H.R.2517 - Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations Act of 2009

To provide certain benefits to domestic partners of Federal employees. view all titles (3)

• Short: Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide certain benefits to domestic partners of Federal employees. as introduced.
  • Short: Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations Act of 2009 as reported to house.

• joe_vndyke 08/23/2009 7:29am

The only way you should qualify for your spouse’s health insurance and other benefits (federal employee or not) is if you are married. That’s how it’s always been, that’s how it should be. We should not give preferential treatment to the “close friends” of federal employees. How do you define an “intimate relationship”? This is about as ridiculous as if we provided health benefits to all friends and extended family of federal employees. I’m a teacher. The only way my spouse qualifies for my health coverage is because we are married – not because we are in an “intimate, unmarried relationship.” I find this bill to be totally ridiculous, and preferential.

xymoxicillin 04/10/2010 12:38am

i don’t see “friends and extended family” mentioned anywhere. what i do see is “domestic partners”, which can be easily proven by such items as joint leases, and bank statements, etc.
    as for health coverage only applying because you are married, i think that it should be extended to unmarried opposite-sex partners as well. as long as you can prove you’ve been together for some time, i see no reason why it shouldn’t. i don’t think anyone should be penalized for not being married. marriage is a choice and not all straight couples want to get married—-it’s just a social expectation.

• solsticemagic 10/09/2009 5:34am

I have a legal marriage to my same-sex partner of 8 years and still cannot carry her on my insurance because of DOMA. I am a government employee and it would help us tremendously financially. It would also be nice to get the same benefits that my other married co-workers get.

• cjsamz 10/25/2009 4:52am

Being a part of the LGBT community, I find this bill to be discouraging, to say the least. While I support the effort and understand the process of ending discrimination unfortunately takes small steps, this bill does not acknowledge the need for equality in marriage. I will support this bill under the pretext that it is a small step to actual equality and fairness. However, I believe the simple solution is for government to acknowledge that is does not have the right to restrict civil marriage rights, rather than creating legislation to “give” rights to citizens.

UKFiend56 02/01/2010 8:07am

Well Put.

• kyk4fun 11/22/2009 7:27am

I have been with my partner for 10 years, and she has been a federal employee for 25 years. It would help us both out financially if this bill passed. I have a full time job to maintain my medical insurance, however I will be leaving for med school within a year. This bill passing would alleviate some of my concerns re: medical insurance etc.

• freetobeme500 12/26/2009 3:17am

This bill is beyond ridiculous! What is happening to this country? Now the common taxpayer must subsidize more debauchery and sin!

• Icon 04/08/2010 11:00am

As the nation’s largest employer, the federal government cannot afford to discourage the most qualified applicants from considering working for them by refusing to provide benefits that other large employers provide.

The vast majority of the Fortune 500 now offer benefits to the same-sex partners of their employees. It is absurd that the federal government does not.