H.R.2835 - Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act

To provide for the medical use of marijuana in accordance with the laws of the various States. view all titles (3)

• Official: To provide for the medical use of marijuana in accordance with the laws of the various States. as introduced.
  • Popular: Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act as introduced.
  • Short: Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act as introduced.

ablanford 03/30/2011 7:10am
in reply to losingliberty09 Jul 07, 2009 4:16am

I hate you too Barney, but thanks for somethin’!

concernedcitzen 12/19/2010 8:04am
in reply to concernedcitzen Dec 19, 2010 8:02am

I just changed my vote since I realized it means there would be less federal inference. So I am now in support of this law. I hope it passes.

concernedcitzen 12/19/2010 8:02am

I’m unsure how to vote on this one. I voted no because I feel this law it too restrictive in some ways for those marijuana users. I feel it is a step backwards in policy. I hope it fails.

opm118 12/04/2010 1:56pm

The war on drugs is a fraud and a failure and cannabis is healthy.

Seabourne 07/28/2010 6:48am

The FDA is responsible for protecting the public health not pharmaceutical companies profits. The FDA claims they concure with the DEA, who claims they are basing their decision on what the FDA states. Neither is willing to take responsibilty. It is like listening to toddlers in a he said – she said, each blaming the other. What a farse! The Controlled Substance Act of 1970 and subsequent scheduling was done before science was even aware the human body has an endocannabinoid system. Congress enacted laws against marijuana in 1970 based in part on its conclusion that marijuana has no scientifically proven medical value. In the last 40 years much scientific documentation has taken place. It must be taken into consideration… It should be legal for medicinaluse nation wide!

Seabourne 07/28/2010 6:34am

Studying what all the fuss is about regarding medicinal use of cannabis I found the main issue – is the psychotropic effect. Research conducted on cannabis based medicine for a wide range of heath issues main attempt is to eliminate these effects. It must be pointed out that there is a wide range of medicines prescribed daily have psychotropic effects. Many of these are on the list of schedules 1 through 5, Marinol is currently placed on schedule 3. Examples of substances on Schedule 4 include Alprazolam (Xanax), Clonazepam (Clonopin), Diazepam (Valium), Lorazepam (Ativan), Phenobarbital, Sibutramine (Meridia) Temazepam (Restoril) Zolpidem (Ambien, Ivadal). It must also be pointed out that Benadryl, available over the counter, as well as many cough medicines also have psychotropic effects. So just what is all the fuss about? No one had ever died from cannabis. Alcoholic beverages cause death on a regular basis yet they are legal for all adults yet also cause psychotropic effects.

Seabourne 07/28/2010 6:31am

Additional Fact : The Cannabis plant contains more than 60 cannabinoids, 66 have been found to date. Marinol has 1 cannabinoid which is not effective on everything. The other cannabinoids have great healing properties that science is just beginning to understand but years away from developing a synthetic compound in attempts to reproduce the natural. Many ill patients can not tolerate the pharmaceutical chemical drugs.

Seabourne 07/28/2010 6:28am

It should be legal for medicinal use nation wide!
The DEA (along with other government officials, executives, departments and offices) can stop committing the criminal offense of officials or executives of the U.S. government to direct or conspire to wage a deliberate campaign of misinformation, omission of fact, and outright lies with our tax dollars and change the schedule, realizing without a medical need and valid prescription it would still be a crime they can pursue, along with all the other substances that are abused. It would be grand if they could eradicate cocaine, heroin and methamphetamines from this nation. Changing the schedule might give them the time and manpower to focus on the truly dangerous drugs that do in fact cost lives and the real criminals instead of so much concern over ill patients with no alternative.

Seabourne 07/28/2010 6:24am

Cured: A Cannabis Story (A film by David Triplett)

Seabourne 07/27/2010 8:07pm

It should be legal for medicinal use nationwide.
See Run from the Cure – the Rick Simpson story (this man cured hundreds of cancer patients with strong cannabis oil) on you tube.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psJhQHk_GI
For some patients it is the only thing that works. Must we all leave our homes and move to other states? It should be legal nationwide!

Seabourne 07/27/2010 8:05pm

It should be legal for medicinal use nationwide. It is a criminal offense for officials or executives of the U.S. government to direct or conspire to wage a deliberate campaign of misinformation, omission of fact, and outright lies with our tax dollars. Taxpayers pay $50,000.00 per year for every person in jail. It is time to stop punishing those that this is the only medicine that works for them, especially those that can not tolerate the pharmaceutical chemicals, which are far more damaging to the body and any amount of cannabis could ever do.

Seabourne 07/27/2010 8:04pm

Seabourne 07/27/2010 8:03pm

It should be legal for medicinal use nationwide.
Substance abuse and medical value are not the same by any means. For example there are many, many current pharmaceutical drugs prescribed and sold daily that are abused. Drug abusers and ill patients using the same drug can not be compared. Someone having a legitimate health need for the drug simply can not be put in the same category as an addict or drug abuser.

Seabourne 07/27/2010 8:02pm

It should be legal for medicinal use nationwide. It has been shown to be safe and effective for but not limited to : Alzheimer’s and pre-Alzheimer’s disease, autoimmune diseases, stroke, arthritis, asthma, cramps, epilepsy, glaucoma, migraine, multiple sclerosis, nausea, premenstrual syndrome, side effects of cancer chemotherapy, fibromyalgia, sickle cell anemia, spasticity, spinal injury, stress, easement of post-traumatic stress disorder, Tourette’s syndrome, wasting syndrome from AIDS or anorexia, many rare diseases for which there is no know cure or treatment. Mental conditions not limited to bipolar, depression, attention deficit disorder, or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Use as an antibiotic, antibacterial, anti-viral, or anti-emetic; as a healing agent, or as an adjunct to many other medical or herbal treatments.

LoneRebel 02/22/2010 10:44am

I dont understand the patent issue for ‘weed’ either. This is irrelevent because it is a schedule I drug. Period point blank. It is what it is. You do not have to ‘own’ the rights to weed to grow it. It is not like they have dumped time, research and development into marijuana, they do not have to recoup that money as would a drug that would have a patent.

LoneRebel 02/22/2010 10:39am

I see a major issue with a bill like this being passed into law and that is the same issue I have with loose regulation of perscriptions of controlled substances. With a ‘script’ and enough savvy any person can feul their addiction. You see the popular vote because of the “stoner” aspect of marijuana. You see the point being blurred because of this too. It sounds like people are excited because they can have an excuse to grow ‘weed’ and say it is for medicinal use. People want to deregulate our system because of loop holes like this and the supposed freedom ‘it’ takes.

If medical marijuana was to be manufactured by pharm. companies and controlled like narcotics and distributed like they are supposed to, then I highly support this bill. But if it is to give a bunch of idiots a pass on getting high, then I say vote this bill down.

HR2835 11/20/2009 10:24am

“High” hopes for this bill. I am sure the big pharma’s will spend the right cash to beat it. Yes Barney is a liar, but can anyone provide me the name of any elected A hole that tells the truth. Our government has been lying about MJ, since 1937. I do not trust any of them. But I give Barney credit; he at least has the wavels to stick his ass on the line for our cause. To those of you who oppose our views, you are entitled to do so; it is your right. But please get informed, get the facts, sit down with a MJ consumer, and ask them any questions you wish. We are not just a bunch of teenage stoners, we are doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians, ceo’s, cfo’s, law enforcement, the lists go on and on. So before you spout off get the real truth and facts, then form your educated opinion. I myself smoke each and every day, I am a very productive part of my community, and I have a seven figure bank account. Not to bad for a stoner from Il., and my wealth was obtain 100% legit.

Chris

LegalPot 11/12/2009 9:04am
in reply to Constitutionalist1 Oct 25, 2009 12:28pm

Exactly everyone wants to see pot completely legalized and this is a step in the right direction.

FallenMorgan 11/09/2009 12:28pm

Amazing that some people in Congress realize we have a Tenth Amendment.

Constitutionalist1 10/25/2009 12:28pm

I’m not sure how to vote on this. I agree that drugs should be legal, but I don’t agree that the FDA should regulate anything. What’s to be regulated on a plant? You stick the seed in the soil and let it grow. I guess it is a step in the right direction to complete deregulation.

Keirie420 10/19/2009 4:04am

Medicinal Marijuana should be legal throughout the country. No person should ever have their freedom taken away for possession of a plant.

tanzylynne 08/22/2009 10:53am

YES, YES, and YES again! In my state a medical marijuana user is not a criminal. In my view, marijuana use shouldn’t even be a crime. I don’t smoke pot, but I enjoy wine, and how on earth is that any different???

dewby13 08/17/2009 12:48am

Thank you Jr for your thoughtful comment (:
As we are the only ones who have them on here
It just wants to make me vomit :(

It might just be
up to you and me
to reform our inhuman
healthcare, industry

Not by ploys
gadgets
and toys

but through
education, wisdom
and joy ( :

thawkinsjr 08/16/2009 9:00am

It is very true that the main reason that cannabis is opposed as medicine is the fact that cannabis is a natural substance and cannot be patented.

Synthetic THC (the main active ingredients in cannabis) has been on the market for some time as Marinol. This is allowed because the synthetic form is a chemical and has been patented.

Much of the funding and lobbying money that keeps cannabis illegal comes from the pharmaceutical companies because they know that if cannabis were legal for medical use it would cut into their markets. They sure don’t want that to happen, and they will fund whatever keeps cannabis illegal, even if it is a campaign of lies like we see so often.

dewby13 08/11/2009 2:46pm

If we organize and unify our efforts, this bill will not only pass, but will allow other health industries to care for our patients. Right now, as this bill stands, it’s mainly a matter of the FDA and pharmacies.

I do not know why these other health industries, i.e. Naturopathy, Acupuncture, Nutrition, and Herbalists are NOT taking a STAND on this. Maybe they don’t know that this bill is underway. IDK.

But as a VA medical patient myself, I have to seek treatment elsewhere for my medical conditions. Mainly because my Docs continue to prescribe me meds that don’t work. So it sure would be nice, if this matter is not left entirely into the hands of mainstream health care providers. Hint Hint. Wink Wink.

Sincerely,

Patrick D.

dewby13 08/11/2009 2:43pm

If you’d like to help make this bill FAIR, you can. Right now, I’m trying to be actively involved by writing my representatives, and trying to pull various organizations together. I’m faced with odds however, due to organizations not responding back to me in a timely fashion. BUT THIS IS THE KEY. WE HAVE TO PULL TOGETHER so OUR VOICES ARE HEARD.

We have to be active in educating not just the public, but also presenting all willing organizations and associations with the facts. I live down here in Texas and if there is anyone who’d like to contact me and help me accomplish just that, please by all means, shoot me a line.
To be continued, see next comment…

dewby13 08/11/2009 2:03pm

I have some excellent articles listed below regarding how much influence the pharmacy has over it’s own Regulatory Agency (FDA), Doctors, and Politicians, and even our education system.

Articles:

dewby13 08/11/2009 1:30pm

As stated in one of my comments under the “Official Bill Text”, from this point on, I’m going to try to stay objective with my findings as I make them public on here. I’ve stated in the above comment that the pharmacies are given way too much power and that they have a lot of influence over the FDA. Those are bold statements to make without any proof.

I should be more careful before making any more of those kind of statements. However, here is a fact to consider:

Did you know that Pharmaceutical Lobbyists consistently make the biggest contributions to our congressmen. In 2008 alone, over 28,000,000 $$ were given to government officials. See http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?cycle=2010&ind=H04

Other References:

dewby13 08/09/2009 11:00pm

Look, the pharmaceutical industry as a whole are not the bad guys. There’s just a few bad apples that give them a bad reputation. I am slightly biased against the pharmacies, but only because our government gives them way too much power. This is a perfect example of it. Uncle Sam needs to give complete control over to the states. As the bill stands, our Federal Government is still indirectly involved via FDA, which everyone knows the pharmacy has a lot of influence over and vice versa.

Here, Uncle Sam is saying, alright, we’ll let you choose, BUT these are the BIG DOGS you have to go through. That’s intolerable, the FDA and the pharmacies have to stay out of the bill so that other industries may pursue technological advancements in medicine, i.e., naturopathy, acupuncture, nutrition, etc..

Reference:

dewby13 08/09/2009 10:55pm

Everyone, pay particular attention to the bill in Sec.2(D) and Sec.3(4) . I’ve noticed that these clauses give the false pretense of giving the states control over who distributes or produces marijuana. However, this bill is biased towards the pharmaceutical industry. They are being very sneaky and trying to yet again, dupe all of us Americans from AFFORDABLE Treatment!!! I’m very serious folks, they did it with “Marinol” (over 700 $$ for 30 doses at 10mg each!! That’s less than an ounce!!!) and there’s a good chance they’ll do it again with the herb, if we let them.

To be continued, see next comment…