H.R.3200 - America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009

America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 view all titles (5)

• Official: America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as reported to house.

Displaying 421-450 of 2046 total comments.

Radion 08/31/2009 9:09am

I am amazed at just how little the American people know about such an important subject, the world looks on as a President tries to reform a shocking excuse for health care in the States.
    You don’t have health cover right now, what you all have is Insurance companies getting very fat from your premiums, and what you are paying for ,for the most,isn’t covered.
    Yet from what I read on here you still want more of the same….WHY?
    40,000,000 of your citizens don’t and cant get cover, because of costs, and pre-existing conditions…I am sorry but I am staggered by that amount and feel for families who worry about this lack of coverage daily.
    Other countries around the world look on at the country who is supposed to be leading the western world, not able to care for the health of its people, a very basic need now a days I would have thought, YES..bring in a reform and rush it through, because
    …you all need to open your eyes and see how you are all being screwed, shame on you all

earthtravel 09/10/2009 9:10pm

Yea, our “Governmant” we elected is so dumb and untrustworthy (but we love em’ so much we gave them to power to run our country) how could we ever also let the try to reduce health care costs, when we can leave that the the people who are making money from charging us more for it. (Mom, is this like the wolf and the sheep story?) Sorry where was I? oh yea, so let’s get our money in order before we try to save some (is that part of getting it in order? I’m so confused :) and then we can worry about our health care.

Wouldn’t want to go ahead and put health before money, after all this is America.

And we all know that we need more insurance company profits more than lower health care costs (still working on that getting our money in order thought).

earthtravel 09/11/2009 8:36pm

So you don’t trust the “Governmant” you elected? I’m not sure I would trust the “Governmant” you elected either, since we have don’t have a “Governmant”.

If you had actually read the bill, you would know that your statement is pointless.

FLarlene 09/12/2009 12:15pm

We should strive for healthcare for all Americans but anything that has to be rushed through is suspect?

Did you have that attitude every time Bush blew his war funding bills through?

Course not.

This is a political hot potato. Right trying to act like fiscal conservatives again. Like we forget what they did over the 8 years they were in office.

READ THE BILL

HealthFacts 09/13/2009 7:23am

All the facts here are public information and can be checked at the links below:

In February Deamonte Driver, a 12-year-old boy died because his family could not
    afford health insurance, meanwhile at United Health Care, Americas largest health
    insurance company the following people were paid (No Doctors):

Mr. Alan B. Miller $ 4,720,000.00
    Mr. Marc D. Miller $ 880,000.00
    Mr. Steve G. Filton $ 886,000.00
    Ms. Debra K. Osteen $ 876,000.00
    Mr. Michael Marquez $ 940.000.00

less than 0.00002% of there income would have saved his life, what is your child’s life worth?

57 people a day die from lack of health insurance, that’s over 2 an hour, how many hours or lives should we wait to get health care for all?

oderintdummetuant 09/13/2009 10:45am

You ask what my child’s life is worth and how many lives should we allow ourselves to lose before giving health care for all? (essentially, I’m paraphrasing because its you phrased it a little awkward…no offense I’m just sayin).

It is worth every life in this country to protect the freedoms that we earned at such dear cost. I’d give my life for those freedoms and the lives of my family as well as that of anyone else’s that might protect individual liberty.

To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.”
    -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

HealthFacts 09/13/2009 11:20am

oderintdummetuant,

Your quote is clearly missed used, no one is “taking because the other is making too much”.

But since you like Jefferson, how about – 1816 June 7. “…Every man is under the natural duty of contributing to the necessities of society; and this is all the laws should enforce on him.” (TJ to FGilmer, L&B.15.24)

And do you honestly believe that sacrificing every American life would benefit someone?

oderintdummetuant 09/13/2009 2:24pm

Sure they are, thats precisely what this bill is doing in terms of the taxes assessed for the payment of it. Also, pretty sure you mean “miss used” rather than “missed used”. Section 401 and Section 441.

Hmmm, “….contributing to the necessities of society…”. Necessities he said. He also said this…“Private charities as well as contributions to public purposes in proportion to everyone’s circumstances are certainly among the duties we owe to society.” —Thomas Jefferson to Charles Christian, 1812. ME 13:134

However reading the comments reveals none of these is given the power of Government mandate.

oderintdummetuant 09/13/2009 2:33pm

But lets look at some other thoughts he shared…
    “We, I hope, shall adhere to our republican government and keep it to its original principles by narrowly watching it.” -Thomas Jefferson to -——, March 18, 1793. ME 9:45
    A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned – this is the sum of good government.
    Thomas Jefferson
    “Lethargy [is] the forerunner of death to the public liberty.” —Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787.
    Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
    Thomas Jefferson

oderintdummetuant 09/13/2009 2:46pm

Those who believe nothing is worth fighting for, dying for or killing for…well they don’t live for much either. I never said sacrificing every American life would benefit someone. What I said is written below, my point was that there is no life whose worth is more than freedom. All these people are so eager to give up there freedom seeking security and they deserve neither.

oderintdummetuant 09/13/2009 6:05pm

Oh, I thought I’d throw one more in….
    Money, not morality, is the principle commerce of civilized nations.
    Thomas Jefferson

earthtravel 09/13/2009 6:36pm

oderintdummetuant,

Now doesn’t all this look a little silly, now that we have shined the dictionary light it?

“Roads, schools, fire department, county park, city water, county park employee, county nursing home and police all STATE not FEDERAL. You really have the most primitive concept of what socialism, fascism, communism and capitalism each are. State funded programs are far different from federal. Don’t be simpleminded and think that one thing translates to the other…., or do whatever. Talk about oblivious.”

oderintdummetuant 09/14/2009 6:40am

Not at all earthtravel, considering your short story has nothing to do with this thread. I know you are under the impression it is applicable but its really not. When any “socialized” program is forced on the people it is in fact oppression (or a violation of rights). Police, fire fighters, infrastructure…these things aren’t forced. The citizenry enjoys and pays for these services as a matter of civilization. I mean I know you are all for this and what not, but you realize that the same people that oppose this bill are the one’s willing to fight…in the streets, against it.

Money, not morality, is the principle commerce of civilized nations.
    Thomas Jefferson

earthtravel 09/14/2009 8:53am

oderintdummetuant,

Well since these aren’t “forced”, I’ll just tell my property tax assessor that I prefer not to “contribute” this year and see how well that goes. – wtfyfi

I can lead you to the dictionary, I can read it to you, but I can’t stop you from refusing to understand it.

I hope you do go to the streets and fight, we’ll have a better chance of culling the herd.

oderintdummetuant 09/14/2009 10:19am

And you can do that if you so desire. What you refuse to understand is that the majority do not see health insurance or health care as a right…, and they are right. These other “socialistic” services you referred to are societal necessities for the furtherance of the whole. Social norms, accepted societal contract whatever you want to call it, thats what these are a part of. You can still choose to live outside all these…, you just can’t do it where ever you want. The benefit for me in not supporting this ideology (public healthcare) is that the proponents of it are the ones suffering from a lack of health care…hopefully culling the herd for the rest of us that exercise individual responsibility and aren’t lined up at the teat waiting for our turn.
    Believe what you want clown.

• Moderated Comment

oderintdummetuant 09/14/2009 5:11pm

Anywhere clown, I didn’t say it’d be a life like you lead now, or even one you could handle. People are doing it all over the country, ever been to D.C.

The fundamental difference is in our ideology is what is a right and what is a privilege. Its a pretty simple matter. I don’t believe nor will I ever believe it is someone else’s responsibility to provide for my health care nor is it my responsibility to care for anyone else’s outside of whom I…individually choose.

Bodily decay is gloomy in prospect, but of all human contemplations the most abhorrent is body without mind.
    Thomas Jefferson

Force is the vital principle and immediate parent of despotism.
    Thomas Jefferson

oderintdummetuant 09/14/2009 5:17pm

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    Thomas Jefferson
    Never spend your money before you have earned it.
    Thomas Jefferson
    Nothing is unchangeable but the inherent and unalienable rights of man.
    Thomas Jefferson
    I believe the entire quote you partially cited earlier follows..
    Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning.
    Thomas Jefferson
    ….seriously I can go all day

oderintdummetuant 09/14/2009 10:21am

HA. I had people negative rate my comment for quoting a founding father. Sheep.

DennisRone 09/13/2009 1:09pm

The federal government’s job is to keep private enterprise in check, NOT to take over private enterprise. If the only way that our current congressional leaders can think of to “fix” health care is to take it over, then I think it is time to elect some new people to congress. The country that landed people on the moon, and did so many other amazing things, can surely think of a better way to reform our health care system than to literally take it over. Democrats, your attempt to grab more power this way will be remembered as a thinly veiled attempt to create a socialist state. Republicans, your lack of clear, loud and continuing opposition will be remembered as letting all Americans down at a time when we needed you. Find a different way. Whatever changes you ultimately make, have some class and sign up for the same health care that the rest of us get. It is shameful for congress to exempt itself from the laws that it expects other citizens to live by.

NEPatriot 09/13/2009 4:31pm

If the doctors, insurance comapanies, drug cos., and lawyers like it isn’t a bill that will lower costs. Watch how those groups react. Lower costs mean those groups will get less of our money.

myboysmom 09/18/2009 6:45am

I agree! Quit rushing….it’s not usually a positive action that is being done when the people involved are rushing it through!

I hope congress gets a clue with how we are all voting and start over from scratch!

bhumphreys52 09/18/2009 10:44am

I find it foolish that anyone would think that we are rushing health care reform. We have been debating this since 1946 it is time to get it done. No one who has look at health care in american can honestly say that the system is good. The system simply sucks and everyone knows it. Over 70% of the doctors in this country support some kind of health care reform. That statistic should tell you something about our health care system. I applaud the President for pushing the congress to get something done. So if you think that your rights are violated because you would need to have health care and be forced to pay a reasonable fee then my rights would be violated if you don’t have health insurance and I end up paying for your emergency care. Health care is not a business it is something that as a nation we should always strive to improve. So quit complaining about the time frame and start discussing what needs to be done.

abaratar 10/18/2009 7:54pm

pssst. opencongress has a pretty intelligent audience, ie your over 70% of doctors comment is flat out retarded, you are trying to imply that they support government health care, when that 70% could just want tort reform or higher medicaid reimbursements, please go play your stupid word games elsewhere.

jordynwall 09/22/2009 7:00am

Right I agree. It may work, eventually, but I think people are trying to push this thing through to fast. We are all getting wiplash from the break neck speed that poltions are trying get this thing in. I think they need to give people more of a chance to look at what is really going on with this issue.

bhumphreys52 09/25/2009 12:30pm

I will say again, we have been debating this issue since 1946. No one is ramming anything. If you don’t trust your representative then work to vote him out of office. Our President has strived to tell the truth in a sea of misleading innuendos and outright lies that are motivated by those who want to see him fail. This issue is to important and needs to be done now. We have waited a long time and debated this issue over and over. All side agrees that the system is broken. The wait has cost us trillions of dollars and countless lives have been ruined. It is not only time to do this it is the only thing to do. The Federal Government is proven to be better at spending your health care dollars than any of the insurance companies, period. We will spend a lot more of OUR money if we don’t reform health care now.

bkrueg 09/26/2009 7:04am

YOU ARE BUYING INTO A PIG IN POKE.
    Posted September 25th, 2009 at 9.04am in Health Care. Author: Conn Carroll
    The Congressional Budget Office (CBO), the independent nonpartisan agency responsible for reviewing legislative initiatives with budgetary implications, has no idea what is in the legislation. The CBO realized only after the vote, that they had made a $600 million mistake in scoring an amendment by Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI).
    The issues that the CBO does not have enough information to analyze are not minor either. In letters released on September 22nd, CBO Director Doug Elmendorf told Chairman Max Baucus (D-MT) and Ranking Member Chuck Grassley (R-IA) respectively that his agency simply had not been provided with sufficient legislative language and time to analyze whether insurance premiums would go up under Obamacare or how many unauthorized billions of dollars in health benefits illegal immigrants would receive.

bhumphreys52 09/26/2009 9:14am

I am not buying a pig in a poke, but I think you don’t understand what health care cost our nation today. Lets use your example, the CBO estimated that Americans will spend 33 trillion dollars in the next ten years on health care. The purposed of health care reform is to manage the 33 trillion so that we get the best care for our dollars. Today we spend more and get less than many other countries. The differences and what needs to be reformed is not in question it is how it is reformed that we need to discuss.

Just what would you do if you found a bleeding illegal in the street in front of your house?

abaratar 10/18/2009 7:59pm

name one country that provides better health care(making sick people better) regardless of income then the US, you can’t we have the best treatments and survival rates in the world

LucasFoxx 10/19/2009 6:37pm