H.R.3200 - America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009

America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 view all titles (5)

• Official: America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as reported to house.

Displaying 1831-1860 of 2046 total comments.

oderintdummetuant 10/04/2009 4:41am

I love that you are mad that someone else makes more money or is in a better situation than you are. Here’s a thought, take advantage of what this country already affords you….OPPORTUNITY. Improve your life. Don’t get mad because others are smarter, worked harder or took big risks and it paid off, go do better for yourself. The fact that we are all ready subsidizing health care for those who don’t pay for insurance is no defense to creating/instituting new taxes or penalties simply because the “haves” do in fact have.
    You attribute never having to go without insurance to “fortunate enough to be wealthy or lucky” but you don’t even consider maybe they just worked harder than you, sacrificed lifestyle choices that you haven’t or a host of other possibilities. You just throw a tantrum claiming that their “fat” paycheck is something you earn for them?

Fool.

LucasFoxx 10/04/2009 11:26pm

I’m not mad at people that make outrageaous sums of money, I just don’t understand greed. Without writing a biography, I’ll just say I make enough. I didn’t always, and I had to work hard to get here. Your presumptions are wrong. Being intellegent with strong work ethics is not enough to make money. They need to know how to make money. But where would we be without the people who know how to fix your computers, or build your roads or cook your food, or clean your sewers, ….

oderintdummetuant 10/05/2009 5:07am

Its not a presumption, my comments were directed solely at the statements you made. Your claim that intelligence and strong work ethics are not enough is laughable. This bill has nothing to do with teaching “them” how to make money, it has to do with giving them money or benefits that the rest of us have earned. Bottom line, personal responsibility and accountability. Again, it seems that is just asking too much.

LucasFoxx 10/05/2009 8:30am

You haven’t earned anymore right to health care than any of the rest of us. Wealth is not a sign of intelligence or hard work. And it certainly doesn’t mean you are any better for the future of this country then the guy who picks up your garbage or does your dry cleaning. Neither is it evidence of your personal responsibility or accountability. The lack of a moral compass has never prevented anyone from making money, but the reverse is often true. I could have made a fortune preying on other people, but I have a conscience. That is not to accuse you specifically, but the examples are abundant.

TSpringer59 10/05/2009 1:20pm

Lucas,
    Today, however, we are seeing the rise of principled immorality in this country. We are seeing a total abandonment by the intellectuals and the politicians of the moral principles on which the U.S. was founded. We are seeing the complete destruction of the concept of rights. The original American idea has been virtually wiped out, ignored as if it had never existed. The rule now is for politicians to ignore and violate men’s actual rights, while arguing about a whole list of rights never dreamed of in this country’s founding documents — rights which require no earning, no effort, no action at all on the part of the recipient.

LucasFoxx 10/05/2009 2:59pm

There is a lot in the world that was never dreamed of at the founding of this country. That is why the constitution is considered a living document.

LucasFoxx 10/05/2009 3:19pm

Sorry. Didn’t mean to say that is WHY it is considered a living document, the ability to modify it is what makes it a living document. I agree about the violation of actual rights. Allowing corporations to be treated as an individual under the law is causing the very problems we are debating now. Group Health being allowed to act as an individual instead of a collection of individuals makes them an almost insurmountable obstacle to democracy.

TSpringer59 10/05/2009 3:49pm

That is why the U.S. system defines rights as it does, strictly as the rights to action. This was the approach that made the U.S. the first truly free country in all world history — and, soon afterwards, as a result, the greatest country in history, the richest and the most powerful. It became the most powerful because its view of rights made it the most moral. It was the country of individualism and personal independence. The United States Constitution is the shortest and oldest written constitution still in use by any nation in the world today, I suspect because of the simple, yet powerful, principles used as its foundation.

LucasFoxx 10/05/2009 5:23pm

“A lack of wealth is certainly a sign of a lack of intelligence or at least poor decision making skills or hard work.” You are far too humble.

And myopic. There is nothing I could possibly say that would make you sacrifice your life, let alone one thin dime, for your fellow American; so I’ll leave it at that.

oderintdummetuant 10/05/2009 7:12pm

I am a Captain in the U.S. Army and have served two combat tours in Iraq so far. You know nothing of sacrificing for your country. Having held together the body of my soldiers I believe I have a vague concept of sacrificing for my fellow American. The freedoms you enjoy I provide and you have only the vaguest comprehension of what this country was founded on and the principles on which its power, history, reputation and economy are based.

LucasFoxx 10/05/2009 11:12pm

Then thank-you for your service. But I don’t understand why you do it. You don’t seem to have any concern for anyone but yourself. Duty, Honor, and Country does not make us wealthy, and your sense of honor and duty is suspect.

oderintdummetuant 10/06/2009 4:55am

The country I defend requires the same from each of us, without excuse we are all provided the same thing. Opportunity. Sure some have it better than others to start but thats not some great evil, because every person in the United States can elevate their life if the simply want to, history has taught us that. “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned – this is the sum of good government.” Thomas Jefferson “I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” Thomas Jefferson “The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.” Benjamin Franklin

LucasFoxx 10/06/2009 1:59pm

“Those seeking profits, were they given total freedom, would not be the ones to trust to keep government pure and our rights secure. Indeed, it has always been those seeking wealth who were the source of corruption in government. No other depositories of power have ever yet been found, which did not end in converting to their own profit the earnings of those committed to their charge.”

-Thomas Jefferson in an 1816 letter to Samuel Kerchival

LucasFoxx 10/06/2009 2:00pm

(continued)“I am not among those who fear the people. They, and not the rich, are our dependence for continued freedom. … We must make our election between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. … [Otherwise], as the people of England are, our people, like them, must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, … and the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live, as they now do, on oatmeal and potatoes; have no time to think, no means of calling the mismanagers to account; but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow sufferers.”
    -Thomas Jefferson in an 1816 letter to Samuel Kerchival

oderintdummetuant 10/07/2009 1:58pm

You want to quote Jefferson to me? Ok.
    A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference.

Delay is preferable to error.

Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.

Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories.

oderintdummetuant 10/07/2009 2:05pm

CONTINUED
    Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

I am mortified to be told that, in the United States of America, the sale of a book can become a subject of inquiry, and of criminal inquiry too.

I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.

I own that I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.

Money, not morality, is the principle commerce of civilized nations.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

There’s more if you want.

oderintdummetuant 10/06/2009 5:02am

What makes this country wealthy is unrestrained capitalism, regulated but unrestrained. Yes we have more resources based, if nothing else, on the youth of our nation, but our wealth stems from being a capitalist leader in the world and from being hard workers. So yeah, Duty and Honor do contribute to our wealth. This country strength came from parents wanting better for their children….today its parents borrowing from their children with no thought as to how their kids will afford it. Yes we need reform and regulation. Ben Franklin said “Mine is better than ours”, I agree. Yes I’m selfish and greedy, congratulations you’ve just discovered what drives the free market economy. Its odd to me that in the market place of ideas the left can ONLY see a public option, like its a silver bullet gonna fix it all.

LucasFoxx 10/06/2009 1:53pm

The Ben Franklin line is just a joke. Here are a couple more bi-spectacled witticisms for you.

“A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle.”
    Benjamin Franklin

“He does not possess wealth; it possesses him.”
    Benjamin Franklin

“He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money.”
    Benjamin Franklin

“Your net worth to the world is usually determined by what remains after your bad habits are subtracted from your good ones.”
    Benjamin Franklin

oderintdummetuant 10/07/2009 2:16pm

Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.

God helps those who help themselves.

Half a truth is often a great lie.

He that waits upon fortune, is never sure of a dinner.

Industry need not wish.

No nation was ever ruined by trade.

There is no kind of dishonesty into which otherwise good people more easily and frequently fall than that of defrauding the government.

Want some more Franklin? Don’t mistake what our founding fathers said with your politics. Their beliefs are in fact the way in which we were founded and the system you think doesn’t work.

LucasFoxx 10/07/2009 6:54pm

I recognize many of those sentence fragments. You should take some time and actually study American history. You just look ridiculous pulling bits and pieces that mischaracterize the man.

oderintdummetuant 10/07/2009 7:26pm

Its funny, when you make a baseless accusation and talk about me be ignorant with out any supporting comments. Take a look to the right of all these comments. See where it says __% Users Support Bill? Whats that number? Pretty sure as ridiculous as I look….I’m in the majority.
    Tell me how I don’t know American History? Then I’ll tell you what my degree is in. Then you can trash the school I went to and I’ll tell you how elitist that is of you.
    If you think I’ve got it all wrong then prove me wrong, show everyone how silly I am, don’t act like a baby or better yet don’t act like a monkey and just get all huffy and fling your poo everywhere.

bkrueg 10/08/2009 7:03am

Obama’s Attorney General, Eric Holder, has apparently hired a cadre of left-wing, Democrat campaign bloggers to troll through the Internet looking for news stories and blog posts that denigrate the Obama agenda. After such websites are found it is the job of these secret lefty bloggers to leave comments that come to the support of Obamaism in the comments sections. It seems that Eric Holder has created his own little propaganda unit in a valiant effort to become the Bloggi Riefenstahl of the Obama era.

As reported at The Muffled Oar, a blog that first broke the story of Holder’s secretive blogging unit — dubbed the “Blog Squad” by blogger Isaac Muzzey — Holder has housed this unit in the Office of Public Affairs at the Department of Justice. It also appears that former John Edwards staffer Tracy Russo is part of this special unit.

LucasFoxx 10/06/2009 2:01pm

Theodore Roosevelt is another favorite of mine: “We must drive the special interests out of politics. The citizens of the United States must effectively control the mighty commercial forces which they have themselves called into being. There can be no effective control of corporations while their political activity remains.”

bkrueg 10/06/2009 3:10pm

A new value-added tax (VAT) is “on the table” to help the U.S. address its fiscal liabilities, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Monday night.
    “They get a tax off of that and they use that money to pay the healthcare for their own workers,” Pelosi said, using the example of auto manufacturers.
    The only way Obama can get the un-constitutional HR-3200 past the Supreme Court is to lie to the American people and tell them it is an insurance or health care reform bill while telling the Supreme Court it is a new tax for an American benefit. After all, that is what FDR had to do with the Social Security (SS) bill and look how well that is working. OBAMA LIES, this is a new tax on the American People with no accounting just like Social Security. Any one see a LOCK BOX? The money will go into the general fund and then to the Pork Barrel Projects just as bankrupt SS. IT IS JUST A POWER GRAB.

oderintdummetuant 10/07/2009 1:53pm

You are right about Roosevelt he had some great things to say….like…“Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.”
    “Every reform movement has a lunatic fringe.”
    “A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education”
    “It is difficult to make our material condition better by the best law, but it is easy enough to ruin it by bad laws.”
    “Probably the greatest harm done by vast wealth is the harm that we of moderate means do ourselves when we let the vices of envy and hatred enter deep into our own natures.”
    All courtesy of Theodore Roosevelt.

LucasFoxx 10/05/2009 5:58pm

I would like to agree that we can avoid amending the constitution. At the time it was all we needed. Rugged Individualism and “personal independence” are not what they used to be. A person is not free, for example, to just wander west and live off of the land.

But I think you have it backwards. It is not the morality of our rights that made us powerful, it was 150-200 years of tapping virgin resources and under regulated capitalism. It is the Constitution and our, generally, national respect for humanity and the rights of the individual that we are most admired for and most proud of.

Those values have been carried by those of us that have served this country all over the world. I suppose there is some power in that; I’ll give you that much.

bkrueg 10/06/2009 3:47pm

OBAMA AND HIS BAG OF CHEEP TRICKS FOR HALLOWEEN.
    Not only did the four doctors who flanked President Obama at his White House press event on Monday recommend his plan; three out of four of them donated to his presidential campaign.
    “Accordingly, 3 out of 4 doctors agree, contributing to the President’s campaign gets you a great photo-op!” joked one Republican Hill staffer
    OBAMA HAS NO RESPECT FOR ANYONE.

ecce_ego 10/16/2009 4:05am

I hate to tell you, but the only rights you have are the Inalienable Rights and those few granted to you by the constitution. Everything else that you enjoy in this country is a privilege- a result of democracy in action. I believe it costs less in the long run to pitch in to take care of those of my fellow Americans who need it. And one of the rights I have as an American is to vote for someone who will legislate as I see fit. As do you.

We should all really be against the corporation, the legal entity that is given the same rights as us, even though they are made of thousands of people and billions of dollars. These are the ‘people’ in ‘We the People’ now. A government that serves all the people cannot exist when corporations exist, nor can a free market. But, just as some want a necessity of life with “no earning, no effort, no action at all on the part of the recipient”, others want their own self-gratification with no liability. Plus they get much more welfare than the poor.

ecce_ego 10/16/2009 4:09am

I disagree about the ‘moral principles’ upon which this nation was founded. This nation is ten times more moral today than it was then. Black people are no longer considered property or 3/5 of a person, women are no longer considered property or somehow worse than men, it’s no longer legal to beat your wife, everyone is allowed to vote, not just the rich, everyone is allowed to own land, etc. We have been improving with age, despite what your fantasies while watching old movies lead you to believe. And a good reason for that improvement is because intellectuals try to learn and grow.

oderintdummetuant 10/05/2009 4:02pm

There is no “right to health care”. Thats your misconception. There is the right to earn and provide health care/health insurance. “Wealth is not a sign of intelligence or hard work”….I agree however the reverse is often true. A lack of wealth is certainly a sign of a lack of intelligence or at least poor decision making skills or hard work. Evidence of personal responsibility and accountability is that I do in fact provide for myself and don’t ask for hand outs because its just too hard for me to provide for myself.