H.R.2749 - Food Safety Enhancement Act

To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to improve the safety of food in the global market, and for other purposes. view all titles (5)

• Official: To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to improve the safety of food in the global market, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Food Safety Enhancement Act as introduced.
  • Short: Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 as reported to house.
  • Short: Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 as passed house.

• deborahg6 09/16/2009 2:43pm

Documentary on Monsanto and Genetically Modified Foods.

• EvelynB 09/17/2009 1:45pm

I have a petition against this bill that will be sent to Washington. Please sign, add your comments as you have here,and email the petition to as many others as possible to also sign and comment. Please make sure to add comments because sometimes in DC they count all those without comments as one signature instead of individual signatures. This will take you directly to the petition.
    On that site (Care2, Petition Site) if you go to my “Profile” you will find two(2) other petitions. One against HR875 similar to this HR2749. If you’ve already signed thank you. If you haven’t yet PLEASE go to the site, stand up for our freedoms, sign and pass it on.

• watcher77 10/07/2009 10:00am

This Bill is a pre-cursor, an introduction to Codex Alimentarious.
    Read this link to find a very good analysis of HR 2749.

Codex Alimentarious is implemented on Dec. 31, 2009. Yes, THIS YEAR!
    Basically, any vitmin/mineral will be classified as TOXIC. Ergo, all foods containing toxins will disappear, being unfit for consumption. Any mineral not listed in Codex will be classified as toxic also.
    Google “CODEX ALIMENTARIOUS” to find out more.

FIGHT HR 2749 & CODEX ALIMENTARIOUS!!

• cassidy22 10/20/2009 7:48am

This is very scary. I grow and sell food on a small farm in my town. We process chickens and turkeys on our farm. We sell maybe 200 chickens per year, adn 30 turkeys. This bill would require a $500 per year registration fee for us, plus WEEKLY INSPECTIONS. WEEKLY! We process birds maybe 4 times a year. We also raise lamb (processed off site) and veggies and fruit on small acreage. We sell at farmer’s markets and on site. People love visiting our farm.

This bill will create so much bureacratic paperwork that we won’t be able to farm, we’ll spend all our time writing control plans and tracking paperwork. For 200 chickens and 30 turkeys?

This is really scary, impractical, and WILL kill small farms. It’s very disappointing. What I do is exactly how I want to eat my food – NO additives, NO preservatives, NO hormones, medicines, fertilizers, pesticides, or any of that junk. I grow my food RIGHT, and because I am NOT big business, the govt wants to shut me down. SAD

nemoest 10/21/2009 5:14am

Maybe I’m reading the bill incorrectly, but I believe your farm would be exempt from the registration fee.

Section 101 says —
    1) The term facility “does not include farms”
    2) A farm includes “operation that packs or holds food, provided that all food used in such activities is grown, raised, or consumed on such farm or another farm under the same ownership”

Which sounds like your situation.

The changes to registration and fees appear to only impact facilities. Since you appear to be exempt, I don’t see why this is an issue.

If I am wrong, please let me know.

Thanks.

freedomfemme 12/31/2009 10:52am

Packing and holding is one thing, selling is another.

• watcher77 11/06/2009 2:03pm

This Bill is a pre-cursor, an introduction to Codex Alimentarious.
    Codex Alimentarious is set for implementation on Dec. 31, 2009.

Yes, THIS YEAR!

Google “CODEX ALIMENTARIOUS” to find out more.

FIGHT HR 2749 & CODEX ALIMENTARIOUS!!

• freedomfemme 12/31/2009 10:50am

Say NO to HR 2749. This is about CONTROL, not PROTECTION!

• Delta 01/15/2010 9:24pm

THIS BILL DOES NOT APPLY TO REAL FARMS!!! Read section 5.d.!!!

Right now the large beef packers are above the law. They are crushing small beef packers, killing and maiming their workers, and poisoning tens of thousands of Americans a year just so management can live in MacMansions.

One purpose of government is to protect citizens. If a cult of crazy people was going around stabbing tens of thousands of Americans a year would you think it a threat to civil liberties if the police stopped them? No. If the mob was systematically breaking the legs of tens of thousands of Americans would you think it a threat to our civil liberties if the FBI stopped them? No.

Right now the USFDA agents are demoralized because the can’t stop the beef packers from producing infected beef.

Go to Google news and search for “e coli outbreak”. Read “Fast Food Nation”. Read about Barbara Kowalcyk’s son who was murdered by the beef packing companies.

I am outraged and I support this bill.