H.R.3200 - America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009

America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 view all titles (5)

• Official: America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as reported to house.

Displaying 1-30 of 2046 total comments.

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

Andrea1318 07/14/2009 4:43pm
    + 23

We should strive for healthcare for all Americans but anything that has to be rushed through is suspect. Quite frankly, we can’t afford it. Sorry but I don’t trust politicians who make promises and I’m certain that if this gets rammed through, we will regret it. People need to remember that the federal government doesn’t make money, they are spending OUR money. Healthcare is important to be sure, but we have to get our finances in order first. This is just too expensive and governmant has a pretty poor track record when it comes to spending money wisely or creating effective program.

msclaudia 07/24/2009 8:56am

If this bill is so wonderful, why are the people voting on it, including Obama himself, going to be exempt from enrolling in this plan? When you ‘do as I say, not as I do’, you are a dictator!!!
    He took more time to pick out a dog than he is giving to Congress to vote on this bill.
    I DON"T WANT MORE GOVERNMENT IN MY LIFE….I WANT LESS!!!!!
    These people need to RE-read the constitution…and reinstate it fully!

Filtered Comment [ show ]

lux113 08/11/2009 9:15pm

Liberate the Iraqi’s…. riiiight. That’s what the war was about hmm?

So you think the war was to liberate Iraq.. and you think health care reform is an attack on America and the constitution.. I imagine you thought Bush was ‘a pretty good guy’ too.

mqpoppell 08/14/2009 1:58pm
    + 10

President Bush did alot that hurt the U.S. constitution, but that does not mean that President Obama is doing any better. This bill proposes so many new programs that run in opposition to the principles of the constitution that I can not support it. I hope everyone has good health care, but no one can provide it to everyone. The cost is too high and I do not mean money. Freedoms will be lost and that always leads to tyranny. I do not mean that President Obama wants tyranny, but over time evil mean will use these bad laws to bind us. It has happened in many once great nations.

pgfnyc 08/15/2009 10:22am

Exactly what principles of the constitution does the health care bill and its programs run in opposition?

Filtered Comment [ show ]

• Moderated Comment

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Filtered Comment [ show ]

scopemonkey 08/21/2009 11:29pm

If you want to know the value of any patient, look no farther than their insurance benefit package. Its called lifetime maximum benefit. Mine is $2 M according to Blue Shield. My friend’s is only $500K. Who determined that? All systems have “beancounters” for your health and I sure am tired of some for-profit corporate bureaucrat standing between me and my patients. They maximize profit by denying care and answer to their shareholders and not the “insured.” This forum is a testament to the public option—government answers to us. When’s the last time a private insurance company held a Town Hall meeting? Try expressing your opinion at a board meeting of Aetna/BlueCross/Foundation Health/etc and see how far you get.

Here’s relief for your psyche: “end of life” means when your life ends, as in death. It isn’t vague at all.

willison8 09/03/2009 5:30pm

Try suing the government and see how far you get. At least I can sue if I think I’m being mistreated by my insurer. Of course H.R. 3200 allows for grievances but who is the arbiter? The same bureaucracy that caused you the grievance in the first place. Government may be accountable to us collectively but certainly not individually. I can not trust the public-option not only because it can not offer a suitable redress of offense but also because it must limit my options for alternative insurance.

cbsullivan16 10/12/2009 6:29pm

First, there is nothing in this bill that says you need to choose a public plan. If you’re worried about your inability to sue the government and happy with your current coverage, by all means continue (though I think that you over-estimate your chances against a private insurer since the policies explicitly state that they are permitted to deny coverage, set maximum coverage limits, etc.) Second, I think that given the high levels of satisfaction with Medicare (government-run), I think that you should calm down and realize that the government is at least not trying to deliberately screw you (unlike the private insurers). Finally, I think that our society needs to move beyond this idea of suing at the drop of a hat. This behavior is part of what has driven up the cost of our healthcare so high. Who benefits? Mainly the lawyers.

ProudVirginian 09/05/2009 1:48pm

Being free to buy in to a plan is voting with your dollars. We don’t need Aetna to have a town hall meeting because Aetna, unlike the gov’t, is not and can not impose laws that create fines for those who do not subscribe to their service. If Aetna is such a poor company, and I’m not just talking about Aetna, I’m just using A. as an example, then businesses, schools, individuals etc. would not choose them as a provider. The freer the market the more democratic the society. Socialism is restrictive and anti-democratic, and this bill has the potential for abuse that will can lead to tyranny and socialism.

nfcooper 09/11/2009 3:37pm

You’re rignt ProudVirginian. Aetna can’t impose laws, they just change their policy. Without regulation, they will continue to deny coverage and treatment when they deem it necessary.

ProfessorMVAF 09/12/2009 5:31pm

But when will this all unfold, Virginian? I am an economist, and I don’t disagree that you are describing one of a few scenarios, but I think what you are seeing is one low probability scenario that will take a generation to play out.

By then, climate change battles and vastly shifting international political battle lines will be our major priority. I just don’t see tyranny as a non-trivial outcome here.

Unless you’re an MD and only 40ish and are counting on substantial wealth? Or a health insurance industry exec or lobbyist? I do see some victims here, but not terribly sympathetic victims.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Diana361 10/18/2009 6:30am

As a nurse I can say there is nothing wrong with our “health care” our doctors do a great job. The problem is insurance reform! We need to make insurance companies responsible for their policies and not have these loops they can slip through to drop someone who has been paying for decades because they get sick or need an expensive surgery!

I don’t understand why the goverment is trying to fix something that is not broken.

Most doctors offer a lower cost for uninsured individuals as my husband and I were for many years…you just have to talk to the doctors and find out if they do or do not work with patients and payment plans.

LucasFoxx 10/19/2009 6:19pm

Don’t let the lobbyists throw you. You are exactly right. The problem is not the primary providers it’s the insurance. It’s the access to the care, not the actual care. That’s primarily what the government is trying to fix.

AesSedai 10/25/2009 3:36am

@LucasFoxx

Access?

LucasFoxx 10/25/2009 8:39pm

And another one signs on to this site to muddy the waters.

suzieqs 11/05/2009 10:15pm

I don’t know why you say our health care system isn’t broken. I have not had any insurance for over 5 years, trying to be a self pay for any health care has become a beast for me.
    I began having seizures in 2007, as a self-pay, the hospital in my area charges $107 for my dilantin level, where some of the area labs only charge $25-30 for the same test. You tell me why our hospitals are charging the self pay or uninsured higher fees.
    Yes, they may offer payment plans, but usually the cost is higher, for example, if I could make the payment in full for a 23 hr in hospital observation they would have reduced my bill by $2,000, but otherwise I would have to pay the entire cost.
    If they would have used a sliding scale to charge fees for service based on a patient’s income level our government would not have to step in.

goldfever01 02/26/2010 8:53am

Why don’t we hear from Doctors on this issue?

csgal65 10/12/2009 9:26am

I have not been on this forum long, but you appear to be a clear voice of reason. I commend you.

scopemonkey 08/21/2009 11:38pm

The government isn’t going to pay for your living will. The government is going to allow your doctor to be reimbursed for his/her time to discuss the issues about a living will, Do-not-Resuscitate orders/Life sustaining measures, etc. This a covered benefit under the plan, so if you want, you can set up a consultation with your doctor to discuss these issues. It is just like any other counseling visit—like diabetic education, etc only this pertains to end-of-life issues and patient desires. This is empowering patients, not making decisions for them.

AesSedai 10/25/2009 3:40am

@scopemonkey

That service is offered free of charge with either the hospitals chaplain, social worker or anyone not busy at the time that knows a thing or two about a very simple thing.

goldfever01 02/26/2010 9:00am

What on earth did people do 1000 years ago when they died? Now we have what is called a “will” any type of “will”, why not use that good ole sytem. Talk to who you want. Why should we be told who and when we talk about death. Next, you bring up death and they put you on a suicide watch.