H.R.3200 - America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009

America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 view all titles (5)

• Official: America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as reported to house.

Displaying 181-210 of 2046 total comments.

Nolander 09/09/2009 5:59pm

I was going to ask the same question pgfnyc is asking to respond to your comment.

bhumphreys52 09/25/2009 12:54pm

I am sorry, but your logic escapes anything that resembles normal. The cost of health care is rising at an incredible rate. The US will spend 33 trillion with a T in the next ten years on health care if we do nothing. Health care reform is the only way those costs can be controlled. We already provide health care to everyone; it just isn’t good health care. None of your freedoms will be lost that is a red herring. In fact you may gain some freedoms. The freedom of knowing if you get sick you will not lose everything you have worked for. You will be free to change jobs without losing you health insurance. So tell me specifically what programs run against what principles? Wait have you been listening to Mr. Beck? If you have I urge you to seek reality and try not to see a conspiracy around every corner.

oderintdummetuant 09/25/2009 3:19pm

Specifically the program that runs against my principle of freedom of choice is that when you require me to buy health insurance or pay a penalty you are forcing me to do “x” or be punished for not doing it. What about my choice to not participate for my own reasons on my own schedule?

You are asking me to provide for people who out of laziness have chosen not to provide for themselves. 85% of the country does not need this, so we are going to violate their rights for the 15% that won’t.

My one voice…I will oppose, fight, subvert and do everything in my power to ensure this kind of legislation fails. Reform, yeah I’m with you but requiring citizens to purchase health insurance or face a penalty is wrong.

bhumphreys52 09/26/2009 8:48am

You know very few people who don’t have health insurance are lazy. Most are workers that can’t afford the high cost of $400 to $800 a month for basic insurance. You will subvert(cheat and lie) to make sure health care is not affordable to those who despertly need it?

oderintdummetuant 09/26/2009 9:27am

Prove that “very few people who don’t have health insurance are lazy. Most are workers that can’t afford the high cost of $400 to $800 a month for basic insurance”.

Yes, I will lie, cheat and do all manner of other immoral things to protect my individual liberty.

Show me that people sans health insurance are not in that situation out of laziness. See…I provide for my family and I’m not lazy so it can’t be as you claim that they are just working so hard and just can’t do it.

bhumphreys52 09/27/2009 8:18am

Just look up the median income for most Americans and then factor in the cost of living. Then remember that half of Americans make less than the median. Depending on what income group someone is in will determine if they can afford health insurance. These of course are working Americans that bust their butt at a job every day.

I am pleased that you can afford your health insurance. The opportunities afforded you may not have been available to everyone.

Obviously your moral compass is much different than mine. I hold truth and justice as beacon by which I guide my life. I like to look beyond just me and see what I can do to help others. The greed of me does not do our Country any service.

oderintdummetuant 09/27/2009 10:43am

See now thats just the problem….“the greed of me does not do our Country any service”. Have you ever studied economics? or accounting? Greed in fact DRIVES the free market economy.
    The opportunities afforded me…thats what America is..its the land of opportunity, thats why they call it the “American Dream” and not the German, French, Swiss, Canadian, British, Spanish or any other dream.
    Prove to me that “These of course are working Americans that bust their butt at a job every day”. Eat ramen noodles, buy a 20 year old clunker, get rid of cable, internet and the cell phone, stop buying the name brand clothes and do whatever else to change your lifestyle that way you can afford health insurance….like I do.

bhumphreys52 09/27/2009 1:33pm

If someone stops buying name brand cloths they can afford health insurance. So everyone should live in cardboard boxes so they can buy health insurance? Stop buying food so they can afford medicine for their children? Bye the way I have health insurance and I make a good living and I don’t need to stop buying what I want, this is not about me. Opportunities depend on many things in America, where you are born, what teachers you have, whether you have good health care when you’re young. “Ya them people just need to pull themselves up by their boot straps” What a load of crap! It’s not what you know it’s who you know. I don’t need to prove to you that working Americans bust their butts, you need to prove to me they don’t. The house you live in, the car you drive, the highways you drive on was likely built by some of those people. I don’t know what world you live in, but you need to get out more often. And greed must always be watched so that evil is not done.

oderintdummetuant 09/27/2009 5:18pm

Take a look to the right of all these comments. You see where it says “support” and “oppose”. Take a look at the numbers. In all this time there has only come to be 21% support for this legislation…on this site. This is a decidedly left leaning forum (read Donny Shaw’s opine’s, more often than not they are liberal in ideology). Don’t get all huffy with me. You made a claim that “most Americans that can’t afford health insurance are hard working…blah blah blah”. I simply ask you to support that claim. My support for the claim that they aren’t working hard enough or sacrificing enough is based on the simple fact that I do work hard and I do afford it. The world I live in is one that I’ve fought for, I’ve lost brothers fighting on behalf of and I’ll see people dying in the streets from the common cold before I willingly allow my government to demand that I provide for them. And by the look of the numbers even here…., I’m not the only one.

TSpringer59 10/04/2009 3:30pm

Unfortunately, The US is ALREADY considered a Welfare State (to no fault of either President), which is in drastic contradiction to the rights and freedoms afforded its citizens by the Constitution.

“According to the first model the state is primarily concerned with directing the resources to “the people most in need”. This requires a tight bureaucratic control over the people concerned, with a maximum of interference in their lives to establish who are “in need” and minimize cheating. The unintended result is that there is a sharp divide between the receivers and the producers of social welfare, between “us” and “them”, the producers tending to dismiss the whole idea of social welfare because they will not receive anything of it. This model is dominant in the US."
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_state)

Keep looking for knowledge!

nswaoui 10/23/2009 6:24am

Are you living on the same planet? I hope you don’t have a deductible of $5000 like me and my family do, and if you do then keep drinking your kool aid.

bkrueg 10/23/2009 8:08am

By Steve Foley – Posted on September 23rd, 2009
    Gallop Poll: 80% of Americans Satisfied with Health Care, Including 61% Satisfied with Cost
    PRINCETON, NJ — Americans are broadly satisfied with the quality of their own medical care and healthcare costs, but of the two, satisfaction with costs lags. Overall, 80% are satisfied with the quality of medical care available to them, including 39% who are very satisfied. Sixty-one percent are satisfied with the cost of their medical care, including 20% who are very satisfied.

abaratar 10/24/2009 4:52pm

this bill allows for 10 thousand a year in co-pays and deductibles it also triples your monthly premium if you cant afford insurance now how are you going to afford 3 times what your are currently paying?

utbeast46 10/26/2009 6:11am

i disagree on bush hurting us he was hit with huge problems like the world trade center attack hurricane catrina, no one could have seen that coming and i support bush on the war if we had not stood up for are country they would of attacked again think about that atleast your safe and not lying burried alive in the ruins of a building like many others had to on sep-11 never forget why were fighting or why we went.

FLarlene 10/28/2009 10:59am

Bush and the US constitution used in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

cooperbry 10/30/2009 5:10am

I think that war was just to remove Sadam Husein because he wouldn’t accept dollars for oil. He would only accept euros. It was to show him who’s boss. It was just convenient timing after 9/11 and WMD scare.

Bredman 08/12/2009 6:39am

I believe that has been replaced under the former administration with; “FOR THE CORPORATION BY THE COPORATION, WE HEREBY GRANT THESE RESTRICTIONS”

jimprjayp 08/18/2009 2:13am

That would be cute if it weren’t actually the case. My state government is now set up as a corporate administrative board. I can’t even figure out why. I mean, are they double dipping salaries? One for governor and one ceo?

rcutler 07/29/2009 6:52pm

Want less government in your life…okay let’s allow the for profit HMO’s multimillion dollar salaried executives decide how often you are allowed to see the doctor and what level of services you will get. Remember, they are here to make money and they do so by charging more money for premiums and spending as little as possible on you.

If you want less government social programs what about getting rid of public works (water & sewage), libraries, schools, and the post office, and privatize them? I don’t know about you, but I think all of these services are great deals for the public.

Check out HR676 (expansion of Medicare for all). It will not pass because it would dissolves 90% of HMO’s business. However, HR 3200 is a good compromise as long as it has the public option, and as long as it is funded enough to work.

If done right the public option will eventually bury the HMO business, therefore, they are going to fight like hell to kill any public option.

mattpileggi 07/31/2009 8:03am

You arguments are misguided.

1. HMO’s are a result of the socialistic HMO Act of 1973 (now expired but responsible for their structure) and their problems give just a glimpse into how bad HR 3200 would be
    1. Public works and libraries are funded by municipality and State funds. They are not federally socialistic programs. The US Government was designed so that the State governments (and ideally their smaller townships and counties) would have sole responsibility for taking care of their citizens, no such power is granted to the Federal government.
    1. In almost all cases, private schools outperform their public counterparts. The Department of Education has long been a target of conservative and libertarian groups as Federal interference has been dragging our education system down continually. If we can restore and reform public schools so that they are funded by local and State taxes only (see #2) then we will start to see a much better education available to all.
    mqpoppell 08/14/2009 2:01pm

Thank you for understanding the limited powers of our constitution. Please continue to teach them with clarity. Great post.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

americanmuscle 08/15/2009 3:33pm

The point you should take from private schools compared to public is not that poor kids can’t learn but that private schools run more efficiently. Insurance does need reform but it will be way more efficient than any government service.

oberon06 08/18/2009 11:33am

While public schools certainly have their flaws, imagine if private schools were the only option. How expensive do you think tuition would be without the non-profit, publicly funded option to compete with? What would become of Americans from low-income households, those with disabilities, and others who would not be accepted by the private schools? Luckily, early in our country’s history, public education was established simply because there was a need. It’s a privelege, not a right, just like public health insurance could be. Like public education, public health insurance would offer choice and competition.

• Spam Comment

scottowego 08/19/2009 6:32am

Are you a vet? you look like one in your pic. Welcome and we are all proud of you. But…. my question is: are you going to cancel your VA benefits? They are a socialized service. So will be the community or state college you attend after serving.

joeyjj 08/19/2009 11:26am

Private schools are better because people with more money send their kids there, not because everything private is intrinsically more efficient than everything public. Those kids have more opportunities and private schools have more money and more resources to teach them with.

An entirely privatized school system would not provide a fair chance for those who could not afford a “good” education for their children. Without a decent education, many of those kids would be unable to lift themselves out of poverty. It would just reinforce cyclical poverty. Are you for an American caste system?

Roxannestruppeck 08/19/2009 1:36pm

You are misinformed! Private schools run on far less money than public schools. Have you actually looked at the amount of money public schools get per child? Contact your local public school board and find out how much they spend per child. Then compare that figure to any private school tuition in your area. I dare you to actually do this! You will be totally amazed and disgusted with the public education system.

And how do you explain the fact that home schooled children out-perform both public and privately educated children even though these parents/teachers spend much, MUCH less money to educate their children and are of varied socioeconomic backgrounds. You see your logic, while sounds good, makes no reasonable sense.

FYI: Free enterprise is not a caste system. You might try a regular dictionary to educate yourself in this area. Also look up “communism” which is a form of socialism.

KD5NRH 09/13/2009 7:15am

Checking the numbers, our school district runs about $8,000 per student per year. Tuition at the only private school in the county (no competition, even) is $3,700 per student per year. Less than half the cost for a much better education.

HealthFacts 09/13/2009 7:43pm

KD5NRH,

Glad to here you have such a great system in your area, I am looking at the national numbers on the Department of Education site, so someone’s district out there is skewing the number back up it seems.