.

• b58 06/18/2009 10:27pm

I don’t think anyone in congress or senate can read . If they could there is already laws written for hate crimes. They just keep writing laws on top of others.