H.R.2835 - Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act

To provide for the medical use of marijuana in accordance with the laws of the various States. view all titles (3)

• Official: To provide for the medical use of marijuana in accordance with the laws of the various States. as introduced.
  • Popular: Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act as introduced.
  • Short: Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act as introduced.

• kevinmcc 06/14/2009 9:22pm

If any thing it should be lowered to at least schedule III, but really it should not even be on the list of controlled substances.

Hope this bill passes.

• kevinmcc 06/15/2009 3:41am

Take action now!

• tmcdonaldcan 06/15/2009 4:50pm

I hope this passes.

• jml6m 06/16/2009 5:25pm

There’s no reason for this not to pass.

• jimblq 06/16/2009 6:38pm

Maybe the sixth time through, this bill might make it past the House Energy and Commerce committee.

• hecticdad 06/25/2009 1:45pm

I hope this bill passes

• Fredamae 06/29/2009 6:57am

Reciprocity for Interstate Travel. The Tourist Industry would Appreciate this, I’m sure.

Treat CannaMeds Like ALL other medications!

• Xcyeal 07/03/2009 11:26am

This needs to get done already.

• losingliberty09 07/07/2009 4:16am

I hate you barney, but thanks for a decent piece of legaslation.

ablanford 03/30/2011 7:10am

I hate you too Barney, but thanks for somethin’!

• blissando 07/25/2009 3:49am

This bill is a large step in the right direction regarding medical marijuana policies, and I do hope it passes

• rables 08/04/2009 6:35am

Finally!

• ClarenceDarrowJr 08/05/2009 7:13am

With President Obama’s history of marijuana use and that of President George W. Bush and President Clinton, and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, and that of over 100 million Americans, it’s about time someone changed the terrible federal laws regarding this drug. 2.7 million people are in jail and most of them because of marijuana. That just feeds corrupt courts, corrupt police, and corrupt private prison systems. I’m backing you up fully on this Barney !

• Moderated Comment

• dewby13 08/07/2009 1:00pm

To All My Fellow Americans,

I’m for the, “Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act” bill because
    if it passes, me along with millions of other Americans will have
    access to better care. I did some digging and found out that the
    pharmaceutical industry is lobbying against all of us sick patients.
    Essentially, they’re lobbying against a safe herb which they extract
    to make their drug, “Marinol”, which has known side effects… to be continued

• dewby13 08/07/2009 1:02pm

This monstrous industry has to be stopped. They made drugs that my cousin
    OD’ed on for his depression. They made the drugs that nearly took mine
    and now they have the audacity to swindle Americans from
    compassionate, humane, and affordable treatment. It’s time to make a
    STAND. To stand UP for our LIBERTY to HEALTH and WELL-BEING… To be continued

• dewby13 08/07/2009 1:03pm

Make a STAND with me. I’ve written two songs about this and just want to
    share one with you right now:

‘me tired of carin
    cuz know one’s carin for me
    just give me the bottle
    i’ll take the dang pills

i’ll just let ‘em kill me
    i’ll just wither away
    till my last pill i swallow
    takes me away’

It breaks my heart that fellow Americans will let this happen. If you
    have a sister, brother, mom, dad, or anyone else you know that’s just
    slipping away, DON’T LET IT HAPPEN!!! WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN!!!
    PLEASE!!!

Most Sincerely,

Patrick D.
    Disabled Veteran

• b58 08/08/2009 12:12am

I figured right that Washington now is full of the dope taking hippies of the 60’s now they want to legalize street dope so it is easier to get and then the law won’t be arresting people for having it. They will call it medical just to pass it but it won’t be long.

dewby13 08/08/2009 11:28am

Hey b58,

This bill if passed helps the doctors and patients from being raided by federal agents. It gives the control over to the states whether or not they will provide compassionate care to their sick ones. Also many notable organizations endorse the use of medical marijuana. Ranging from doctors to nurses, scientists to law enforcement. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis#Organizational_support

This bill is not to be confused with street dope which some dealers lace to get you into some hardcore drugs. For that issue see bill, “H.R.2943 – Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2009”.

• dewby13 08/09/2009 10:55pm

Everyone, pay particular attention to the bill in Sec.2(D) and Sec.3(4) . I’ve noticed that these clauses give the false pretense of giving the states control over who distributes or produces marijuana. However, this bill is biased towards the pharmaceutical industry. They are being very sneaky and trying to yet again, dupe all of us Americans from AFFORDABLE Treatment!!! I’m very serious folks, they did it with “Marinol” (over 700 $$ for 30 doses at 10mg each!! That’s less than an ounce!!!) and there’s a good chance they’ll do it again with the herb, if we let them.

To be continued, see next comment…

• dewby13 08/09/2009 11:00pm

Look, the pharmaceutical industry as a whole are not the bad guys. There’s just a few bad apples that give them a bad reputation. I am slightly biased against the pharmacies, but only because our government gives them way too much power. This is a perfect example of it. Uncle Sam needs to give complete control over to the states. As the bill stands, our Federal Government is still indirectly involved via FDA, which everyone knows the pharmacy has a lot of influence over and vice versa.

Here, Uncle Sam is saying, alright, we’ll let you choose, BUT these are the BIG DOGS you have to go through. That’s intolerable, the FDA and the pharmacies have to stay out of the bill so that other industries may pursue technological advancements in medicine, i.e., naturopathy, acupuncture, nutrition, etc..

Reference:

• dewby13 08/11/2009 1:30pm

As stated in one of my comments under the “Official Bill Text”, from this point on, I’m going to try to stay objective with my findings as I make them public on here. I’ve stated in the above comment that the pharmacies are given way too much power and that they have a lot of influence over the FDA. Those are bold statements to make without any proof.

I should be more careful before making any more of those kind of statements. However, here is a fact to consider:

Did you know that Pharmaceutical Lobbyists consistently make the biggest contributions to our congressmen. In 2008 alone, over 28,000,000 $$ were given to government officials. See http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?cycle=2010&ind=H04

Other References:

• dewby13 08/11/2009 2:03pm

I have some excellent articles listed below regarding how much influence the pharmacy has over it’s own Regulatory Agency (FDA), Doctors, and Politicians, and even our education system.

Articles:

• dewby13 08/11/2009 2:43pm

If you’d like to help make this bill FAIR, you can. Right now, I’m trying to be actively involved by writing my representatives, and trying to pull various organizations together. I’m faced with odds however, due to organizations not responding back to me in a timely fashion. BUT THIS IS THE KEY. WE HAVE TO PULL TOGETHER so OUR VOICES ARE HEARD.

We have to be active in educating not just the public, but also presenting all willing organizations and associations with the facts. I live down here in Texas and if there is anyone who’d like to contact me and help me accomplish just that, please by all means, shoot me a line.
    To be continued, see next comment…

• dewby13 08/11/2009 2:46pm

If we organize and unify our efforts, this bill will not only pass, but will allow other health industries to care for our patients. Right now, as this bill stands, it’s mainly a matter of the FDA and pharmacies.

I do not know why these other health industries, i.e. Naturopathy, Acupuncture, Nutrition, and Herbalists are NOT taking a STAND on this. Maybe they don’t know that this bill is underway. IDK.

But as a VA medical patient myself, I have to seek treatment elsewhere for my medical conditions. Mainly because my Docs continue to prescribe me meds that don’t work. So it sure would be nice, if this matter is not left entirely into the hands of mainstream health care providers. Hint Hint. Wink Wink.

Sincerely,

Patrick D.

• thawkinsjr 08/16/2009 9:00am

It is very true that the main reason that cannabis is opposed as medicine is the fact that cannabis is a natural substance and cannot be patented.

Synthetic THC (the main active ingredients in cannabis) has been on the market for some time as Marinol. This is allowed because the synthetic form is a chemical and has been patented.

Much of the funding and lobbying money that keeps cannabis illegal comes from the pharmaceutical companies because they know that if cannabis were legal for medical use it would cut into their markets. They sure don’t want that to happen, and they will fund whatever keeps cannabis illegal, even if it is a campaign of lies like we see so often.

• dewby13 08/17/2009 12:48am

Thank you Jr for your thoughtful comment (:
    As we are the only ones who have them on here
    It just wants to make me vomit :(

It might just be
    up to you and me
    to reform our inhuman
    healthcare, industry

Not by ploys
    gadgets
    and toys

but through
    education, wisdom
    and joy ( :

• tanzylynne 08/22/2009 10:53am

YES, YES, and YES again! In my state a medical marijuana user is not a criminal. In my view, marijuana use shouldn’t even be a crime. I don’t smoke pot, but I enjoy wine, and how on earth is that any different???

• Keirie420 10/19/2009 4:04am

Medicinal Marijuana should be legal throughout the country. No person should ever have their freedom taken away for possession of a plant.

• Constitutionalist1 10/25/2009 12:28pm

I’m not sure how to vote on this. I agree that drugs should be legal, but I don’t agree that the FDA should regulate anything. What’s to be regulated on a plant? You stick the seed in the soil and let it grow. I guess it is a step in the right direction to complete deregulation.