H.R.2943 - Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2009

To eliminate most Federal penalties for possession of marijuana for personal use, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To eliminate most Federal penalties for possession of marijuana for personal use, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2009 as introduced.

• Anonymous 06/24/2009 2:16pm

This will cut costs in the long run to tax payers , stop spending thousands on pot heads . We have alot of nuts killing people . I think you should do more on that end .

dewby13 08/17/2009 9:59pm

I have a question for everybody here because Mr. Anonymous brought up a very good point. Why are these nuts going around killing everybody?

Is it perhaps, just maybe because they have felt like they have been wronged in some way?

If that is the case then the killing was probably preventable. I know for me, one of the biggest reasons I take marijuana is because I’m left with no other choice. You see, a lot of very terrible things have happened to me. I have thoughts of these past events and sometimes I can’t get them out of my head. I get to a point where all I want to do is kill these people who have done these terrible things to me. I then get to a point where I would rather just kill myself because I know if I ever killed anyone it would kill me. It would just eat at me until I went completely insane and who knows what would happen then. To be continued, see next comment…

dewby13 08/17/2009 10:01pm

So you see, I have found that marijuana helps me with my confusion. It’s the ONLY thing I can take and it takes me away. I find myself in the present and all my thoughts of my past go away. You see, for me, it keeps me normal. It prevents me from doing something drastic. Our doctors and our law enforcement should know about this. All Americans should know about this. Because Marijuana really does save lives. It saves lives because it prevents people who have suffered from going completely insane.

So for me I have to use Marijuana, because my only other choice as a civil citizen is to call 911. And where do you think that leads to?

to be continued, see next comment…

dewby13 08/17/2009 10:07pm

Well, it ends me up in some psychiatric unit which is considered to be one of the most cruelest medicines practiced today. They force me to take their drugs and everything spirals downward from there. Because their methods do not work. They do not want to talk to me and ask me what’s on my mind. When they do nd I tell them they try to keep me locked up. Why?

It’s because they think I’m a threat to myself and others. They are afraid that I will carry out my most sadistic thoughts. They are blind however and can’t grasp the idea that I willingly made the choice to turn myself in so that I will not harm myself or others. You see, all I want is for the evil thoughts to go away.

To be continued, see next comment…

dewby13 08/17/2009 10:11pm

However, for me this is a thing of the past. I no longer have to deal with this because I have found that marijuana takes my mind off the past and keeps me in the present. So now I don’t have to ask for help and be treated cruelly. I just simply keep myself normal by smoking pot. Quite frankly, I don’t want to share my baggage with others. I don’t want to go into the details which brings me into even a more confused state. I just want it to all go away.

But now, I have to face the consequences of my actions. That is my action of smoking pot. If I am caught they will take me to jail. So you see, something in our bureaucracy needs to change. Psychos need to have another option than just psychiatry. What they need is compassion.

to be continued, see next comment…

dewby13 08/17/2009 10:13pm

Our society, our children, should be able to freely speak with their doctors about what is bothering them. We should not have to be scared of saying the wrong thing. So why are psychos going around killing people?

Is it because they are psycho? Or could it be because they suffer and they have no doctor that they can trust?

Our society as a whole could heal if our bureaucracy was perhaps a little more understanding. This is why our health care system is broken. It’s because right now, our doctors either cut you or drug you. They do not want to understand you. So I guess we should just all keep our mouths shut about this. Because we know what happens when we start sharing our baggage with others.

Sincerely,

Patrick D.

• up_nord 06/24/2009 3:08pm

What is sad is that the rest of the Congress Critters will probably neglect to see this bill passed through… They still see marijuana as political suicide. The ending of marijuana prohibition is more than just about people wanting to get stoned.

Figure it out legislators. It is about safety, controlling/regulating marijuana (something our drug war and future drug war will not be able to do), take advantage of missed opportunities in marijuana taxation, job creation, and on top of that little stuff is the idea of freedom. Why ban something which the majority of Americans are in favor of is something that will have blowback. If people use marijuana respnsible then let them use it legally. If they abuse, and they already do, then pay the consequences whether illegal or legal.
    ***Most states there is more severe punishment to be caught with personal use amounts of marijuana than it is to be caught drunk-out-of-your-mind driving your car speeding.

Fredamae 06/25/2009 6:02am

DE-Schedule Cannabis at the Federal Level, once and for all.

Cannabis is Not a drug, it is an Efficacious Herbal Alternative; therefore it does Not need regulation under the CSA and the FDA.

Charge a Permit Fee that is divided between City/County/State and Federal Coffers.
    $100.00 per year to allow for personal cultivation and use of no more than 25 plants per household for anyone over 21.
    (example: a household with 3 adults over 21 can cultivate no more than 75 plants at any stage of growth, annually)

“Resource Centers” can disperse CannaProducts to be supplied by State Certified Producers at an annual fee of $1000.00.

The Most Dangerous Element Surrounding the Use of Cannabis Are the Laws, Rules and Policies That Govern It’s Use.

The Public Favors Cannabis De-Scheduling. It Is Not “Political Suicide” and IF Lawmakers Listened to their Constituents Instead of Lobbyists they would see the Political ADVANTAGE of passing this legislation through Unanimously!

powerz 08/19/2009 3:40pm

I think you write congress and get your stoner friends and their stoner friends to write and this thing will pass….but if they don’t contact their reps, you are probably right…congress will think it is political suicide….WRITE THEM!

• jimblq 06/26/2009 2:01pm

Bravo… Fredamae‼
    You too up_nord‼
    With the bills we now have before congress is:
    What is going to happen in the states that already have a “State Tax Stamp” for marijuana? I’m disabled and only get paid once a month, so I have to meet my monthly need of just over quarter pound (eaten) per month. In my state (Texas) my monthly supply would cost me approximately $180 plus $1,587.57 equaling $1,767.57 per month.

Check to see if your state has a stamp at:

• jimblq 06/26/2009 2:20pm

Bravo… Fredamae‼
    You too up_nord‼
    With the bills we now have before congress is:
    Check to see if your state has a stamp at: http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6668
    Yes, I prefer eating over smoking for that is the way God intended it. By blessing your meal you also, bless its contents therefore ritualizing it.

• lead6_87 06/26/2009 8:32pm

This Bill deserves a vote. Responsible and otherwise law abiding, hard working people, who enjoy an afternoon toke do not belong in the giant ball of crap that is the U.S. judicial system. Save room and money for real criminals. Give Police a break and educate young adults and teenagers about cannabis by telling them the truth not bullshit.

• Fredamae 06/27/2009 4:59am

MedCanna Patients Must Be ALLOWED Reciprocity for Interstate Travel!

I am sure this would be of interest to the Tourist Industry.

As far as I know there are No Such restrictions/boundaries for interstate travel regarding any other medicine.

Again:
    A “Reciprocity Agreement” Must be built in to Fully Protect MedCanna Patients for Interstate travel. Non-Negotiable!

CannaMeds Must Be Treated Like ALL Other Medicines.

• scarpe01 06/30/2009 8:07am

I simply do not see how this country can claim moral superiority on any issue, while it still treats its own people like animals simply because of what they choose to grow on their own land, and put into their own bodies.

So long as prohibitions like this remain on the books, I dare say, that our flag and constitution are worth toilet paper, and would be desecrated less by use as such.

• svetsy 07/03/2009 8:15am

SO it is either billions a year to a war on a victimless crime, or legalization and regulation. Hopefully congress will pick the latter but they will most likely go with the former.

• losingliberty09 07/07/2009 3:40am

I have never heard of anyone overdosing and dying from pot.

• Rick155 07/14/2009 3:44pm

I’m in favor of this bill, but the language needs to be tightened up on “personal use.” The bill provides a personal use presumption for amounts < 100 gr but that doesn’t mean an amount over 100 gr couldn’t also be for personal use. Or does it? No need for ambiguity. For the sake of clarity it should set forth a ceiling beyond which the presumption runs the other way.

• cchristian 07/15/2009 1:47pm

I am strongly in favor of passing this bill. All of the above comments in favor of this are articulate, intelligent and demonstrate what is true in my case; that in my 45 years (true!) of sporadically using marijuana I have probably not lost even one brain cell. How many 60 year old alcoholics could say that?

• lead6_87 07/22/2009 6:48am

As proponents for the legalization of marijuana we have to convince representatives in both the House and the Senate that we aren’t being soft on drugs just sensible on drug policy. This bill has 9 co-sponsors which is excellent but more are needed to draw the kind of attention this bill really needs. Most consider tackling the issue political suicide, its our obligation and our right as American citizens to express our opinions to the people who govern this country when we want something changed. Tremendous benefits will arise from the legal tax and sale of cannabis. Please write, call, or email your representatives, senators, congress people, etc.

• LordHornswoggle 07/22/2009 8:07am

The fact that many reps personally support this bill, but will not do so openly, testifies to thier timidity and inability to stand up for what they and their constituents believe is right. Unfortunately for this bill, I do not believe it is broad enough in scope, but you have to start somewhere. I would be more in favor of a tax levied on cannabis sales, and a “Home Grown” approach to the cultivation industry. This would create many new employment opportunities, greater tax revenue, and could be one of the answers to our use of fossil fuels, not to mention the environmental benefit of this amazing plant.

• dewby13 08/13/2009 8:04am

There are some really thoughtful comments here. I’ve been posting comments on the, “Bill 2835, Medical Marijuana”. You guys should come on over and take a look at them.

@ Fredamae,
    You have a very excellent point, cannabis is a herbal plant. And because of that, we as Americans are given a born given right to grow and distribute it in it’s natural raw state without any FDA Regulation. However, since this herb has been put on the Controlled Substance List by our great legislators of the past we have the DEA to contend with.

Folks, do you realize that there are Drug Czars and Congressmen that have declared a, WAR ON DRUGS!!!

Now I’m a disabled veteran and when I hear the word “war”, several things come to mind:

1) Intelligence
    2) Logistics
    3) Tactics

To be continued, see next comment…

• dewby13 08/13/2009 9:01am

So look, I’m new to all of this. Don’t laugh, but I’ve been going to school getting my education in medicine trying to find something other than pot that will help me cope day to day. Boy, have I been duped!!!

I was really shocked to find out that our medical community and scientists have ALREADY contributed a lot of research into a plant that has cost them their careers and freedom. Folks, we couldn’t ask a better group of peeps to fight for our right to health and well-being…

So Guys, I’ve been doing me some Intelligence Gathering for the past 2 weeks.
    I’ve been posting my findings however on the Medical Bill side. Guys, I don’t want to bust your bubble but this bill(2943) is just another tactic from those who declare war on drugs to divide and conquer thus thwarting either of the bills from being passed…
    To be continued, see next comment…

• dewby13 08/13/2009 9:05am

Folks, war can get dirty, and from my findings, I’ve found a lot of dirt, on a lot of different peeps. So I’m asking for your guys help, please join my efforts on the medical marijuana bill. Us American Citizens need to come together and form an Ad Hoc committee, regarding these bills. I propose, something like, “Concerned Citizen for Health Rights”. We need to have three teams, Civil Intelligence, Civil Logistics, and Civil Tactics. I can’t do this alone. So please, if your willing to help, shoot me a line and together we’ll win our rights back.

Sincerely,

Patrick D.

• thawkinsjr 08/16/2009 9:08am

Each year more than 700,000 people are arrested for marijuana offenses, costing American taxpayers more than $7 billion annually. I am sure that this enormous amount of money could be put to far, far better use.

For instance, the money saved from ending marijuana prohibition could more than double the budget of the National Science Foundation (NSF), a federal agency whose mission is “to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; to secure the national defense …”

Recently, the NSF has conducted research in areas as diverse as the New Orleans levees, better algorithms for detecting cancer genes, and an electronic Braille tutor.

Shouldn’t we focus our country’s resources on this kind of valuable scientific research rather than on the senseless pursuit of marijuana users?

• dewby13 08/17/2009 12:02pm

I have a vision how beautiful it is
    A dream that knocks on my door
    As I slumber in peace
    And my subconscious within me
    takes over

Its that of a nation
    with health care as one
    and because of it
    we will make breakthroughs
    in medicine like never seen before

Oh Yes we will
    We will make
    leaps and bounds
    We will heal

Our children will be
    fostered in love
    Our Elderly will be
    Well taken care of

Our sick will recover
    our soldiers will be stronger
    And as a nation we will
    All Stand in Compassion

This is my dream
    My brothers and sisters
    My heart cries out to all
    who will make a stand
    In Compassion with me

I have been given a revelation
    For only a dream like this
    can have been revealed to me
    from a Genius much greater than me

Oh yes, this will happen
    Oh my brothers and sisters of compassion
    Will you let my Great Teacher Lead?

He is the most humble, most compassionate, and the greatest genius
    that anyone could ever be!!!

• powerz 08/19/2009 3:49pm

If every pot smoker you know were to get every pot smoker they know to contact their reps in congress this will pass. I am pushing all of my friends to get off of their hands and get after this. This might be the best chance we have to have the right thing done.

Mexican drug lords be damned!

• dewby13 08/19/2009 7:46pm

My friend, even dem’ mehicas are full of compassion (:

• dewby13 08/19/2009 8:34pm

This is a story where I was lost and confused, when I had run away and was in the streets and didn’t know where to go… It was raining, I was drenched and cold. I hid from de fellas with blades and guns… I hap across a grove of trees, so dark I collapsed to my knees… Exhausted, I drifted, closed my eyes… A snap, a crack, my eyes flew open but the mist the darkness, it clouded my vision… I picked myself up, my ears strained, as my heart thumped softly… Crept so slowly so no one would know, but what do you know…
    happened to hap across a few, mehicas…

to be continued, see next comment…

• dewby13 08/19/2009 8:36pm

So startled, froze, the all of us, as we stared in the eyes to see each others’ thoughts… The silence, the strangeness, oh how it rattled us, and this is what happened my friends… I gasped, I shrugged, threw my arms up and we all broke out in laughter… You see, they welcomed me into their bungalow crafted from sticks and stones, and fed me, gave me drink, and we sung a prattle, a tongue… A tongue that crosses all boundaries… Not the tongue of man but a tongue unspoken… A tongue of compassion… That’s where it’s all at, my friends………

These are the stories that will never end…..

• Fireman096 08/24/2009 5:21am

presciption drug companies lobby to keep Cannabis off the shelves because they would lose alot of business peddeling their poison for anxiety, pain management, and a host of other ailments they charge for .